Profile for Sarah Hedengren > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sarah Hedengren RSS Feed (Houston, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
Falling Into Heaven
Falling Into Heaven
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It pulled me right in, May 30, 2013
Falling Into Heaven has an interesting and fast-moving story line which made me want to keep reading. As the story moves along, the characters are developed well and given depth. The technological side was really fun and well done. The concept is fantastic (who hasn't dreamed of flying?!) and it is enough to interest tech types but kept plenty simple to not bog the story down for someone who is not into that. The ending blind sided me, but afterward I felt like I understood better the reasons. (Not to be vague; just trying to avoid any spoilers.) The story is very compelling and will be enjoyed by readers of many ages and backgrounds.

Nursery Classics: A Galdone Treasury
Nursery Classics: A Galdone Treasury
by Paul Galdone
58 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, December 7, 2012
We became aware of Paul Galdone years ago, when my older ones were little, and we've loved his books ever since. The last town we lived in had an amazing library with resources to request from several counties. Our new town has a less elaborate setup, and I hadn't realized that my younger children had not had the exposure yet to Galdone until I was at the park recently. My three year old was in a playhouse, and I said, "Little Pig, Little Pig, let me come in!" He responded by saying, "I am!" and letting me in. I thought, "Have I never read him The Three Little Pigs?!" Parenting fail.

Amazon to the rescue! I love this book as it has The Three Little Pigs, The Three Bears, The Little Red Hen, and Cat Goes Fiddle-i-fee. We have read it together at least five times in the week or so that we've owned it, and I'm happy to say that my three year old can now answer the wolf properly!

Galdone's illustrations are engaging. It is a great book to snuggle up with your kids and enjoy. I can only tolerate so much Dora and other character books.

Some versions of The Three Little Pigs have brother number one run to the house of sticks, and then both one and two run to the house of bricks after the wolf huffs and puffs their houses down. In this book, pig one and two are simply eaten up. I just want to share that in case it bothers you. As the wolf is not able to blow down pig #3's house of bricks, he tries a number of times to lure him on outings with him. Each time the pig outsmarts him, which my children enjoy.

We love The Three Bears. Wonderful illustrations, a quirky little Goldilocks, and so fun to read aloud.

I love how Galdone set up The Little Red Hen. On one of the pages where the animals are saying, "Not I," he drew each animal's face in the "O" of the not I, so even my non-readers can "read" that part. They love to take a turn helping tell the story. Super fun details on a classic story.

On the Cat Says Fiddle-i-fee, I love to alter it. It just always makes me think of Aaron Copland's, "I Bought Me a Cat" so I sing the book to that tune and it is really fun. (If you haven't heard the song, look it up on youtube. It's a keeper.)

In my mind, each of these books are worth five stars on their own, so to get four books in one makes it a clear winner.

Pecoware / My Special Journal Kit, Princess Rose Slippers
Pecoware / My Special Journal Kit, Princess Rose Slippers
Offered by Home Sweet Home Kids
Price: $8.29
4 used & new from $8.29

3.0 out of 5 stars I was hoping for more, December 7, 2012
My daughter loved this journal set. The pen that comes with it is the type that has many different color inks. It is cute and was probably the best thing to come out of the purchase. The little cardboard bookmark things are not particularly great quality. I just threw them away when she wasn't around because I didn't want her baby sister eating them, and I also didn't want to find them all over the place. The journal itself reminds me of the notebooks you can get at Michael's for like $1. It's rather small and not anything amazing. If you are aiming to please a child, this is probably a good purchase. From my perspective, I would have appreciated higher quality or a low price.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2012 7:35 AM PST

Seiko SQ50-V Quartz Metronome
Seiko SQ50-V Quartz Metronome
Price: $24.69
50 used & new from $20.06

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked great until the switch broke, November 3, 2012
We bought this metronome and my kids loved it. They used it daily for piano practice. It worked great for a few months until one day the switch snapped as my son was using it. The switch is really tiny, and it was a pain to turn on and off even before it broke. The switch broke in half for us, just where it sticks out, leaving the remainder of the switch flush with the unit.

I kept the packaging for a bit, but then had thrown it away, so I have not contacted the manufacturer. I am looking for a better longer term replacement. In the meantime, I managed to turn it back on again and we've been using it the last month or so by attaching and removing the battery. (Not ideal, but it works!)

Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu - Season 1
Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu - Season 1
DVD ~ Vincent Tong
Price: $14.24
17 used & new from $4.56

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I would have seen them first..., August 11, 2012
My kids love Lego Ninjago. We have bought almost all of the books and they have read them over and over. They have several sets and they spend hours playing with them (and eyeing new sets!).

When my son was about to turn eight, I saw this this product online and was really excited to get it for him for his birthday; I knew he would love it. We had never seen any of the episodes, and I wish I would have watched some first. My kids - they love them. As a mom, I don't like some of the humor and overtones. There are things that are rude or mean used as humor. There is disrespect and complaining to their sensei. Jay whines about losing the high scores on his video games like it is the end of the world.

The first time we watched it I was just cringing in parts and feeling like I wanted it to be the first time and last time they watched it. It isn't over the top terrible, just has enough things that I do not want my children adopting to concern me. Kids are so influenced by media, especially if it is something they love and think is so cool. I discussed with them portions that concern me and that I don't want to see them imitating, so hopefully it will be all right.

The animation is high quality, the opening music is really upbeat and fun, and the kids sure love it. Probably most people interested in buying this have already watched some of them, but if you haven't seen the episodes and are selective about what you have your kids watch I would see if you can watch some episodes online or borrow from a friend before buying.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2013 12:22 PM PST

LEGO Ninjago 3856
LEGO Ninjago 3856
Offered by Pappy's Toy Shop
Price: $27.11
94 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Decent Game, January 23, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago 3856 (Toy)
My 7 and 9 yo boys love all things ninjago, so this was a Christmas present for Mr. 7 year old. He has liked it and we have enjoyed playing it with him. The rules are pretty fun as they are although I would enjoy it more if there were more strategy involved and not just rolling the die and using the spinner thing. (But there are obviously many kid games have even less freedom of choice: Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, etc. etc.)

I love that the rule book gives ideas and suggestions for customizing the game and developing house rules. Obviously anyone can do house rules whenever they want, but I love that they throw it out there to encourage the kids to think about how they might want to play and that they offer ideas to try different things.

The game comes in pieces and has instructions to build, which my son enjoyed. One downside is there are LOTS of little pieces, like all things lego, so there's the potential there to lose pieces. But that is the case with many games.

Overall, it's a decently fun game.

The Challenge of Samukai (Lego Ninjago : Masters of Spinjitzu, No. 1)
The Challenge of Samukai (Lego Ninjago : Masters of Spinjitzu, No. 1)
Price: $6.29
257 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this book, January 23, 2012
Graphic novels are such a hit with my kids, so I was very pleased with this book. I got it for my third grade son's birthday and he loved it. He's read it and read it.

LEGO Ninjago Chapter Book: Jay, Ninja of Lightning
LEGO Ninjago Chapter Book: Jay, Ninja of Lightning
Price: $4.49
206 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Hit With My Sons, January 23, 2012
My two oldest are crazy about all things ninjango. I'm glad to have something for them to read (and re-read) on a topic that they are so excited about. I'm sure eventually ninjago will be to them like transformers, bakugans, and many other things have been. The craze will pass, but I'm still glad to buy it and have them be so eager to read it and then read it again.

This one is more advanced than the "readers" so there are not very many pictures and larger vocabulary. My third grader does fine with them, and it is a good stretch for my second grader, who might be intimidated by a chapter book at a similar level on a different topic.

LEGO Ninjago Reader #1: Way of the Ninja
LEGO Ninjago Reader #1: Way of the Ninja
Price: $3.26
237 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reluctant readers, January 23, 2012
My sons are obsessed with all things ninjago. One of my sons was not too eager to read and so this book was fantastic for him. He loves it and reads it again and again, which helps with fluency. Both my boys love the pictures and the story. Highly recommend.

Presto 04213 Electronic Digital Timer
Presto 04213 Electronic Digital Timer
Price: $7.60
14 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, October 15, 2011
I have purchased five of these: four for our family and one as a gift. I originally bought one to use in the kitchen and have used it for years. Then I found myself wanting more of them as it worked very well for my children to time themselves to record in their reading log, or if I wanted to say 20 more minutes on the computer, etc. I just keep several in places where they often read and it has been so convenient. (No more of my son coming in and saying, "Is that enough reading time?") They are such a reasonable price and I really like that you can use them to count up or down.

Page: 1 | 2