Profile for Bill Clark > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bill Clark RSS Feed (Vermont, USA and elsewhere)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Ozeri ZK13-5PW Touch II Professional Digital Kitchen Scale with Microban Antimicrobial Product Protection
Price: $29.20
4 used & new from $28.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegantly designed little scale, April 8, 2014
This is a sweet little scale. The controls are simple and the readout is highly visible. The large flat surface will accept the item to be weighed directly, or simply place empty plate or bowl on it and press 'Tare' and the scale zeroes out, ready for something to be added to the container. And it is so thin that I store it on a shelf standing up like a book.

Princess of Wands (Special Circumstances Book 1)
Princess of Wands (Special Circumstances Book 1)
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Had me wanting the next installment, January 11, 2014
No pretensions to great literature, but an engaging story and an amusing take on theology. Likeable, if not particularly credible, principal character(s). Fun read for those who like this sort of thing (which, not entirely to my shame, I do.)

Hidden Springs Maple Organic Vermont Maple Syrup (Multiple Grades/Sizes) (Grade A Medium, Half Gallon)
Offered by Hidden Springs Maple
Price: $42.75

5.0 out of 5 stars prompt delivery & great product, price, December 22, 2013
prompt delivery, great product & price for REAL Vermont maple syrup, not the Quebec version (which is good, but not the same.)

Haflinger GZ65 Classic Grizzly Clog,Chocolate,45 EU/Women's 14 M US/Men's 12 M US
Offered by Shoebuy
Price: $107.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality product but beware of fit problems, November 19, 2013
Based on the quality of the clog I would rate these at least 4 stars (maybe not 5, as I think they may be a tad overpriced.)

However when I received my Men's size 12 clogs -- and I've always worn a size 11.5 shoe, but sometimes need a 12 -- I couldn't even insert my foot half-way into the clog. I will try the next higher size...if I can find it.

Apple Time Capsule 2TB ME177LL/A [NEWEST VERSION]
Apple Time Capsule 2TB ME177LL/A [NEWEST VERSION]
Price: $277.99
27 used & new from $242.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Top-of-the-line personal backup solution for Mac, November 13, 2013
Highly functional right out of the box -- excellent "no worries" backup solution for Mac, plus *very* fast Wifi -- I noticed a ~10% boost in throughput relative to my Linksys router it replaced. Would give it 5 stars but for two items:
1. Price is high (duh, it's Apple)
2. Apple-style management utility (Airport Utility) makes more advanced functions (e.g. what local IP addresses have been allocated to which devices?) needlessly difficult to find.

Clickfree 500GB Wireless 2.5" Portable
Clickfree 500GB Wireless 2.5" Portable

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, November 13, 2013
Could not get it to work with my Macbook Pro, even after email chat with their tech support. This model is no longer supported.

Calphalon No Peek? Waffle Maker
Calphalon No Peek? Waffle Maker
Price: $99.95
21 used & new from $83.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdily built, large capacity and fast, June 28, 2013
I'd been living without a waffle iron for a few years, but my first grandson is now of an age to enjoy such a treat (and my brother-in-law is a major maple syrup producer) so I got a Black & Decker from my local hardware store -- all they had. This was a reasonable, cheap waffle iron and I have no complaints about the quality of the waffles it produced. But I was immediately reminded of one of the biggest problems attending the production of a waffle breakfast: the rate at which waffles can be produced. The B&D iron took about 5 minutes to bake a waffle, and the product was small-ish... share-able by at most two people.

Luckily, this waffle iron fell apart after a dozen uses (hinge broke), so I felt justified in ordering an upgrade; I settled on the Calphalon.

Thus far I've only used it once, but I'm very pleased with everything about it:
1. It's large, producing a huge 4-part square waffle, each large enough for one (small) serving.
2. It's *fast* -- though the first waffle seemed to take 3-4 minutes, the second couldn't have taken more than 2.
3. Good non-stick coating.
4. Beautifully simple controls: twist the dial to the desired brown-ness, wait 'til the LEDs advance to that level, then pour your batter and close. When the waffle is done a clearly-audible chime sounds.
5. Stores well; the electric cord is wound up in the base, and the overall profile is square and flat.

Polk Audio Surroundbar IHT 3000 Home Entertainment System (Black)
Polk Audio Surroundbar IHT 3000 Home Entertainment System (Black)
Offered by IQ HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Price: $249.95
14 used & new from $124.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An elegant solution, January 10, 2013
I love my (relatively new) Samsung UN40D6000 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (Black) [2011 MODEL], but have come to realize that the flat/thin form factor really does come at a cost in sound quality -- there's only so much they can do with rear-facing speakers that are less than 1" deep. This is particularly a problem with movies (DVD or online) where the dialog is often in the context of a complex soundscape -- my hearing isn't what it once was.

I have a couple of other challenges that any solution must meet:

Space: The room is not large and the TV is mounted in a cabinet between the fireplace and a wall. We built the cabinet because we don't want the TV to dominate the room when not in use, and want any additional components to fit into this scheme.

Complexity: I'm reasonably technology-literate and can deal with some multi-device interactions, but this sort of thing sends my wife into a tizzy. It's vital that the various components -- TV, video source (cable/DVD) and sound system -- "just work" as much as possible with a single remote.

The Polk Soundbar3000 IHT is an elegant solution...so far, at least.

What makes it "elegant":

- It's designed to work with your TV remote: via a remarkably-simple "training" process, you program its basic audio functions (on/off, volume up/down/mute) to follow your remote's codes.

- It's relatively thin and lightweight (compared to a Vizio soundbar I first tried). It sits securely (on built-in "feet") on a shelf or is easily mounted on the wall or (via add-on brackets) on the TV itself.

- The subwoofer is wireless: you can put it anywhere in the room without the hassle of running a wire to it.

It took about 15 minutes to get the thing set up (including drilling a couple of holes for power cords and "training" it to my remote.)

Caveats:

1. I doubt it will thrill serious audiophiles: this isn't true "surround sound" nor is it even the highest quality "soundbar" available. But it's a _substantial_ upgrade to your TV's sound.

2. It's still a separate component, and as such is still somewhat vulnerable to an "out of synch" state (which can always happen with a universal remote controlling multiple devices at once.) Possibly (not sure I understand the tech) if it were HDMI-with-return equipped, this would be less of an issue.

Additional note: I read other reviewers' comments re wifi interference, and preemptively set my wireless access point (router) to use channel 11. I have not experienced any problems as yet.

AmazonBasics USB Charging and Sync Cable for Apple iPhone 4, iPod, and iPad 3rd Generation - 3.2 Feet (1.0 Meter)
Price: $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The cable seems sound, but doesn't work well for me, January 8, 2013
I've generally found the AmazonBasics cables to be a good value, but this turned out to be an exception for me.

I have a Lunatik Taktik case for my iPhone 4S because I'm paranoid about damaging this rather expensive device. This case has a tight seal around the 30-pin socket at the bottom. The regular Apple cable fits well -- snug, but not problematic. The AmazonBasics cable has a somewhat larger plastic casing around the 30-pin plug, and I find that I must "jam it in" with great effort...and even greater effort when removing. I'm pretty uncomfortable when I find myself grunting and straining to insert or remove a cable...too much likelihood of something expensive being damaged. So I will be returning these (I bought two) and buying the ridiculously-expensive Apple cables instead.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent espresso grinder for the price, October 11, 2012
I've finally found a good $200-or-less grinder for espresso. Having tried the Breville BCG800XL Smart Grinder -- which produced an excellent grind, but jammed after a few uses -- and the KitchenAid Pro Line Series Burr Coffee Mill, Onyx Black -- which was unable to produce a fine enough grind for espresso -- this device seems to have what it takes.

There are some limitations:

1. The grinder is SLOW. The noise level is moderate, suggesting a relatively slow rotation speed, which is good. But it takes 30 seconds or so to produce enough ground coffee to fill a double-espresso filter basket.

2. There is no timer or other mechanism to "set" the grind amount.

3. The removable plastic receptacle that catches the grind is semi-opaque -- in the morning light of my kitchen I cannot see how much grind has accumulated.

I'd love to have the UI of the Breville (which lets you set the grind, set the amount, then press "Go") with the reliability of this grinder. But I can live with it: I'm learning to set a timer (about 90 seconds for my usual morning jolt.) These issues keep me from giving the item 5 stars, but I still consider it excellent value for the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4