Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Learn more
Profile for Nameless Faceless User > Reviews

Browse

Nameless Faceles...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 311

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nameless Faceless User RSS Feed (Holbrook, NY USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Surface Pro 3 Case, ESR New Intelligent Series Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Tablet Case Folio Case Stand Case with Scratch Resistant Pure Polycarbonate Back Plate (Black)
Offered by ESR Case
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Painful tactile feel, August 27, 2015
The case has a fine plastic fabric-like rough surface which causes me pain to hold it in my hand. It's difficult to describe - like chalk scratching on a chalkboard, but for touch rather than sound. From reading other reviews, I appear to be alone in my assessment. I had to return it.

ChefLand 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
ChefLand 8-Piece Deluxe Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Measuring Spoon Set
Price: $9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away, July 28, 2015
I was lured in by the good reviews and cheap price. Not only would I not put food into these things, the markings for the measurement are very faint or unreadable. This is something I would not expect to pay more than a buck for in a dollar store.

junk.

Ugreen USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Male Converter Adapter Cable with FTDI Chipset Gold Plated Driverless for Win8.1/8, Compatible with 8/7/Vista/XP//2000 and Mac OS X 10.6 and Above , 10ft/3m
Offered by UGREEN GROUP LIMITED
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No driver needed for 10.10, July 22, 2015
I just plugged this in on my Mac running Yosemite and it came right up. I still went to FTDI's website and grabbed the latest driver anyway - again, no problems at all.

This replaced the previous "golden standard" Keyspan USA-19HS which was giving me all kinds of grief on Apple's latest operating system. Coming out of hibernation, my bluetooth as well as the Keyspan serial adapter would lock up. Downloading the latest drivers gave me a kernel panic. I wound up removing everything and starting over with FTDI.

The drivers are signed by Apple and appears to be included in the latest Yosemite build as well - just plug it in and check your /dev/ directory to see where it's at. I like the flat cable and just bought a second one for my Windows PC as well.

brite-View BV-5005HD Mini CinemaGo 3-in-1 1080p Full HD Networking Multimedia Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Could find none better, July 14, 2015
This is my second brite-view box, not finding anything better. I love the fact I can throw just about anything at it, include DVD .iso files and it will play it. I connect via smb on the Mac and dump my files into a directory then play it back on the TV. I've given up on wireless anything - wireless printing, wireless streaming, etc so I've got a hard line connected to it.

Although it supports a wide variety of HD formats for an external drive, the only format which worked without it crashing was NTFS. You can power it off, but it does not like to stay off. It will wake up if it senses any IR commands from any IR remote. I just put a piece of black tape over the front.

Oddly enough, it plays great over UPnP using Serviio once I forwarded the port on the router. It will connect to my older Mac but not my newer Mac for file browsing and I've lost patience trying to figure out why since UPnP works fine from the same machine.

The company still kinda sorta supports it but they're more difficult to find in stock and it doesn't look like anyone is developing updated firmware for it. If you're looking for something which plays many formats, is somewhat functional, and you are willing to put up with the quirks - you should give this box a try.

Perhaps the company will once again invest some money into a next generation product because I couldn't find anything as functional from the competition.

Samsung UN28H4000 Refurbished 28-Inch LED 720p 120CMR HDTV
Samsung UN28H4000 Refurbished 28-Inch LED 720p 120CMR HDTV
Price: $159.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good things in small packages, July 9, 2015
I purchased a refurbished Samsung 28 inch LED 720p TV to replace the 32 inch "SmartTV" which smoked and died after just 4 days in service. Disappointed with how little I received in exchange for a huge price tag, I decided to go to the opposite extreme - let's get something really cheap, factory refurbished.

My first apprehension was that whatever caused the set to be refurbished could still possibly re-surface. Since I already had to ship back a broken TV, the fear of the unknown was overcome by the desire to save a few bucks. It was shipped in its original box with all the accessories although the box was covered with shipping labels and looked well traveled.

The TV itself was spotless and there was no indication other than it was delivered right from the factory. It has a USB media browser which was far superior to Samsung's "SmartTV" browser i.e. the downgrade in software was an improvement. Like other appliances, it did not recognize the exFAT partition but FAT16 came up just fine on the USB stick.

There are just enough tweaks to adjust the picture to clarity. Mind you, watching mp4's on a 28 inch monitor brings out all the motion artifacts (blurry blotches during fast motion). The sound is decent and has significant low frequency response so I do not feel compelled to run out and buy a sound bar for it. It's far less quirky and has less picture and sound adjustments than the higher end "SmartTV" yet was easier to setup.

Compared to a television costing 3.3x as much, I'm actually happier with this cheaper, refurbished one.

One advisory - 28 inch flat panel is good for a bedroom, man cave, or small livingroom while being too large for a kitchen. If you have a larger area, consider 32 inch to be the smallest you want to go as this may leave you unsatisfied.

Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure [Silver Aluminum Finish] (EC-UM30)
Offered by Store4PC
Price: $19.99
19 used & new from $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Fail, July 8, 2015
It drew too much current to work on a powered USB2 hub. When plugged directly into the USB3 hub, it worked for less than an hour before total failure. Removing the drive, I switched to another enclosure and the files returned. So, total waste of time and money.

I suggest buying this instead: Sentey® Aluminum HDD Enclosure USB 3.0 & Esata Aluminum Housing Ls-6310 -Support Esata, Case for 9.5mm & 12.5mm 2.5" Sata-i, Sata-ii, Sata-iii HDD & SSD - For Imac, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, Macbook, and Mac Mini or Any Pc

Samsung UN32J6300 32-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV (2015 Model)
Samsung UN32J6300 32-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV (2015 Model)
Price: Click here to see our price
26 used & new from $369.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Died in less than a week, July 4, 2015
In the industry, it's known as infant mortality - that is electronics which tend to fail will do so shortly after they've been put into service. Doing some quick searches it appears that Samsung needs to investigate their power supply design. It started as quirky behavior, like the screen suddenly becoming very dim or ignoring my picture settings. The picture did not always look as good as nice as the LCD which was to replace it, my Samsung LN32B530. It is an older model, also getting lackluster mid-range quality picture reviews which are probably rumors started by manufacturers trying to sell you 4K TV's. This new LED set looked better, sometimes. Other times everything looked odd.

I toned down much of the auto power conservation settings and motion smoothing which made the picture look dark and fuzzy. After a few days of adjustments it still didn't look right... then it died and I needed to return it.

Aside from LED vs. LCD, all the things I was trying to improve by upgrading was the "smart TV" features. The apps - yea, nothing I could really use. It gave me the 3rd or 4th way to access Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube. The Amazon and Pandora apps never worked, telling me I was in the wrong country (I wasn't). The built-in web browser does not accept cookies, making it difficult to navigate. The mini keyboard and mouse I ordered for the TV never really worked right with it, if at all.

It pulled streaming content off my Mac easily enough after I installed Serviio as well as running off the USB hard drive. But, the media browser would display only the first 8 characters of every filename in a difficult to read tile type display. I miss that feature, until I figured out the Roku 3 will do all of that and I already owned one. I just needed to add the USB and Media player channels - and, it's works better, other than the Roku works with a USB stick but not a hard drive.

I'm glad the thing smoked and died, forcing me to return it. Had it been the only set in the house, I would have replaced it with a new one with an extended warranty. But, rather, I've decided to buy a refurbished set for empty room and keep my older Samsung LCD. The color is wonderful and it's proven itself.

Sumsonic S300 Extreme Edition Wide Angle Full HD 1080p 140 Degree Wide Angle Waterproof Sports Diving Action Video Camera with Full Mounting Kit Included (S300 Black)
Offered by Gotobuy-USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, July 3, 2015
You get a lot for the money for this cheap action cam. The audio is great. The video can be set to one of three different resolutions. And, it uses SD cards (not microSD). SD cards are easier to deal with. Recording inside did amazingly well in low light. The LCD is low resolution yet provides quick feedback on settings and video.

There are some differences between the S300 and the S200. The S300 is more low profile and does not use a touch screen nor does it have an HDMI output port. There is also no AV cable provided with the S300.

The on-screen menus provide a way to format the card and set the time and date. Output format is .avi which the Mac has no problems with, but the file size is a bit large. At VGA low resolution, an 8 gig card provides just under 2 hours of video.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 6, 2015 2:43 PM PDT

Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic
Offered by Pro Ebiz
Price: Click here to see our price
23 used & new from $210.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicest GPS I've owned, June 5, 2015
GPS units have come a long way in the past 5+ years but I've been putting off buying one because they look exactly the same and do the same thing. But, with processors getting faster, screens getting larger, and prices coming down - not to mention lifetime map updates and traffic with no pop-up ads, I decided to upgrade

The Garmin 2797 is just a sweet unit. In a small SUV I thought the size was perfect, although that big bright screen depletes the battery very quickly. My last Nuvi 500 I would charge in the morning and it was good to just toss on the dash for a couple of days. With the 2797, the battery is there just for brief periods of time so you can change the settings and add a waypoint or two with the main power off.

It's heavy. Twice the unit went flying on the bean bag mount when I made a sharp turn. I needed to tape some non-skid material to the bottom to keep the beast from slamming against the right door on a turn. Luckily the unit is made very sturdy and is no worse for wear taking a few knocks.

I use Basecamp and Google Maps to enter lat/lon coordinates as well as the street address. Still, the routing feature has difficulties with entrances to malls so it just guesses. Bear in mind, although they appear intelligent, they're really quite dumb and should be considered a navigation aid rather than being in command of your trip i.e. know where you're going and how to get there and understand it's ok to ignore the instructions being given to you by this gadget.

Mine spoke English but I wanted it to speak with a British accent. Venturing to the Garmin WebUpdater said I could update voices, but only to "fun" voices like Yetti. I did find an update for the voice, selected it on the GPS, but it went mute. This was my only question to tech support. Apparently, to add additional languages, you need to use Garmin Express, drill down to "other files" which hide a few updates with a note telling you that they're not needed. Ignoring the comment, I installed "English" since there was nothing marked British English. This did the trick and installed all the English flavours of voices including Australian English.

Voice command - meh. It does better with street numbers and names which it can pull from its street database rather than restaurant names and poi's, which may not even be available. After a week I turned off the map layer for poi's because it was too cluttered and easily accessible from the "up ahead" feature. Voice works great for when you're stuck in traffic and just want to tell it, "Go Home!" without taking your hand of the wheel.

Keep all your cables as Garmin uses unused pins on the mini and micro USB connectors. You can hack an ordinary cable up to use with it, but it's nearly not worth it. The software is running wonderfully on the Mac's Yosemite. Almost no issues, except that Basecamp's UI gets confused if you update a field and click another tab before updating the value. Just don't do that. I also block Basecamp's internet connection because I couldn't find a way to opt out of anonymous data usage tracking by Garmin. No means no.

Map updates were a breeze, although it takes several hours for the full continental U.S. to install. I have not needed the microSD card as there is tons of memory available. When I first bought my Nuvi 500, I was able to add points by manually editing the XML files, placing them on the SD card, and rebooting. The method is still the same, but now done entirely thru BaseCamp. Or, simply talk to it and tell it the address you're interested in. It's very good.

I love all the information on the screen, which includes the intersection I'm approaching on top with the road I'm on at the bottom. Additional trip information is available at the touch of a button. As a turn is approaching, the screen gently zooms in for the best detail, then promptly zooms out after I've made the turn. If I ignore a suggested turn, it doesn't get all verbose and starts to yell at me. Rather, the next suggested turn quietly appears as it quietly re-calculates the route. Every time I start the car the next day, it assumes that I arrived at my destination and doesn't try to navigate me "home" when I'm starting from there. And, if I start driving, it displays the map without me having to reach over and touch the screen.

Oh.. but, I *hate* this feature. This is where my new travel companion crossed a line with me. You might ask, What can an inanimate object do to make the hair on the back of my neck come up? After a week of driving, the GPS learned which waypoint I was traveling to every day, my place of work. On Friday, rather than the GPS faithfully giving me upcoming intersections, it ASSUMED that I was on my way to work, told me what time I would arrive at work, and what traffic I would encounter on my way to work! No No No NO!

Who are you? My boss? Computers are slaves and shall not take that tone with me. It guessed correctly that I was on my way to work and when I arrived I deleted all the accumulated routing information as it yelled at me for erasing its memory. It was pretty handy, I admit, but it crossed a line with me.

Bemis 200SLOWT 044 Whisper Close Round Closed Front Toilet Seat, Cerulean Blue
Bemis 200SLOWT 044 Whisper Close Round Closed Front Toilet Seat, Cerulean Blue
Price: $47.78
4 used & new from $47.78

5.0 out of 5 stars So what's in a toilet seat..., June 1, 2015
Who spends this much money on a toilet seat? I found one "open box" (don't judge me) for a bit less. I've been a big fan of wood seats, which is the only material I've used at home. I've tried hard resin and padded seats. The last seat was really small and I had to wiggle onto it like was sitting on the opening of a coffee can.

Since I found it on special, I grabbed the self-closing feature model. The mounting bolts - everyone has their own design for how to mount the bolts. These are clever, tho the instructions aren't very good. I found the best way was to unlock the tabs, push the bolts in, lock the tabs, then mount the seat. Centering the seat is important before you tighten the bolts which really needs to be done with a 1/2 inch socket wrench. Forget about using an open end wrench. Just ratchet tight and the outer portion snaps off once you've reached the proper torque to protect the fixture. Yet, it leaves plenty to grab to remove at a later time.

The color - wow, it was spot-on for the fixture I had, this powder blue. The self-closing feature? eh. yes, You can just tap the lid closed and it will slowly close without making a sound. But, not the bottom portion - only the lid. It does come in handy.

So, about the fit? again, wow. This is the most comfortable seat I've ever used. It looks great and feels great. I can't believe they've given me such a roomy seat.

Cons? Just two minor ones. Since the bolts self-destruct when installing, it would be nice to have a spare set of bolts since the quick-release mechanism is non-standard. The other is that the plastic appears to scratch easily. It is comfortable, flexible, and doesn't have that "cheap" feel. But, it has a gloss finish which appears to scuff easily if it comes in contact with something hard.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20