Profile for Joy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joy RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
My Kinda Party
My Kinda Party

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this., March 2, 2011
This review is from: My Kinda Party (MP3 Music)
Brantley Gilbert's "My Kinda Party" is excellent. It seems to be more raw than Jason Aldean's version. Don't get me wrong -- I love both versions -- but I am just trying to explain how they are different. I feel like I am at the party with Brantley when he sings it, whereas I feel like I am at a concert listening when Jason sings it.

A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman
A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman
by Lisa Shannon
83 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book., March 2, 2011
I had no clue about the Congo until I read A THOUSAND SISTERS. Lisa Shannon does a great job of explaining some of the history behind the brutal violence that is currently raging in several African nations. But what I really enjoyed was her honesty. When she felt stupid or duped or angry in some situations, she wasn't afraid to let the reader know. I could really feel her emotional stress as she listens to story after horrific story, yet never feeling like she can ever do enough for the women. I totally understood how she wanted to be a sister to so many women, but I don't know if she will ever be anything but Mama Congo to them! I would definitely read anything else Lisa Shannon writes.

This Ain't No Love Song
This Ain't No Love Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy song, March 2, 2011
There is something about Trace Adkins that is downright sexy, and this song totally contributes to that image! I love it. It is not hillbilly country at all, so don't be afraid to try it. "This Ain't No Love Song" is one that you will enjoy listening to over & over again.

Liar
Liar
by Justine Larbalestier
Price: $9.81
113 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars I am too gullible., March 2, 2011
This review is from: Liar (Paperback)
My problem when I read is that I always trust the narrator. So, I really struggled with LIAR because I wanted to believe Micah from page one. After I read it, I had to go back and reread most of it because I realized at the end that I couldn't believe anything she said, except that she is a liar. However, I really enjoyed the book. It is intriguing. It made me want to talk to other people about it, which is half the reason for reading. LIAR has captivated me this week!

The House of Tomorrow
The House of Tomorrow
by Peter Bognanni
23 used & new from $2.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., February 27, 2011
This review is from: The House of Tomorrow (Hardcover)
I love this book! I connected with every single character in the book, except maybe not for Nana!? In fact, I want to marry Jared & Sebastian. They are hilarious, even in the midst of pathetic situations. Don't get me wrong -- they are not phonies. They just know how to laugh & cry, instead of whining with annoying teenage angst. I will admit that I didn't understand all of the scientific info about the geodesic dome, etc.... But this is such a good book that I know I will read it again (a rare thing for me) & hopefully I will be able to focus more on the science & teachings of R. Buckminster Fuller. The concert at the Methodist Church is priceless, and I can't stop smiling when I think about it. You will love these characters!

The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth)
The Dead-Tossed Waves (Forest of Hands and Teeth)
by Carrie Ryan
Price: $9.99
97 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to toss this book., February 25, 2011
I had to force myself to finish THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES. I never cared for the narrator, Gabry, so that was a major negative right there. She was too full of teenage angst for me to take seriously. She would be fighting for her life against the Mudo & then wonder if she was ever going to get one of her crushes to kiss her again. Also, she finds out that Mary is not her real mother, so she gives her the silent treatment because she just can't trust her anymore. I was looking forward to reading about the next generation in this book, but they were really disappointing.

Stolen
Stolen
by Lucy Christopher
Price: $13.35
85 used & new from $0.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Creepy., February 22, 2011
This review is from: Stolen (Hardcover)
First of all, I wanted to like this book because it isn't part of a series! I am getting a bit tired of getting sucked into series after series.... Anyway, back to STOLEN. Gemma is an innocent girl who gets stolen by an evil man named Ty. He admits to having stalked her for years, planning this kidnapping. I had absolutely no compassion for Ty, & I wouldn't want teenage girls to get romantic thoughts about the situation! This is not a love story. Ty is evil. He steals part of Gemma's life. STOLEN made me think about the long-term effects on victims of violent crimes. I only gave this 3 stars because the characters did not WOW me.

Virals (Virals, Book 1)
Virals (Virals, Book 1)
by Kathy Reichs
Price: $11.89
244 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A mediocre novel., February 22, 2011
VIRALS just did not work for me. I am a high school teacher, so I am always looking for good books to recommend to my students. Perhaps middle school students might enjoy this, but it just does not feel like a book for older teens. In fact, there is very little cursing, so this book may very well be intended for younger folks. Anyway, Tory and her friends are 14. They basically do whatever they want. It is bizarre how much freedom she has to roam around Charleston & the surrounding sea islands! (Of course, she has all of this freedom because of her dead mother & always-at-work father.) Unfortunately, Tory and her friends become infected with the Parvo virus & subsequently develop dog-like qualities when they are in stressful situations. Even after reading the entire novel, I have no interest in the rest of the series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2011 8:57 AM PST

Please Ignore Vera Dietz
Please Ignore Vera Dietz
by A.S. King
47 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't ignore this novel!, February 22, 2011
Vera Dietz is such a wise character. She is able to experience torment & grief without becoming an emotional wreck. Instead, she learns from her anger & sadness. Although the flow charts are annoying, Vera's dad is likeable enough. The details about her co-workers at the pizza place are hilarious. But it is bizarre how many evil people are in Vera's world. This is a satisfying novel for older young adults.

Lockdown
Lockdown
by Walter Dean Myers
Price: $15.08
68 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars His best yet!, February 21, 2011
This review is from: Lockdown (Hardcover)
I am currently reading Lockdown to my 9th grade students, & they love it! They beg me to start reading as soon as the bell rings. The cursing is minimal for a book set in a juvenile detention center, plus it is easy to edit out if you feel uncomfortable reading curse words out loud. The chapters are quite short, so it is a great choice for readers who get frustrated with longer books. My students relate to Reese and the conflicts that he encounters. Through the character of Mr. Hooft, we have had wonderful discussions about prejudice & irony in life. Teachers, if you have been waiting for a great book to read to your students, then wait no longer! This is it.

Page: 1 | 2