Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for immelbatoast > Reviews

Browse

immelbatoast's Profile

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

immelbatoast RSS Feed (NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Uncle Milton - T-Rex in My Room
Uncle Milton - T-Rex in My Room
Price: $16.65
25 used & new from $16.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Relatively happy, July 12, 2014
My kid loves it, and it looks great, but it's rather flimsy once put together. If you're going to use it as a display piece and your kid won't be playing with it, it's great. However, beware that the stand is really flimsy and REALLY easily falls apart, and I've even knocked the stand apart when trying to turn on the light (it's operated by a tiny switch in the back). The pieces of the head snap together good enough, but if a child pulls on them they can definitely fall apart. The head is rather heavy, and the stand is super lightweight and flimsy, and doesn't snap together tight.

Overall, I don't regret the purchase, but I wish the stand was a higher quality. I also wish there were a shut off timer for the light, or a remote control (since most kids are probably using it as a nightlight). That's where the stars really come from...I'll put it on as a nightlight, then sneak into the room to turn it off once my child falls asleep, and it's very awkward to do in the dark without the flimsy stand falling apart. The lack of these features makes me say that it isn't worth full price, but if you can get it for half off and your child likes dinos, it's probably a good bet (just make sure it doesn't scare them either!)

3 Mesh Wash Bags New and Improved More Durable Mesh with Secured Zipper Closure, Pack of 3 - 1 Year Replacement Guarantee
Offered by Fishers Finery
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Came back to buy more, July 12, 2014
I ordered a 3-pack of these to try out, since my other mesh bags were getting ratty and would get caught on the dryer (they were another brand & the holes were large enough to snag on things). There's 3 things I look for in a mesh bag: 1). Size 2). Durability and 3). a zippered closure that stays closed. This meets all 3 expectations.
The size is great for me. I don't put more than one thing per bag (unless it's underwear), because I feel like it won't get as clean since water and detergent has to pass through the mesh. These are the perfect size for a bra or a shirt. You could probably fit 2 shirts if you wanted to. They're a nice size for an average sized bra, and will accommodate the cups without squishing them. The mesh is a fine mesh, and seems well woven. The zipper seems to be a good quality too. I haven't had one zipper even budge from about 10 washer-dryer runs so far (on regular cycles, not even delicate). I hate drawstring because it tends to catch or wrap around random things, but a lot of zippered products don't stay zipped. This seems to be a quality zipper that closes tight.
I came back to buy more of these because I'm so pleased. :)

Small World Toys Sand and Water - Catch of the Day (b/o)
Small World Toys Sand and Water - Catch of the Day (b/o)
Price: $21.17
21 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fishing toy, May 15, 2014
Bought this for my son since he likes fishing and I was looking for something to teach him how to use a real fishing pole. This is as close to the real thing as I could find without it being flimsy or easily breakable. The two lures don't really change in difficulty level (it's magnet based, and a relatively strong magnet), and the fish seems sturdy enough to hold up to abuse. I didn't have any issues with the fish falling off the hook, which I was surprised about because the fish is somewhat heavy. The reel has a "cranking" sound to it like a real one, and the string is thick enough to stand up to multiple wet/dry states.

Two things to point out with this - As I said the magnet is relatively strong, and the fish is pretty big. Because of that, if you want to play with this in the bathtub, be prepared for some difficulty and kids getting frustrated. The lure easily attaches to the tub because of how strong the magnet is, and the fish being big means it swims in a circle (which tends to mean along the edges of the tub). So you're trying to catch the fish along the edge of the tub with a magnetic lure that easily attaches to the tub edge. This toy is better suited for small pools because of that.

Fisher-Price Drillin' Action Tool Set
Fisher-Price Drillin' Action Tool Set
Offered by jonanz discount
Price: $20.59
30 used & new from $19.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, but limited use, May 15, 2014
My son loves pretending to build things and use screwdrivers (especially since he helps us replace batteries in all of his toys), so I thought I would get him this for his birthday. It's definitely made of a good quality that will hold up to repeated use, and it is relatively realisitic (drilling in two directions - out and in, nails "needing" to be hammered in instead of easily being pushed through, the claw end of the hammer fitting the nail heads well, etc), and the carry case is great to keep it all together. The pieces are large enough that it shouldn't be easy to lose the screws unless things are getting thrown everywhere (in which case, any toy of any size can go missing). My son definitely likes playing with this.

I could only give this 4/5 stars though, mostly because I wish there were additional sets to buy to do more with this base set. Something like additional boards, screws, and nails you could buy with multiple hole placements so you could build boxes, or even just attach them randomly together. Three screws and three nails only give so much playtime. I also wish there were a top to it (to make it more like an enclosed box) so that it would be stackable and keep everything contained inside.

For the price I got it, it was worth it to me, and I suspect that this would be an even better toy for places like a pre-K or Dr office because it holds up very well but has a limited use (kids will probably be amused for 10 minutes tops then move on to other toys).

Calculus For Dummies Education Bundle
Calculus For Dummies Education Bundle
by Consumer Dummies
37 used & new from $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't pass calculus without it, March 9, 2014
While this book is missing a few things we learn in Calculus I, those things are few and far between, and are pretty simple concepts. I don't know how I would learn and understand Calculus without this book. I would recommend this book to anyone from any background that wants to learn Calculus, and the workbook definitely adds to the book. My class textbook is entirely useless, other than having the problems I need to do for homework. Even the answer guide purchased separately was useless for understanding what was going on. Instead, Calc for Dummies explains what is going on in simple terms, and has enough humor in it to avoid being dry and sleep-inducing.

Disney Cars Floor Puzzle BLUE
Disney Cars Floor Puzzle BLUE
Offered by retroflip77
Price: $9.99
8 used & new from $6.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Kid loves it, March 9, 2014
The pieces are nice and sturdy, they don't seem like the decal will peel off easily, puzzle itself is a nice size and is appropriate for my 3 1/2 year old to put together on his own without getting frustrated.

Pump for 16 oz China-Gel Therapeutic Topical Pain Reliever - Pump Only
Pump for 16 oz China-Gel Therapeutic Topical Pain Reliever - Pump Only

5.0 out of 5 stars Got this for my Cerave Lotion, fits great, March 9, 2014
I really don't have anything to complain about for this, it fits the top of my Cerave lotion jar perfectly, doesn't gunk up, no issues with the pump, etc. I purchased this 6 months ago and it's still going strong. Would definitely recommend if you're looking for something with the Cerave or similar sized jars.

High Sierra Zoe Backpack, Fuchsia/Pink, 19x13.5x8.5-Inch
High Sierra Zoe Backpack, Fuchsia/Pink, 19x13.5x8.5-Inch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with customer service so far., February 13, 2014
I bought this bag not even 3 weeks ago, and already had to fix one of the zippers once (the teeth below the zipper opened, so I had to force it back closed and the zipper down to reset it). It happened a second time, and opened all the way down to where it is sewn, meaning I can't fix it now. the pull tab on the zipper also broke while I was trying to get the zipper far enough down to make the bag somewhat useable until I can get it replaced.

"No problem" I thought, thinking it would just be a quick e-mail or form filing to get a replacement. They tell you where to e-mail regarding warranty issues, but I received an automated response that they'll reply back in "7-10 business days" and saying to call this 888 number for faster service. I called the 888 number and they simply say there's no one around to answer your call so try back some other time. I'll update this with how long it takes them to actually respond and what happens, but so far this is making me regret my purchase. The bag itself is nice, but I can't give it more than 3 stars right now when I still have a defective bag.

Update one month later: So far I e-mailed High Sierra a month ago re: the broken zipper, and they asked me to send back photos of the tags and damage. Then they asked me to destroy the bag by cutting a hole in it and e-mailing pictures of that, along with giving my top choices. I responded back, asking how long I would be without a bag if I have to destroy this one, as I need this bag on a daily basis and need to plan for not having one. They asked for my choice in bag, then said they will check with the dept. to see if it was available...two weeks ago. I e-mailed them again to check on it and they finally shipped the bag out to me. The replacement seems to be in working order so far. The bag is nice, but beware if you think you'll be needing warranty replacement.

Magnetic Stick N Stack Magnetic Tiles 100 Piece Set Clear Colors with 2 Magnetic Wheel Bases
Offered by Crystal Deals
Price: $69.99
3 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value & fun, January 22, 2014
I bought these when they were on sale as a flash deal, and I'm glad I did. My 3 1/2 year old son loves playing with them, and I'm glad he has a quiet alternative to other building toys. Clean up is made easy by them being magnetic, and it's teaching him patience and being gentle because if he pushes too hard, the building collapses. The only negatives I can think of is that the box is heavier than you would expect (if you're planning to travel with them), and one of the wheels came cracked. I'm going to write to the company to see if they will send a new wheel part. Overall, I'm happy I bought this.

Gaiam Be Inspired Print Yoga Mat (4mm)
Gaiam Be Inspired Print Yoga Mat (4mm)
Price: $24.98
6 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Focus T25 so far, October 21, 2013
I was looking for a non-slip mat for my Focus T25 workouts, mainly as a joint cushion (I do the workouts barefoot/in minimalist shoes, and sometimes do "girly" push ups so my knees hurt on the concrete floor). I needed a mat that:
1). Was the right amount of cushy to be able to do quick movements
2). Didn't slip when doing a lot of quick-position changes, jumps, sprints, etc
3). Was long enough to comfortably do exercises like Heisman maneuvers without having to shorten my stride or end up off the mat
4). Didn't get slippery when wet with sweat

I bought this mat today at a box-store and used it for my cardio workout. I can say it meets all of the above requirements, although my bare feet did tend to stick a little bit to the mat towards the end when the mat got a little sweaty. It wasn't a deal-breaker however, it wasn't so sticky that I was lifting the mat up or felt in danger of injury, it just makes a possibly annoying "tacky tape" sound when running. I don't mind it. The mat stayed put while I jumped around on it, and had just the right amount of bounce/give for doing a heavy program like T25 & P90X.

Since this comes rolled, plan on flattening the very inside edge a bit before use if you want a perfectly flat mat. I'd imagine just alternating the roll direct would solve that. It's a little on the heavy side, but I expect that with a thicker mat.

Overall, I took off a star only because of the scent it has on arrival (hopefully it airs out a bit), and because the design is really tough to read due to lack of contrast on the lettering. I plan to see how it fairs with extended use, and might up it to 5 stars if the scent goes away soon & it holds up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4