Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for S. Deligan > Reviews

Browse

S. Deligan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Deligan RSS Feed (Poulsbo, WA United States)

The Cold War: A History in Documents and Eyewitness Accounts
The Cold War: A History in Documents and Eyewitness Accounts
by Jussi M. Hanhimäki
Price: $50.28
89 used & new from $9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars No mention of NSC-68?!, October 9, 2013
I teach an entire course on the Cold War and have found "The Cold War: A History in Documents and Eyewitness Accounts" to be a valuable reference. It is filled with great insights, useful readings that give counter-points to various sides, and perspectives that would be difficult to piece together if you had to look for them yourself.

However there is one glaring omission; there is nothing about NSC-68. I could be wrong and may have missed it so far, but there is nothing in the index nor in any of the readings I've done. I can't find it mentioned elsewhere. The introduction doesn't speak of it. There is no explanation from them of why they may have left it out intentionally. It's just not mentioned. If they feel that it does not have enough importance to be included, then perhaps they could at least mention that in the introduction or elsewhere. However they seem to include much less significant material. They also use plenty of secret materials that the public wasn't aware of during that time, so that isn't an excuse for not including it.

It would be a good comparison to the "Long Telegram" that the students read.

I'm baffled as to why such a comprehensive book would leave out such a document. Even if they feel it had no significance in determining direction by the leadership in D.C. (which I disagree with), then they could at least acknowledge the public reaction to in when it was declassified. Interesting omission.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2014 8:41 AM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informational graphical representation of the US budget!, October 20, 2011
I teach US Government. Teaching about the budget is a tough sell because the amounts are often tough to find, and vary between sources. This poster is able to not only give accurate figures, but also shows those figures in a graphical form that people can relate to. I have the poster from a few years ago and buying the updated one right now. My only wish is that it would be offered in an electronic format so that I could somehow share more easily with a class. Also, Jess, if you're reading this, it would be GREAT to have you develop an online budget simulation for use with classes (that is updated each year). There used to be one online but it hasn't been updated. I feel with your graphical abilities and your grasp of the budget you could create an amazing online budget simulation that I could have my students use. Think about it! :-)

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP AF/MF 1:1 Macro Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP AF/MF 1:1 Macro Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $499.00
30 used & new from $260.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful lens with a few exceptions, October 6, 2011
Quick, to-the-point review:

1. The lens takes AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL images! Mounted on my Nikon D700 I've taken some of my favorite images with this lens. The bokeh is WORLD-CLASS! I've not personally compared it to the Nikon 105mm but I hear the Tamron is better. Beautiful, rich, creamy bokeh. Gorgeous.

So... why only 4 stars?

1. I had to return the original lens. It did not work most of the time with my Nikon. It wouldn't work with it for some reason and caused errors, the camera would freeze. Sent it back and got a new one. It works almost 98% of the time but I still occasionally get either a body error or a focus error and the camera freezes. This is the single biggest gripe about the lens. I only need to turn it off and back on again and it usually works for another several shots, but I'm frustrated by it. Two lenses which both cause errors??? Gotta be a lens issue. None of my other lenses cause this to happen (I have Nikkor and Sigma lenses as well).

2. The focus hunts like crazy.

3. Autofocus is a bit loud and very slow.

However, given the image quality I am very happy with this lens and am keeping it for the long run. If you factor in the price it is simply one of the best values out there! Get it!

B&W 77mm #110 3.0 (1000x) Neutral Density Glass Filter
B&W 77mm #110 3.0 (1000x) Neutral Density Glass Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing filter but not for the casual user, February 22, 2011
B+W makes a great product. The quality is top-notch. If you're serious about doing long exposure work then this is required kit for you! However, just a few warnings:

1. This is a VERY dark filter. You must adjust your camera completely before mounting the filter. This can easily throw off your focus depending on the lens you're using. I haven't yet found any way around this but if you know of one please let me know.

2. There is a color cast but it's generally more neutral than most other ND filters I've seen. Unlike plastic filters in holders which are clearly purple, this filter is more warm with much less color cast. You can't escape color casting with exposures this long and this one is easily correctly in seconds in Photoshop.

3. Treat it gently! I've kept mine in a cloth case and am very gentle and caring to my equipment, but nonetheless have still seen a few scratches. The surface is easily scratched.

I know that these comments may scare off some people, but if you can deal with them then you will really enjoy the creativity you can find with this filter. 5 stars!

Night Photography: Finding your way in the dark
Night Photography: Finding your way in the dark
by Lance Keimig
39 used & new from $6.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for several levels, December 14, 2010
I've enjoyed reading this book and have learned a great deal from it. As an avid amateur photographer I am always happy to learn a new genre in the art.

Pros: He does not waste our time, like 99% of all other photography books out there, by spending half or more of the book reviewing which camera to buy, or what ISO is, or how to use the camera, etc. He assumes that if you're buying this book you already know something about photography. I wish other authors were brave enough to do that. There are several good introductory books out there, but not ALL books need to do that. Secondly, he gives many good resources and websites to look at. He shows work from other photographers. He sets out many of the principles of night photography.

Cons: One reviewer claimed that he read the book but thought it was too technical and that he still didn't know what to set his ISO at. That reviewer needs to actually read the book. In several places the author talks about native ISO and that we should use it. Read page 209. However, the reviewers point is well taken. The author could organize the book better, and include some basic charts for various nighttime set ups. This is the only reason I gave it four stars.

I recommend this book and think that an avid photographer will learn a great deal!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2010 2:52 PM PST

Nikon D80 DSLR Camera (Body only) (OLD MODEL)
Nikon D80 DSLR Camera (Body only) (OLD MODEL)
Offered by RTE Enterprises
Price: $1,199.95
35 used & new from $129.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing enthusiast level camera, January 9, 2009
I've shot the D80 for over 9,000 exposures and I have grown to appreciate this as a wonderful enthusiast level camera.

It's a 10+ mp camera with 2.5 inch screen. The controls are easy to reach and adjust.

Given what the camera was advertised as, I am more than satisfied. Please understand that this is a DX format camera with a conversion factor of 1.5. It is NOT a full frame FX camera. I have shot in all sorts of conditions with several lenses and have had no issues at all with the camera.

It has now been discontinued and replaced by the D90, but unless you want video try to get a D80. It's perfect for anyone who wants a DX format camera.

My only regret is not simply going to FX (Full Frame) right from the start, but that was a decision I made and is not a relection on the camera.

If I was in the market for a DX size camera I would certainly buy it again and I have no intention of buying another DX formatted sensor, so I will hang onto the D80 until I purchase an FX camera. Get one... you'll love it.

Gerber MP800 Legend Multi-Plier with Berry-Compliant Sheath [08239]
Gerber MP800 Legend Multi-Plier with Berry-Compliant Sheath [08239]
Offered by Smart Gift Idea
Price: $80.15
79 used & new from $76.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing multi-tool!, August 14, 2008
I've had this tool for at least seven years (soon after it came out I think) and have loved it. We run a small horse farm and I tend to use multi-tools until they either break or I get too frustrated with them.

I went through several Leatherman tools and none of them were up to the task. Finally I splurged on the Gerber MP800 and haven't looked back since.

It's tough, it's got everything I need, and it's a nice size... not small and flimzy like other tools.

Great customer service... I broke one of the plier stops and sent the knife in. They sent a whole new one back even though I had used that tool almost daily for two years. Wonderful.

AutoCAD 2004 For Dummies
AutoCAD 2004 For Dummies
by Mark Middlebrook
Price: $25.58
83 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars The "For Dummies" editors need to learn how to write!!!, April 18, 2006
In my pursuit to learn AutoCAD as quickly as I can, I have purchased the three main tutorial books for AutoCAD 2004.

While AutoCAD 2004 for Dummies by Mark Middlebrook is the most basic of the three (Duh... it's for dummies) it still covers much of the important material in a manner that a complete newbie could probably understand a specific instruction or chapter.

The way Mr. Middlebrook approaches AutoCAD though is pretty tough to comprehend. That is, he spends the entire book discussing various commands and how to approach a drawing, but never walks you through a project.

I found David Frey's book AutoCAD 2004 and AutoCAD LT 2004 a much better instructional book and while only slightly more techie he manages to walk you through a project that lets you truly understand what he's trying to teach you.

My biggest gripe with AutoCAD 2004 for Dummies is the incredible amount of typos! Gawd! I am a high school teacher and this guy would fail an essay that I assign at the high school level. What in the world is he doing writing a book if he can't spell or proofread? Either he or his editor should go back to English class. I see that Mr. Middlebrook himself has weighed in on this. Just so he knows, I'm looking at the fourth printing (I think... The information page says 10 9 8 7 6 5 4. Does that mean it's on the third or fourth printing? I'm not a librarian!) I only mention this because he says he's only found 5 mistakes. I've found at least a dozen pretty obvious ones, and a many, many minor ones.

The single most grievous mistake is on pages 100 and 101, Chapter 5, table 5-1. It is supposed to be a table of various tools you can use to draw objects. Other than the first one, each icon is incorrectly matched with a description! For example, he shows the "copy" tool icon, but then calls it a SPLine and gives the description for a SPLine. I count eight errors in that table alone. If you are truly a newbie to AutoCAD then you might never get it sorted out. This mistake alone merits not purchasing the book or asking of your money back because it's an example of how a "typo" can be critically damaging. No, I am not an English teacher, nor am I overly zealotous toward proofreading. However, I do have only a certain tolerance for typos and when they interfere with my learning the subject, then its time to move on to another resource.

While I have learned things from this book, it is clearly the least useful of the three I have bought. The two Sybex books by Frey and Omura have much more thought and effort put into them and are extremely comprehensive. I'd pick the Frey book first though.

I do not doubt for a second Mr. Middlebrook's knowledge or experience with AutoCAD. He clearly knows his stuff. I just wish he, and his editor, would learn to proofread. That, or hire me to proofread for you! I'm as literate as your editor, computer savvy, and experienced. Look me up.

The Dummies series could really learn from the mistakes made here. I'm done with the Dummies series. There are much better resources out there, at least on the topics that I'm interested in. They've lost my purchases. Good luck though!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Early returns are good!, October 20, 2001
Well, I'm finally updating my review after five years. Overall, a very good planer, though I'm not sure it's still made. The depth of cut gauge is a gimick, but otherwise it's held up wonderfully. See my original review below:
...Have only had the planer for a few days. So far so good. It's much quieter than I had expected and the feed rate is smooth. Came packed quite well with no damage and very little set-up. You attach the handle and adjust the levelness of the tables. The tables are very large compared to the Delta and include a great roller on the ends. Easy to level. I was a little concerned with the finish... as in the the paint job. There are places on it where the paint was slopped on. You can tell the guy with the spray gun stayed in one place too long. There are also some areas on the bottom where the paint is already chipped. Jet seems to think that's ok and actually includes a small can of paint with the planer. That's good because I can also touch up my bandsaw with it. The motor seems to be quite stout and the adjustment handle works well. I haven't used the head lock mechanism yet and probably won't. The four columns seem to work well. There are springs below the head cutter and they creak and shift when you move the head. Not a big deal but can be a bit disconcerting. The thickness gauge was right on and I didn't have to adjust it. Still not sure how accurate the depth of cut gauge is though. Looks a bit gimmicky so far. Overall a great planer and I'm very excited to use it more. I'm saving a fifth star for a year from now when I have a better idea of its durability.

DEWALT DW705S 12-Inch Heavy-Duty Compound Miter saw
DEWALT DW705S 12-Inch Heavy-Duty Compound Miter saw

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chop box!, December 28, 2000
I purchased this saw a few years ago, for a LOT more money (it's come down in price everywhere I see it). It's a wonderful saw; rugged, accurate, and the horizontal handle is easier to use than the pistol handles on other models. My use has mostly been for relatively rough cutting; decks, railings, etc... but I've also done some fine trim work with it. The miter seems to be very accurate and I have no complaints. Well worth the money!