Profile for Gary Peterson > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 335

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gary Peterson RSS Feed (San Diego, California USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Musique 1: 1993-2005
Musique 1: 1993-2005
Price: $9.98
65 used & new from $3.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Daft Punk Compilation. Quite Well Done., March 12, 2014
This review is from: Musique 1: 1993-2005 (Audio CD)
I enjoy Daft Punk music and have since I first discovered it about five years ago. Nice stuff! There's captivating beats with real fine melodic intervals interspersed. Wonderful listening. Good dancing too. Vocals are sparse and simple, but quite effective. I own most of their CDs and DVDs including the wonderful "Random Access Memories" which picked up the Best Album of the Year Grammie. It earned it.

More recently, I discovered the "Musique Vol. 1" album. I already have about half the songs on this compilation disc, but I bought it anyway. It focuses on Daft Punk music turned out from 1993 to 2005 and most of my stuff postdates that so I pick up a lot of the early stuff, in addition to the repeats.

The album is nicely done and the songs are appropriately mixed in a good order for my listening. I seem to like almost all Daft Punk music, but here I especially enjoyed "Around the World," "One More Time," "Robot Rock," "Technologic" and "Human After All." The others are good also and I'll probably learn to like them more as I continue to listen. This early Daft Punk music has a more stiff, mechanical feeling to it than the recent "Random Access Memories" disc. The latter sounds less "computerized" and has a lot of traditional instruments employed including a lot of guest vocalists. I take it that this is the direction that Daft Punk will go in future issues. It's nice stuff, and I'll be looking forward to it. In the meantime, this early Daft Punk compilation fills a nice void in my CD library.

Rosallini Eye Hole Design Blackhead Remover Acne Pimple Extractor
Rosallini Eye Hole Design Blackhead Remover Acne Pimple Extractor
Offered by LT-Giant
Price: $1.20
37 used & new from $0.08

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe It Will Work For You, Maybe Not., February 24, 2014
I've been troubled with minor pimples and blackheads for my entire life. It's no big deal, but I'd like to get rid of as many as possible. I remember that when I was a teenager, my mother had one of these little steel pimple removers and it worked well. Hence, I spotted the Rosallini Blackhead remover and I ordered one. It took over a month to arrive and I was annoyed by the time it finally got here.

The blackhead remover doesn't work very well with me and partly it's my fault. Using it requires close vision with a mirror. As a teenager, that was no problem. However, as an adult, I've gone through many changes in eyeglasses and now wear bifocals. My vision, either with or without the eyeglasses is insufficient. Second, the elongate remover is completely straight. I cannot get the little hole on the blackhead because one or another part of my face is in the way. I would regard this as a basic design flaw. So, the long-awaited blackhead remover has failed in every way. I'll rate it as two stars, because my weak vision is not the fault of the tool. If you can use this thing, I wish you well.

Fade to Bluegrass: Tribute to Metallica
Fade to Bluegrass: Tribute to Metallica
Price: $17.47
34 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Unusual and Enjoyable Album!, February 14, 2014
I listen to a lot of music and most would fall into the "Popular" category, as opposed to to "Jazz" or "Classical," although I listen there too now and then. I don't particularly care for "Metal" or "Country," but even there lurks some good stuff. For example, I've always had a fancy for Metallica and I own three albums including "S and M," their gig with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra (quite a good DVD, I might add). With "Country," I enjoy listening to "Bluegrass" now and then and I enjoy watching bluegrass musicians perform. Well. not too long ago, a Facebook friend called my attention to a "Fade to Bluegrass" CD featuring Iron Horse. It's a "Bluegrass Tribute To Metallica" and is very highly rated. After reading just a few of the Amazon reviews, I just had to have it. I've been very satisfied from the first play.

What can I say? It's a collection of 10 well-known Metallica songs done up in fine fashion by an excellent bluegrass combo. Who would have ever thunk? You just have to hear it to understand and when you listen, you'll probably have a smile on your face. I particularly enjoyed "The Unforgiven," "Nothing Else Matters," "Fuel," and "Enter Sandman," but all of the songs were exceptionally well done by a very capable combo. It might take a bit to get used to Metallica songs without a drummer, but the rest of the bluegrass instruments fill in to provide a fine rhythm section. The harmonized vocals are really, really good. I'd say your enjoyment of the album would be enhanced if you liked bluegrass music and had a tolerance and familiarity with Metallica. Neither is really necessary. It's just good music. Relax and enjoy!

I had a friend over who enjoys music. I didn't indicate anything about my new album and just put it on. A few bars into "The Unforgiven," a puzzled look appeared on her face. It quickly changed to bewilderment and she stated "I know this song." I said "Think Metall..." That was all it took and she had it down. We both laughed and enjoyed the rest of the album.

Gary Peterson

Halls Drops, Menthol-Lyptus, 30-Count Drops (Pack of 1)
Halls Drops, Menthol-Lyptus, 30-Count Drops (Pack of 1)
Offered by Flaura
Price: $4.45
10 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Good For My Irregular Speaking Voice., February 6, 2014
I have an ongoing intermittent problem with a rough and irregular speaking voice. It often bothers me when I'm talking to classes or speaking to groups of people or, sometimes, just when I'm trying to carry on an extended conversation with an individual. It's not a sore throat, such as comes with cold. It's probably more a problem with my vocal cords. In any case, a cough drop can provide relief. The question is, which cough drop? I've tried a lot of them over the years. The best I've found is the Halls Triple Soothing Action Mentho-Lyptus drop. So, whenever I can be expected to do a lot of talking, I carry a small handful of these in my pocket. They're quite soothing without overly tasting like medicine or a type of candy.

Gary Peterson

Black Lava Hawaiian Sea Salt (5lb bag Fine Grain)
Black Lava Hawaiian Sea Salt (5lb bag Fine Grain)
Offered by San Francisco Salt Company
Price: $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting and Distinctive Sea Salt., February 5, 2014
I review a lot of things for Amazon and have been doing it for about ten years. As such, I'm ranked toward the top of the reviewers list and I get a lot of offers to review things, mostly books of one kind or another. I turn down about 99% of the offers in that I just don't have the time. Every once in a while something comes along that catches my interest. The San Francisco Salt Company, for example, asked if I might review a couple of their specialty salts. I agreed to do it and they suppled me with two five-ounce packets of the products.

The first was an Alder Smoked Sea Salt and I reviewed it a couple months ago. It was really distinctive and I loved it. Next was a Black Hawaiian Lava Salt. This one I find a little puzzling. It's dark black in color and looks more like pepper than salt. Evidently, the color is provided by activated charcoal which has anti-oxident properties. It's quite a good salt, but I can't see any other particular advantage over other good sea salts. It's a novelty, that's for sure, to have a quality salt on your eggs that looks like pepper, but the novelty wears off in short order. In any case, it's quite a good tasting salt, much better than the typical commercial salts. It will be put to good use and I would buy it again. However, it's nowhere nearly as distinctive as their Alder Smoked Salt. I thank the company for allowing me to sample these two interesting and distinctive gourmet salts.

GRENADE - Car, Truck, Notebook, Vinyl Decal Sticker #2071 | Vinyl Color: White
GRENADE - Car, Truck, Notebook, Vinyl Decal Sticker #2071 | Vinyl Color: White
Offered by Dixies Decals LLC
Price: $2.18
10 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Distinctive and has Good Visibility., February 5, 2014
I bought this grenade decal sticker for the back window of my pickup truck. I know it's a grenade, but I'm not certain of any deeper meaning. Hopefully, there is none. I have a white Toyota Tacoma Pickup, and they're very common. On a large parking lot you might be able to spot a half-dozen of them. As such, I bought a couple distinctive decal window stickers in that they show up at distance and enable me to identify my truck without having to walk over and check the license plate. My decals work fine and are a big help.

Gary Peterson.

Kirkland Signature Roasted, Seasoned Seaweed Winter Harvest 10 - 17 gm Packages
Kirkland Signature Roasted, Seasoned Seaweed Winter Harvest 10 - 17 gm Packages
Offered by America Anywhere
Price: $15.94
16 used & new from $11.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Good. Light and Salty Taste. Ten Packets., February 5, 2014
Several years ago, I became aware of seaweed as a snack. I picked up a small package at Trader Joe's and later at a nearby Fresh and Easy Market. I liked them and repeated the purchases several times. More recently, I was shopping at my nearby Costco Warehouse store and found a big package of 10 0.6 oz packets of Roasted and Seasoned Seaweed. Well, if I liked the others, why not try it.

The roasted Seaweed was quite good. It was lightly flavored (slightly fishy) and salted and rather tasty. It almost seemed to melt in your mouth. An individual packed was five servings and the whole thing only amounted to 100 calories. No sugar. Just a light salt. They're rather interesting and tasty and I usually eat about a third to a half of an individual packet at a sitting. It's a tasty munchie that doesn't amount to much of an intake.

Gary Peterson

Majans Bhuja Snack, Nut Mix, Net Wt 28.22 Oz (800g)
Majans Bhuja Snack, Nut Mix, Net Wt 28.22 Oz (800g)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and Crunchy. Salty and Spicy, but not Sweet., February 5, 2014
When I go to Costco, I always pick up a variety of snacks Specifically, I was looking for sugar-free snacks. In the nut section I found these Bhuja Nut Mix Snacks. They were very low sugar and had a lot of peanuts, almonds and cashews in addition to peas, chick peas and a variety of other things. The taste was both salty and spicy. Not bad, but not one of my favorites either. They'll disappear, but not overly fast. They were nice and fresh and crunchy, I might add and they fit my "Stop Only Sugar " Diet.

Gary Peterson

Cream for Joints with Sea Buckthorn Oil and 13 Herbs 250 ml (Alezan)
Cream for Joints with Sea Buckthorn Oil and 13 Herbs 250 ml (Alezan)

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides Relief For My Ailing Left Ankle., February 1, 2014
Many years ago, I was a runner. I used to race every weekend and I've completed 11 marathons with a best time of 3:27. I finally gave up marathoning at about the age of 50 because of recurring sore ankles. I continued running for another 20 years but finally gave it up altogether at about the age of 70. The problem was sore ankles, particularly the left ankle. Those ankle problems continue until today and I'm now 77.

The ankle problems are no big deal and I'd do the whole thing over if I had the chance. I take some minor pain medications when they act up. One of my favorites has been Bengay Pain Relieving Cream. It helps.

A couple weeks ago, I slipped on a stairs and gave my left ankle a good twist. Now, it really hurt and the Bengay didn't seem to help much. I was mentioning this to my Mother-In-Law (from Russia) and she suggested Alezan Cream For Joints, a product from Russia. Okay, I decided to try it when I discovered it was available on Amazon.

The Alezan Cream is sorta like the Bengay in that it comes in a plastic tube, I put a little on a hand and then rub it in to my sore ankle. Afterwards I put a sock on that leg to control the Alezan over night. Acually, I have no idea if this is the correct way, in that the Alezon comes only with explanations, cautions and instructions in Russian. Such is life.

I'm really surprised that I've had excellent results, much better than with Bengay. The next morning, my ankle is pain free and walking around on it was much easier. What a relief! I can't imagine that a topical salve, such as this, does the damaged interior any good, but it certainly makes it feel a lot better. I plan to continue until my ankle feels better and then keep a supply around in case I ever injure it again.

Blue Diamond Bold Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds - 38 Oz Tub
Blue Diamond Bold Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds - 38 Oz Tub
Offered by madbee online
Price: $26.99
2 used & new from $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty! Have a Certain Intensity. Fresh and Delicious., January 26, 2014
In the past couple years, I've really enjoyed Blue Diamond Almonds, and especially of the Smokehouse Flavor Variety. I buy them in big jars at a nearby Costco Store. This time, when I was shopping at Costco, I discovered an additional BOLD Wasabi and Soy Sauce Variety in a 38-ounce plastic container. Well, I had to try it!

These are good, real good! I might like the Smokehouse Variety sightly better, but these would be a close second. They have a certain breath-taking intensity, to be sure, but are mild enough that most people will enjoy them. My jar was nice and fresh and delicious. My only problem is stopping the eating. Oh well, nuts are supposed to be good for you, aren't they? These sure taste good!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20