Profile for T. Sides > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

T. Sides "Coach" RSS Feed (Colorado)

Page: 1 | 2
Weathered
Weathered
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $6.44
388 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm . . ., April 30, 2002
This review is from: Weathered (Audio CD)
When I first heard about Creed's new album, I was very excited to hear it. It had been a long wait since "Human Clay," and I was anxious to hear what they had to offer and their third time around. I was hoping their sound would venture back to their honest, edgy, angry roots of "My Own Prison," which is one of the greatest rock albums of the last thirty years and the second best of the 90's (sorry, but Nirvana's "Nevermind" still edges it out). But I'm not fan of repetitve sounding albums, so I was hoping to hear some creative experimentation. What I found pleased as well as disappointed me.
"Bullets" started off the cd quite well - very hard and edgy and somewhat like their original masterpieces off "MOP." But from there, the trio dissolved back into the imagery that characterized "HC," and also into a much softer side that led me to the painful realization, "Oh no, they're selling out."
Though "Freedom Fighter" and "Who's Got My Back" are somewhat loud, hard tunes, those and the other "harder" songs on the album just seemed to be lacking that edge that was captured magnificently in "MOP." Even the lyrics didn't seem to grab me like the ones on "MOP" did. Whatever happened to painfully honest (even angry) songs talking about moral and political issues of the day and struggling with doubts, fears, loneliness, and God in one's life ("Torn," "One," "Illusion," "My Own Prison," and "What's This Life For")? Thought "Lullaby" was sweet and melodic, it could have been better . . . it was a disappointing finale to "Weathered."
"Signs," "Stand Here With Me," and "Weathered" didn't hold my attention past the first few listens. "Don't Stop Dancing" was all right, but a little too weak for a person who expects a band to keep up their hard rock persona they expressed in "MOP."
The one truly bright spot I found on the cd was "One Last Breath." It was sorta like another "Arms Wide Open" - but with better lyrics, lyrics that resembled those of "MOP." It started out low, then it started to grow, and by the end of the second verse it just erupts into the best song since "Arms Wide Open" off "Human Clay." It's a soaring power-ballad that touches you . . . if only the rest of the album could have been as powerful, as honest.
Beleive me when I say that Creed is (or was) the best rock band in these times of rock's unglorious days. Modern "pop" has become such a distasteful staple on the radio these days, real music enthusiasts look to bands like Creed (especially Creed) to save us. But the last few tracks off "Weathered" have me worried. Creed can only "save" rock if they return to the truly original and honest music they produced on "MOP." "Weathered" was a good effort, but it fell short of my expectations.

Mission Impossible 2
Mission Impossible 2
DVD ~ TOM CRUISE
Offered by Old River Treasures
Price: $4.84
89 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars They should have left the first one alone, September 24, 2000
This review is from: Mission Impossible 2 (VHS Tape)
The previews were misleading. They played Biskit and Metallica while running the action sequences, and I said to myself, "Ok, maybe it will be a good action/spy movie - but hopefully not a James Bond kind of thing.
I didn't hope enough. First, I'll start with the "action" scenes. I saw 99% of them on the TV previews. And they were all lame. I don't know what Woo was thinking. They were flat-out lame - worse than the Bond movies (which are dumb in my view). The worse action scene was probably the beach fight, which was dragged out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooooo long. And what is with Cruise kicking the gun out of the sand and into his hand, then turning around and shooting the "villain"? Lame. Just lame. I started laughing in the theater - and so did many other people. So much for the "action movie" theme. I kept waiting for the movie to take off - kept waiting for the big actoin stuff that everyone said the movie had. It never came. Also, the masks and voice chips were used at least a half-dozen times, and it just got ridiculous.
Now we'll move onto the plot and acting. What plot? As far as I could tell, there was this virus and Cruise and the what's-his-nose-bad guy play this mind game with the anti-venum. The dialogue is slow and poorly written. The "love" story is quite lame. The movie would have been better if Nyah would have shot herself while inside the laboratory. But sadly, Woo was too dumb to make one of the good-guys die. On the acting part, I thought Cruise actually did a decent job. Everyone else was just lame. But, I have a question: What were all the spies doing with Ausie/British (I really couldn't tell WHICH accent they were) accents? The CIA is American - their men in the field don't have those foreign accents.
All in all, a lame, boring, laugh-able, "action" movie. I was incredibly disapointed in it, because it made a mockery of the first Mission: Impossible (which I absolutely love). Obviously, the complaints of those people who weren't smart enough to follow the first movie carried way too far into Woo's mind and into the directing of this film. They should have left the first one alone. But there was one good aspect of the movie: as the credits ran, they played Metallica's "I Disappear." Great song. Bad movie. Good soundtrack. Buy soundtrack. Don't buy movie.

No Strings Attached
No Strings Attached
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $9.99
572 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars These fags should die, die, die, September 12, 2000
This review is from: No Strings Attached (Audio CD)
Okay . . . . to start it off, I would like to state that this isn't music. It's not. Plain and simple. Synthesizers and other electronic instruments put together with their horridly silky smooth vocals is not music. It's such a shame that fags like these are polluting the radio air waves.
Second of all, this recent flurry of boy bands . . . they're like fireworks. They explode at first then soon die down.
Third, umm . . . let's see . . . what else . . . I know this whole review may sound judgemental and hateful, and you early-teen girls out there who like them for their looks and their dancy beat, but, plain and simple, they stink. Music these days has become so bad. We need to get back to rock - straight up good music. God save us from more bands like this.

Machina / The Machine Of God
Machina / The Machine Of God
Price: $13.99
184 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hit-less wonders, May 24, 2000
Simply put, that's what the Smashing Pumpkins have been throughout their twelve year music career. They never had a number-one song, have never received a whole lot of radio air time, and have been widely criticized by all. But in my opinion, the Pumpkins are one of the greatest rock/alternative bands of the '90s.
And "Machina", now more than likely being their final release while still a group, was not disapointing in the least. It is probably their best work, if not a close second behing "Mellon Collie." But unlike previous releases, we find Billy Corgan on a spiritual trek, and putting faith in love and heaven. Through subtle, and sometimes not so subtle hints, that trek has led him to God. Lyrically it is incredible. Corgan is - and will be - an outstanding songwriter. Musically, near perfection. There is only one weak song on the CD, and that's "Blue Skies Brin Tears." The disk opens with a searing guitar solo by Iha, then Chamberlain joins it to make "Everlasting Gaze" awesome. Other standouts are "Raindrops+Sunshowers", "Stand Inside Your Love", "I of the Mourning" - which has an awesome ending - "The Sacred and Profane", "Try, Try, Try", "This Time", "The Imploding Voice", "Glass and the Ghost Children", and "With Every Light", which is the perfect song to play on a sunny, spring day, or if you're stargazing. Only a few so-so songs on the whole CD. It's a shame this band doesn't get more attention or radio playing time. This is a must-buy for a true Pumpkin fan.

Oops!... I Did It Again
Oops!... I Did It Again
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $9.00
485 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars *ack, ack* Someone save us!, May 22, 2000
This review is from: Oops!... I Did It Again (Audio CD)
What has music come to these days? It seems that all the radios ever play anymore is pop "kings" and "queens" such as the Backstreet Boys, N*SUNK (as I like to call them), and Britney Spears. And today - for some random reason - I decide to pick on Spears. Problem number uno: she can't sing. Her voice is -uh . . . uh . . . it's not a good one, to put it bluntly. Problem numero dos: this isn't music! Will you people wake up and realize that a bunch of computer-generated sounds and someone's lousy voice isn't music. It simply isn't. Problem numero thres: she needs to work on her lyrics. Seriously. Her fist CD was decently written (at least she wrote some of the songs), but this one is even worse. You want a good artist/music? Try Bush, Audio Adrenaline, Creed, dc Talk, Jars of Clay, Smashing Pumpkins, the M:I-2 soundtrack, Bride, and so on and so on. My last thought with you is this: SOMEONE SAVE US FROM POP/ELECTRONICA MUSIC THAT IS FOR SOME DUMB REASON RULING THE AIR WAVES! LET'S GET SOME REAL MUSIC OUT THERE!

Underdog
Underdog
Offered by Wits End.
Price: $9.95
135 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Thier best since "Bloom", March 16, 2000
This review is from: Underdog (Audio CD)
Ever since "Bloom" was released, I've been waiting for their next best, one that might eclipse "Bloom". "Zombie" fell short, and I couldn't wait to see how their next project turned out. Guess what? It turned out nearly prefect, eclipsing "Bloom" by a small margine. Every song is good/really good. The best one being "It's Over", which would be a hit if played on secular radio stations. (Hey, these guys would be a hit if they were a secular band.) The album hits a trough, however, in "The Jesus Movement", which was much too Sugar Rayish for me. "Underdog", "MGL" (Might Good Leader), "Get Down", "My Love", "Good Life", "Hands and Feet" . . . all good. But the second fault in this album is that it's too short. Only 12 tracks. But very good no matter the length. Oh, yeah, "Houseplant" song rocks. It's funny, tambien. Haha! Muy funny! Sorry, "Jesus Movement" and Spanish class are catching up to me. Great disc, buy it.

Jesus Freak
Jesus Freak
Offered by Wits End.
Price: $9.95
156 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon needs more than a 5 Star rating system for this one., March 16, 2000
This review is from: Jesus Freak (Audio CD)
For some reason, this album has been compared to Nirvana's "Nevermind" since its release three, four years ago. I don't know why - except maybe for the fact that Nirvana's was the best secular rock album ever, and dc Talk's was the best Christian album ever? I'm not sure about Nirvana's album being the greatest ever, but "Jesus Freak" is by far the best Christian rock album ever released, and probably will be. The band strayed from their traditional hip-hop/rap and turned to a rock/alternative beat. Uh, the change was incredibly good. I never get tired of listening to this album; it's greatness never ceases to amaze me. Musically, awesome - though, probably not as good as "Nevermind's", but close. Lyrically, much better than Nirvana. Buy it, you won't regret it. A spectacular album with spectacular songs that should be played on secular radio stations nation-wide.

Oddities
Oddities
Offered by Marks Ear Candy
Price: $10.25
36 used & new from $0.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as their earlier recordings, but still good., March 16, 2000
This review is from: Oddities (Audio CD)
In "Odditties", Bride turned from their traditional metal and went to a more alternative style. But it's good none the less. Dale Thompson's piercing voice and thought-provoking lyrics complement the music, making them a band that Christians and non-Christians would enjoy.

Mission Impossible [VHS]
Mission Impossible [VHS]
VHS
Offered by LABMIN
Price: $3.99
437 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the negative reviews., February 28, 2000
"Oh, there's no plot," they say. Then they obviously didn't watch the movie, and have no clue as to how the real spy world works. Sure, the plot may not involve the destruction of an entire city ("Goldeneye"), but rather, the plot is much more clandestine, which makes for a better spy film anyway. Cruise, unlike the other people say, did a remarkable job acting, and had a good supporting cast. There is very good action and suspense. (Ok, the tunnel scene at the end is questionable on the reality scale, but it made for a good movie.) The music in the film is very fitting and suspenseful. "Mission: Impossible" never gets old. It's complicated, and is a very "real" spy movie, unlike James Bond and the rest. In reality, it compliments the TV series very well. I just hope the sequal is just as good, if not better. Buy it - trust me, you won't regret it.

The Ultimate Spy Book
The Ultimate Spy Book
by H. Keith Melton
126 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to learn about the spy world . . ., February 21, 2000
This review is from: The Ultimate Spy Book (Hardcover)
. . . then you've come to the right place. Melton's book is full of photographs and is very well written. A must for anyone interested in the espionage world. This book is great.

Page: 1 | 2