Profile for DanC NJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DanC NJ RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Dorman 79600 Replacement Tailgate Door Handle
Dorman 79600 Replacement Tailgate Door Handle
Offered by Nikki Auto Parts
Price: $14.90
21 used & new from $12.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, direct replacement., September 27, 2014
Direct replacement for my 2002 Sequoia. Well made, heavier than OEM part. Plenty of help available online to help with installation.

MELNOR Metal Oscillating Sprinkler, 3600 Square Feet
MELNOR Metal Oscillating Sprinkler, 3600 Square Feet
Price: $15.99
6 used & new from $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the cost, so far., June 22, 2014
This is kind of sad, having to review a lawn sprinkler. But, after having 3 cheap plastic sprinklers break so far this season, I'm hoping this will help others. 2 of the cheap sprinklers, broke within a couple weeks, where the hose attaches to the sprinkler, and one of them the frame also broke when I stepped on it. The third didn't last a week , had a problem where the o-ring and retaining washer would not hold the metal tube into the plastic body (was able to fix that by heating the plastic body with a lighter, and deforming the spot where the metal sprinkler inserts, making it off round).

So, after reading several reviews, I decided to buy this. Although a small sample, this is the only one I could find with no negative reviews, the lowest being 3 stars.

I like the metal frame, gives it some weight, and might survive being stepped on once or twice . I also like the adjustment system, simple and effective. The only problem I had is mine did not fan the water evenly side to side. The one side would rotate almost all the way to 90 degrees from the top, and the other direction it would only spread the water slightly past top/center. I was able to fix this by taking it apart, and rotating the black plastic piece that is around the sprinkler tube. It takes some strength, and a good grip to get it to rotate, but I was able to get it pretty close to center, where it should have been from the factory.

If this thing lasts the rest of this season, and all of next, I will be happy considering the cost.

2 x RCA Male, 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female, Y-Cable 6-Inch
2 x RCA Male, 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female, Y-Cable 6-Inch
Offered by STUFF TO BUY
Price: $1.44
121 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Expected, February 13, 2014
Bought this to use a set of 2.1 computer speakers with a new TV with poor sound. I plugged this into the audio out jacks on my cable box, and disabled the volume lock on the cable box so I could control the volume with the remote. The TV does not have a headphone jack, and the volume is not able to be controlled with the remote when using the audio out jacks on the TV. It worked out really well, a major upgrade in sound,and cost me less than 3 dollars.

Olympus SZ-12 14MP Digital Camera with 24x Wide-Angle Zoom (Silver) (Old Model)
Olympus SZ-12 14MP Digital Camera with 24x Wide-Angle Zoom (Silver) (Old Model)
23 used & new from $51.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the Camera So Far - Have a Question, November 7, 2012
I just received this camera, and after playing around with it for an hour or so, I really like it. The features that are packed into this compact camera are impressive to say the least. It's a very well thought out design. The controls are very friendly, I especially like the flash release. It has enough manual settings in program mode to satisfy me for when IAuto isn't doing the job. The performance indoors, even without the flash is outstanding. I will update this review when I have used the camera more, but I have a question I hope someone can answer.

When I press the shutter release halfway down, the camera makes a buzzing/static like noise while auto focusing. It might be normal for this camera, but I'm not sure, and I am trying to decide if I should return it. I've owned many digital cameras, and I've never had one make this kind of noise when focusing.

EDIT to ADD: The dual image stabilization is what is making all the noise. It has 3 settings in the menu, on...off.... and ...while exposing. Mine came with it set on from the factory, but for photo shooting, it should be set to "while exposing." I can't hear the noise at all now except for when I intentionally set it for a very long exposure in night scene mode. I will turn it "on" when shooting video, but oddly enough the camera is completely silent when shooting video.

I would highly recommend this camera. It's a good size, a little larger than a standard compact, but much smaller than the larger P&S models. It can be slow to focus at times, but that is to be expected for a camera in this price range, I paid 149 new, w/free shipping. The images are better than I'd expected, again, considering the price. The flash is adequate for what it is intended, and well designed. The battery performs well, but an additional battery and external charger are a good investment, and can be found very inexpensive on Amazon.

I've upped my review to 5 stars. I don't see how anyone could ask for more than 14MP, and 24X zoom in a compact design at this price point, that consistently produces accurate exposures in most situations. This camera is not my best camera, but will get much more use than my Pen E-PL1 because of it's convenient size and versatility.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2012 1:32 PM PST

Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm II f/3.5-5.6 MSC Micro Zoom Lens (Black) for OM-D EM-5, PEN E-P2, E-PL2, E-P3, E-PL3, E-PM1 & Panasonic Micro 4/3 Digital Cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Lens after firmware update, October 8, 2012
For a kit lens, it does the job. I bought it as a factory demo/refurb from Cameta, and for $100 I'm pleased. I bought it for my Pen E-PL1. It takes excellent shots outdoors in bright sunlight. It is hit or miss in low light situations, especially indoors. The auto focus is completely silent, and very fast after the firmware upgrade to 1.1.

Because this lens retracts, it's very compact, and makes a very nice general use lens.

Although I primarily use legacy, manual focus, prime lenses with my Pen, this lens is pretty much a must have, for when auto focus is a must, and for video. It's the only reasonably priced Micro 4/3 lens I've seen.

Nikon Coolpix P100 10 MP Digital Camera with 26x Optical Vibration Reduction (VR) Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) (OLD MODEL)
Offered by Electromax
Price: $485.00
31 used & new from $70.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointed - 3.5 stars, October 8, 2012
I bought this as a factory refurb for $159, so I shouldn't complain too much. I have an Olympus Pen E-PL1 that I am very pleased with, but I wanted a do-it-all camera with a lot of zoom. I like that it has a EVF, even though it's not very good, and the tilt LCD is a nice feature. I mostly bought this over some other models because of the back lit CMOS sensor. I was expecting better image quality, and I am relatively pleased. I believe most reviewers on here bashing this camera for image quality have unreasonable expectations. It is still a P&S camera, not a DSLR.

The indoor/poor lighting image quality is actually better than I expected. The 1080p video is nice, and the camera does an adequate job keeping focus, even though there is some lag when zooming in or out. The zoom works well, and it is possible to get good shots without a tripod when at full zoom, thanks to the VR. Manual controls are nice, and user friendly.

My main problem with this camera is the quality of the build. Although it's a good size, and lightweight, it just feels cheap. The lens is sloppy, rattles when you shake the camera. Because of the play in the lens assembly, there is some sag when at full extension. Like others, I have experienced 2 lens errors, but have not had a hard lock up, and have not had to pull the battery. The lens error seems to happen after shooting video, then going back to shooting photos, it stops responding, then generates an error message, thinking the lens cap might be on.

I just updated the firmware from V1.0 to V1.2, and I will edit this review later if this resolves the lens error problem. There is one fix in the V1.1 update that sounds like it could resolve the issue. As far as the firmware update, that's a little disappointing also. You must have a SD card reader to move the file from your PC to the SD Card, you cannot move it to the card via the camera. I was able to update the firmware for my Pen online, a much simpler process.

Here is the firmware update fixes:
[Version 1.2]
"When the monitor was turned on by pressing the power switch or shutter-release button, or by rotating the mode dial, after the camera had entered standby mode with the auto off function with the Welcome screen set to any option other than None (default setting), monitor display was completely black with only information displayed. Further, when the shutter-release button was pressed halfway with this monitor display, the view through the lens was displayed, but the display included a significant amount of noise."

[Version 1.1]
* Distortion control and Auto bracketing can now be enabled at the same time.
* An issue that caused light sources to appear green with continuous shooting in Night landscape scene mode has been resolved.
* When the camera was turned on by pressing the playback button with the mode dial set to "U" (user setting mode), and the MENU button then pressed, an error message was displayed. This issue has been resolved.
* An issue that prevented the zoom from operating when the zoom control was pressed in the "T" direction and then immediately pressed in the "W" direction has been resolved.
* An issue that prevented the shutter speed display from blinking when the shutter speed specified with the mode dial set to "S" would result in under-exposure has been resolved.

I have owned several cameras from different manufacturers, and this is the poorest build quality I've seen. This is my first, and probably last Nikon. For what I paid for it, and for what I need it for, it will do the job. If I were doing it again, I'd buy the Oly SP810UZ.

OLYMPUS 262855 12.3 Megapixel E-PL1 Pen Camera (Black camera body)
OLYMPUS 262855 12.3 Megapixel E-PL1 Pen Camera (Black camera body)
Offered by Amazing Closeout
Price: $299.99
15 used & new from $80.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Deal on a Micro 4/3 Body !, September 23, 2012
I ordered my Pen E-PL1 from Cameta as a Refurb/Factory Demo. It arrived in a Olympus refurb box, with all the accessories as new. The body is perfect, not a mark on it. I also ordered the 14-42mm auto focus Micro 4/3 lens to go with it. I am not quite as happy with the lens. It takes great photos outdoors in bright sunlight, but indoors, or in low light, it is hit or miss at best. However, it is very fast to focus (be sure to upgrade the firmware to 1.1). The lens is still worth having around for vacation/family type photos, and for video.

What really makes this camera great is the ability to use inexpensive legacy, manual focus lenses, with a very inexpensive aftermarket adapter. I use Olympus Zuiko OM lenses with an adapter, and my 50MM F1.8 is on the camera most of the time. The results with this lens are impressive, although obviously using manual focus is not ideal in situations when there is limited time to take a shot.

My only gripe with this camera is the poor placement of the video button. I hit it often with my right thumb, but I now know from reading the comments here I can program it to off. I will probably have to do that.

Great enthusiast/hobby camera body at a fantastic price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 10:29 AM PDT

Thermos Stainless-Steel 22-Ounce Hydration Bottle
Thermos Stainless-Steel 22-Ounce Hydration Bottle

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll wonder how you lived without it, August 19, 2012
This thing is a bit pricey, but it's the kind of thing that once you have it, you'll wonder how you lived without it. Hot, or cold, it just works. I carry it to work on my motorcycle with hot coffee in the morning, and use it to keep water cold while on the golf course. It's rugged, and the clip is a great feature. The spring loaded top with a locking ring is also a great feature. I've read the other reviews and plan to order an extra o-ring or two. The only thing they could do to improve this item is to include a couple of spare o-rings with it, I can see why it is easily lost while cleaning it.

TMS® Black Dual Sport Dirt Bike ATV MX Motocross Enduro Aluminum Inside Hand Brush Guards for Yamaha YZ XT TT 350 500 600 TTR 225 Suzuki DRZ 400 DRZ400 KDX KLR KDX220R
Offered by Buy4Easy
Price: $36.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Easy Install, August 19, 2012
I was hesitant to order these, because they are so cheap compared to the name brand hand guards that cost 3X more. They look very similar to the expensive name brand ones, and are of very good quality.

The install would have taken approximately 20 minutes, but my set was missing one of the cone shaped nuts that go with the anchor assembly that mounts inside the handle bar end. A trip to home depot, another $2.50, and I was back in business (A 6mm nut, and a brass compression sleeve from the plumbing section worked rather well).

I did rotate my levers down some for clearance, but if I don't like them that way, I could cut the balls off the end of the levers and rotate them back up.

Because they look so good on the bike, and because of the excellent quality (not so good quality control), I still give them 5 stars.

I have them installed on a 2005 KLR 650. I've added some pics to the product page.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2013 8:04 AM PDT

Sony BCG34HRE4KN Cycle Energy Quick with Refresh Charger and 4 Pre-Charged 2000 mAh AA Batteries (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by FrozenLemon
Price: $27.99
5 used & new from $27.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not be happier, April 16, 2012
After reading a few of NLee's reviews, I bought this, and could not be happier. Thanks! I have used 2 of the pre-charged batteries in my Canon SX150is for over 3 weeks now, have taken approx, 100 photos, many using the flash, and they are still going strong. I haven't needed to use the charger yet. I have several traditional NIMH batteries, and a couple cheap chargers,even though they are a much higher capacity, they are worthless compared to these low self discharge batteries. I'm glad I read the reviews, I probably would have bought the eneloop charger and batteries,but for a few bucks more I have a better charger.

Page: 1 | 2