Profile for Erica Anderson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1319

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Erica Anderson RSS Feed (Minneapolis, MN)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Three-Disc Diamond Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo + BD Live w/ Blu-ray packaging)
DVD ~ Adriana Caselotti
Offered by marniemarie
Price: $89.75
27 used & new from $42.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful film for everyone in the family, October 4, 2009
Disney once again reaches into its vaults and dust off one of its classic films to give it a proper remastering treatment. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is Disney's latest film to have received a remastering treatment and is being released as a diamond edition. I could not imagine anything less for Disney's first feature length animated film. I have the 3 disc combo pack which includes the dvd of the film (for those who do not have a blu ray player like me), disc 2 is the blu-ray version, and disc three is chock full of bonus footage which will really please the younger viewers.

I admit I have forgotten when the last time I actually had watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I am more the positive that the last time I saw it was when I was still a little girl. The story of Snow White hiding from her wicked stepmother and living among seven dwarfs is timeless. Even at 35, I am still entertained by the story. The animation is beautiful and vibrant, especially the apple. The sound quality is just as good. I definitely recommend buying the diamond edition of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I don't think you are too old to watch this timeless classic.

Pete's Dragon (High-Flying Edition)
Pete's Dragon (High-Flying Edition)
DVD ~ Helen Reddy
Price: $9.32
15 used & new from $8.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Pete's Dragon high-flying edition, August 16, 2009
As a child, I was raised on a steady diet of animated and live action films by Walt Disney. PETE'S DRAGON was one of my favorite live action films from Disney as a child. Nearly 30 years later, the film has re-entered my life in a new version known as the high-flying edition. Sean Marshall plays orphaned Pete who stumbles into a quaint village of Passamaquoddy. The real star of the film is Pete's (invisible) dragon friend named Elliot. During his stay in Passamaquoddy, Pete becomes friends with Nora (Helen Reddy) who runs a lighthouse and her father Lampie who is played by Mickey Rourke. Meanwhile hijinks ensues which leads the townsfolk to believe that Pete was behind the mayhem. Eventually the situation is straightened out.

As a whole, PETE'S DRAGON is a suitable for young children. I think my oldest niece will enjoy this film quite a bit. For me personally, the film has not aged well stylistically and artistically.I must admit I will always have a soft spot for "Candle on the Water" as sappy as that song is. Still I had a lot of fun watching the film since I hadn't seen it in many years.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2009 2:35 PM PDT

Bolt (Two-Disc Deluxe Edition + Digital Copy)
Bolt (Two-Disc Deluxe Edition + Digital Copy)
DVD ~ John Travolta
Offered by HAPPYLITEONLINE
Price: $18.45
15 used & new from $3.73

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay but film is definitely aimed for children than adults, March 15, 2009
BOLT is the story of a canine tv star of the same name (voiced by John Travolta) who has spent all of his life on the hollywood set where the show he works on with his co-star Penny (Miley Cyrus). Because he has spent all of his life on the set, he doesn't realize that his reality is really fiction. When Bolt suddenly finds himself in the "real" world, chaos ensues and Bolt learns the hard way that his reality isn't what it appears to be.

Normally I enjoy Disney's animated films like Wall-E (Widescreen Single-Disc Edition)but that is due to the strong writing, animation, music, and performances that comes with working with Pixar. Without Pixar, Disney's animated films like BOLT is bland. I think it is obvious that BOLT is aimed more towards the younger audiences than an adult audience. Children will definitely enjoy the story of Bolt trying to survive New York City while he is on the search for Penny. For me personally there wasn't anything about this film that made it likeable for me. The film lacked the strong writing and superb animation of WALL-E and even KUNG FU PANDA.

Disc two features some behind the scenes footage, deleted scenes, and the cast in action for the film. At least Disney didn't skimp out on bonus features. On disc one there is some music with John Travolta and Miley Cyrus, annoying to me but kids especially Miley fans will most likely enjoy it.

BOLT isn't terrible by all means but for me personally, I didn't think it was worth an Oscar nomination.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2014 10:41 AM PDT

Pinocchio (Two-Disc 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition)
Pinocchio (Two-Disc 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition)
DVD ~ Mel Blanc
15 used & new from $21.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice trip down memory lane, March 13, 2009
I forgot the last time I have seen Disney's PINOCCHIO. I think the last time I saw the classic animated film was when I was still a child. I recently had the opportunity to view Disney's platinum edition of PINOCCHIO. Because it has been such a long time since I last saw the film, I can't really compare the animation with the original version. That said, the story of the puppet coming to life and wanting to become a real boy is timeless. With the assistance of Jiminy Cricket, his conscience so to speak, Pinocchio learns the hard way right from wrong. I'll be perfectly honest, PINOCCHIO was never one of my favorite Disney films. It never struck a chord with me like BAMBI or SNOW WHITE did but at the same time I don't think it is a bad film. This just isn't my favorite Disney film. I personally thought Disney did a great job at digital restoration. The second disc consists of behind the scenes footage and deleted footage. I thought the alternative ending was quite fascinating. The younger audiences will definitely appreciate the games and activities more than adults. Overall the two disc 70th anniversary of this Disney classic is certainly one to own for families with young children.

Sleeping Beauty (Two-Disc Platinum Edition)
Sleeping Beauty (Two-Disc Platinum Edition)
DVD ~ Mary Costa
Offered by Deal-a-Rama
Price: $35.09
33 used & new from $10.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, October 5, 2008
It has been over two decades since I last saw Disney's animated film SLEEPING BEAUTY. I was just a small child in elementary school when I first saw the film. Once again, Disney digs deep into their vault and re-releases the classic animated film as part of their platinum edition series. The two dvd set includes the remastered version of the film and a slew of bonus features that the family is sure to enjoy.

The story of Aurora, princess to King Stefan, she is a welcomed into the kingdom with a lavished celebration. The infant is greeted by King Hubert and his son Prince Philip, whom Aurora is betrothed to marry later in life. Then Aurora is paid a visit by the three good fairies Fauna, Merryweather, and Flora. Flora and Fauna are able to bless the child with the gift of beauty and song but before Merryweather could bless the child, the evil witch Maleficent drops in unexpectedly. Displeased that her presence was not wanted at the celebration, Maleficent curses the child that she will die at the age of 16 with a single prick to her finger by a spindle. Thankfully Merryweather weakens the curse to simply a deep sleep. Reluctantly, King Steffan allows the three good fairies to take Aurora out of the kingdom until she is the age of 16, to protect Auroa from Maleficent's curse.

As mere mortals, the three fairies raises Aurora as Briar Rose in the forest without raising a suspicion. In the meantime, Maleficent has her army (who are totally incompetent for comedic value) out searching for Aurora for 16 years. When she realizes her army's mistake of looking for a baby for 16 years, Maleficent sends out her pet raven Diablo to search for Aurora. With the assistance of the fairies, Prince Philip goes to rescue the princess who had fallen under the evil witch's spell.

Everything you expect in a Disney animated film is there, song, comedy, drama, and a anti-climatic ending is here in the lavished remastered film. This was the first time I have seen SLEEPING BEAUTY since I was a child. I almost forgotten how good this film is. The colors in this new version is vibrant. The music is beautiful. The music in today's Disney animated films lacks the beauty and elegence of the classic Disney films like the orchestral score for SLEEPING BEAUTY. Once again Disney does a wonderful job at remastering and re-packaging SLEEPING BEAUTY.

101 Dalmatians (Two-Disc Platinum Edition)
101 Dalmatians (Two-Disc Platinum Edition)
DVD ~ Marjorie Bennett
7 used & new from $32.60

4.0 out of 5 stars 101 Dalmatians remastered, March 2, 2008
101 DALMATIANS is the latest Disney classic to receive a platinum treatment. I have to admit that although I have grown up on watching Disney animated films long before I was born, 101 DALMATIANS was never really my personal favorite film. Don't get me wrong I do like the film. The film just never hit an emotional chord with me like BAMBI and CINDERELLA had done with me.

The plot of the film revolves around Pongo and Perdita, two Dalmatians who has an enormous litter of puppies. Their puppies end up being kidnapped by the classic villainess Cruella Del Ville and her hired thugs. Cruella's intentions with the puppies are to use the puppies hide for a coat. The idea that she is going to use the puppies in such a heineous manner might be a bit too much for a young audience under the age of 6 or 7. While I love Cruella Del Ville (who has remained a timeless villainess in the Disney catalog), really young children might be a bit frightened by her over the top wicked personality.

Like with past films, Disney does a fantastic job of remastering the animation. The original animation had a gritty feel that is one of the reasons I never cared much for the film. This new version has a cleaner, softer feel (well, compared to the original).

There are some great bonus features on the disc like the making of the film, the creation of Cruella De Vil, pop up trivia facts, and a few games for the kids.

While I may not consider 101 DALMATIANS to be one of my top 10 favorite Disney films, the movie is still a lot of fun to watch. It is never panders or condescends to young audience moviegoers. There is a nice balance of action, drama, and comedy that everyone in the family can enjoy.

Jacob's Daughter
Jacob's Daughter
by Naomi Williams
22 used & new from $0.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Jacob's Daughter, January 7, 2008
This review is from: Jacob's Daughter (Paperback)
I am really picky about what I read because: a) I often don't have the time and energy to read a book, and b) my tastes in books is either delves into the dark and macabre or non-fiction socio-political books. I recently had the opportunity to read Naomi Williams' first novel JACOB'S DAUGHTER.

The story is based in the south. The protagonist of the story is Deborah Jernigan, daughter of mother who is a little too protective of her children and a father who would be considered to be an overzeaous religious fanatic by today's standards. The story is your atypical coming of age story of this young girl/woman. The book was fairly interesting to read. I could almost hear the southern accent of the characters as I read the book. It is obvious that the author used her own southern roots to create the backdrop to the story.

I am not a huge fan of coming of age stories because they all tend to sound the same. Protagonist grows up and matures, she leaves home to explore the world, conflict occurs putting her in a precarious position of having to choose her own desires and family responsibility, and conflict resolved. Essentially I felt this book was formulaic and over the top in a soap opera manner especially what happens towards the end of the book involving Jacob himself.

JACOB'S DAUGHTER is not a bad book by all means. I loved the colorful language and the vivid details of life in the south but the way the story was constructed was predictable and too soap opera-like for my tastes. I simply don't care for coming of age books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2008 8:26 AM PST

Dear Isabelle
Dear Isabelle
by Jessica Swan
Price: $13.99
31 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not remotely scary or compelling, January 7, 2008
This review is from: Dear Isabelle (Paperback)
DEAR ISABELLE is the debut novel from Jessica Swan, an up and coming author from Bakersfield, CA. DEAR ISABELLE is about a college student named Isabelle (how appropo) who is in a serious relationship with a young British man named James. When the relationship goes south and the couple ends up breaking up in a not so amicable manner, James is the one who does not take the break up so lightly. He ends up cyber stalking Isabelle.

I personally found this book to be anything but a thriller or interesting, probably because I am in my 30s. I think this book is better suited for young college students. To be honest, there is nothing about the author's writing skills that would make her stand apart from her peers. The writing is average. The whole stalking subject has already been done to death in books, namely old Dean Koontz and Stephen King novels. I really wanted to like this book but frankly I found myself bored to death by it.

Nights from the Alhambra - (Jewel 2 CD + DVD)
Nights from the Alhambra - (Jewel 2 CD + DVD)
26 used & new from $9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful live album/concert, November 13, 2007
I had the immense pleasure of catching Loreena McKennitt live in concert this past spring. Loreena is easily one of my favorite artists of all time. NIGHTS FROM THE ALHAMBRA is a great reminder of seeing Loreena performing live. The three disc set includes two cds and a dvd of her PBS performance from this past March. I never buy live albums but Loreena is the one artist who I have made the exception to that rule. Much to my delight, her PBS performance transferred on to disc quite well. I felt like I am in the audience every time I listen to the album. Her concert is a mixture of old and recent material. I am glad that she packaged the live album with her PBS performance. It definitely made the album worth every single penny spent on it. NIGHTS FROM THE ALHAMBRA is a definite must have for Loreena McKennitt fans.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2007 3:12 PM PST

Into the Wild
Into the Wild
Price: $7.29
59 used & new from $3.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack of the year, November 13, 2007
This review is from: Into the Wild (Audio CD)
INTO THE WILD is easily my favorite film of 2007. The story of Christopher McCandless is absolutely heartbreaking. Pearl Jam singer Eddie Vedder provides his musical talents to the Sean Penn film, creating an acoustic sound that captures the essence of the film. I never really was a fan of Pearl Jam and never will be but I absolutely loved Eddie's solo work for the film. Eddie's solo acoustic work is a far cry from the monotonous drones of Pearl Jam. His lyrics really captured the story of Christopher McCandless and his journey across America and eventually into Alaska. Love the book, film, and now the soundtrack.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20