Profile for S. Marshall > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Marshall RSS Feed

Cardinal by TOPS Products XtraValue Slant-D Ring Binder, 3 Inch Capacity, Black (XV632)
Price: $13.99
5 used & new from $13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, conveniently designed, March 2, 2012
I was a little surprised at how high-capacity this is. I'm using it to store about 200 DVDs and it's still only about half full. The binder appears to be well constructed and I don't see any ripples that can sometimes be present in lower quality binders.

D&Y New York Plaid Duckbill Ivy Scally Cap 6 Panel Driver Hat
D&Y New York Plaid Duckbill Ivy Scally Cap 6 Panel Driver Hat

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, March 2, 2012
I'm not really sure if this a new trend or if I'm just noticing more people wearing duckbill/driving caps. This is a more modern looking driving cap and is made with soft, thin material. I have a slightly larger than normal head so the M/L is snug but not excessively tight, this is probably because the material is moderately stretchy. I bought the black/white plaid and it's lighter in color than I expected from the image.

WBM Himalayan Light #1002 Natural Air Purifying Himalayan Salt Lamp with Neem Wood Base, Bulb and Dimmer switch
Price: $20.00
24 used & new from $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks cool!, March 2, 2012
I'm not completely sure on the health benefits of Crystal Salt Lamps, though I won't discredit the idea that they may have a positive impact, I haven't had any allergies in the past year that I've owned mine and I typically get allergies a couple times a year. I really like the way they look and the warm glow reminds me of a campfire.

I'd like to find a bulb with lower wattage so it's not as bright at night but I can't really blame that on the rock itself, just the bulb. I've also read that other users have had issues with the rock getting damp and residue collecting on the furniture underneath. I just placed a small towel underneath it to protect the furniture.

Duro-Med Ortho Bed Wedge with Blue Polyester/Cotton Cover, 8 x 20 x 24
Duro-Med Ortho Bed Wedge with Blue Polyester/Cotton Cover, 8 x 20 x 24
Price: $28.03
23 used & new from $20.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but somewhat short and too firm, March 2, 2012
I used this for a few months after I broke my right ankle. I put a thin memory foam pillow over the top to make it softer as well as to support my longer than average leg. I think they could put a memory foam/gel layer over the top to make it softer.

Other than those two small issues this does a great job of stably elevating the foot to reduce inflammation. This is much better than stacking pillows and it keeps the knee bent at an angle instead of hyper-extended.

15 Watt T8 / Candelabra Base / Clear
15 Watt T8 / Candelabra Base / Clear
Offered by saturn products
Price: $6.10
2 used & new from $3.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent Lifespan, March 2, 2012
I use these in a Himalayan Rock Crystal Salt Lamp as a cool (well, actually warm) looking night light. The last bulb I left running nearly continuously for about two and a half months. It's longer and slightly brighter than the original bulb that was in the lamp, but it still fits and works well.

Candy Cigarettes 24ct.
Candy Cigarettes 24ct.
Offered by Ye Ole Deal Shoppe
Price: $7.48
25 used & new from $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same, March 2, 2012
This review is from: Candy Cigarettes 24ct. (Grocery)
I was disappointed when I tried these. I was expecting a wintergreen flavor with a texture similar to the dipping sticks included in Fun-Dip, at least that's how I remember them tasting fifteen years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the company that originally manufactured the original either went out of business or discontinued them as these were probably very controversial.

This item tastes more chewy and chaulky and there's not much flavor other than sugar with a waxy coating. I can't help but compare these to antacids. They are also thinner and bent and look more like a hand-rolled cigarette than one that is mass-produced.

I would like to add that even though I consumed candy cigarettes as a kid, I do not smoke as an adult. My parents and school always reminded me of the negative effects of smoking so I honestly never had an interest, but I do ironically enjoy candy cigarettes, but sadly these aren't what I remember.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack [Download]
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack [Download]
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The best theme park simulator, even with its flaws., March 2, 2012
I've played Rollercoaster Tycoon for at least 10 years and RCT2 is easily the best edition of the series, though both the RCT1 and RCT3 are great games. RCT is by far the most thoroughly executed theme park simulator, which easily explains its success. I can't think of any other simulator that successfully integrates the business aspects of marketing, management, and finance with the creativity of making original works of art. I think I've always had a love for rollercoasters, but I don't think I would be such an enthusiast without this series.

RCT2 was the first to heavily emphasize the use of scenery, thematic elements and more realistic rollercoaster designs (block braking, wider selection of rollercoaster types, more realistic track curvatures (though not entirely perfect), etc.).

With all the praise I have for this series, I have always been bothered with some technical aspects of the game design, some of which might just require small revisions in coding, others may require a complete redesign of that part of the game.

Some areas where RCT2 lacks, which I'm sad to say RCT3 never really improved, include tedious path, building, and scenery design and construction, weird ratios of money that guests spend to the actual costs of construction and operation, as well as rollercoaster track shapes and supports that seem to defy the laws of physics.

First, If you want to make a realistic looking park, you'll spend hours upon hours clicking over and over again to place scenery items where it would be more convenient to have a batch selection option. This is probably the easiest fix for what has caused me some of the most frustration with the game.

I understand that this is a game and it doesn't have to be entirely realistic, but I do feel that the financial element could have been a little more well thought-out. In real life a rollercoaster will cost millions (between $10-25 million, typically) but in RCT they typically cost from $5,000 to $20,000. This is partly because the game is playing in real-time so the money spent by guests accrues slowly, but I think it may be better to multiply the money spent by each guest by a factor that would make the money accumulate in a more realistic manner. This is a reasonable proposition as days in the game typically only last for a few seconds.

My final observation that has bothered me and I'm sure the millions of others that have played this game, is the unrealistic track design (though it is a slight improvement from the original). I was disappointed when RCT2 didn't apply track designs that more accurately matched the physics of rollercoasters in the real world. For example, if you build a "Giga Coaster" over 300 feet it looks kind of ridiculous because you have at least 250 feet of straight track and then 30 feet of actual curvature, when rollercosters in real life typically don't have long stretches of track that are just straight, in fact most rollercoasters have curvature in almost every section of track.

The main reason I list these criticisms for RCT2 is because they were never truly resolved by RCT3 and my hope is that future development for the next generation will consider making more realistic game play. Perhaps some of my criticisms will be ironed out with more powerful computers and designing tools.

Overall, aside from a few constructive criticisms, the nostalgia and excitement of creating an awesome theme park with the most realistic simulations available, which was further improved by the three-dimensional depth of RCT3, is why I still can't help but consider this the most well designed rollercoaster/theme park video game.

Mylo Xyloto
Mylo Xyloto
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars This Will Grow on You, November 17, 2011
This review is from: Mylo Xyloto (MP3 Music)
I admit I wasn't entirely sure of what to expect of this new album, but now that I've listened to most of the songs a couple times over my opinion is slowly changing from my first listen. I wasn't immediately blown away my first listen like I was with say 'X&Y' and 'Viva La Vida,' which are incredible albums, but it has certainly started to grow on me. There's a few songs that I'll skip as I listen through but overall there's some really great songs in this album.

The album begins with the title 'Mylo Xyloto,' which is an instrumental introduction, somewhat similar to the instrumental intro to 'Viva La Vida,' 'Life in Technicolor,' but you can already tell that this album is going to be much more experimental and atmospheric just off of this alone.

The next track is quite possibly my favorite, 'Hurts Like Heaven' which picks up where 'Mylo Xyloto' left off in a very upbeat, positive tune with all kinds of crazy chiming and distortion effects that we've never heard from Coldplay, but I like it.

Most likely if you're reading this review, then you've heard the next track 'Paradise' which is an incredible single that's a bit more reminiscent of Coldplay's last album but with a bit more distortion and liveliness. This song is probably a bit more poppish than the rest of the album.

'Charlie Brown' is one of the songs that took some time to grow on me. The eerie chanting at the beginning was a little bit unusual when I first heard the song but the more I listen to it the more I feel that it fits into the album. Chris Martin's vocals for some reason oddly remind me a bit of Brandon Flowers from The Killers in this song as does the tempo. Regardless, it's a great song, the instrumentals slightly remind me of 'Lovers in Japan.'

'Us Against the World' hasn't totally grown on me yet, but I feel that if I listen to it the right time on the right day I'll develop a fondness to it. It's a bit slower than the previous four songs, but it's a nice slow break that leads into another excellent song.

'M.M.I.X.' and 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall' basically fit into one song as 'M.M.I.X' is basically an instrumental interlude. You should probably have already developed an opinion on 'Every Teardrop is a Waterfall' and if you think the rest of the album is going to be like this album then you would be wrong, not that that's good or bad, I love this song and I love this album. I think the only reason you would not like this song is if you're one of those people who feels like displaying emotions is emasculating. I can't help but feel inspired this song, it makes me want to get up and run.

So now it gets a little darker with 'Major Minus' which has been available for listening for a couple of months on their YouTube page. It's a bit of a conspiracy theorist's anthem, but I enjoy listening to it from time to time. I have to say Coldplay really brought out their effects and distortion on this one, but I feel they purposefully did it to get their message across.

Some people have said 'U.F.O' is most like the old, slower Coldplay, and they also feel the song should have been longer, which I would have to agree. It's nice to hear that they haven't entirely broken from their past, though I'm happy they haven't remained complacent in one sound like so many bands do.

This next song was a complete surprise, I had no idea Rihanna was in this album. I'm not a huge fan of Rihanna, but I do believe she's very talented, and this performance was very good. When I first heard this song I wasn't totally engaged, but it's another song that's grown on me, it's very catchy and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a single.

'Up in Flames' while being reminiscent of the very old Coldplay isn't really for me, it's just a little too slow and repetitious for me to appreciate. This is one of the songs I would probably skip.

Luckily 'A Hopeful Transmission + Don't Let It Break Your Heart' picks us back up and this is one of those songs that I pretty much fell in love with from first listen. This is probably as good as 'Hurts Like Heaven' and it has a very similar style to that song, but it still holds its own uniqueness.

'Up With the Birds' is a very nice close to the album, though I have to admit they have had better closes ('Til Kingdom Come' and 'Death and All His Friends,' which is by far my favorite closing song from Coldplay).

Overall, I think this is a great new direction for Coldplay, even if they end up going back to their older style, but I don't think that's going to happen, each album they've released has become progressively more and more experimental. I love their old music but if they kept making the same sounding music we might just lose interest. I'm a little surprised at the low rating so far on Amazon, but I'm sure that after a few months that rating will slowly rise as we learn to love this new album.

New Again
New Again
81 used & new from $0.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Ready to be New Again, July 2, 2009
This review is from: New Again (Audio CD)
If you're expecting this album to be anything like the old Taking Back Sunday then I can tell you that this album probably won't make you very happy. If you're willing to keep an open mind and listen to the new album as a new, redefined version of TBS then you'll probably actually really like this.

The album can be listened all the way through without skipping any songs and I would identify 'New Again', 'Sink Into Me', and 'Where My Mouth Is' as the highlights of the album. 'Everything Must Go', which is the last song on the album stays most true to the traditional style of TBS where songs like 'Summer, Man' and 'Where My Mouth Is' represent a complete, but welcome departure from what would be expected from TBS.

Here's a breakdown of the songs/ratings:
1. New Again - 5/5
8. Catholic Knees - 3/5
9. Capital M-E - 3.5/5
10. Carpathia - 3.5/5
11. Everything Must Go - 4.5/5
Overall - 4/5

Again, if you keep an open mind instead of expecting a continuation of the dual-lyric older TBS you'll probably enjoy this album.