Profile for Jumpingbird > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jumpingbird "jumpingbird" RSS Feed (Ballarat, VIC Australia)

Daiseymaker
Daiseymaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative guitar, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Daiseymaker (Audio CD)
Great CD. If you like the guitar work of the B-52s, Fred Frith or Phil Manzanera, you may enjoy this gem. I'm the other side of the planet and feel carried away by this music, to a complete other world. What more can you ask?

Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books)
Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books)
by Nick Danziger
83 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to Central Asian travel writing, August 26, 2007
I first picked up this book ten years ago at a secondhand shop in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, at the end of the Karakoram highway and read it with fascination. Having travelled most of the same route very thoroughly myself, some things in the book come across as a little too fantastic, and others are just wrong . To be generous these could be failings of memory. Yet, these are minor flaws, that haven't stopped me from enjoying the book.

I disagree with the complaints on the amazon.uk site about the quality of the prose, keeping in mind it is a personal travel book and not a scholarly examination of the regions he passes through. We get insights into the people he meets but most importantly into the life of Mr Danziger himself. The omissions, the fantasies and ultimately the focus of the book always, like a dream, come back to the narrator and his own experience on his narrow path across the globe.

Well worth a read.

Indeterminacy
Indeterminacy
Price: $23.47
45 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to be a fan, December 3, 2005
This review is from: Indeterminacy (Audio CD)
When still a teenager I ordered a copy of this on vinyl from the States. In those days sea mail took three months to get a package from New York to Australia and I had almost given up when I got the postcard in the mail to say my order had arrived. The cost was astronomical, but I've had no regrets.

The stories are marvellous and introduced me to the monks of India and Japan, a passion for mushrooms and spices, Cage's novel approach to music and sound, the customs men in Holland who allowed John Cage to enter the country backwards to avoid paying duty on his cigarettes, and his friend's delight in the 'ardour' of the Russian ballet performance she had just seen.

In the past twenty-five years, the stories have inspired me to see the world and spend nine years in Japan looking for an old iron gate that some movie star in Hollywood would want to buy.

Please listen to the samples and make your own judgement, but be warned you may become obsessed and see the world a little differently afterwards.

Breathless
Breathless
DVD ~ Jean-Paul Belmondo
Offered by Web's Best Deals
Price: $53.40
38 used & new from $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Irritating, but that may have been the intention, April 6, 2005
This review is from: Breathless (DVD)
I really wanted to like this movie, and did find plenty to enthuse over, but ultimately, no doubt due to my own inadequacies as a human being, it was simply tedious. I was put off when half-way through, my wife started snoring and my 15-year-old movie buff daughter picked up a maths book to study in preference to watching more of it.

The most irritating scene is where Michel sits around in his undies playing the tough wiseass beseeching his 'girlfriend' to sleep with him. I doubt there was a tight script for this part of the movie. In an attempt to be hyper-realistic this scene sadly comes across as totally feigned - it's embarrasing watching the actors ad-libbing to fill-out their roles - and from this point the immersion in the reality of the movie is completely destroyed.

It reminded me of a John Waters movie with a girl is sitting on a train, eating lunch, farting, scratching her nose and staring out the window... for two hours. Performance art? Maybe.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2012 8:59 PM PST

After the Fox
After the Fox
DVD ~ Peter Sellers
Offered by Flix4U
Price: $97.49
19 used & new from $20.18

5.0 out of 5 stars "I wanna be in the movies", July 26, 2002
This review is from: After the Fox (DVD)
Read all the other reviewers - they've got it right.
Five stars. My 12-year old daughter and I know every line ("and I hold you responsible for the chicken!") and are always dancing around the house to the music. We've had an old Japanese VHS copy, with Japanese subtitles (often wrong, by the way, but quite funny) and were afraid we'd wear it out after nine years so ordered the DVD.
Must say, the sound quality is not that great - a lot flatter than the VHS, except for the Movie Trailer which has all the brassiness of the analogue version.
One great thing for us watching it on wide-screen was seeing all the stuff going on left and right of the action you see on VHS.
My wife still can't understand why we like this movie so much, but English is not her native language and this movie is very verbal.
Other good features on the disk are the language selections. You can watch it in French, Spanish or English (if you buy the US Amazon edition) and choose from French, Spanish or English subtitles. Don't know why there's no Italian - or Japanese for that matter, but that's often the way with DVDs.
Highly recommended.