Profile for I'm a Realist > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

I'm a Realist RSS Feed (Michigan United States)

Levi's Men's Ace Cargo Accurate Flap Pocket Twill Pant, Harvest Gold, 30x34
Levi's Men's Ace Cargo Accurate Flap Pocket Twill Pant, Harvest Gold, 30x34

5.0 out of 5 stars Skinny pants for a skinny guy, March 9, 2014
These fit great. Finally a pair of pants that don't feel too big. The length surprised me as I thought they might be too long. The 34 length is perfect for my legs, where usually 32 are too short and 34 too long in other jeans. After a lifetime of swimming in other pants I finally feel like I have some pants that fit well. Got 3 pairs at different times and they all fit the same. I'd like to see some more color options in the future.

Teva Men's Chair 5 Print WP Snow Boot,Black,12 M US
Teva Men's Chair 5 Print WP Snow Boot,Black,12 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, light, comfortable, March 9, 2014
These boots are very nice and very light. I was looking for a pair of insulated boots that didn't weigh a lot. These are extremely light and comfortable enough to wear all day without fatigue. They have held up well since I got them. They are a little tight to get on, but that's what makes them fit well. They are waterproof and have helped me stomp through foot high snow without any issues. I have done plenty of squatting and bending with them on and the rubber lowers have not cracked or leaked at all. The soles are very grippy on the snow and ice. Very pleased and hoping they last at least a long time.

Mens Genuine Leather Slide Slippers | Orthopedic Insole | 404 (12)
Mens Genuine Leather Slide Slippers | Orthopedic Insole | 404 (12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basic slippers, March 9, 2014
These looked questionable when they first arrived. The leather is very stiff and paper-like. The souls are made of a very hard foam material. That being said, I like them a lot and they have held up well. They are light and not uncomfortable. The soles have not softened up but that is not an issue for me. I much prefer these over most store slippers that have a soft sole that just flattens out anyway. I wear them constantly when I'm not in my shoes or boots. They have broken in nicely and I have not had any loose stitching or failures in the material. Overall I'm very pleased with these slippers.

Sun Joe SJHH1901 Hori-Hori Garden Landscaping Digging Tool with Carbon Steel Blade and Sheath
Price: $14.00
22 used & new from $14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems good considering the price, March 9, 2014
Good heavy tool that should be great for digging. It's still winter here so I won't be using it for another month or so. The serrations aren't like a knife but that's probably because this is for digging through dirt and not for cutting bread. The handle is not laminated or sealed in any way, however the words 'Normal wear on blade is expected' are stamped in ink on it. Regardless of price I wouldn't expect the blade coating to last. But this 'disclaimer' is kind of lame and I would have been happier to see a sealer or some stain on it instead. The faux leather sheath is sized good and fits the digging tool well. The stitching looks kind of weak but the rivets should hold it together without issue. Overall the quality seems quite nice, particularly with the fourteen dollar price tag. I can imagine getting a lot of years worth of digging out of this tool. The only major flaw I see in it, is the fact that the 1 inch marker is exactly 3/4 of an inch from the tip - so don't go using this to replace your tape measure yet.
Comment Comment | Permalink

ASUS N56VZ-DS71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
ASUS N56VZ-DS71 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, October 10, 2012
PROS
No dead or bright pixels. The LCD panel is gorgeous with a very wide viewing angle. I'd prefer a thinner bezel but not a big deal.
Keyboard is tight and responsive, easily the best I've ever used. Backlit and full number pad is great.
Touchpad is large. Buttons are built into the pad with single click all over, and left/right built into the bottom of the pad. The 2 and 3 finger swipe gestures are simply superb. Once I got used to them I rarely push down to click anything. 2 fingers tap is right click - genius.
Quad core with HT is a no brainer; love the speed and responsiveness - even with the 114+ original running processes.
8GB of RAM is more than enough.
This thing runs cool. Unplugged and browsing the web its cool everywhere except the exhaust fan (inaudible) and the bottom middle its slightly warm.
Battery life using windows power management and screen brightness at 2nd lowest setting is going to be about 5.5 - 6 hours. That's based on the past few hours browsing the web.
Video card is decent. I wasn't in it for the video card, but after reading reviews and info about the architectures it was easily apparent that the 650m is superior to the 630m on heat and power usage, not to mention 4x the CUDA cores.
The speakers sound very good, and get even fuller if using the subwoofer module.

CONS
Bloatware. Original startup was 114 processes I believe. After uninstalling a bunch of ASUS utilities and windows live stuff and also turning off a bunch of startup stuff in msconfig, its down to 91. Everything I uninstalled or turned off affects nothing for practical purposes. Even the Power4Gear power settings don't do enough in my opinion to justify their existence on the machine (although the interface is very nice looking). Windows does a good enough job for managing things for me.
The HDD was upgraded as soon as I got it; threw in a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. Now the original 750GB will be used as a backup drive for the home server.

CONCLUSION
I couldn't find a better value laptop out there. Most important for me was the 3rd Gen i7 Quad, new nVidia video card and 1080p panel. The extras like backlit keyboard, bluetooth, webcam and awesome touchpad are just icing on the cake. I tried pricing some Dells and a Vaio and with these little extras the price was always well over $1500. I am extremely happy with this laptop. Getting the next step up processor would have been nice but I couldn't find it with the other features/$ I required. Overall it is a great build quality and excellent performer. Getting it from AMAZON next day for $3.99 was awesome and well worth it.

InFocus X1 Video Projector
InFocus X1 Video Projector
7 used & new from $155.00

4.0 out of 5 stars good projector, November 28, 2003
I just got the Screenplay 4800 from Sams Club. It is a newer version of the X1. The only difference is it comes with a remote and is fine-tuned for home theater instead of data video. For ~$1250 I got the projector and a 76" widescreen screen. The lower grade DLP does show some "rainbow" effects, but it's not that bad in my opinion. I am very picky about all A/V products I buy and this has passed the test. TV out from my VCR looks awesome and DVD through the component video out looks absolutely amazing. I have not seen a decently priced projection TV that looks even a fraction as good as this projector.