Profile for Sweet pea > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sweet pea RSS Feed (WI United States)

Capresso 440.05 MT-500 10-Cup Electronic Coffeemaker with Thermal Carafe
Capresso 440.05 MT-500 10-Cup Electronic Coffeemaker with Thermal Carafe

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT TASTING COFFEE, USER FRIENDLY DESIGN, April 13, 2005
I splurged on this coffeemaker March of 2005 for my husband's birthday and we are both very pleased so far. It makes great coffee, no bitterness and tastes very much like the coffee you spend a lot of money on in coffee houses. The carafe is easy to pour, does not spill or pour slow like others claim. The dot is EASY to see on the lid to line up with the pour spout, unless you are doing it in the dark I do not see how it would be difficult.The coffee is comfortably hot in the carafe after brewing and stays drinkably hot for about 2 hours. I know some reviewers claim the coffee is not hot enough but honestly it is plenty hot for us. The brew temp is right on.
The design is great, easy to fill, coffee filters fit perfectly (no need to fold or cut!) and you can bypass the water filter as well if you already have filtered water with the touch of a button.
It does not spill all over our counters like some people claim. I was worried about it after reading reviews but we have brewed full pots without any problem whatsoever.
I did a lot of research on coffee makers and believe this is the best coffee maker out there if you want great tasting coffee. I cannot figure out why some people had so many problems, perhaps it is the competitions marketing team on here trying to bash Capresso because they are unable to design a coffee maker that actually makes great coffee.
So if your on the fence, treat yourself! I do not think you will be disappointed.

Zojirushi EC-BD15 Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker
Zojirushi EC-BD15 Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker
Price: $78.99
39 used & new from $48.52

2.0 out of 5 stars GREAT CARAFE BUT COFFEE MAKER NOT RECOMMENDED, March 21, 2005
I purchased this item in search of a thermal coffee maker that not only keeps the coffee hot, but actually brews coffee at the correct temperature to produce flavorful coffee that is not bitter. The Zo is unable to do so, because the brew temp is barely 180 degrees. A coffee maker must brew above 194 to really hit the sweet spot and produce great coffee. Also as soon as it arrived I ran water through it to test brew temp. Unfortunately it stopped brewing and shut off at the 2 cup mark leaving water left in the water tank. Not a good sign. The body of the unit is really cheap and flimsy and smells of very strong plastic. I am going to try my luck with another brand. On the plus side the water stayed hot in the carafe for hours. So basically your buying a cheap coffee maker with a good carafe. It is a shame they could not produce a machine as perfect as their carafe. So if you could care less about what the coffee tastes like and just want it hot this is the maker for you.

Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater
Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater
Offered by MANDY BLACK
Price: $12.99
77 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny..., March 9, 2005
I finally found the perfect zester for lemons and also great for coconut! It is easy to use and to get the zest (lemon,lime,orange) into your bowl just gently tap and all the flakes will fall right in. Mine came with a plastic sleeve which is safer and more durable than the cardboard but I purchased it at the hardware store by my home. Just pay attention when you grating anything so you do not cut yourself. I grated my knuckle on a box grater once and it was pretty bad.

DeLonghi  DCM485 10-Cup Thermal Carafe and Coffeemaker, Brushed Stainless Steel
DeLonghi DCM485 10-Cup Thermal Carafe and Coffeemaker, Brushed Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars company does not make replacement parts/filters hard to find, March 9, 2005
Hi!

When shopping for a coffee maker I think it is really important that if it comes with the water filters you should be able to find replacement filters fairly easy but unfortunately you can only order the replacement filters for this unit from the manufacturer which is not cheap when you figure in shipping.

anyone looking for a good machine should do a lot of research before purchasing...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2008 9:02 AM PDT

Sweet and Natural: More Than 120 Sugar-Free and Dairy-Free Desserts
Sweet and Natural: More Than 120 Sugar-Free and Dairy-Free Desserts
by Meredith McCarty
37 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes for the health minded baker!, March 3, 2005
I love this cookbook. It has great information on all types of sweeteners and goes through many different types of oils and flours too. The main ingredients she uses in this book for sweeteners are brown rice syrup, barley malt syrup and some have maple syrup. It is pretty easy to find the ingredients and the directions are easy to follow although I am a fairly experienced baker so I do "add lib" when I cook and find that the end result has been great. I made the lemon cake with the sauce but minus the lemon tofu cream because I have a slight allergy to soy. Tofu is definately a required taste and she uses very little in this book and it can easily be omitted.

She does use carob in some recipes so if you do not like carob you can just use cocoa powder or non dairy tropical source chocolate chips. There are quite a few color photos too.

I look forward to making more recipes from this book and the book is worth buying just for the eye opening info she provides on chemicals and how some of our ingredients are processed. It really motivates you to try to find a more natural alternative.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS GREAT,PERFECT SIZE AND VERY QUIET!, March 3, 2005
I did my research on food dehydrators and the L'Equip was recommended above all. I like the rectangular shape that makes it easy to sit on your counter top without looking bulky and taking up much needed space. It is about the size of a small microwave. It is nice and quiet, comes with the fruit trays and the mesh sheets for the six trays so you do not have to buy a lot of "extras" like you do with the American Harvest brand. I considered buying their model but after you add on all of the mesh sheets and fruit leather trays plus 2 extra stacking trays to equal what this unit offers it is really not any less expensive. I did not like the way it was round and would take up a lot more space. The L' Equip motor and fan is on the bottom but it is covered so nothing will fall into it. I have dried apples,pineapple,coconut and bananas on it so far and it takes anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. They turned out great. I plan on using this often to make healthy sulfite free snacks and ingredients for my baking. It also has a 12 year warranty which is really important. I highly recommend this dehydrator for anyone who wants a quality built product at an affordable price.

***Also for those arguing about the dimensions, if you are not happy with the square feet of drying area provided DON'T BUY IT!
very simple. I have had this for 8 months now and there is plenty of space for drying many fruits and vegetables.
It really is not worth arguing over.
I am very suspicios of people who are coming on Amazon and only reviewing this one product-it could be a competitor trying to bash the product so people are afraid to buy it....I have seen this with several items I have purchased, many false claims and then you click on their name and it is the ONLY thing reviewed so I really do not use their review to influence my decision. Look for reviews that contain many purchased items, that seem legitimate.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 10:17 PM PDT

Matfer Bourgeat 321005 Exopat 11-5/8-by-16-3/8-Inch Nonstick Baking Mat
Matfer Bourgeat 321005 Exopat 11-5/8-by-16-3/8-Inch Nonstick Baking Mat
Price: $20.24
5 used & new from $17.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Mine is already pooping out-only used it about 8 times, February 24, 2005
Maybe I have a faulty one, but I used it to bake cookies and make a few french fries and it is starting to peel at the edges. I do not believe it will last for 3000 uses.

Pretty alarming since I read from another reviewer there is fiberglass in it. If it gets worse I will throw it in the trash and unfortunately add to a landfill. Also it picks up the scent of the food (gingerbread,french fries,chocolate)and you smell that even after you wipe it down.I am sorry to say I would not recommend this product and plan on using parchment.

The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook (Non)
The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook (Non)
by Robin Robertson
Price: $16.10
91 used & new from $0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cookbook for Vegans AND Vegetarians, August 28, 2003
I really like this cookbook and use it just about every week.
There is a great variety in here and every recipe can be adapted for Vegans like myself. There are great entrees,dips,desserts,appetizers, you name it.
The five spice oatmeal cookies are a favorite in my home as well as the mexican casserole. Most of the recipes require ingredients you can easily find at your grocery store.
I highly recommend this cookbook, I bought it for five dollars new and it was well worth it!

Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes With Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World (Non)
by Robin Robertson
184 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book with large variety of recipes!, August 28, 2003
This book is great for anyone who enjoys variety. There are many dishes to choose from and divided into categories to make it pretty easy for you. I enjoyed the curry dishes in here, the Red Bean and Sweet Potato Curry is fantastic. I did not care if it had pictures because I do not really need them. (But if you like to follow pictures of each dish this is not the book for you) Once you have been cooking for some time you like to ad lib on recipes to add your own extra flair and you can do that with these recipes. I did not think they were bland at all. You need to have great spices and fresh ingredients for any recipe to turn out in any cookbook. Most items (except for some of the oriental dishes)can be found at your local supermarket.
The majority of recipes are really easy, and there are a few more time consuming for weekend meals. I definately recommend this book to anyone who enjoys vegan cuisine, with simple ingredients and great flavor.