Profile for M. Allison > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Allison RSS Feed (Oregon, USA)

VWTECH Unique Real Handmade Natural Wood Wooden Hard Bamboo Shockproof Case For Iphone 6 (4.7) (K)
Offered by VWTECH
Price: $33.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely fit; as advertised., January 27, 2015
Really nice case; fits beautifully, and nice workmanship. Haven't tried earphones yet, but all the holes seem aligned. This is a very good value and seems more expensive than the price. Also, delivered almost 2 weeks ahead of earliest estimated shipping date, with good communication from seller about the order.

Taos Women's Parade Wedge Sandal,Gold,39 EU/8-8.5 M US
Taos Women's Parade Wedge Sandal,Gold,39 EU/8-8.5 M US
Offered by Fusion Apparel
Price: $105.45
5 used & new from $105.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and classy, May 29, 2014
I got these today and they are exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want cheesy metallic--these are subtle and the gold is slightly distressed looking -- on the casual side of metallic. The fit is fantastic--a very nice soft, footbed with some contouring, nice flex in the sole, and just the right heel. The straps both across the foot and the instep are adjustable to accommodate variations in the foot. And they are really great to look at! I like these so much I would consider them in other colors-but to be honest, this is the only choice I really like. Wish they had them in like an olive, or burnt orange...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2014 11:00 AM PDT

The Jiangyin Mission Station: An American Missionary Community in China, 1895-1951 (The James Sprunt Studies in History and Political Science)
by Lawrence D. Kessler
Price: $33.91
21 used & new from $33.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, May 21, 2014
First, I should note that the description of this book on Amazon.com is clearly the wrong one, and Amazon should fix it.

Second, I commend this book to those who are looking for an understanding of the life and times of missionaries during this tumultuous time in China.

It's admittedly a little beyond the scope, but I wish the book had something more about the dynamics of the home churches during this time, as major events like the Depression were going on. As well, debates were heating up among Protestant congregations about the nature of foreign mission. Questions about both the purpose and methods of mission were active, and this was indeed a significant split amongst many of them. I have always wondered whether these trickled back to the missionaries.

It is difficult for me to read this book in a truly detached way. It so happens that my grandparents, who were in China from 1910 to after WWII, are featured prominently in this book, as this was their mission station in China. I am grateful for the extensive bibliography, which has helped me to trace many of their letters, although the location of the letters has changed since Kessler cited them (they are no longer at the Presbyterian Heritage Center at Montreat, as he indicates, but have been moved to the Historical Society in Philadelphia.) James Sprunt was also a dear friend and supporter of my grandparents: one of my aunts bore the (somewhat unfortunate) name of Sprunt as her middle name. I am so grateful to Lawrence Kessler for undertaking this work, and do recommend it to anyone who is looking for a representation of mission life in this heavily missionized country.

SCRABBLE
SCRABBLE
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars constantly freezes, January 4, 2014
This review is from: SCRABBLE (App)
After playing Scrabble avidly on the iPhone and iPad I was pleased to find my favorite game for the Kindle Fire HD. But it is a,mess and I will be removing it from my device and waiting for an update. One of the buggiest apps I have come across so far.

iPhone 5S Case, Spigen Tough Armor Case for iPhone 5/5S - Smooth White (SGP10493)
Price: $24.21
9 used & new from $21.30

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim, clean look with smooth, well fitted, harder surface, August 10, 2013
I purchased this in white and it is very clean and crisp looking, just like my iPhone 5, which is a look I wanted to preserve.. The top and bottom ends are just a little more matte feeling than the body, which is smooth but not shiny. This is not a rubberized texture, so it would likely slide on a dashboard--it has a harder feel, but seems well protected. Some might like a more comfort grip in the hand -- and this is more firm than that, but it is not sharp-edged like the phone is without a cover. I like how my pretty Apple mirror logo shows through the hole in the back. This looks expensive and classy and is still very slim. All the controls and openings are just fine with my iPhone 5. What remains is how it will weather dirt, etc., which is always tricky with white. After being disappointed with a Belkin rubberized white which turned gray within about 2 weeks, I will update on this. For now at least, I would say that this case is clearly better quality and better-made than cheaper cases--and I am pleased with my purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2013 11:36 PM PDT

GMYLE® Turquoise Robin Egg Blue Frosted Matte Rubberized (Rubber Coated) Hard Snap On Case Cover for 13.3" inch Macbook Pro (with 1 Year Warranty from GMYLE)
Offered by gigacity_amn
Price: $11.98
6 used & new from $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but not durable, August 6, 2013
Because this product fits nicely and is attractive, I am getting another to replace one that has been being chipped away at the edges over the past year, when I bought the last one. Particularly the bottom back corners are barely left. I don't throw my Mac around -- t's just this is not a super sturdy case. Still I feel it is not misrepresented in that, although not long-lasting, it does protect the Mac and it is very attractive. At $12 I will get another, but if you are looking for something more long-lasting, you might have to pay a little more!!

Kuzy - AIR 13-inch MINT GREEN Rubberized Hard Case for MacBook Air 13.3" (A1466 & A1369) (NEWEST VERSION) Shell Cover - Mint Green
Offered by KUZY
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looks, great feel, semi-disposable, March 11, 2013
I really like the color--it's as pictured and the feel of the rubber is great--not too squishy but also not shiny; the surface is just right. It fits the Mac very well. The glow of the Apple logo through the case is great--not quite as crisp and white as the pic, but still nice (note--you have to take this off to use the camera--it's covered by the case. ) Since I bought it about 5 months ago, both back lower corners have snapped off, although the case is still holding on ok. Also the little gray round casters on the bottom four corners come unstuck--they are just stuck on with adhesive. I am now down to one. I just cleaned the case off with Goo-gone and not really a big deal, however. I would recommend not getting the lightest color because they do show dirt, but can be cleaned. Not sure I will get another- all told, I would say this case will last about a year. It's pretty inexpensive, so not complaining too much. One other note--I have a beautiful leather envelope-style case for my macbook and adding this case makes it a little too big -- bear that in mind if you also have a close-fitting carrier.

Married to Africa: A Love Story
Married to Africa: A Love Story
by G. Pascal Zachary
Price: $22.52
57 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal, affecting, funny at times..., February 5, 2009
Our chatter about love and match-making is full of cliches that attempt to capture the challenge of people from two different worlds coming together. This is a story about such a match, told by someone who is both fully in the midst of it and a keen observer of it at the same time. It's appropriate to me that Zachary called it "Married to Africa," instead of "Married to Chizo"--because even though it's an intensely personal story, there's rich context about Africa and Chizo's African-ness, which give the book more color and substance than a "mere" love story. It's a vicarious journey into a terrifying, beautiful,compelling place, a place in space and time and a place in the heart, told with intensity, honesty and a sense of wonder. For those who may follow Zachary's other, more scholarly writing about Africa, and his excellent blog, [...], this is an interesting complement, and reveals some of what drives him to approach Africa with both his eyes and his heart fully open.