Profile for Catherine B. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Catherine B. "film addict" RSS Feed (west central IL, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Bosch [HD]
Bosch [HD]
DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't binge watch it...but REALLY wanted to!, March 23, 2015
This review is from: Bosch [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
This is a really good one! I'm always interested in the genre and seeing some of the actors involved, checking it out was a no-brainer. Titus Welliver in particular -he's been in the category Viola Davis was for me; even before you remembered the name, you see the actor and think, "ooh, all right, this actor always makes watching worthwhile"...he's always interesting, always way more than just good. Really pleased to see he's gotten a part worth his efforts. Just about all the characters are interesting and there are a lot of potential ways this can go forward. I didn't binge watch it...but I really wanted to! Happy to hear it's getting a season 2, 'cause I'm ready now.

White House Roasted Coffee, Ethiopia Mocha Harrar, 12 Ounce
White House Roasted Coffee, Ethiopia Mocha Harrar, 12 Ounce

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was still available on subscription, March 13, 2015
gorgeous tasting rich but mellow coffee. You offer guests a cup and the reaction is, wow! What kind of coffee is this 'cos it's really good! Just wish it were still available on a regular basis.

Birdman
Birdman
Price: $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Way Underwhelmed!, February 20, 2015
This review is from: Birdman (Amazon Instant Video)
Was really prepared to be dazzled -major disappointment. I didn't absolutely hate it, but I was bored to the point that I kept checking how much time was left -never a good thing. How the heck is this nominated for so many things? Maybe so many are spending so much time watching the generally boring "real lives" people post on internet sites they don't know what a good film really can be. This one has moments, but only moments and far too few, which doesn't make it great or even good enough. It feels pretentious most of the time -like someone's trying to come off as a sort of new wave cinema genius or something, but they seem to be trying way too hard. This is a small film about a small subject -it needs something to make you care -this looks grubby and grim outside the flying sequences and all of the supporting characters are stuck in the range between repulsive and plain dull while Keaton's is just a pathetic schmuck -sadly, I would have felt more sympathy for him if the ending had been a little more final. He portrays a pathetic schmuck well, but you won't catch me being happy I was spending a couple of hours watching one. I haven't been as happy to see a film end since I got suckered into watching the Blair Witch -best picture? Whew, I really hope not, but there may be enough acting in-jokes to get the acting branch to vote for it. Sad. The industry can do so much better.

Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros
Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros
by Matthew Reinhart
Price: $40.90
70 used & new from $29.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't See How They Could Have Done Better, May 6, 2014
This is a gorgeous thing. I'm a long time collector of pop-up books and a big GoT addict too; it's hard to imagine how they could have done this better. We all love the moving map of the Thrones world at the start of each show and this is as close as you could possibly get with a mass produced book. Definitely NOT for little kids because of the complexity of the design, but you'll find yourself giggling like a kid as you open the "pages". An EXCELLENT gift for the Game of Thrones fan! Two cautions though - when you open the large fold-out, be warned, you need a table size space, and don't even think about trying it if you're as impaired as Tyrion after a night out with Bronn; channel your inner Littlefinger -being deliberate and calculating works best.

The Shield Season 5
The Shield Season 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Will Get It in the End?, December 1, 2013
All the way through this season, you will want some character to get what's coming to them -I won't tell you who, and there's easily more than one choice anyway. That said, at least one person pays the price, just don't count on it being the one you're hoping for. Addicted to this series! If anybody tells me what happens at the end, they'd better be able to outrun me,

The Shield, Season 2
The Shield, Season 2

5.0 out of 5 stars an addiction you'll enjoy, September 17, 2013
One of my favorites on Prime so far -this show really builds and sucks you in -in the best sense. By the end of season 2, you know everyone at "The Barn" well enough to start wondering how things are going to go for them. Who's going to end up killed in the line of duty? Who's going to be exposed for the shallow, self-centered gits they are? Whose relationship(s) are going to implode and how fast? Who's going to come out on top? And the really great thing is, you're pretty sure you're going to be totally wrong on at least some of your guesses- or maybe even most, which really doesn't happen too often in TV. This show is an addiction you'll like having.

Blue Murder, Series 2
Blue Murder, Series 2
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars She grows on you, August 16, 2013
She really does grow on you, this woman -the character and the actor. I don't think I've ever seen Caroline Quentin in anything before, but I'll be looking for her in other parts. The stories are handled gently, even when they deal with particularly ugly crimes -this isn't a genteel chick-flick series, but blood spatter isn't a major character either; murder is ugly, but this series goes after it in an intelligent way so those who like "old-fashioned" shows but are looking for something new might want to try this one. The characters become familiar in an endearing way and the homey chaos of Inspector Lewis home life makes a nice contrast to her pressure filled day job. The acting is good in all cases, the writing is crisp, the characters realistic and well drawn. Give this series a look -it's getting better as it goes along.

The Shield, Season 1
The Shield, Season 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Start at the beginning, July 30, 2013
I tried getting into The Shield around season 4 or 5 before we dumped the satellite dish & just couldn't do it -there seemed to be too much I didn't know about what came before. Starting with season 1 -a much different story! This might not be the best show for people who can't separate reality from fiction and get upset at the depiction of violence, but the main characters are very interesting -there are at least two that (by the end of season 1) I can't figure out - good but flawed or flat out psycho? Well meaning or terminally self-interested? Maybe they're one thing but will morph into the other? I don't like characters to be too easy to figure, and this series delivers on that score. Give it a try - and start at the beginning.

Rosemary & Thyme, Series 1
Rosemary & Thyme, Series 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Garden Tour of Britain, July 11, 2013
One of the most beautiful British series ever produced for certain. I caught a couple of these when they were first run and was sorry to have missed the rest so was really pleased to find them available to stream on Amazon. Began watching the first series & loved it so much I ordered the complete set on DVD. I've been lucky to spend some time in the U.K. and it's a joy to see the gorgeous scenery and gardens as well as the lovely English country houses and pubs and their interiors -a feast for the eye in every episode. The ladies are really fun too - a bit of British wit and grit as well as a visit with a couple of "girlfriends" -a wonderful combination. Possibly not for the men in our lives unless they're avid gardeners or anglophiles, but I know I'm looking forward to binge viewing again around the end of January in a tough Midwestern winter.

The Girl in the Castle Inside the Museum
The Girl in the Castle Inside the Museum
by Kate Bernheimer
Price: $14.82
62 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars a dream translated into a book, July 25, 2009
When I was little, I wished I could shrink until I was tiny enough to live inside Colleen Moore's beautiful castle dollhouse inside the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago. When I heard about this book, I had to investigate! We just ordered 3 more copies so we have one to give to each of the little girls in the family for Christmas -we plan on pasting in their pictures so they'll be surprised when they turn the last pages. A truly lovely book, very much the sort a child will like to look at off by themselves. The illustrations have not only beauty but a certain sly wit. I'd say it's not for those who might be lacking in imagination -probably too subtle. The wonder is all in the concept -you're either willing to allow for the possibility of magic or you're not -thankfully, most children are.

Page: 1 | 2