Profile for Gary Peterson > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 468

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gary Peterson RSS Feed (San Diego, California USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Cheddar Goldfish - 0.75 oz. bag, 300 per case
Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain Cheddar Goldfish - 0.75 oz. bag, 300 per case

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good, and Easy To Control The Intake.., April 15, 2015
Back in my youth, I used to love Cheez-its. I could sit down and eat a whole box. Mmmmmm, good. Well, a lot has happened since then. Somewhere along the line, Goldfish appeared. Hmmmm. Is there any difference besides the shape of the cracker. I don't think I could tell the difference. Either one is equally good, in my opinion. It just so happens that my little store sells only Goldfish, so that's my latest choice whether I prefer them or not. I actually prefer Cheez-its, but the difference is ever-so-small that I don't worry about it.

Another change is that these little morsels come in a variety of different-size and different types of packets. I prefer the smaller ones. It's a way of controlling my intake, a necessary way to do things with these little jewels. Mostly I buy them in one to two-ounce bags. Sometimes I buy the little 2-ounce milk-container-like boxes. This way, its much easier to control my intake. I'll have one or two packets per sitting and thats it!

In another change, the little packets now come in regular baked crackers and whole-grained crackers. I've opted for the whole-grained variety. I actually prefer the old non-whole-grained crackers, but my long-tern health concerns suggest that whole-grained ones might be a teeny bit better. My latest acquisition is a large bag of smaller bags and this worked rather well. I can eat one of two of the smaller bags and experience little guilt, as opposed to pigging out on a whole box or large bag. Alas, choices, choices. Life is difficult.

Gary Peterson

Zevia Natural Cola Soda (12x16OZ )
Zevia Natural Cola Soda (12x16OZ )
Offered by ValoMarket
Price: $19.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing! Zero Calories. Excellent!, April 14, 2015
My nearby Fresh and Easy Market introduced a line of about a half dozen diet drinks in 16-ounce cans and I've tried about half of them. The Cola Soda strikes me as one of the best. It's sweet, but not too sweet. Good flavor. Refreshing. I like it better than either Coke or Pepsi. It's sugar free and zero calories. Excellent!

Gary Peterson

Hampton Farms Salted & Roasted In-shell Peanuts * Large Bag * Net Wt. 80 Oz (5 Lbs.)
Offered by GREEN-LIFE
Price: $14.97
12 used & new from $7.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sugar-Free Snack., April 14, 2015
I enjoy late night snacking while reading or watching TV. I'm on a diet emphasizing cutting out as much sugar as possible and peanuts fit the bill with less than one gram per serving.. By the way, my bag is only 12 ounces and is branded with the "San Diego Padres Baseball Club" imprinted on the label. Probably a local variant. Same salted in the shell nuts. Different size bag. Same Hampton Farms logo. Maybe every city large enough to have a baseball club has it's own variant. Interesting way to sell more nuts, I suppose. In any case, they're quite good nuts. Mine seemed a little stale (not a problem) and I would have preferred them to be a little saltier. My last bag of peanuts was a five-pound bag of Hoodies that was stale to the point of inedible. These are good. I'll buy them again.

The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner 2 / Pack
The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner 2 / Pack
Offered by BisonOffice
Price: $16.22
8 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, April 13, 2015
Cleaning the bathroom bowl is one of those tasks I always find myself putting off. It's an onerous chore! In my bachelor's days I used to let it go so long that an ugly dark ring would form around the water level and the entire sub-water area would be deeply discolored. I remember one time when it was particularly bad because I had run out of bowl cleaner and I couldn't seem to remember to buy some more when I went to the store. So, one day I found myself in the local discount store (Wall-Mart) looking over the cleaning goods. Alas, all the bowl cleaners were gone except for one brand called "The Works," of which plenty was available. "The Works" was only about half the cost of the other unavailable popular brands, and I figured that was probably why they had so much of it. It probably didn't work nearly as well. In any case, my situation was desperate, so I picked up a bottle.

Upon getting it home, I took it into the bathroom and emptied a portion into the festering bowl. It was a light, watery and largely uncolored liquid, quite unlike the thick, sticky oddly-colored popular brands. My reaction was negative. There was no way this watery stuff was going to clean that filthy bowl. I let it set for about an hour and then returned with my toilet bowl brush determined to carry out the onerous task. Whisk, whisk, whisk and the bowl gleamed. I was absolutely dumbfounded! This is a hard water region and the bowl
stains always required scrubbing. With this stuff, one wipe and they were gone. Amazing! Astonishing! It was, by far, the best bowl cleaner I had ever found, and the cost was bargain basement. The next time I visited the store and tried to pick up some more, none was available. The same thing happened on the following trip. Then one day, it was back. I picked up ten bottles. It was that good. I've been using it ever since.

"The Works" is an amazing unsung product. I've never seen an ad for it and I don't see the product in most stores. Evidently, the advertising is largely word of mouth and the product can be hard to find. But if you're ever interested in getting your bathroom bowl as fresh and sweet as a spring breeze with an absolute minimum of effort, give it a try.

Cat Litter Scoop, Blue
Cat Litter Scoop, Blue
Offered by 10dollarwholesale
Price: $4.99
2 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tougher and Longer Lasting., April 12, 2015
This review is from: Cat Litter Scoop, Blue (Misc.)
I have two cats, one cat litter box, a 42-pound bag of clumping cat litter and a tendency not to clean the box often enough. In fact, one time I let it go so long that the box was just one clump. LOL! As such, I tend to break a lot of litter scoops trying to remove some of the larger lumps. I know, it's all my fault, and I ought to take better care of the box. However, at my age, I doubt that I'm going to reform. Plus, the cats seem to be very tolerant and don't complain. Well, I've gone through a lot of scoops in the seven years I've had the cats. The latest scooper has held up well. It seems to be made of a tougher plastic and has lasted a lot longer than the less flexible ones that are made of brittle plastic. I don't recall where I bought it, but this little scooper has a price tag on it that is about half of the listing price here. As such, the lower price plus the tougher construction makes it a good value. Perhaps I should go to one of the stainless steel scoopers, but this one is pretty good for plastic and I tend to be somewhat cheap.

John Frieda Luxurious Volume Touchably Full Hair Conditioner, 8.45 Fluid Ounce
John Frieda Luxurious Volume Touchably Full Hair Conditioner, 8.45 Fluid Ounce
Price: $5.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Well with my Short Hair., April 11, 2015
Not too long ago, I had a lady over-night visitor and she left a couple items in the shower of the guest bathroom. One was a 8.45-ounce tube of John Frieda Luxurious Volume Conditioner. Well, I have short hair and I don't ordinarily use a conditioner. I can't resist trying new items, however. So, I've used after three hair washings. I have no negative comments. No positive ones either, I might add. Again, I don't use items like this. My friend has long delicate blonde hair and it must work well for her and I'll have to somehow get it back to her. It has a nice, very light fragrance, I might add. I'd judge it to be excellent, but it could use a better test than my short crew-cut.

Gary Peterson

Dove Go Fresh Cool Moisture Body Wash Cucumber & Green Tea Scent 3.0 Oz.
Dove Go Fresh Cool Moisture Body Wash Cucumber & Green Tea Scent 3.0 Oz.
Offered by Eabargain Inc
Price: $3.88
5 used & new from $0.35

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm Impressed., April 11, 2015
Not too long ago, I had an overnight woman visitor and she left a 3-ounce bottle (plastic) of Dove Go Fresh Body Wash in the guest bathroom shower. I'd never heard of the product, but I like to try new items. So I tried it. Several times. Nice, fresh, good lather, very light scent ( it's made with cucumber and green tea). Works well. Very refreshing. Hmmmm. I'll have to somehow get this item back to her, but If I see it on any shelves in the future, I'll definitely consider buying it. The bottle is just the right size for my travel kit.

FungiCure Anti-Fungal Liquid, 1 Ounce Box
FungiCure Anti-Fungal Liquid, 1 Ounce Box
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $10.27
6 used & new from $8.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, Easy To Use., April 9, 2015
A few years ago I noticed that my large toenails were discolored. I thought nothing of it, but someone said that I had toenail fungus. Toenail fungus? What next? Anyway, I put up with it because it didn’t seem to be doing any harm and I always keep the nails under cover.

A more recent lady friend noted my ugly nails and said I really ought to do something about them. She gave me a small bottle with a small brush and said I was to apply the liquid several times a day. The liquid was FungiCure. I painted the nails on an irregular basis ever time I managed to remember it (about once every three days or so for about the next month). Then, earlier this week, I looked at the nails and the discoloration was almost entirely gone and the nails looked much more healthy. This FungiCure Broad Spectrum Anti-Fungal liquid had apparently done the job. Great! The nails not only appeared better, they also looked better. They felt better too. I don’t know, as yet, if my fungal problems are over, but they’re certainly much better.

Punk Rock Blitzkrieg: My Life as a Ramone
Punk Rock Blitzkrieg: My Life as a Ramone
by Marky Ramone
Price: $20.97
79 used & new from $9.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Punk Rock: Back To The Origins., March 27, 2015
“Ramones" is a name applied to a Rock ’n’ Roll band of four guys from the Forest Hills Section of Queens in New York City. It was a name originally coined by Paul McCartney and used by this group as if it was a last name of a group of brothers. In fact, none of them were related, but it gave them a feeling of unity. They also dressed in costumes, both on stage and off, and all had long dark hair. The costumes were black leather jackets of various types, tattered jeans and sneakers. Indeed, they looked like a tough set of NYC Punks and the music they played became known as Punk Rock. Ramones got their start by playing at a Bowrey dive known as CBGB. They quickly gathered a following and a record contract and the word spread, particularly to Great Britain and Europe.

The original Ramones were Tommy (drums), Johnny (guitar), Dee Dee (bass guitar) and Joey (singer). Their stage presence was typically with Joey front and center and the two guitars to either side with the drums in the back. Their music was a loud, fast, in-your-face wall of sound and their songs were short, catchy and quite humorous, in a droll, understated way. In short, it was fun listening and audiences responded enthusiastically. It was the birth of “Punk Rock” and quickly became a major cultural revolution. Ramones will probably go down as America’s most influential Rock “n' Roll band of all time, although their records were never particularly well selling. Alas, all original Ramones are now dead, but Marky Ramone, a first replacement for drummer Tommy, lives on to tell the story “Punk Rock Blitzkrieg: My Life As A Ramone.”

“Blitzkrieg” is an interesting book, particularly if you know a lot of 60s and later music. If you don’t, it’s difficult, but a good way to get started. The book is co-authored with Marky and Rich Herschlag. The pasting together strikes me as rather uneven. I’d guess that Herschag wrote at least 75 % of it. I’d imagine that Marky gave him the info and Herschlag put it together in his own writing. He’s a good writer. His parts of the book are interesting and informative, but somewhat ho-hum. On the other hand, here and there are parts that are written in an eastern accent by someone with an imperfect command of English and they’re funny, really funny. I’d guess that those parts were written by Marky and little modified. They’re truly funny and, trust me, the book would have been much better, although much harder to read, if Marky would have done more of the writing. On top of these two styles are little segments here and there which seem to fit neither style. My guess would be that others collaborated, but are not listed as co-authors. In any case, the reading is rather uneven, although I’m not complaining about it. In another way, the book seems more to be a book about Marky. It’s subtitled “My Life as a Ramone” and I would have preferred it to be less about his life and more about the other Ramones. Well, that’s all right too. It’s Marky’s book and he can do as he likes. I’m just offering my opinion. It’s a fascinating book. It tok me about three days to read it. I cringed at some of the personal details such as Joey's hygeine problems or Dee Dee’s substance abuse problems, but I guess those would have to be voiced to have a complete understanding of the group’s dynamics.

If you get interested in Ramones' music, you should also view the “End of The Century” and “Rock and Roll High School” DVDs. View them either before or after reading the book. You’ll enjoy them either way. Gabba Gabba, Hey!

Gary Peterson
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2015 1:45 PM PDT

Casio Women's LQ139A-1B3 Black Classic Analog Casual Watch
Casio Women's LQ139A-1B3 Black Classic Analog Casual Watch
Price: $9.99
19 used & new from $5.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Looking Analog Watch For My Young Son., March 21, 2015
I bought this basic and inexpensive Casio woman’s analog watch for my young son. He’s now six and in kindergarten and has known how to read watches/clocks for a few months. I wanted him to have the analog face. Anyone can read a digital watch, but I wanted him to have the additional experience of reading the hands so he could read all watches.

It’s a nice looking watch, flat black with only the numbers, letters and hands standing out in lighter colors. It’s said to be a woman’s watch, but there’s nothing feminine about the watch, except for the size. My boy seems delighted with it. I’ve owned about a half-dozen Casio watches since 1980 and they’ve all given me good service. I could predict that the band will eventually break, but we’ll see. Actually, the boy will probably give it a good beating but it’s so inexpensive that I won’t worry about it. I’ll just get him another one. Maybe, when he gets older, I’l get him one of those heavy-duty shock absorbent ones, but this one will work for the moment.

Casio is a well-known Japanese company, but I note that this particular watch is "Made in China." Hmmmm. I hope it’s as good as the Japanese Casios.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20