Profile for Mr. T. D. Atkinson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mr. T. D. Atkinson "Tim" RSS Feed (New York)

Mint.com Personal Finance
Mint.com Personal Finance
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and very valuable, September 21, 2012
This review is from: Mint.com Personal Finance (App)
My life is different now. In the past I either spent miserable hours trying to make sense of my overspending or I ignored it totally and hoped for the best

Mint automatically puts everything together for me and handles all the bank and credit card reconciliations. So I feel totally on charge oft money and know exactly how far over budget I am. Works really well on iPhone too

The Mercury Fountain
The Mercury Fountain
by Eliza Factor
Price: $13.24
83 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful evocative characters, March 17, 2012
This review is from: The Mercury Fountain (Paperback)
I love this book. My reading list is usually put together by scanning the NY Times recommendations for the year, and making sure my reading time is devoted to reading that will amaze and delight me.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm reading this because Eliza is a friend of mine. So I expected what I normally expected from my published friends, something really good. From the first page, this clearly goes well beyond that. Eliza has an extraordinary ability to put you into the hearts and souls of a wide variety of characters in a distant community over 100 years ago. Like it was today, and I was standing there.

It brings to mind Barbara Kingsolver, and someone I recently read for the first time - John Sayles (yes - the film maker).

From it's powerful opening, the novel moves forwards drawing you ever deeper into a world, where you cannot help but care deeply for what happens to the people you meet. The charismatic leader, Owen, as flawed as the patriarch of the Mosquito Coast, but to be honest far more credible as a real person. The moody lonely wife and mother, only really happy as she gallops across the desert. And the conscious sense of right and wrong held by the doctor, Badinoe, constantly wondering how he got there, and why he stays. And of course the bright and precocious daughter Victoria. All of them caught up in a world that Owen presents as safe and certain, but is anything but...

Oh what a treat.

Thhs is a treat in store.

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
141 used & new from $52.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Its what it is - and I love it, January 16, 2012
When I was buying my Kindle Fire I read so many reviews comparing it to the iPad. That's just not the way to look at this.

I bought it because I was doing most of my reading on a kindle app on my iphone. I knew I wanted a bigger screen, but I didn't want one as big as an iPad. I wanted a nice convenient hand held device like a paper back, that I could do all my reading on. I found my existing sony reader limiting, because I could only read the books I downloaded. What about today's paper? Emails? Documents? (Its fantastic for documents - just email them to your account and there they are)

I love it. At first I wanted more control over the way the "shelves" are set up. But after a while I realized that Amazon had really thought this through. The whole flow works really well -for what it is designed to do. Reading, and I guess some video watching if that's what you like to do. I like to read.

Number one top feature. It's easy to hold, and with the slightest tap or stroke, move on to the next page. Email is great on it. The keypad for typing is extremely useable. I love the way magazines are presented. I usually browse through looking at the page layouts, and then switch to text view, which also shows the images very well.

I find the web browsing great too. I find my computer rather heavyweight and cumbersome compared to the kindle fire. And when I look at my friend's iPads, I just can't imagine propping them up on my chest in bed, while my wife is curled up to me, gently tapping with the point of my finger to page through while she sleeps.

I love my wife rather more than my fire, but my kindle fire has become a feature of my life I adore.

There's a few little features amazon could improve, and they provide fire users an easy way to send in suggestions. I look forwards to the next firmware update, but if this is the first version, it's bound to get even better.

Pilot [HD]
Pilot [HD]
DVD
Price: $2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Spare yourself, December 8, 2011
Someone told me this was supposed to be the female version of MadMen. No way. It's utterly inferior in every way. For a pilot to be so utterly uninspiring is preposterous, given that pilots are usually the thing which gets you hooked. it was unconvincing, not particularly interesting, and surprisingly not even that good to look at.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2013 7:05 AM PST

AmazonBasics Leather Case for AT&T and Verizon iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S (Black)
AmazonBasics Leather Case for AT&T and Verizon iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than plastic, December 8, 2011
I see iphone cases everywhere. Mostly plastic, rubber or some wierd silicone stuff, which is a pity because the iphone is such a beautiful object, it seems sad to encase it in these nasty synthetics. I love the more personal feel of the leather, and it looks good too. My wife thinks its the nicest case she has seen. And the price is amazing.

The leather quality is OK given the price, but it's not the most luxurious feel. Also the lip around the phone front is a little higher than perfection, but doesn't interfere with my use.

Shout, Sister, Shout: A Tribute to Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Shout, Sister, Shout: A Tribute to Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Price: $13.99
27 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't do, March 23, 2011
There is no reason on earth for not owning this CD. If you don't have it, buy it now.

The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
by Brendon Burchard
69 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..but can it be done, March 23, 2011
After reading this book I had a huge fight with my wife. I had become convinced that I could start a business as an expert in a field I have a private interest in. She thought I had lost track with reality. But all I had done was to believe Brendon.

Then I got an email from Brendon telling me how he had got his book to be #1 on Amazon, and I thought "Wow - so tens of thousands of people will be thinking exactly like me." Once you read this book, you will believe you can do it. But how many people really can?

This book is going to work for a few people. It will transform their lives. It was amazing the way he maps out in clear terms how you can become an expert and get paid big bucks for it. Where's the catch?

My biggest disquiet is to know that he has got the book to #1 through some smart marketing approaches. Somehow I got mine sent to me free by responding to an email, so maybe I should be returning the favor and recommending it.

On balance I think I will recommend it. I've never read anything like it, in terms of inspiration, excitement, vision, and clarity of how to do it. It took me into a new reality for a while. Who knows what might have happened if I had not listened to my wife and carried on with my Buchard inspired dreams.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2011 10:07 AM PDT

The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World
The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World
by Eric Weiner
22 used & new from $1.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Relationships are key to happiness, January 22, 2010
I loved this book, and my wife too. We enjoyed each visit to countries, some of which we knew well, and saw just how acutely observed they were.

The message that stood out for me was when the Bhutanese politician announced the "Happiness is Relational", a theme that Weiners picks up himself. It interested me as someone who works in the field of relationships, and inspired me to write a blog article. [...]