Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now DOTD
Profile for frederick scribner > Reviews

Browse

frederick scribner's Profile

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

frederick scribner RSS Feed (massachusetts)

Page: 1 | 2
Flip: An Unconventional Guide to Becoming a Real Estate Entrepreneur and Building Your Dream Lifestyle
by Nick Ruiz
Price: $17.67
7 used & new from $17.67

2.0 out of 5 stars I am so disappointed I will be returning this book, August 3, 2015
Honest Review here. The others must be shills! I am so disappointed I will be returning this book. And I rarely return. Look this book does have some value. I found the authors comments on dual-closings helpful. But let's be clear. This book is about a sub-set of "flipping" called "wholesaling". Here is my gripe: there are far, far better books out there on wholesaling, like "The Real Estate Wholesaling Bible" by Than Merrill. This book is very short - barely 100pgs, and with a conversational style, fewer words per page and light on content. My other complaint is that in the first 30 pages, the author directs you to his web-site no less than 4x. Now, I am fine with this in principle - especially if this book were serious on content. But because it is so light on content it looks more like a thinly veiled sales-pitch for other products. Moreover, if it were 9 bucks. Ok. But at near $20, I feel ripped-off. Look elsewhere. You can do far better.

Manny Khoshbin's Contrarian PlayBook: How to Build Your $100 Million Real Estate Portfolio From the Ground Up
by Manny Khoshbin
Price: $12.77
50 used & new from $9.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special Here, December 15, 2013
OK. Look. This book doesn't deserve 1 star. It's more of a 2-3 star book. But these other reviewers are clearly paid shills writing 'puff' pieces. My 1star is an attempt at balance. I'm no BS. Here's an honest review. Frankly, I expected more. I have been investing in real estate for about a decade and own about 20units. So, yes I have some experience. And I'm always looking for real insight into moving to the next level. Since the author owns 100mil in assets, I figured he'd share his knowledge of wealth creation. In my view, he does not. Although this book offers some very basic information on commercial real estate, its nothing that can't be found in 300 other books. If you want a beginner's guide to RE, I suppose this is not bad.But you could do better. I was hoping it was more in the spirit of my favorite RE books, Randel's "Confessions of a Real Estate Entrepreneur". But alas, it is not.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 8:40 AM PST

Russell Hobbs RH13552 1-2/3-Liter Stainless-Steel Electric Kettle, Stainless Steel
Price: $40.55
17 used & new from $28.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff!, February 3, 2013
I've only had this for 2 weeks, so I cannot attest to it's durability. However, it very attractive and it boils
water plenty fast. The water does make some serious rumbling when starting to boil, as some have mentioned, but it's no issue for me. What I most liked about this pot is that there is no plastic touching the water. The plastic screen at the spout is easily removable. Then there is a plastic measuring rod for water fill level. I cut it off with a knife and took me 3 minutes. So, although there is now one small plastic stub within the pot, it is very high-up and no where near the water. I am plenty satisfied. For the price, I am so far quite happy: stylish/attractive, all stainless and no plastic (in the water area). Given what I have seen, tough to beat!

A Field Guide to Commercial Real Estate Investment
A Field Guide to Commercial Real Estate Investment
by Robert A. McComb
Price: $17.95
20 used & new from $1.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoped for more . . ., June 27, 2012
I won't wast my time or yours. This is an incredibly basic book that is scarcely 100pgs long. I am an experienced apartment investor (currently own 25units) so I didn't expect to learn too much new in this category. I was, however, interested in other commercial categories, like strip-malls, etc. The information is so basic here I feel like I could glean most of it from Wikipedia for free. It's an OK basic start, but you really have to have no baseline knowledge - at all- for this to be valuable. I was expecting far more. 2.5 stars.

Real Estate Investing Systems
Real Estate Investing Systems
by James Orr
Price: $19.95
14 used & new from $15.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Investing Tool!, June 19, 2012
This is not really a book that you read cover-to-cover. Rather is a real estate investing tool.
Think of it as series of check-lists, of to-do lists to get you to operate at the peak of your investing game. Want to turn your investing into an investing business? Follow this guide! This is good stuff! (And I don't say that lightly. Just look at my other reviews).

2 New Brinks Home Security Alarm System Yard Signs & 8 Brinks Window Decal Stickers

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but a bit on the pricey side . . ., June 15, 2012
The central point of my review is to set the record straight. I bought this product because a previous reviewer stated that BOTH the sign and stake are made of metal (aluminum). This is not true. Therefore, I was disappointed when I received the sign because although the stake is metal, the sign most certainly is not: it is made of plastic. I was willing to pay nearly $25/sign for a metal sign, but for a plastic one -in my view- it is far too expensive. If I could do it again I would buy one of the plastic one's listed here for maybe half this price. It's a decent product, just over-priced for plastic.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2012 5:12 AM PDT

The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
by Michael E. Gerber
Price: $11.86
493 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Yourself Time and $$$: Skip it, June 6, 2011
I'm really shocked this is not only book, but has become a mini-empire or phenomena of sorts. Why? It's content can be summarized in one sentence: Any and every aspect of your business should be created and formulated with a stardarization as if it were a franchise. In otherwords, every aspect of your business should be replicated as franchizable. That's it. The rest is pure fluff. Now stop wasting time, move along, and get busy on your dreams.

The Magic of Thinking Big
The Magic of Thinking Big
by David J. Schwartz
Price: $9.03
297 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so good!, June 6, 2011
I know, I know, everyone wants you to honor the purported classics. But really, this book is not very good. In fact, it's some pretty outdated positive-thinking froth. Think and Grow Rich is a real classic. As for this work, you could easily find better material elsewhere. You'll be glad you did.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2011 7:34 AM PDT

How They Did It: Billion Dollar Insights from the Heart of America
How They Did It: Billion Dollar Insights from the Heart of America
by Robert Jordan
Price: $24.95
31 used & new from $9.08

2.0 out of 5 stars Can you say "filler"?, February 12, 2011
All these 5 star reviews - most of whom have never written another review for Amazon --ever! I mean come on now. Remember growing-up when some kid at school always thought he could fool the teacher and cover-up his own lack of effort by using really really big margins? Well, welcome back to school. A full two thirds of each page is dedicated to a quote in some huge font, so that the remaining interview text is only one third of the page. In other words, greatly reduced 'real' content. To make matters worse, this super-large font quote above, leaves so little space for the real 'meat' of the interviews, these are presented in an unually small font. And frankly, one that is too small for me to comfortably read. After buying it and seeing it, its layout is so poorly conceived it makes it (a) uncomfortable for me to read it (extra small font for interview) and (b) I ultimately feel cheated since 70% of the book is essentially filler (extra large font quotes). UPDATE: I did finally read some of this book and there are some good startup stories here, but keep in mind this 125+ pg book, in a more normal format, more likely amounts to a 50 page book. Very poorly conceived layout, that for me was very UN-user-friendly. Proceed with with caution.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2014 4:17 PM PST

Millionaire in 365 Days: The Daily Plan to Get There
Millionaire in 365 Days: The Daily Plan to Get There
by Christopher
15 used & new from $5.09

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Time: Save a tree., January 16, 2011
It's frankly unclear just what this book is even about. It a very poorly organized and poorly written self-published book which serves no clear audience. This book offers no clear, thoughtful plan on 'how to buy a business'. You'll do better elsewhere. This is one of the worst books I've ever read. Really, it's that bad. I felt so ripped-off and insulted I returned it. Frankly, I'm a bit embarassed have even bought it. The other five star reviews are likely phony. Save yourself the pain.

Page: 1 | 2