Profile for Janet Aldrich > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Janet Aldrich RSS Feed (Cleveland, OH USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Secret Society® - Hidden Mystery
The Secret Society® - Hidden Mystery
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars fun!, January 29, 2015
Challenging and different. Never boring!

Where the Birds Never Sing: The True Story of the 92nd Signal Battalion and the Liberation of Dachau
by Jack Sacco
Price: $13.19
74 used & new from $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Personal Application, January 28, 2015
This was an important book for me, because my dad, George Lingel, was in this unit. He'd never talk about his time in the war, except for a few funny things that happened before he left England (and to say that he didn't want to work for the phone company despite his training in the war because he never wanted to climb a telephone pole again!)

Thank you, Mr. Sacco, for telling me a little bit about what my dad went through.

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Indistinguishable from Magic
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Indistinguishable from Magic
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm always looking for a good new books to read, December 22, 2014
I'm always looking for a good new books to read, but this isn't one of them.

I was intrigued by a ship full of engineers, but the execution didn't match the concept. It says something -- not good -- when you think, "Well, that was a pretty good book" and then you look at the indicator on your Kindle and see you still have half the book to read.

This would probably have been served better as a series of shorter books -- there's a Ginsu-knifish (yes, I know that's not a word) feel of "Wait! There's more!" that could have worked better as individual cliff-hangers. Eventually, I skipped to the last few chapters and frankly don't feel as though I missed much.

A shame ... with some editing and more careful reviewing pre-release, it could have been some good books.

Counter Investigation (Contre Enquete)
Counter Investigation (Contre Enquete)
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good movie - but very painful, October 3, 2014
A good movie - but very painful. Jean Dujardin's character is a police officer who deals with drugs. When a snitch calls him on his day off with his daughter for help, he leaves her at home while he handles the problem -- only to receive a call that turns his world upside down. He and his wife sit through the trial of the man who has been captured for the girl's abduction and murder. Only, after finding some additional information, he starts to work for the prisoner's release.

There is a stunning twist at the climax of the movie, which adds to the sadness of the movie.

7 Petits Mots (7 Little Words)
7 Petits Mots (7 Little Words)
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun -- and a big help towards improving my French, October 3, 2014
Fun -- and a big help towards improving my French! / Fun - et une bonne aide pour améliorer mon français!

English - French Dictionary of most common words
English - French Dictionary of most common words
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, October 3, 2014
Somewhat limited, but still useful

The Late Scholar: Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane Investigate (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane Mysteries Book 4)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't hate it. I just didn't love it, October 3, 2014
I don't hate it. I just didn't love it. Part of the problem is that it just seemed to go on and on. I think it could have been wrapped up much sooner, been much more concise. And I think Josephine Tey's books are better exemplars of the post WWII era. I agree with another reviewer that Lord Peter is a part of the interwar period and he just doesn't seem to fit here as well.

p.s. Does anyone else remember an off-hand comment Peter made in one of the early books where he talks about how the aristocracy has fallen off (rather dispiritedly, as I recall) -- for some reason, in the course of that, I thought he mentioned (somewhat disparagingly) a sister of St. George. I can't believe he was talking about Mary.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2014 11:11 AM PST

Spock's World
Spock's World
by Diane Duane
243 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars This is Spock's World, but the Writer's Hero is McCoy, August 19, 2014
This review is from: Spock's World (Hardcover)
Diane Duane wrote what is probably my favorite ST:TOS novel -- "My Enemy, My Ally". Sadly, her subsequent books (including this one) have been a disappointment to me. This is largely due to her tendency, no matter who the erstwhile hero of the book appears to be, to ultimately make McCoy the actual hero. This is Spock's World, but there's almost no real Spock in it. She continues this trend in Doctor's Orders, The Romulan Way (another case where what salvages the book is the 'history' - see below). She may have also continued it with the subsequent "Rihannsu" books, but since I never got more than a chapter or two into them, I couldn't say.

I did enjoy the history of Vulcan, but the "contemporary" parts of the book were annoying to me -- her Vulcans were far too human. The next time I want to delve into the other races of Trek, I'll read "My Enemy, My Ally" and follow it up with the late John M. Ford's marvelous "The Final Reflection".

The Final Reflection (Star Trek: The Original Series Book 16)
The Final Reflection (Star Trek: The Original Series Book 16)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of what Trek fiction should be, April 16, 2014
I would have liked to meet John M. Ford, who sadly passed away far too early. He wrote two of my favorite Trek novels. This is one of them, along with "How Much for Just the Planet?"

Vrenn of the lineless houses is a Lancer, one of the living "pieces" in the game klin zha, a Klingon form of chess. He is adopted by the Thought Admiral Kethas epetai-Khemara and becomes a strategist in his own right, and eventually an officer in the Klingon military.

Krenn (Klingon names are "ennobled" by beginning them with 'k' when one is made an officer) is ordered to go to Earth and bring back a Federation ambassador -- but in the Klingon Empire, there are games within games (what the Klingons call the "Komerex Zha", the perpetual game) and there is more to his mission than he knows.

The story is framed by short interplay on the Enterprise, where we learn Krenn's story has been turned into a novel. Both Spock and McCoy make brief appearances in the novel (McCoy by mention).

Ford's Klingons are real people, and not the cardboard cutouts they were in the original series. At the end of the book,
Kirk says: "I feel a sort of bitterness now, one I am not sure if the author intended. Perhaps it is because I have seen how things could be made different, given only small changes: I think of the Klingons I have just read about, all of them now surely dead ... and I think of how much we have lost, by not knowing them sooner."

If you haven't read this book, those are entirely appropriate sentiments.

Verbosity's Vengeance: A Grammarian Adventure Novel
Verbosity's Vengeance: A Grammarian Adventure Novel
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when you thought you knew superheroes ..., October 22, 2013
It has to be tough, given the current glut of superheroism on the market these days, to find a fresh approach to the subject. Fortunately, Tony Noland's "Verbosity's Vengeance" pulls this off nicely.

If you're a fan of Norton Juster's "Phantom Tollbooth", you're already half-way to VV. Unlike most superheroes, who use jet-powered gadgets, a full utility belt or, if necessary, their fists, our hero, the Grammarian, uses words (and punctuation) as his weapons -- the ever-popular semi-colon (an in-joke for those familiar with Tony's flash fiction and his blog, Landless), the odd prepositional phrase and the ability to scan (and presumably diagram -- look it up, kids) the sentences his nemesis throws at him.

Of course, there's more than just witty bon mots involved. Fans of Tony's writing know that he's a hard science guy -- if he was a straight fantasy writer, he'd be Heinlein to someone else's Bradbury. Before you start reading, you might want to check out the idea of memetic energy, the true force behind the Grammarian's ability to fight the bad guys. It's such an fascinating concept that the heroine (another scientist) is almost more intrigued with it than with the Grammarian, or even his mild mannered real-life persona, Alex Graham, bibliophile and bookseller.

Naturally, there are some superhero memes that show up anyway -- I don't know how you could avoid them, but even those are well-handled and add to the overall enjoyability of the book: The lab explosion that gives the hero his abilities, the wanna-be sidekick (think "Incredible Boy" from the Incredibles), a former-superhero mentor, a bad guy who seemingly comes out of nowhere and is a step up on the usual enemy, and even an AI who acts at his sidekick. You're likely familiar with Iron Man/Tony Stark's programmed pal, Jarvis. Thing is, I found Alex/The Grammarian's Mrs. White much more realistic -- she seemed possible to me. And there are some laugh-out-loud moments between her and Alex.

We even get a showdown between The Grammarian and Professor Verbosity with some almost Bondian elements (and even if he wears a suit most of the time instead of a cape, what is James Bond if not a superhero?) I'll leave it to you to find out if good triumphs over evil or the reverse and whether the Professor will show up in a sequel.

Verbosity's Vengeance is intelligent fun and well worth the read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4