Profile for P. Colin McGraw > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 381

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Colin McGraw "AV, Computer & EnviroTech Nut" RSS Feed (Castle Rock, CO)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Little Kids Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shell Water Blaster
Little Kids Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shell Water Blaster
Price: $11.85
20 used & new from $10.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value! Affordable and Decent Quality, September 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was skeptical how well an $11 toy would work (since it feels like every halfway decent toy costs a fortune these days) and was pleasantly surprised by this.

We gave it to my five-year-old daughter who loves ninja turtles and she was able to make the gun squirt 10-15 ft. on her own.

The "shell" tank provides for a much better ammo supply than smaller handheld squirt guns, but it's big enough to be awkward to fill under a bathroom sink (better if filling via kitchen sink or outdoor faucet).

The other drawback is that the cap on the shell isn't quite watertight, so it can leak a little when set on its side or upside down, but it works great under normal use!

West Bend 82418R Air Crazy Hot Air Popcorn Popper
West Bend 82418R Air Crazy Hot Air Popcorn Popper
Offered by ThisAndThatTGC
Price: $33.29
5 used & new from $17.99

2.0 out of 5 stars No Oil Needed/Healthier. Lid Melted On First Use., September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The good part is that the popcorn actually pops pretty well with this thing. It does get very hot, despite not needing popping oil to pop corn (it just blows hot air).

Unfortunately, the air it blows is SO hot that it melted the clear plastic lid when my wife left the unit on a couple minutes to try to melt butter in the convenient measuring cup/butter dish.

Also, the cord isn't "retractable" as much as there's a hole in the base of the unit for you to try to cram the cord into.

This popper should work fine if you turn it off the second you're done popping corn, but the lid melting incident prevents me from recommending it.

Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibians Amphibious RC Snake
Kid Galaxy Mega Morphibians Amphibious RC Snake

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, But a Tad Hard To Control, September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the first RC car I bought for my kids and the first one I've played with since I was little, and it's a total blast!

The RC car is light (a necessity for buoyancy), so it won't cause too much damage whatever it runs into (including little legs), but it's durable enough that it shouldn't break when it crashes, and crash it will, because it's a little difficult to control.

It basically follows "tank" controls, for those familiar. There are two levers on the remote control that can be pushed forward or pulled back. When you push both forward, the car moves forward. When you push both back, it goes in reverse. When one is forward, one is back, the car quickly spins in circles, and when one is pressed forward or back, the car moves in that direction, while making a turn.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but you start to get the hang of it.

It's also neat that it can paddle through water! We just used it in the bathtub, and it really worked! Unfortunately, some of the plastic pieces scoop up and hold a little bit of water, which can then slowly leak on floors if you go straight from tub to ground, but it's a small price to pay for that feature.

Good fun! This is a purchase worth considering.

Pac-Man Bandai Pac & Pals 5 Inch Mini Plush Figure Pacster
Pac-Man Bandai Pac & Pals 5 Inch Mini Plush Figure Pacster
Offered by Axis Services
Price: $6.99
29 used & new from $2.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, But Awesome, September 22, 2014
The description says it clearly, but I overlooked it at first: this stuffed Pac-Man is only a few inches tall (about baseball sized).

My Pac-Man loving daughter loved it!

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Spigen® [KICK-STAND] iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) Case Protective [Tough Armor] [Metal Slate] Dual Layer EXTREME Protection Cover Heavy Duty Kick-Stand Feature Case for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) (2014) - Metal Slate (SGP10915)
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and Adequate, But Limited Drop Protection For a Fragile Phone, September 22, 2014
I wanted a decently tough case for when I bought my iPhone 6 Plus on launch day, and I decided to try this one out since It was less than $20 compared to $70 for the OtterBox Defender.

Luckily it arrived the same day I got the phone, so I was immediately able to try it out.

The case looks pretty slick. The color I bought was accurately represented in the photos.

It's very thin (to both its benefit and detriment), and it comes in two parts: a hard plastic outer shell covering most of the back and sides, and a semi-hard inner liner which feels more like a somewhat flexible plastic than rubber.

It hugs the iPhone close all around, adding only minimally to the phone's attractive thinness.

It's decently impressive for the inexpensive price, but it's also thin enough that I questioned whether I should have bought the OtterBox instead after seeing a drop test video on YouTube demonstrating how fragile the iPhone 6/6 Plus screens are (one drop on the side or face down on concrete will likely shatter the screen without a good case).

After examining this case and trying it out, I like it and think it would do a great job preventing scratches, save for the screen (there's no built-in screen protector) and the Apple logo which sits exposed on the back of the phone.

However, it is my opinion that it will only do a decent job against drops, which would be fine for the iPhone 5/5s (which had nearly idestructable screens in drop tests), but is very dangerous with the iPhone 6/6 Plus given the more fragile screens.

Also, while the kickstand seems like a nice feature, it's so firmly clipped in that I had to use a pocketknife instead of my fingernail to pry it out for use.

Ultimately, I decided to keep this case because I do think it will help a bit and it's so much less expensive than other extra-tough cases that I had money left over to pay for most of an AppleCare warranty (even after paying separately for a screen protector).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 2:34 PM PDT

iPhone 6 Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for iPhone 6 (4.7-Inch) - Retail Packaging -  Gunmetal (SGP11022)
iPhone 6 Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for iPhone 6 (4.7-Inch) - Retail Packaging - Gunmetal (SGP11022)
Price: $18.99
4 used & new from $16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate and Inexpensive, But Minimal Drop Protection For Fragile Screens, September 20, 2014

iPhone 6 Plus Case, Spigen® [KICK-STAND] iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) Case Protective [Tough Armor] [Gunmetal] Dual Layer EXTREME Protection Cover Heavy Duty Kick-Stand Feature Case for iPhone 6 Plus (5.5) (2014) - Gunmetal (SGP11053)
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive and Adequate, But Limited Drop Protection For a Fragile Phone, September 20, 2014

Monster High Freaky Fusion Recharge Chamber Frankie Stein Doll and Playset
Monster High Freaky Fusion Recharge Chamber Frankie Stein Doll and Playset
Price: $39.99
15 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Way Better Than Barbie!, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This doll and playset look like something out of Nightmare Before Christmas. In fact, the doll looks a lot like Sally from the movie (complete with stitches and exaggerated thinness). I'm a big Tim Burton fan, so I love it!

The coffin is awesome, too, mainly because when the doll is clipped in right and you hold down a button, a bunch of creepy, flickering, colored LED lights come on like something is being electrocuted and the doll's hair stands on end with static electricity!

You can even hold your finger out and have her hair dart to your finger like one of those lightning balls from the 1980s!

Sadly, it's not strong enough to shock people or make a person's hair stand on end (I tried), but it's still without a doubt the coolest doll playset I've seen!

My 5, 6 and 7-year old girls loved it, too!

Spider Bottle - SpiderMix Mini2 Go Shaker Bottle Black/Green - Scale: 16oz (Cup: 25oz)
Offered by Planet Stuff
Price: $11.50
2 used & new from $10.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels Higher Quality Than Smart Shake, But Spring Component Harder To Clean., September 16, 2014
I tried this bottle as an alternative to Smart Shake bottles (of which I have several) and I like this one more in most regards. It's smooth and easy to unscrew, the materials feel like higher quality, etc.

However, the one thing I DON'T like is the spring near the cap, which doesn't a good job of keeping clumps of powder from making it to the mouthpiece, but also makes things a little hard to clean, especially where the spring clips in to the plastic base: bits of mixed drink tends to get trapped there and will attract mold if you don't wash it soon enough.

I never really had that problem with the simple plastic strainer of the Smart Shake, thus I give a slight tip of the hat to them.

KIND Nuts & Spices, Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt, 1.4 Ounce, 12-Count Bars
KIND Nuts & Spices, Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt, 1.4 Ounce, 12-Count Bars
Price: $14.89
61 used & new from $10.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Chocolate and Almonds = Super Food. Chocolate Is Crumbly., September 16, 2014
These have a "super food" feel to them because of the dark chocolate and nuts (meaning I literally feel better after eating one), so they are now the first granola bar I'd buy.

The sea salt adds a nice, subtle kick and it's generally yummy.

The downside is that the chocolate itself is rather crumbly and tends to leave chocolate chunk crumbs that can stain clothes and get ground into carpet.

Great overall. I buy them on a subscription.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20