Profile for That Westside Guy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

That Westside Guy RSS Feed (Washington state)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Ball Wide-Mouth Plastic Storage Caps, 8-Count
Ball Wide-Mouth Plastic Storage Caps, 8-Count
Price: $6.20
37 used & new from $3.89

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a well-made lid, and it does the job you want it to do, August 26, 2014
These wide-mouth lids fit mason jars and seem well made - what more is there to say? It's a better alternative than reusing the canning lids after you've opened your jars of homemade jam or applesauce. We like to make mayonnaise right in a wide-mouth pint jar (using an immersion blender), and then cap it with this lid while it's in the fridge.

Miallegro 9090 Mitutto 550-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, Professional-style
Miallegro 9090 Mitutto 550-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, Professional-style

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite new kitchen toy... er, serious tool, August 26, 2014
This is a wonderful gadget. It has many uses, but one in particular stands out in my book - making mayonnaise is trivially easy with this immersion blender! No whisking required, no making sure your egg is at room temperature, no time-consuming drizzling of oil, drop by drop, as you try to get an emulsion going... just put everything in the container, start pulsing the Miallegro immersion blender, and 20-30 seconds later you'll have mayonnaise!

And, if you get some wide mouth pint mason jars and storage caps, you can make the mayonnaise right in the container you'll store it in (note that this blender will not fit in a regular mason jar opening - it has to be wide mouth). The design of the immersion blender is such that the moving parts are recessed and cannot come in contact with the container.

It's also well-made and easy to clean - we absolutely love it. You should buy it!

Melitta Cone Coffee Filters 40 Count #2 Natural Brown
Melitta Cone Coffee Filters 40 Count #2 Natural Brown
Offered by Mi Antojito Latino
Price: $4.90
13 used & new from $1.82

2.0 out of 5 stars Only 40 filters - so make sure it's what you intend to buy!, August 26, 2014
I always buy Melitta coffee filters. When it comes to filters, brand name does seem to matter - these make better coffee than the generic ones.

However this particular item is probably not what you want. This may be listed an "add-on item", which implies it's a good deal - but it is a bad price for only 40 filters. Get the box of 100 Melitta filters instead - it doesn't cost much more than this, and won't have the "add-on" restrictions.

Capri Sun Spouted Fruit Punch Ready to Drink 11.2 oz. - 15 ct.
Capri Sun Spouted Fruit Punch Ready to Drink 11.2 oz. - 15 ct.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to the smaller pouches that are normally available, March 9, 2014
These containers are roughly twice the size of the normal "pierce with a straw" Capri Sun juice packs. We purchased them for our daughter to carry in her bag. With the smaller packs, once they're open you have to drink it all or throw it away - it's not transportable. These, however, have a resealable spout that's really nice if you want to take it with you.

It is unfortunate there aren't more flavors available in this packaging.

Equate - Fiber Therapy, Original Texture, Unflavored, 29 oz (Compare to Metamucil)
Offered by N&C Storefront
Price: $21.99
2 used & new from $21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to the brand name, March 9, 2014
The Equate Fiber Therapy is a good, lower-cost alternative to the name brand fiber supplements. It is a little coarser than Metamucil, but I don't find that bothersome.

I like the fact I can buy this unflavored, so I can mix it with most any powdered drink mix I choose (e.g. Crystal Light, Propel Zero).

My only complaint is it's apparently not available in a "no sugar added" variety. Since I'm mixing this with a flavor packet, the sugar is just providing unwanted calories. This isn't a deal breaker, though.

Crumpler THE BUCKET Camera Organizer (Light Olive/Oatmeal)
Crumpler THE BUCKET Camera Organizer (Light Olive/Oatmeal)
Offered by Ace Photo
Price: $85.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this thing - pity they don't make it anymore., February 26, 2014
These old "The Bucket" camera inserts by Crumpler are designed to slide into the older style Dreadful Embarrassment bags. They are a snug fit, but they do fit - and you still can use the laptop slot for a slim device (such as a MacBook or a tablet).

I actually bought this some time after The Bucket was discontinued. I specifically wanted a nice padded camera "bag" I could slip into my Dreadful Embarrassment messenger bag. Knowing it was discontinued, and seeing there were a few on Amazon... I took a chance and bought it.

The Bucket also works quite well on its own for moving your gear around a particular location. It's well made (typical Crumpler) and is very protective of the gear you put in it. I can fit a Nikon D7100 with attached 16-85mm lens, along with two other lenses (in my case this would be a Nikkor 10-24 and a 70-300) or a lens and a flash (mine's a SB-600) plus accessories. I doubt a "pro" lens like the 24-70 or 70-200 would fit, though, unless you laid it on its side.

The use case for this case (he he) is fairly specific; but it works great when used for what it's designed for.

Incipio Stashback for iPhone 5 - Retail Packaging - Obsidian Black / Obsidian Black
Offered by Botach Tactical
Price: Click here to see our price
29 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this case!, July 16, 2013
Executive summary: This is a great case, and I am very happy I bought it! It's incredibly handy to just grab my phone and know I've got my essentials too.

Longer review:

Up until recently I preferred low-profile cases for my phone. Recently my daughter started using a wallet-style case, though, and I realized that having a case which can carry a couple items (especially my drivers license) would offer significant convenience - but I didn't want to open a cover every time I needed to use my phone. So, after doing some reading, I decided on this Incipio Stashback case (the other serious contenders were the Incipio Stowaway and the Speck SmartFlex).

I've had it for a few weeks now; and it's been everything I'd hoped for! It has just enough room to hold my drivers license, debit card, and (RFID) transit pass, along with an "emergency twenty". If I didn't want to include the cash, I might be able to squeeze another credit card in there, but it'd be fairly tight - the available space is just about perfect for what I've got in there currently. And, as an added bonus, as long as my transit pass is the one on top (away from the phone, in other words), I haven't had to remove the pass from the case when scanning it to get on a train or a bus.

If you read online reviews of these card-style cases, you might get the impression they are really thick. While it's true the case is significantly thicker than an unprotected iPhone, it doesn't really "look" thick - nothing like, say, an Otterbox case!

The shiny surface does get scratched somewhat easily, but it isn't particularly obvious unless you are specifically looking for the scratches. If you're OCD about having your phone be absolutely perfect, though, this might not be the case for you.

Other reviews have noted that, with this case, the bottom of the iPhone is less protected than the other sides. This is a necessary consequence of having a hinged back that can fold up. The bottom of the phone is still somewhat protected, though, and is recessed. While I can see that it'd be possible to damage the bottom edge if you dropped the phone in exactly the wrong manner, it's not something I'm losing sleep over.

C2G / Cables to Go - 38014 - 16 Piece Jeweler Screwdriver Set
C2G / Cables to Go - 38014 - 16 Piece Jeweler Screwdriver Set
Price: $17.99
39 used & new from $12.14

2.0 out of 5 stars Soft metal is not a good choice for a screwdriver, September 18, 2012
Given the price, I probably shouldn't be surprised - but these things don't hold up worth a darn. If you're trying to move a very small screw that's being stubborn, be careful - it's easy to damage the tips of these drivers.

If you want a cheap set to just have around, just in case, these probably are a decent purchase. But don't expect them to last.

Melitta Cone Coffee Filters, Natural Brown, No. 2, 100-Count Filters (Pack of 6)
Price: $23.94
10 used & new from $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Brand name seems to matter on occasion, September 18, 2012
Over the years, I've used both Melitta coffee filters and generic filters. I'm not usually a "brand name" guy; but I am convinced the Melitta filters provide a better tasting cup of coffee. Plus now I can buy them in bulk from Amazon, which saves a fair bit of money, and have them shipped straight to my office - works for me!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Was good, while it worked..., September 18, 2012
I purchased this from Amazon in July 2012. It worked well with my Mac... for a bit over a year. It's not as if the drive got over worked - I bet I used it maybe two dozen times during that year. But, after that time period, it just decided to stop working. The lights still come on, and it'll mount the disc; but if you use any program to try reading that disc (and I'm talking about commercial discs - e.g. playing a purchased Blu-Ray or DVD) it reports the disc has errors.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and apparently I didn't pay enough to get a USB Blu-Ray player that could handle light use for slightly more than the warranty period. I recommend you look elsewhere for this sort of product, and don't purchase this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3