Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Eskypades > Reviews

Browse

Eskypades' Profile

Customer Reviews: 136

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eskypades RSS Feed (Virginia)
(VINE VOICE)

Price: $174.00
7 used & new from $174.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and affordable, July 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We recently acquired a bed-in-a-box queen size and so far have really liked it. That one was a 12” euro style mattress and is quite comfortable. We decided to replace one of our children’s mattresses as it had definitely seen better days. We ended up getting this 8” twin mattress.

There are several mattress-in-a-box companies that send you a mattress in tightly-rolled, vacuum sealed bags. Before we got the queen size mattress, I had my doubts about them. I mean, how comfortable and firm can a mattress be that comes squeezed into a box?! The answer: VERY!

Although not quite as big and bulky (obviously) as the queen size mattress, I would still suggest that you not try to carry the mattress in the box. It’s bulky and incredibly difficult to carry. Instead, take the mattress out of the box (but don’t unwrap it yet!). It’s much easier to handle that way. Once we had it upstairs, we opened the packaging, unrolled it, cut away the plastic wrapping and – as the French hens say, “Voila!” - watched in wonder as the mattress filled out. After letting it sit the requisite 48 hours, we were amazed that the mattress was just as firm as a “regular” mattress. If I had to rate the firmness on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being not at all firm to 10 being rock hard, I would rate it as a 8. It has a very nice firmness to it, yet soft enough so that my body pressure points don’t get a beating.

A few more things to note is that the mattress had no noticeable odor at all. I’ve read how sometimes these kinds of mattresses will have a chemical odor to them, but definitely not this on. The other thing is that this is not a memory foam mattress and that’s a good thing. I don’t really care for memory foam mattresses since they tend to be either way too hard or way too soft or both at the same time in various places. That, and the ones I’ve used leave me feeling soaked in sweat after a night’s sleep. Yuck.

Overall, the mattress is affordable and quite comfortable. While I’ve snoozed couple of times on it, it was mainly for my child’s bed and we haven’t had any complaints yet.

Happy Belly Whole California Almonds, 16 oz, Pack of 2
Happy Belly Whole California Almonds, 16 oz, Pack of 2
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A tasty treat, July 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually don’t care for almonds, leaving them mostly for my wife to eat. However, these Happy Belly almonds are better than other almonds I’ve tried. They have a nice, fresh taste with a good crunch to them. The almonds are not salty at all which makes them a good salad topper to add protein. And because they don’t have salt already, they are great for lightly salting and roasting them in the over. I don’t particularly care for the tiny bits that are left in my mouth, but my wife tells me this is normal for an almond. Overall, these almonds are a tasty treat.

Jabra Halo Smart Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headphones - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $79.99
4 used & new from $58.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Jabra Halo vs. Bose Soundsport, July 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These Jabra wireless headphones are fairly comfortable, but only in cooler settings. I found that because the neck band is rather small, it made me feel hot when walking around, being active or being outdoors. However, while inside such as an office setting, the band didn’t bother me as much. Compared to the Bose Soundsport headphones, these were more comfortable. While the volume level is the same in both wireless headphones (I had to have my computer volume at about 55% as compared to 15% with my wired headphones), the Bose headphones seemed clearer than the Jabra ones. While they both have inline controls, I found the Jabra controls in the next band to be a little more cumbersome since the band was so close to my neck. I prefer the controls in the ear wire.

These had the same issue with answering the phone as the Bose set. If you are using the headphones and your phone rings, you have to use the in-line button to answer the call. I discovered this by accident with the Bose and duplicated the issue with the Jabra set. If you answer using the normal call answer slide (on an iPhone at least), the sound won’t go through the headset. But using the in-line answer button will allow you to head and speak through the headphones.

One other thing I noticed is that when you first attempt to pair the headphones to a device you have to press and hold the power button, not just till it turns on but a couple of seconds past that point (about 5 seconds total). I was getting so frustrated because I turned on the headset, but it wouldn’t connect to any of my devices. Of course, had I read the instructions carefully, I would have seen that it says to hold the power button for 5 seconds, not just till the power comes on. Once I did this, it connected perfectly.

To me, the Jabra and Bose Soundsport headphones are very comparable. The Jabra is more comfortable and sleek looking, but the Bose headphones seem to have slightly better sound both in hearing and in mic quality as well as easier to use controls.

Belkin Screen Protector for iPhone 5/5s - Retail Packaging - Clear
Belkin Screen Protector for iPhone 5/5s - Retail Packaging - Clear
Price: $9.99
2 used & new from $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Need ideas for wasting money?, July 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Do you have $10 burning a hole in your pocket and just need some ideas? How about driving down the road, rolling down your window and throwing the bill out of the window? Maybe tie to a model rocket and launch it into the atmosphere? You could try blending it. Or you could buy this Belkin screen protector. All these ideas don't get you anywhere, but at least you've solved the problem of $10 in your pocket.

When I saw this, I was excited because the screen protector that came with my Otterbox case wasn't that great. This one was as full of promises as a block of Swiss cheese is full of holes. Turns out this screen protector was just a substantive as the aforementioned holes. It seems to fit well from side to side and I like that the screen fits around the camera lens and button. My last screen protector didn't do this, barely covered the screen and the sides gathered dust like the backside of an elephant.

So with all this, I had my hopes that this screen would be a good one. Alas, I've just spent the better part of an hour trying to put the screen on in vain. Mind you, I'm no novice. I've put many screens on phones and tablets. This one is without question the worst one I've ever had to put on. I followed the instructions to a T, but still the screen was left with countless little bubbles, even after my best attempts at smoothing them out. I tried applying from the left, then from the right, then from the top, then from the bottom, then randomly choosing one of those options again. Still nothing.

With sadness, I finally gave up and put my case back on without a screen protector. I might try another screen protector once I work through my trust issues with a counselor, but it won't be with this one. Fool me once and all that.

RECARO Roadster Convertible Carseat, Knight, 5-65 Pounds
RECARO Roadster Convertible Carseat, Knight, 5-65 Pounds
Price: $215.99
8 used & new from $184.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, but NOT a good fit for smaller cars, July 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having had five children, there are three main things that I look for in a car seat. The first is safety and durability. I lump these two together since generally a high-quality seat will most likely have additional safety features that lower quality seats don’t have. This Recaro car seat seems to be made with very good quality material. The extra padding, especially around the head, is very helpful, especially for sleeping babies. The product description details the side-impact structure and various other safety features.

The second and third things are how easy is it to install and adjust the car seat. This seat is very easy on both. I’m not sure if it’s standard on most/all seats nowadays, but the LATCH system on this seat has a great, push button feature. Instead of the D-ring type clip that is quite frankly a pain to put on and take off, this one has a release button that you don’t have to shove your hand down the inside of a seat to find. As for adjusting, the headrest is easily raised and lowered with the turn knobs on the side. The harness is also easily tightened with the pull strap on the front of the seat. This brings me to the one negative about the quality or safety of the seat. The latch to loosen the harness can be almost too easily accessed by a child in the seat. There is an access hole at the front of the seat and, knowing that kids are for some reason prone to sticking things in holes, it is very easy for them to stick an object inside this hole and inadvertently loosen their straps.

The fourth thing I look for in a car seat is whether it is a good fit for the vehicle. And it’s here that the buyer will have to determine whether it’s good for them or not. I will say that this seat is much larger than most. We installed it rear facing in a VW Jetta (smaller car) and this was NOT a good fit. In order to have the seat fit, you have to have the front seat pushed all the way forward. Even then, the car seat doesn’t seem to be quite as level as it should be. Additionally, because the seat back is so high, airflow doesn’t get to the child and results in them being soaked in sweat even with the a/c on full blast.

Overall, the seat is good quality, with good safety features (with one drawback), but definitely NOT for smaller vehicles.

Sleep Master Ultima® Comfort 12 Inch Euro Box Top Spring Mattress, Queen
Sleep Master Ultima® Comfort 12 Inch Euro Box Top Spring Mattress, Queen
Price: $259.00

5.0 out of 5 stars 7/10 on firmness scale, June 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After 15 years, my wife and I decided to retire our queen size pillow top mattress. While it was comfortable, it was starting to sag and bulge in various areas. The difficulty we faced was that a good mattress can costs upwards of a thousand dollars or more. We started to wonder if perhaps we could squeeze out a few more years on our old one. Then we came across this Sleep Master Ultima mattress from Zinus and decided to try it out.

There are several mattress-in-a-box companies that send you a mattress in tightly-rolled, vacuum sealed bags. To be honest, I’ve had my doubts about them. I mean, how comfortable and firm can a mattress be that comes squeezed into a box?! The answer: VERY!

One suggestion if carrying this mattress upstairs – don’t try to carry it in the box. It’s bulky and incredibly difficult to carry. Instead, take the mattress out of the box (but don’t unwrap it yet!). It’s much easier to handle that way. Once we had it in our room, we opened the packaging, unrolled it, cut away the plastic wrapping and watched in wonder as the mattress filled out. After letting it sit the requisite 48 hours, we were amazed that the mattress was just as firm as a “regular” mattress. If I had to rate the firmness on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being not at all firm to 10 being rock hard, I would rate it as a 7. It has a very nice firmness to it, yet soft enough so that my body pressure points don’t get a beating.

Overall, the mattress is affordable and very comfortable. I can safely say that I’m over my skepticism of the bed-in-the-box business model, especially ones from Zinus.

Zinus 14 Inch SmartBase Deluxe Mattress Foundation/Platform Bed Frame/Box Spring Replacement, Twin
Price: $62.17
5 used & new from $62.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and stable, June 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We received this twin-size bed frame in a surprisingly narrow box, roughly 4-5” wide (can’t remember exactly). Even after unpacking from the box, the bed frame folds up to the same size as when it was in the box. This is great for someone wanting the bed frame to be an extra bed and easily hid away in a closet. The bed unfolded easily and we simply had to tighten down the wingnuts holding the legs in place. I like the way it sits high up off the floor with plenty of room for storage underneath, unlike most of the other bed frames in my house. With the rubber caps on the legs, it doesn’t scrape or damage my wood floors either. The two other things I wasn’t sure about is whether it would squeak and if it would wobble. I’m glad to say that it does neither. After resting on it (with mattress of course, but no box spring), it didn’t squeak once, even with some tossing and turning. It was also very level with all legs maintaining contact with the floor.

Overall this bed frame is much better than the unsightly (and rather annoying) bed frames that you have to piece together with hardly any mattress support in the middle. With those, I’m always nervous the mattress/box spring is going to slip off the 1-inch shelf it rests on. With this bed frame, you don’t have to worry about that at all.

Rubbermaid Commercial Products FG9F1500CGRAY PROSERVE Insulated Food Service Pan Carrier, Top Load, Small, Gray
Price: $99.99
7 used & new from $90.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps temps great, but awkward, June 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Proserve carrier reminds me of a Styrofoam cooler that someone took and wrapped in a special nylon exterior. It’s big and awkward. I wouldn’t necessarily consider this to be a family food carrier as its size compared to the actual space inside seems to be at odds. It is very light weight, but because it’s so big, it can be awkward to carry. The inside of the carrier, while it does a great job keeping foods at a consistent temperature, is surprisingly limited in space due to the thick foam walls. The product description says that there was supposed to be a divider which “allows for separation within carrier into hot and cold food safe storage and reduces risk of cross contamination.” However, the product I received did not have such a divider and even if it did, I’m not sure how it would be used and still leave sufficient room to carry even a mid-size dish in either side. The description also says that the interior core is removable. However, the inner core is so tight inside the material that I’m afraid I would never get the covering back on if I took it out. I started to take it off, but couldn’t get it off easily. Can’t imagine trying to get it back on.

If you’re looking for a carrier to keep items hot OR cold (not both at the same time), this does a great job. Just don’t expect to fit very many items in the carrier at the same time.

X-Shot Bunch O Balloons - Green (3 Bunches - 105 Total Water Balloons)
X-Shot Bunch O Balloons - Green (3 Bunches - 105 Total Water Balloons)
6 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars May the water pods be ever in your favor, June 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This past week, we hosted a Dude Bash for two of my sons and their friends. With 15 boys ranging from 7 to 12, I knew we would need a LOT of water balloons. We ended up going with two options. The first was getting a case of 500 water balloons that came with a balloon nozzle. In total we spent probably 3 hours filling up and tying about 400 of them. By the time we were finished, my fingers were completely over tying tiny knots. Additionally, there was about 10% waste with about 50 balloons either having a hole in them or popping before we could tie them.

Our second option was the X-Shot Bunch O Balloons. I attached a bunch of approx. 35 balloons to the hose, turned it on and in about 60 seconds, the balloons were filled. I gave the bunch a quick shake/drop and the balloons dropped off, all tied and ready to go! If you want to get technical, it took about 3 minutes to fill and tie all three bunches (not 60 seconds like the product details claim), including taking the one bunch off and putting the next one on. But 3 minutes compared to about an hour per hundred we spent on the other ones is still a win in my books.
I thought for sure that this was the best technological advancement in water balloon warfare since the invention of the water hose. However, I noticed that the waste percentage was rather high. While filling we only had two balloons spring leaks. However, after 20 minutes or so of the balloons sitting in a tub of water, I noticed quite a few empty floaters. I ended up picking out 25 balloons that either didn’t fill correctly the first time or lost their water in about 20 minutes. It could be user error when I first filled them up, but when filling, there were some balloons that seemed ready to pop if I filled any more. So either then filling was uneven or the balloons lost their water.

This really is a trade-off, spending a little extra for the sake of your fingers and time. Is it worth $7-$10 for 105 balloons when you can spend half that for 500? That depends on how much time you have to fill and tie them. Other than the waste, the water balloons performed their duty perfectly in the battle against dry clothing.

Small aside: it’s amazing how quickly 15 boys can go through 400 water balloons!

Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones, Black
Bose SoundSport Wireless Headphones, Black
2 used & new from $200.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, low volume, June 14, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These Bose Soundsport headphones are pretty comfortable. The bud fits nicely in my ear and the little gray molded piece (StayHear+ tips) that fits into the inner curve of my ear keeps them in place nicely. At first, I wasn’t sure if they would stay in place because they felt rather heavy when I took them out of the box. However, once in and operating, they didn’t feel heavy at all. It came with the medium-size earbuds on, but the package includes small and large earbud fittings as well. I really like the in-line controls that include volume, track-skipping and a phone answer button. I also like that when you turn them on, it will tell you the battery level as well as the name of the device it is connected to.

Worth noting: I discovered that if you are using the headphones and your phone rings, you have to use the in-line button to answer the call. I discovered this when answering a call on my iPhone and used the normal call answer slide. I couldn’t hear anything until I lifted the phone to my ear. On the next call, I used the in-line answer button and could hear through the headphones.

This is my first pair of Bluetooth headphones. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but am pleased overall with the quality of sound. I will note however that the sound volume is much lower than other wired headphones, especially when using them on my laptop. With my wired headphones, I keep the volume down around the 10-20% range. But when I use the Bose headphones, I have to turn it up to at least 55% to get the same level of volume. But again, the sound quality is very good. The only other downside is that you’ll look like Frankenstein’s monster while wearing them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14