HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro Automotive Deals
Profile for Glenn Fink > Reviews

Browse

Glenn Fink's Profile

Customer Reviews: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Glenn Fink RSS Feed (Arlington, VA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Westinghouse WRC201B Small Appliance 14-Cup Rice Cooker, Black
Westinghouse WRC201B Small Appliance 14-Cup Rice Cooker, Black
Offered by MY Home Products
Price: $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Consistently burns the bottom, July 3, 2016
Maybe I've been spoiled by having a rice steamer over the years that steamed the rice with water (instead of cookers) but this thing has, over 2 batches (using a lot of extra water the second time), consistently burned up a layer of rice on the bottom of the no-stick teflon rice bowl, and also undercooked the rice itself. Off to try to find a better product to replace this; guessing it's already too late to send it back for a refund. Disappointing.

GoPro HERO+ (Wi-Fi Enabled)
GoPro HERO+ (Wi-Fi Enabled)
Price: $174.99
36 used & new from $159.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Unless you use it all the time, the battery life is an issue, April 8, 2016
This is not a bad camera at all - read the other reviews for details on its advantages. It does have one serious drawback though. I don't actually use it all the time and it's not practical for me to have it charging all the time when not in use. It will often sit in my travel bag for several days between uses. If you do this, you'll find as I have that even if you packed it with a fully charged battery, chances are good the battery will be absolutely dead as a doornail when you go for the camera. This is not an issue with most cameras. To make matters worse, you cannot record while the unit is charging on the computer or in a wall socket (possible if you buy a wall socket USB). I am not sure if you can while charging in the car - that may be possible - but still, it means that 9 out of 10 times when I go to use the camera, the battery is dead. So it really tasks you to plan ahead and not try to record anything spontaneously.
If anyone out there has suggestions/advice for how to work around this, I'd appreciate it.

Jensen JTA-230 3 Speed Stereo Turntable with Built in Speakers
Jensen JTA-230 3 Speed Stereo Turntable with Built in Speakers
Price: $48.95
273 used & new from $36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what is it, and that's not a bad thing - just don't ask for more!, September 25, 2015
For 45 bucks, this is a great little item. It is not particularly loud, there's only a little bass response, and forget about using the headphone jack or plugging it into a bigger amp - the sound from the preamp on this is too tinny. Besides, I already have another turntable hooked into a sound system if I want loud, excellent sound. But this is fine for a work cubicle or on a bench, something where it's slightly enclosed or against a wall or in a corner. Not for cranking, but for the experience. If you ever sat with records and a self contained record player as a kid, this will bring back memories and that feeling of uncomplicated discovery of listening to records. It is also quite the conversation starter. While recognizing its limitations, I couldn't be happier with it.

Toro 51609 Ultra 12 amp Variable-Speed (up to 235) Electric Blower/Vacuum with Metal Impeller
Offered by National Shopping Center, LLC
Price: $126.19
9 used & new from $70.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The bag sucks (no pun intended), November 12, 2014
This product has got a good motor and does a good job with blowing and vacuuming leaves. The impeller is a must - whatever you buy should have one. The only true design flaw is with the bag. The strap broke on only my second time using it. More research showed me that usually the zipper breaks on customers, rendering the bag completely useless. New bags are between $20-25 and you should expect to have to buy a few, and figure that into the price. But, it does a good job otherwise. But the bag thing is a big deal. Not cool to have to keep buying replacement bags. I am going to look for another solution.

Skip James: The Complete 1931 Session
Skip James: The Complete 1931 Session
2 used & new from $19.00

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite records of all time, June 4, 2014
First: I purchased the vinyl. I also owned it back in the early 90s. I bought the CD and gave the vinyl away. Ooops. Big mistake. The CD is in an alternate order and somehow the sound has never given me the same chills that the vinyl does. It's 180 gram and sounds as good as a record full of scratchy acetates from 1931 could ever sound.
Now if you aren't already aware of Skip James, I suggest finding some cuts from this record on youtube or some music service. He "came back" in the early 60s during the folk revival. Those recordings sound better, but, the performances are not nearly as great as these earlier versions are. So look for the 1931 versions (sometimes referred to as the 1930 versions; I'm not sure which year is correct). Despite inferior sound, this is the only Skip James record you'll ever need.
Having said all that, I can now say this is easily one of my top 10 records of all time. I like this even more than Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, or Charley Patton. He's my favorite pre-1940 artist and more people need to hear what he was doing back then, and how it was delivered. It is astonishing. (I'm So Glad was covered by Cream, for what that's worth, and several artists have covered "Devil Got My Woman" and "If You Haven't Any Hay." Special Rider is one of my favorites.

Satechi® Smart Converter USB Port Cigarette Adapter for iPhone 6 Plus, 6, 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad Air, Mini Retina, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, S6, S5, Note 4, 5, Nexus 5, 5X, 6P, HTC M9/M8, Lumia 950, OnePlus 2/One and more (2.4 AMP) (Single USB Port)
Offered by Satechi
Price: $14.99
10 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, May 19, 2014
Im using this to power a dash cam. Works beautifully, no issues whatsoever. Plug it in, plug in your usb line, and the power is there. No unpleasant surprises. I expect it will last a long time.

Live In Japan
Live In Japan
Price: $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Kind of a major (minor?) flaw with the MP3s of this concert, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Live In Japan (MP3 Music)
Just thought people might like to know that for reasons that are inexplicable, the mp3 files on sale for this album at Amazon all have a 1 second silent gap at the end of each song. This is especially maddening when listening to "Ballet for a Girl in Buchanon" (Make Me Smile, Color My World etc) which is spread over 7 mp3 files. That is one piece where the gaps really mess up the flow. Amazon, if you're reading this, I would urge you to RIP this one over again. I checked these files in Pro Tools, and it's true that the gap is present in each file and cannot be removed, even if ripped to a CD.

The concert itself is very good. I notice a lot of people saying it has higher sound quality than the Carnegie Hall concert. This is debatable now, since they did such a great job with the remastering of that show.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 10:21 AM PDT

Song To A Seagull
Song To A Seagull
Price: $12.99
92 used & new from $2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars If I were to be honest, this is easily my favorite Joni Mitchell album, April 26, 2013
This review is from: Song To A Seagull (Audio CD)
Where I grew up, we had a stack of Joni Mitchell LPs. This one, Clouds, Ladies of the Canyon, Blue, For the Roses, and Court and Spark were all there. Some stiff competition there as all of these LPs are sensational in their own way, and all contain classics if they aren't classics as wholes. But this particular one has always stuck with me the most and is the one I admire more than any of the others. There is a certain beauty to this one that eludes everything that came after it. Blue comes the closest, but I can't really put my finger on the quality that elevates this so high. There are several extremely beautiful and memorable moments, and the song order flows nicely. I Had A King, Song the the Seagull, Nathan LaFraneer, Michael From Mountains and Cactus Tree are all favorite tracks. After spending a month or so listening to this one nonstop, I listened again to all of the others mentioned above, and none of them appealed to me the same way. One of the reviewers said that if you like Nick Drake, Astral Weeks (Van Mo), Renaissance and Sandy Denny, you'd love this. Well, I regard all of those acts/albums very highly, and Astral Weeks would couple nicely with this one. The mood is rainy day, and the music is cathartic.

Seconds [Vinyl]
Seconds [Vinyl]
Price: $23.75
9 used & new from $7.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Seconds [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
Like the other reviewers, I bought this after I'd purchased the Red Hash disc. And I got this one on vinyl (and it's a good vinyl experience; lyrics printed on the back, cool label design, vinyl seems to be of a good quality). I don't think it's a bad LP at all, maybe not as good as Red Hash, but that would be a pretty high expectation as that is truly a classic. I expect I'll play this one early in the morning, where Red Hash is more likely to be a night time record. But I enjoy hearing this one too, and I hope Gary continues to make more records.

Unknown Pleasures: Live In Australia
Unknown Pleasures: Live In Australia
28 used & new from $11.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much a dream come true, April 28, 2012
The bad news of course is that Ian Curtis is long gone and there is never any hope of recreating the original Joy Division. This is, to my ears and without any doubt, the next best thing. I realize it goes against the long standing philosophy of Joy Division and New Order to only look forward, never backward. But it's such a relief to hear someone associated with the original band out there recreating all this amazing music that only a very small handful of their fans ever got to hear live. New Order has only performed a handful of Joy Division songs, and only began doing so in 1998. But to actually hear a concert based entirely on Joy Division material is a long-awaiting treat. There's a certain relief to hear it, as most live Joy Division recordings are of a terrible audio quality and here finally is a nicely recorded document of a darned good approximation of the original group.
I hope they release a second CD of the Closer album in concert!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5