Profile for H. Wang > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. Wang RSS Feed (Boston, MA USA)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars "The full Santorum", February 2, 2012
I haven't worn a sweater vest since junior high, but this is exactly what I needed to complete my Rick Santorum look. It rawks. And for a reasonable price too!

Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse (Black)
Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse (Black)
Offered by Hayats
Price: $52.86
24 used & new from $22.98

3.0 out of 5 stars So close, yet so far, January 31, 2012
I really wanted to like this mouse. I've been using the MX Anywhere mouse for a while at work. However, I keep losing them (the dense ovoid shape makes them conducive to falling out of pockets!), so the fact that this mouse is just as portable, yet folds into a flat bar, and finally uses a logitech-type "nano" USB receiver, were all big pluses.

However, after using it for about a month, it's still so awkward / uncomfortable that I'll probably have to go back to the Logitechs. In particular:

* The biggest problem are the buttons. They are indeed almost weirdly hard to click. It's not that you have to press down hard. Rather, as other reviewers have pointed out, the button only goes down towards the top third of the button. So to use the mouse effectively you have to really cup the entire mouse. Just awkward. I'm not even talking about using it the entire day for hours at a time (which would be almost unbearable) - it'd get annoying to use during half and hour meetings.

* The fact that there's an empty section where your thumb would usually rest just enhances the awkwardness, as the balance is thrown off a bit. Couple that with the first point above and the mouse ends up moving around (against your wishes) after clicks.

* The touchpad is a neat concept, but it really is a bit less useable than the tried and true wheel. It's so flat and flush with the rest of the button, you sometimes miss it while trying to scroll. It's executed pretty well, but I don't see the practical purpose behind it.

* Pros - build quality is terrific. The snapping feature works wonderfully. It looks great, oozes quality. It is truly the most pocketable mouse out there. If only it were more comfortable to use...

ASUS Transformer Prime TF201-B1-CG 10.1-Inch 32GB Tablet (Champagne)
ASUS Transformer Prime TF201-B1-CG 10.1-Inch 32GB Tablet (Champagne)
15 used & new from $134.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop-replacement tablet, December 27, 2011
I've extensively used a lot of tablets, due to both longtime interest in mobile technology, and my line of work. To give you an idea of my frame of reference, I've either owned or used the following tablets: Ipad 2 (owned), HP Touchpad (owned - 2011 firesale!), Motorola Xoom / Galaxy Tab 10.1, LG G, original Asus Transformer (work). Heck, I've owned the following Windows Mobile / PocketPC devices from back in the day - HP Jornada, Toshiba e800. My phone is the iPhone 4.

With that said, this is one of the best tech gadget I've ever owned. The unanimous rave industry reviews (and very positive end user reviewers, even taking wifi issues etc. into account) aren't wrong.

* BUILD AND FORM FACTOR: evocative of but actually feels higher quality than the Ipad 2 and Macbook Air, which is a minor miracle at this price point. Beautifully machined aluminum, minimalist but not cold. The resolution of the screen is the best out of any current tablet, and can be crazily bright enough that it is useable outdoors in sunlight. It's definitely a fingerprint magnet though.

* COLOR - for those deciding between the gray or champagne, I received the champagne, and I actually called to confirm that I received the right one. It's much more silver than gold, it's basically silver aluminum with some gold highlights when the light catches it the right way. This is *exactly* what I wanted - it's reminiscent of the classic aluminum MacBook Pros, but with a touch of warmth from the gold. In short - it's not very gold at all.

* PROCESSOR - the Tegra 3 quad core processor is noticeably snappy, making the whole experience (even with Honeycomb) feel next gen. I've been getting great battery life, ~ 10-12 hours of normal mixed used, on balanced setting. With the dock, you're at 18+ hours. The NVIDIA fifth "stealth core" does its job seamlessly. It just works. For a quad core tablet with blazing power, this is again pretty mind-bending and next-gen. Is a quad core necessary? Strictly speaking, no. The Tegra 2 / OMAP / Snapdragon tablets do just fine, for the most part (although the un-overclocked Touchpad is noticeably slow), but every non ipad tablet lagged behind the iPad 2 in terms of real world performance (opening menus, browsing, launching apps). This isn't because Apple's processor is faster, but rather because if the sheer level of optimization between Apple hardware and software, which is industry-leading. With the Tegra 3 processor, though, this is the first non Apple tablet that both objectively is, and also noticeably feels, faster, more responsive, and more powerful than the iPad 2. It just brute forces past all of the Apple optimizations. For me, that is huge, especially if I'm going to be spending over $400 on something. Slowly but surely, more and more apps are optimizing for quad core (especially games), but even without that, I'd get a quad core for the general performance benefits alone, as it translates across every app.

* OS / SW - I really like the iOS UI for phones, it's simple yet powerful, but for a tablet it's always just felt incredibly limiting / frustrating / slightly condescending. I even prefer WebOS to it. Android Honeycomb is a nice balance between power, customization and being relatively easy to pick up, just perfect for the tablet form factor. My 2 year old toddler figured out how to use it in about 20 seconds (similar to WebOS and iOS). That being said, I'm looking forward to ICS, which should make things even more stable (HC still crashes occasionally)and uniform. The fact that the Prime gets an ICS in a month or two is fantastic. The pre-loaded Asus apps are relatively minimal and unobtrusive, and some actually are quite nice, such as the Asus cloud. Polaris Office is solid. The Android Market could be improved though, especially in terms of sorting and organization. Finding the right app can be a bit of a crapshoot.

CONS: Basically the same nits as others have pointed out.

* SPEAKER: the rear-facing speaker placement is a bit dumb, because it gets covered up relatively easily by your hands or when you set it down. However, you can still hear it even if it's completely covered, it's pretty loud, and it's located where the tablet tapers inwards so it doesn't get completely covered by a flat surface when setting it down. I don't mind the lack of a second speaker per se, as you hardly get stereo sound from any of the other tablets that have two speakers. I would say the sound quality of the Prime is on par with any other tablet, but it is just a bit easier to muffle. A jawbone jambox bluetooth speaker or the like works beautifully to supplement this tablet. It's certainly not needed, but it's a nice addition.

* CHARGER - the proprietary charger really annoys me. Until Asus comes out with more accessories, I'm basically stuck with using my one charging cord. Even charging via the dock requires the proprietary connector. It's not worth deducting a star for (at least for me), because it's more of an annoyance in light of how great the rest of the device is, but sheesh.

* PRODUCT LAUNCH - for a $21 billion company of 110,000+ employees, Asus still can't do a good product launch to save its life. This doesn't detract from the end product per se, but it's worth mentioning because so many pre-orders (on Amazon and elsewhere) were bungled or delayed. Asus is starting to consistently put out really great products, but in order to get to the "next level"(Sony, Apple etc.) in the eyes of the average consumer, they're going to really need to work on marketing and sales execution.

OVERALL: this thing is pretty ingenious, especially with the accessory dock / keyboard. Hopefully a harbinger of good things to come in the Android tablet space.

<<UPDATES AS OF 1/24/2012>>

These are discussed more in the comments, but I thought it would be useful to update the main review.

* ICS - I updated to ICS the first day it was out (good job Asus in pushing this out two days earlier), to absolutely no problems. It was like any other firmware update. The system notifies you that there's an update available, you tap yes, and voila. ~10 minutes later, ICS is installed. It's pretty seamless - no loss of applications or data. I haven't noticed wholesale differences, but everything is smoother, more streamlined, and sometimes faster. It's a definite plus. Asus has already provided multiple firmware updates (on top of ICS), which is a very good sign that this product is being actively supported.

* WiFi - it's been pretty definitively proven that an all-aluminum back-plate is not the best for enhancing WiFI signals. Asus attempted to make up for this via "antenna differentiation," a fancy way for saying that there are two antennas instead of one. In practice, mine has very good wifi reception up to about 25-30 feet from the router. Specific numbers: wifi analyzer average value of -50 to -60, and speedtest of up to 18mbps, exactly on par with my laptop. However, once you get really far away from the router (i.e. outside, or more than 75 feet from the router), the performance erodes at a higher rate than the comparison laptop (wifi analyzer -90). For my purposes, this is extremely useable, and I never noticed the supposedly weak wifi until I started doing actual tests out of curiosity. A lot of people have had luck with installing repeaters and / or more powerful routers, but I haven't needed to go that route. Asus has announced that they're making a new Transformer Prime variant, the 700T, due in a few months (supposedly). This one will have a different, non-metallic backplate, similar to the original Transformer (i.e. plastic). For me, I'm happy to sacrifice a slight amount of WiFi range for the distinctive spun-aluminum backplate; those who don't feel this way should perhaps wait for the 700T if they can.

* Dock - my champagne dock finally shipped yesterday, about a month after the actual tablet arrived. I can understand this somewhat if this device were sold out by the millions, but I don't think that that's the case (even though it looks like this tablet is, deservedly, a hit as far as Android tabs go). It's just an almost mind-bogglingly bad manufacturing / supply issue with Asus. It's like they make 10 at a time and call it a day. Hopefully it's just the first month hiccup - it looks like there are more docks (esp. the grey) among different retailers and that's a good sign. My original criticism stands though - Asus is insanely bad at product launches.

* Accessories - I ended up purchasing this MoKo(TM) Premium Quality Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case with built-in Multi-Angle Stand for Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1-Inch Android Tablet, and the Skinomi Techskin screen protector. The case is not as whiz-bang as some iPad cases - it's the same tired black pseudo leather, but it's cheap and it gets the job done in terms of functionality. The skin is ok but seems to, ironically, scratch easily. I've had better luck with Invisibleshield with past devices.

* Overall - I'm pleased to report that the tablet is still working great. After a month of use, I'd say what really sets it apart is the Tegra 3 quad core, which is an unadulterated good. I can't imagine using a tablet without one now. The form factor and build are great, but with the caveats noted above.
Comment Comments (65) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2013 12:51 PM PDT

Duracell Rechargeables StayCharged AA Batteries, 4-Count
Duracell Rechargeables StayCharged AA Batteries, 4-Count
Offered by shopemco
Price: $14.99
19 used & new from $9.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Still can get eneloops as of 4/2010, April 6, 2010
I purchased these a few days ago, and got the "made in Japan" white tops. I was expecting the Rayovac knock-offs so I was pleasantly surprised. They're either still out there, or Duracell is sourcing Sanyo again (hopefully!).

Mestemacher Fitness Bread, 17.6-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Mestemacher Fitness Bread, 17.6-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Price: $34.53
14 used & new from $27.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's for fitness, July 12, 2007
I am eating a slice of Mestemacher's "Fitness Bread" right now. It's got an interesting packed-together spongy texture due to its pasteurization process that is a bit unusual, but goes to explaining why it has a longer shelf life (even out of the bag) than most breads.

Pros: It's good for you, certainly. It's got a long shelf-life. The "12 pack" is perfect for bomb shelters. The bread is sliced lengthwise, which makes for a fun Euro touch (oh those crazy Germans!). The cover photo makes the product seem quite appetizing, too.

Cons: It tastes like foot.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2014 12:05 PM PST

Striking Range
Striking Range
DVD ~ Lou Diamond Phillips
Price: $9.96
81 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Ed Wood would be proud, March 7, 2007
This review is from: Striking Range (DVD)
I'm a fan of both action movies and Lou Diamond Phillips ever since his Stand & Deliver days. But Striking Range, even taking into account its straight to video pedigree, is pretty awful even by my low standards when it comes to movies like this.

For the first hour I kept thinking, "is this actually the real movie, or is this all some elaborate fake-out intro that looks like it was made for high school drama students?" Unfortunately, it was the real movie, even the first 15-minute intro "set piece" that I swore had to be a fake training exercise, it was so bad, but no - the Arab / Latino / dark skinned terrorists were actually "real". This feeling of delirious unreality is heightened by the fact that there are some pretty decent actors in this movie who previously have been in real movies or TV shows. And yet, either due to the bad script or their new status as C-grade straight to video actors, they exhibit the range and skill of high school students. It needs to be seen to be believed.

Which, in the end, is why Striking Range gets 2 stars instead of 1 (or zero). It's actually strangely entertaining, not because of any real "action," but because of how bad it is (the action never rises above the level of "bad video game cutscene," but at least the guns look nice). The limping, Frankenstein-esque "ninja" (I am not making this up) takes the cake.

In short, this is the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" of action movies. Congrats.

Lou Diamond - you need to call Edward Olmos and have him hook you up for a part in Battlestar Galactica. No more straight to video!

Brother HL-1440 Laser Printer
Brother HL-1440 Laser Printer
2 used & new from $179.90

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst printer I have ever owned, September 17, 2006
My old HP Laserjet 4L worked for about 15 years. In fact it is still working today (I have never needed to replace the drum on it, btw). My Brother 1440 lasted 8 months.

It was quite nice when it was working - fast with good quality text. But that nice quality text goes down quite a bit when your entire page is smudged and streaked. It was sometimes so bad you couldn't read the text and my printouts resembled a bad photocopy.

Like many others, I will never own a "Brother anything" again. In fact I recently traded in this piece of junk to HP as part of HP's 2006 fall laser printer trade-in program, and got $75 towards a nice HP laser. So I guess the Brother did come in useful after all...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2007 1:57 PM PDT