Profile for Hollan H. Holmes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hollan H. Holmes RSS Feed (Dallas, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
Replacement Power Supply/AC Adapter for Korg Products: microKORG, MS2000-R/B/BR & Pandora PX1/PX2/PX3/PX3B (Aftermarket) *91

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product But Check Cord Length Requirements First, May 23, 2015
I had originally given them three stars for not clearly indicating that the cord is less than three feet long (making it basically worthless for my application), but the information was indeed there and the mistake is mine and I own it. Make sure you don't need more than three feet of cord length and you'll be happy. The adapter works flawlessly, otherwise.

It's All Going to Pot
It's All Going to Pot
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, May 1, 2015
This review is from: It's All Going to Pot (MP3 Music)
A clever tune by two living legends.

Nebraska [HD]
Nebraska [HD]
DVD
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Dern is brilliant and Forte displays a level of talent I would ..., March 7, 2015
Dern is brilliant and Forte displays a level of talent I would never have guessed that he possessed. A solid performance from both. The black and white format is a nice touch and lends itself well to the story. Not a terribly exciting film, but it wasn't meant to be. Well worth watching, though.

Richard Pryor: Live & Smokin
Richard Pryor: Live & Smokin
DVD
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, March 7, 2015
It seemed like an awkward and uncomfortable performance for Pryor, but we do see a foreshadowing glimpse of what is to come later in his career. His ability to play to a less-than-receptive audience and not lose his cool is evident here. I actually didn't find very much of his material very funny in this performance, but I enjoyed his ability to go into character and and act. If this is his breakout performance, his earlier acts must have been downright awful. When I first started seeing him perform, in the late 70s, early 80s, he was by then clearly coming into his own and would soon carve into stone his well-earned (and hard-earned) position among the Titans of comedy.

Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor
Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor
Price: $299.95
59 used & new from $219.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Built, Well Designed, Reliable (So Far), September 7, 2014
I must confess that I've never owned a juicer, so I cannot compare the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite to any other. I can tell you that my experience with this juicer has been a joy so far. I've used it almost every day for over a month now with absolutely no problems whatsoever. It works great and cleans up quickly.
It seems to extract juice very well, because the leftover pulp tends to come out almost dry (if you're a gardener, put this stuff in your compost and you'll make the best soil ever! It breaks down quite quickly). A word of advice: Clean your juicer first thing, before you even drink the juice you just made. Trust me, you don't want fruit and veggie juice and pulp drying in/on the unit, as it increases cleaning time and effort exponentially. I can juice a large glass of juice and have everything cleaned up in under ten minutes. It's that simple. There are only six parts to clean and, really, all your doing is rinsing them off well, except for the screen, which you want to give a good scrubbing with the supplied brush. Same goes for your glass when you're done drinking your juice. Rinse it out immediately. The wife was quick to point out the difficulties associated with ignoring this advice. ;-)

While it doesn't juice some leafy greens very well, such as spinach, parsley, cilantro, etc., in all fairness, it's not really designed to handle that type of material. The unit does generate some noise, but I'm told it is quieter than many other juicers. The pitcher into which the extracted juice empties has a special lid that retains much of the froth, so that when you pour the juice into a glass, you get mainly juice and not a lot of pulp/froth/goo/etc. A really smart design feature that I love.

One observation: I occasionally visit a juice bar in Austin, TX and this is the juicer they use. They have several of them. It was definitely an influence on my final choice when I was researching before I purchased.

Overall, I love this juicer. I've had no problems with it so far, it cleans up in a snap and the juice is very liquious and drinkable. Based on the overall construction, which is primarily stainless steel, I can imagine that this unit is going to outlast me. Breville is generally known for high quality, the 800JEXL notwithstanding. It gets my recommendation.

Red Rock Outdoor Gear Traveler Duffle Bag (Coyote)
Red Rock Outdoor Gear Traveler Duffle Bag (Coyote)
Price: $70.30
8 used & new from $65.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, Well Designed, October 7, 2013
Red Rock is a new company to me, so not knowing anything about them, I was skeptical. After giving their products a close, thorough examination at a consumer event, it was obvious that their products are well-built. I've owned this bag for a few weeks now and I've been giving it a hard workout. Almost a thousand miles of travel, dragging it in and out of vehicles, loading it, unloading it and, basically, just putting it through it's paces, it is holding up excellently. It organizes really well, there are tons of zippered compartments and the backpack straps make it super-easy to transport longer distances comfortably, without having to carry it by hand. You can configure the bag to carry very small, compact loads or you can stuff it full with tons of gear, it'll handle it all. I liked it enough that I bought an additional one, as well as their Rover Cling Bag, also tough as nails and barely a scratch after two months of every-day-carry. The Red Rock Traveler Duffle is, hands-down, the best tactical duffle I've ever owned. Highly recommended.

Gold Live!
Gold Live!
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, aside from the bugs, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Gold Live! (App)
I would have given it five stars if it would ever render charts for the DOW and Dollar index.
Other than that, this is an awesome little app.

Netflix
Netflix
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars No Brainer, May 3, 2013
This review is from: Netflix (App)
Easy to use, hassle-free, saves me time. Best of all, it was free! Netflix is just one single click away.

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse
Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse
by James Wesley Rawles
Price: $12.70
170 used & new from $3.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Rawles Explores The Possible, May 25, 2009
We get enough fear and doom-mongering from the mainstream media. The problem is that they're not really exploring the possible outcomes of an economic collapse. While "Patriots" is full of scenarios we all pray we never face, this topic has been begging to be explored and JW Rawles has explored such an event quite thoroughly and creatively.
Well-developed characters in a well-written novel, which reads almost like a survival manual. While the story alone is quite enthralling, the information we're able to glean from this novel is worth its weight in gold, enlightening all of us to a possible outcome none of us wants to think about, but what the intelligent and wise members of our society will surely appreciate as a window into what is shaping up with every passing day as a probability.
Rawles is to be commended for his foresight, as well as his insight. While I'm not a religious person at all, I'm very spiritual, but Rawles' Christian perspective just made sense, regardless of what one believes.

I consider this required reading for anyone who thinks the government is going to fix everything. This book will reveal just how preposterous such a notion actually is.

Earth Architecture
Earth Architecture
by Ronald Rael
21 used & new from $31.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, February 4, 2009
This review is from: Earth Architecture (Hardcover)
This book is an integral part of my growing alternative architecture library. The images and text are inspiring, to say the least. Among the most attractive books on the subject currently being offered. Well written and well designed.

Page: 1 | 2