Profile for Chris Zee Shutterbug > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 243

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris Zee Shutterbug RSS Feed (Baton Rouge La)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Honest Kitchen Revel Chicken and Whole Grain Dog Food, 2-Pound
The Honest Kitchen Revel Chicken and Whole Grain Dog Food, 2-Pound
Price: $15.67
3 used & new from $15.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Like high quality canned dog food you don't have to refrigerATE, April 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This food piqued my interest simply due to the fact that it was "dehydrated".
There are not many dog food that can make that claim. So I decided to give it a
try.

When I received the package, I noticed the label stated the ingredients were
"human grade" and not sourced from China (have been reluctant to use anything
from China since the melamine disaster, however not all dog food labels will
state the origin of their food.) This is a huge positive in my book!

When I reconstituted the dry food according to the label directions, it
smelled pretty good-definitely smelled more like perhaps "baby food" as opposed
to dog food. The consistency I made was just like canned food, and since I feed
my dog dry food with a dollop of canned food on top, it was perfect! And my dog
likes it too! I think one of the advantages of this food for me is that i can
prepare it fresh, one meal at a time without having to worry about refrigerating
any leftovers. It may be somewhat pricey, but when used in small portions it
will go a long way.

Linksys WRT AC1200 Dual-Band and Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Gigabit and USB 3.0 Ports and eSATA, Works with Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi Router (WRT1200AC)
Price: $179.99
2 used & new from $150.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of promise, but not there yet., April 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ever since the old WRT54G router came out, it was supported by the enthusiast community with customized firmware which extended its capabilities tremendesouly. Since it was based on Linux, software such as Tomato, OpenWRT and DD-WRT were capable of being run it. As things progressed over the last 5 years, the chipsets changed and so did the router operating system, some to the extent that the enthusiast community could no longer support the new models. The new Linksys WRT router line was supposed to change that. The WRT1900AC model which came out about a year ago was supposed to usher in the new era of open source support. Unfortunately as of April 2015, none of the open source software I mentioned supports it. The WRT1200AC with its Marvell chipset unfortunately is exactly in the same boat. Given that state of affairs I went on to put the stock WRT1200AC with its stock firmware to the test. I am on a 60 Mbit+ cable connection and utilize a Dlink DWA162 USB3 WiFi adapter. Unfortunately the WRT1200AC could not match my low price Dlink DIR850L router on either the 2.4Ghz or the5.0 Ghz mode.

As tested by Oookla speedtest with the fastest nodes;

2.4 Ghz Mode Dlink 59.3Mbit, Linksys 57.9 Mbit.
5.0 Ghz Mode Dlink 58.9 Mbit Linksys 57.65 Mbit

So throughput wise the Linksys was behind. Looks wise the Linksys wins hands down, it just looks tough. I also tested the NAS (network access) connectivity ports in the back, which was a mixed bag. Testing three various USB 2 and USB 3 sticks, only one 8GB USB 2 stick worked , the others gave formatting compatibility or partitioning errors, although all were Fat32, I had no such problems connecting a 500GB portable NTFS HD, which became instantly available to all my network connected devices. It can also be configured as an ftp device for semi cloud computing as well.

So in summary the WRT1200AC is a capable router with good feature set, but it does not deliver (yet) on the open source front, and it struggles to keep up with lower priced 1200 class routers.

May '15 Update. As suggested I did range tests with both Dlink and Linksys routers. This time using an HP netbook which is also equipped with both a 2.4 and a 5 GHZ receiver. Distances are for a usable signal (-80 to -90 db as measured by WiFi Analyzer) One wall, one brick outside wall, and open air.

2.4 Ghz Dlink 330 ft Linksys 290 ft
5.0 Ghz Dlink 162 ft Linksys 134 ft
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2015 7:31 AM PDT

Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Centipede Grass Seed and Mulch, 5-Pound
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Centipede Grass Seed and Mulch, 5-Pound
Price: $38.99
9 used & new from $33.94

4.0 out of 5 stars The seed with mulch makes sense for bare spots to get even coverage, April 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used this seed on my existing centipede lawn after the spring weed and feed and dethatching. After waiting a few weeks after the weeding I used a whirlybird hand spreader on the tight pattern (by cranking in reverse) to reseed the bare spots. I had quite a few including some under a Japanese Plum / Loquat tree where the rotting fruit seems to kill the grass. You need to check the soil PH to make sure its on the acidic side, as Centipede is probably the most acidic loving grass there is. When you first open up the bag its hard to see any seeds amongst the mulch, they are that small. The list says the seeds are 11%, so you get about half pound seed and four and a half pound mulch. That is by weight, because as you can see in the enclosed photo, by volume its probably just about all mulch. This is good I think as otherwise it would be next to impossible to spread the seed evenly. I waited to review this until I got some germination, which after two weeks Im seeing very well. The bag says that you get 85% germination and that my seeds originated in GA.

Jarrow Formulas Gaba Soothe, 30 VCaps
Jarrow Formulas Gaba Soothe, 30 VCaps
Price: $16.04
19 used & new from $10.81

4.0 out of 5 stars More relaxation compared to mental focus, April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There have been several supplements that I have experience with, and by now feel that I can place them in a relative order. Starting with those promoting/inducing relaxation to those inducing mental focus and acuity. Surprisingly to me anyway the least effective, but inducing relaxation was St Johns Wart, then various Valerian mixtures. Those I would give three stars to. The GABA soothe took about two weeks before any noticeable effect at which time about an hour after taking it, there is a subtle but noticeable feeling that things are good and everything will be alright. Day to day worries are put in perspective of being worked thru, rather than being a dark cloud. This feeling does not last too long, I would say about four hours total tops. Only one a day is recommended. Finally for comparison on the mental acuity supplements I would place lecithin, phosphatidyl serine and Noopept as the most active, in that order. So if you are looking to relax then the Gaba soothe is recommended by me, for mental acuity I would go to the other supplements I mentioned.

Tgom Hdmi to Vga Cable Adapter for Desktop/pc/ Laptop/ Tv /Dvd/ Ultrabook /Power Free Raspberry Pi, MHL Support Black
Offered by Kingear
Price: $5.83
8 used & new from $5.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty amazing versatility, works with many sources including Bluray players*, April 15, 2015
To start with the device works perfectly, as advertised with Raspberry Pi 2 running Raspbian and OSMC (multimedia server) without any configuration, on both old Dell VGA monitors I had. They were a 15" 1024*768 and a 19" 1280*1024. OSMC was full screen, while Raspbian came up with black bars top and bottom (Im confident that can be changed in the config file).

Moreover I tried to plug in two Bluray players into it, a Panasonic and a Samsung. They both worked on the 1280 19" monitor, but the 15" 1024 monitor displayed "cannot display this mode" message. I got a nice picture with both a DVD source and a Bluray source disc. The picture was stretched vertically to fill the 4*3 ratio screen but it was watchable otherwise.

AvoDerm Natural Revolving Menu Small Breed Lamb Dog Food, 4-Pound
AvoDerm Natural Revolving Menu Small Breed Lamb Dog Food, 4-Pound
Price: $15.99
6 used & new from $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking for skin allergy relief - size comparison and ingredient photo included, April 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Avoderm dog food is specifically developed for rotational feeding" with different protein sources to rotate through, and is grain free.
The lamb recipe has "omega rich avocado" supposedly added for a healthy skin seems to be a good choice for my small shih-tsu. I am hoping to find a food which will minimize scratching and small hive like bumps on her skin. The kibble is small, just right for small dogs, and she had no problem eating it. She seems to like it as she eats it with gusto. The labeling states it is all natural and provides healthy balanced nutrition and meets the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO for maintenance. The skin problems do not go away fast, so I will update in the future.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Phosphatidylserine 20% (Non-GMO) (25 Grams)
Phosphatidylserine 20% (Non-GMO) (25 Grams)

4.0 out of 5 stars One of few cognitive supplements that may actually have some real data behind it., March 24, 2015
The powder came in a nicely sealed bag which contained a desiccant capsule. Also included was a plastic dosage spoon which unfortunately was way too big for the recommended dosage. This however was very promptly handled by the seller which sent me a whole packet of correct size spoons (~100mg), they are not labelled on the spoon however. As this supplement is one of the very few that may actually do something for cognitive functions per limited testing, its the closest thing to endorsement by consumer magazines and web md sources that I have seen. It is vegetable not bovine derived. Personally it definitively causes an urge to do, write, or create something about an hour after it is taken and that effect lasts for about 3-4 hours. I only take it occasionally and once a day. Additionally I had a nerve induced tooth/head ache for a long time, after taking this it got slightly better, after taking it for about a week it was totally gone. This was after a year of trying all sorts of non and prescription NSAs. Could have been a coincident, but I am very thankful. I give it only four stars because its difficult to use. This powder tends to clump very easily, and you may be better off with a capsule version.

Vivitar FCCAN Flash Cord for Canon Digital Cameras (Black)
Vivitar FCCAN Flash Cord for Canon Digital Cameras (Black)
Offered by A&R PHOTO VIDEO INC
Price: $13.98
11 used & new from $13.89

5.0 out of 5 stars No red eye, dual flash capability and great for macro as well, March 24, 2015
The Flash cord I received is branded "focus", see the picture attached. If anything it may be better for some as the part that mounts on the camera hot shoe has another hot shoe on top of it rather than a smooth top in the description. Again see my photo. This allows you to have two flashes mounted on the camera and with the built in switch control which one fires. Unless one is an optical slave they will not fire at the same time though.
I have tested both the top mounted and the cord mounted shoes, and they both communicate with the camera based on the switch position. When the flash is mounted on the off position shoe, the camera says cannot communicate with the flash ; off or incompatible. The TTL functions well as do all the in the camera control functions for all the features your flash is capable of. The cord is about 18" long coiled and stretches to about 3ft. The locking mechanism is the rotary plastic ring screw, and the camera mount is all plastic shoe. A very handy device for no red eye, dual flash setup and macro photographs where a long lens would throw a shadow and a standard flash would aim too high.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Zeikos  ZE-DS12 Digital Slave Flash with bracket for digital SLR and point and shoot camaras
Zeikos ZE-DS12 Digital Slave Flash with bracket for digital SLR and point and shoot camaras
Price: $7.95
11 used & new from $6.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Compared to Neewer flash, March 13, 2015
This for the most part is the same review as I did for the Neewer branded version of what appears to be the exact same flash. It certainly performed the same way. Interestingly mine did exactly the same thing as in one review below mine. When initially powered up, it made a noise as if it was charging, then it died. I swapped in several sets of batteries, it appears that one of the springs in the bottom of the battery compartment gets stuck. Once freed up, when both the top and bottom of the batteries made contact, the flash came back to life. I now use the built in camera flash as a main light and trigger for two of these little slave flashes which I position on either side of my subject. My estimate of the guide number is 20-30 (ft) at Iso 100. Not very powerful, but great as fill and side lights.

Comments applicable from before: I use this slave flash as a fill in light for impromptu portraits. It works extremely well for removing harsh shadows by placing the slave off to one side or slightly behind your subject. To use it along with a Canon DSLR in ETTL II camera mode, set the switch on the back to S2. Then you can use the camera flash compensation +- 3EV to vary the light ratio between the slave and the camera, or leave the camera flash setting at 0EV and move the slave closer or further away.

The second way to use the slave is to set the camera flash to manual mode. This requires the slave to be set to position S1. Place the slave where it illuminates your subject well (it even works for hair highlights when used from behind), then you can use the on camera flash power adjustment from 1/128 to 1/2, or the f-stop to control the overall picture look and feel.

It is truly amazing how much fun and creativity you can have with this one unit. I am rating the The Zeikos version of this flash slightly lower than Neewer because of the battery contact issues.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Potato and Kangaroo Dry Dog Food, 6/4-Pound
Price: $19.79
7 used & new from $15.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoppin' around for good dog food, March 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was interested in this food due to its "limited ingredient diets" claim. My dog has some skin issues and some have mentioned limiting the food ingredients as a possible solution. But first and foremost, the dog must want to eat it. Would she even eat kangaroo??
I am happy to say, after allowing my dog to choose between this and 2 other foods, that although not her first choice it came in second place. She seems to like it just fine.
The labeling states it contains balanced omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids along with high quality protein to help support healthy skin and a shiny coat. Along with the potato and kangaroo, which are the main ingredients there is some brewers yeast and salmon oil along with some vitamins and minerals. Sounds pretty simple and a lower than most fat content only 10%.
So while my dog has only been on it for a week, and it is too early to tell if it will help her skin condition, I am crossing my fingers and will continue on this regimen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20