Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Profile for Jeremy Nicklas > Reviews

Jeremy Nicklas' Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeremy Nicklas RSS Feed (Columbus, OH, USA)

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000)
Price: $168.50
122 used & new from $129.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow WiFi, November 12, 2013
A few of the negative reviews hit this problem on the head. First off, I do get decent speeds "in the beginning" with the wireless N adapter (5-6 MB/s) for file transfer between computers on the network as well as hitting my 30 Mbps down / 5 Mbps upload speeds on using the WiFi which agree with my Time Warner subscription advertised speeds. Now onto the problem, after about 15 minutes of wireless connectivity all wireless devices begin developing a drop in speed. After enough time has passed gives me speeds of 9-12 Mbps down / 5 Mbps upload (this is with wild fluctuations in speed). Also network file transfer speeds drop to about (1-2 MB/s). This was true across 2 mobile phones and a desktop with a wireless adapter.

Some might jump to the conclusion is inconsistent. Well, shortly after rebooting the router I get back my 30 Mbps download speeds on speedtest. Also, the wired network consistently hits a solid 30 Mbps download speed no matter when I test it. To check that it isn't the three wireless devices, I plugged back in my old TPLink wireless N router for about 2 hours and I get rock solid 30 Mbps download speeds on speedtest (no fluctuations observed with this speed). In case any tech support are reading this, I am using the latest firmware as of today: V1.0.2.120_1.0.17. This was true of the previous firmware version as well. Also, this is only testing the 2.4 GHz wireless N speeds. I don't have access to a wireless AC adapter to confirm if the problem persists on it.

If this problem isn't resolved soon I may have to take Amazon up on the return offer and try the Asus AC68U.

UPDATE: 01/30/14

Recently moved to a new place and during the move one of the antenna's loosened up. Basically it couldn't hold its position and would just fall over when attached to the router. I used it successfully for about a month with typical flaky network speeds as I received at my old place. After talking with customer support for awhile we decided on an RMA. I was expecting a refurbished router in the mail, but was surprised to receive a completely new router. I have been using this router for about 2 weeks now and all the previous problems involving the wireless speed from my previous review are completely gone.

I am consistently getting 30 Mbps download speeds on speedtest using the default options on the router (not playing games with channels or 300/600 Mbps options). This great bandwidth has also persisted for over a week now since the last reboot. I must have received a buggy router before, because the difference between this router and the one I sent back is night and day. I am increasing my review for this router to 4 stars from the previous 2 stars due to this performance increase.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2013 12:17 PM PST

Kingston Digital 4 GB USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Datatraveler Flash Drive DT101G2/4GBZ (Cyan Blue)
Offered by PowerDigital247
Price: $13.88
7 used & new from $0.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Sectors / Bad Product, March 12, 2011
I recently got 2 of these flash drives to install operating system iso's on them, to make installing operating systems on other computers quick and easy. The first flash drive I used happily for basic file saving before I copied over the image of the operating system. Once I copied over the operating system and installed the operating system from the flash drive onto a different pc, I got error messages late into the install. So I ran the utility ChkFlsh on it and found some bad sectors. This makes the flash drive useless since you can't fix bad sectors on a removable flash drive. This was bound to happen, since I have seen similar problems before on previous flash drives that were used heavily over time (although I hadn't used this particular flash drive heavily).

Shrugging it off as a fluke. I cracked open the case for the other new flash drive. Copied over the operating system image and installed it on a pc. Again, errors popped up late into the install. Scanned it for bad sectors, which again showed up quickly. Now I am dissatisfied with Kingston for sending 2 flash drives with bad sectors on them. This never showed up in my earlier model flash drives (Kingston DataTraveler I - 4 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive DTI/4GB).

This product is useful if you don't intend on filling the stick up completely with large important data files. Smaller files will most likely never hit the bad sectors. For now I recommend the earlier Kingston models which I have scanned time and time again and rarely find bad sectors.

Edit: Just wanted to mention one other con. The swivel is a con. It causes the flash drive to be too thick to stick into tight USB spaces. This is fine if you have a USB port all by itself, but if you have multiple USB ports side-by-side, then it will block (or make an uncomfortably tight squeeze for) the neighboring USB device.
Comment Comments (13) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2014 8:53 AM PST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Giving All the Details, May 10, 2007
Let me begin with what you receive. You receive a usb cable that does connect with the SCP-3100 phone and the computer. You also receive a small cd with applications and drivers. I bought this cable to transfer data from my SCP-3100 phone to the computer, such as pictures. But you will quickly discover that none of the drivers work for the SCP-3100 and it doesn't even list the SCP-3100 as an option in the drivers. I will list the pros and cons...

1. Actually charges the phone, but slowly.

1. Installation cd is a joke. There is no automatic installation, you basically have to find the files you need and unzip them.
2. Driver for SCP-3100 is not included and does not exist.
3. Software on cd only includes a free application called BitPim that Gomadic assumes will work with your phone, if it doesn't work then you are required to pay for other commercial applications. If those don't work, then you are out of luck.
4. Support for cable is lacking. They take a day to respond which isn't too bad, but their answers are very vague and sometimes completely off topic.

After multiple messages back and forth, the blamed my problem on Sprint. So, if you don't have Sprint and would like to take your chances then go ahead. Hopefully someone else gets it to work on a different carrier, otherwise I wouldn't suggest wasting your money on this cable.

A Chemist's Guide to Density Functional Theory, 2nd Edition
A Chemist's Guide to Density Functional Theory, 2nd Edition
by Wolfram Koch
Price: $113.28
47 used & new from $72.50

5.0 out of 5 stars DFT for Physicists Also!, August 1, 2006
From a physicist's point of view this book is very clear at explaining Density Functional Theory (DFT). The authors use many chemical examples, but still can be applied to physics. Many physics books on DFT assume the reader knows most of the material so skips many important details that can leave the reader confused. Surprisingly, these chemists spend entire chapters on just about every piece of DFT. They even give many examples, using the Hydrogen molecule as an example quite a few times.

This book is fairly recent, published in 2001. It talks about many DFT codes used today and important functionals such as B3LYP. The book is a little relaxed on the math, so if you are wanting to see some of the detailed math I suggest "Density-Functional Theory of Atoms and Molecules" by Parr & Yang as a good companion book.

Pioneer DV-434 DVD Player
Pioneer DV-434 DVD Player
4 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good choice..., April 12, 2001
I've had this DVD player for only 2 months, so it is fairly new. One minute the DVD is playing good the next it is muted. It does this off and on with every DVD I have. The company is unwilling to help. You shouldn't waste your time with this product.

Schaum's Outline of Tensor Calculus (Schaum's)
Schaum's Outline of Tensor Calculus (Schaum's)
by David C. Kay
59 used & new from $2.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, October 20, 2000
Before I had this book I knew nothing about tensors. Other books were old and useless. This book was very easy to understand and explained everything I needed to know. Now I work with tensors in General Relativity all the time!