Profile for Lance Wiggs > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lance Wiggs RSS Feed (NZ)

Page: 1 | 2
The Soaring Kiwi and the Sauerkraut
The Soaring Kiwi and the Sauerkraut
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough times, May 7, 2015
Great stuff Phil - some brutal descriptions of working life in there. But it seems to stop a few years ago - where are the missing chapters? :-)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2015 11:25 PM PDT

Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform How You Live and Lead
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 25, 2015
Not just for HR people, indeed this is a book for managers and leaders of all organisations. I'd really like to see the actual analytical instruments and reports - perhaps a SaaS product?

Faster, Higher, Stronger: How Sports Science Is Creating a New Generation of Superathletes--and What We Can Learn from Them
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning and entertainment, January 30, 2015
Great primer on the space - prepare to learn and be entertained. Given the amount of money in sports now we should not be surprised at the level of professionalism and science. The best case study - the UK Olympic cycling team - who came out of nowhere to dominate.

The Big Roads: The Untold Story of the Engineers, Visionaries, and Trailblazers Who Created the American Superhighw
Offered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A great tale, January 30, 2015
A fascinating and enjoyable read, and I don't even live in the USA. While the movement is now to get cars out of dense cities, we should never forget just how revolutionary it was to have proper roads.

Trackers: How technology is helping us
monitor and improve our health
Trackers: How technology is helping us monitor and improve our health
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Get ready for the future, January 30, 2015
Tracking ourselves is an incredibly fast-moving space, and MacManus does an excellent job of helping us understand what's happening now, while setting the stage for the future. It's and easy read - tracking (sorry) the author's own journey while giving some great portraits of industry players. Recommended.

Sony NEX-7 24.3 MP Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Old Model)
Sony NEX-7 24.3 MP Mirrorless Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens (Old Model)
Offered by High End
Price: $669.00
38 used & new from $475.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight to use, February 3, 2012
I managed to get my hands on one of these in Jan 2012, and believe me it was difficult.

The body weighs very little without the battery or lens, which is as it should be. Put the weight into a great set of lenses. Place one of those great lenses on this camera, and I've tried the 18-55, 55-210 and zeiss 24, and the results are wonderful. Yes you can argue that at not so low iso ratings the 24 MP is noisy, but dial down the noise in post image processing (I shoot in raw format) and the results are superb.

I find the viewfinder to be remarkably good, better than optical viewfinders as I really see what I will get, and every time I look through it I am stunned at the fidelity. After a great shot the result can look almost 3d, if you have preview one. No dancing dots have crossed my eye's path.

I upgraded from the 5n, which lacked the viewfinder in particular. The difference in ergonomics and quality is worthwhile. Also worthwhile is the expensive Zeiss 24 lens, and the 55-210. Both deliver excellent results.

This range will keep building over time, so any lenses you buy will still be valuable for years. However lenses are also difficult to find these days, as are older Leica lenses which many have had success with.

The best camera I've ever owned, and a delight to pick up, to carry on long treks and to use.

AudioQuest K2 Terminated Speaker Cable - UST 2.44 m Plugs 8' Pair (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes! But wait. It cannot be, November 27, 2010
This is it. The cable I need to complete my music system. I've spent 15 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars, and yet there remained that eight foot gap, that weakest link.

But wait. No. It cannot be.

To my abject horror Amazon refuses to ship this to me in New Zealand.

Why torment us so with the elegant beauty and value of your products, but then at the last refuse to ship to our country? Grant us this one boon, and unleash your electronic devices upon us here, so that we may also partake in the countless bargains of mystical appeal.

Also - do these come in pink?

Peter Jackson: A Film-Maker's Journey
Peter Jackson: A Film-Maker's Journey
by Brian Sibley
21 used & new from $11.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Weighty and worthy, November 13, 2006
The book is on the shelves in New Zealand right now. It's a remarkable journey he has made, from struggling apprentice printer to mogul.

The book, like his movies, is long, and rewarding for it. The emphasis is more on pre-LOTR work and life, and it really focuses on the movies - no business or personal exposes here.

Three things struck me:

The first is his overwhelming passion for movies - passion that led him to just do it, rather than learn first by going to university. The results speak volumes, and he is in good company with this approach.

The second is that he is a leader with an ability to gather large amounts of people around him - from the first movie made with a bunch of mates on weekends, to LOTR with over 24,000 kiwis involved.

And the third is that he is an astute businessman - the book only hints at this, but it is clear from the continuous improvement in his Film Commission submissions, and the improvement in the deals struck with New line and Universal.

Read it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars the ebay of NZ, April 14, 2004
trademe owns NZ's auctions market, and have a very simple user interface that ebay could learn from. A great site.

Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
by Al Franken
906 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and sad, August 28, 2003
Franken, a funny guy, teamed up with a bunch of Harvard undergrad and Kennedy School students to fact-check the right wing media and government. The results are both saddening and funny.
highlights are:
-the commentry on the Paul Wellstone funeral - a subject treated seriously, with an excellent eulogy excerpt by the brother of Wellford's driver,
-"Operation Ignore" which tracks the efforts the Clinton administration made against terrorism and how the entire process stalled once Bush et al. arrived. Absolutely damning evidence - there was a good chance Sept 11 & OBL could have been stopped. Condi Rice was told in her handover briefing that terrorism would "consume far more of her time than she ever imagined". She, to her credit, and Richard Clarke tried to push the planned anti Osama plan further but it got stalled by Bush, Rumsfeld et al.
-A visit to Bob Jones U by Franken and his prospective student "nephew" - BJU comes out of it surprisingly well. "we'd come to BJU expecting to encounter racist, intolerant homophobes. Instead we found people who were welcoming, friendly and extremely nice"
most of all Franken accusses IN PRINT the president, vice president, Ann Coulter and many others of being liers - multiple times. Essentially he is challenging them to respond via a lawsuit - a lawsuit he would win as the evidence he has gathered seems very solid. and scary.
The book is let down by one or two digressions into "rabid anti conservative fiction" which will make it unapproachable for those on the right looking to see what Al is on about. A pity - he is saying things that people from both spectrums should be listening to.
Read it.