Profile for James J. Murphy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James J. Murphy RSS Feed (Arlington Heights, IL)

21: Bringing Down the House - Movie Tie-In: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
by Ben Mezrich
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
246 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense, Intriguing, and Fun for Everyone, April 22, 2010
After reading the book, Bringing Down the House, I was excited and intrigued with the world of card counting and the lives of the card counters. I plan to read more books about the subject. From the book, I got the feeling that Mezrich's goal throughout the book was to captivate and teach people about the world of casinos and card counting. He met one of the characters at a party and was fascinated enough to put the story into a book to enthrall everyone who reads it. I can guarantee to any readers of the book, that they will feel mesmerized by the casino life and more educated about the subject. This book will be a quick read that the reader will not be able to put down. It will interest a wide variety of people, from those who love to gamble and go to casinos all the time to those who have never stepped foot in one in their life. I know this from reading the reviews of the people before me. Many of them said that they gambled before, but a surprisingly large number of them said that they had never gambled in their lives.

In response to a few of the negative reviews, I read through many of them and have a few major disagreements to point out. First, J. Danielson, you talked about how you went to MIT and that Mezrich got a few of the details wrong about the school. To tell you the truth, when people read this book they won't remember the little details of graduating with honors or not, they'll remember the intense casino scenes. This brings me to the next topic of yours that I disagreed with. You talked about how you have been banned from a casino before and that they don't rough you up the way Mezrich made it seem like in his book. Well, there are more than a few casinos and what actions they take when kicking someone out will probably vary between them. Now, to Critical Reader, you say that you did research on Wikipedia after reading the book and found that some of the facts that Mezrich talked about were false. If you want to accuse someone of using false facts, you might want to try a reliable source next time. Finally, to the "crimsonwildcat," in your review, you accuse Mezrich of having what comes off as false conversations with the people in the book. If you haven't met any of these people, then I don't think you can really tell if it was false or not. However, I must agree with the negative reviews when you say that some parts of the book got repetitive. That was definitely a weakness, but Mezrich had many more high points, like expressing the tension between characters and showing the excitement of Las Vegas and a card counter's life.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2010 12:37 PM PDT

The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
by Alice Sebold
9 used & new from $1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Bones, February 17, 2010
As a high school student, I found Love Bones to be really interesting and unique. I'm not usually a fan of fiction books, but because our assignment was that we had to read one and a friend recommended this book, I decided to try it. I'm really glad that I did, because it is now one of my favorite books. This book is really relatable to high school students, because they talk about her classmates reactions after she was murdered. This is what really got me into the book. What made me relate the most is that the book found because Susie had dropped it while she was being raped was the same book that we had just finished reading in class. This is what really hit me; I started to relate to all the characters, including Susie and her family, because this made it seem like it could've happened to my friends, sisters, or even me.
The only part I didn't like was the scene where her rape was being described. I thought that Alice Sebold used a little too much detail, because I pictured it a little too clearly and it was hard to take. Other than that, Lovely Bones has a perfect mix of action, emotion, and even a little romance. If you saw the movie for this book, I would definitely say that didn't portray the book nearly as well as it could have. I gave the book five stars and I would give the movie two. If you think that you won't like this book because the movie made it cheesy and you know what's going to happen, I would give the book a chance, because the book will surprise you. It's incredibly good. So, give the book a chance and you won't regret it.
Sincerely,