Profile for AFL > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

AFL "Cheese Louise" RSS Feed (WI)

Whirlpool 8273104 Knob for Range
Whirlpool 8273104 Knob for Range
Offered by PANDORA'S OEM APPLIANCE PARTS
Price: $10.11
8 used & new from $9.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Whirlpool replacement knobs, years in the replacing, July 18, 2013
A few years ago a couple of the burner knobs wore out and broke off my Whirlpool gas range. In attempting to replace them I discovered how difficult it can be to find factory parts for broken appliances. The store I bought the range from didn't sell replacement knobs, though they offered to sell me a new range (!) My husband tried replacing them with cheap universal knobs from a big box store, but those didn't match the finish and design of the range, and they always fell off after being touched or bumped. We approached a local appliance repair shop to find out about ordering replacement knobs, but the price they quoted ($125.00 for four knobs) was more than we felt was reasonable given the knobs the range came with were little more than thick molded plastic. We couldn't find the same Whirlpool knobs anywhere online either. We made do using our range without knobs for some time, which was doable but less than ideal.

A couple months ago, in the middle of a kitchen renovation, I decided to check again to see if I could find the knobs our range needed. The first place I checked was Amazon, and I was surprised to find these knobs. Not only were they authentic Whirlpool knobs, they appeared to be the same part original to our range. On top of that, the price per knob was fair. It would cost less than $50.00 to outfit my range with a new set of knobs. Sure beats spending $125.00 +tax. Having had no luck in my previous search for the appropriate knobs, I half expected to be disappointed if I ordered these. But I did, and they're perfect. They are indeed the same factory knobs I searched for years ago, but for a fraction of the price the local appliance repair shop quoted.

There's not much else I can say about the knobs themselves-- if you own a white Whirlpool range manufactured within the last decade or so these knobs should work (check your owner's manual to be certain). They couldn't be easier to install: slide them on the burner stem (sorry, I don't know the technical term for it) and they're ready to use. The original knobs on my range lasted about six years before they weakened and broke, so I expect about the same from these. Since I plan to replace my range in another year or so I imagine this set of knobs will hold up fine during that time. The most important thing to me is that I finally have a fully functional range, and cooking is a pleasure again!

Neewer 110CM 43-Inch 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector
Neewer 110CM 43-Inch 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Light Reflector
Price: $18.03
16 used & new from $12.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy this reflector already!, August 21, 2011
You're reading the reviews for this 5-in-1 reflector because you've noticed that this product:
a) sells for a mere $14.99
b) has a 4+ star average reviewer rating
c) seems to offer some (or even all) of the features found in more expensive reflectors.

Shortly before I ordered this reflector, I read several of the Amazon reviews before I threw up my arms and shouted "the heck with it! The price is right, and it appears to be what I need: a way of bouncing available light in the direction of the person or object I'm photographing. I'm ordering it." A week later, I had the reflector in my hands. I can confirm that this is a generously sized reflector with gold, silver, white, translucent, and black sides. It folds and unfolds and folds again without a problem. It's even easier to fold and put back in its pouch than the (4x more expensive) reflector sold by the folks at my local camera shop. It works as it should. I haven't noticed any wear and tear in the three months I've used it, and I use it several times a week. Geez, even if it falls to shreds tomorrow I'll still feel I got my money's worth out of it.

Cons? It's a little large, which can make for awkward handling (clamp it to a stand and that problem's gone). Folded, it's possible it might not fit in an average size camera bag, but that's about the only drawback I can come up with.

Just buy it already, okay?

Cooking With Trader Joe's Cookbook: Dinner's Done!
Cooking With Trader Joe's Cookbook: Dinner's Done!
by Deana Gunn
Price: $21.61
110 used & new from $0.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad nut in the bunch, July 16, 2011
My husband is our unofficial family cook and a TJ's devotee. When I found "The Cooking With Trader Joe's Cookbook: Dinner's Done!" at a local bookstore while shopping for his Father's Day gift, I immediately stopped browsing and headed to the checkout with the book in hand. Indeed, my husband was at least as excited to receive this cookbook as I was to give it, and the book has lived up to our excitement. Not only can every recipe in this book be constructed solely from items found at our local TJ's, which saves us shopping time, every recipe we've made has been excellent. Let's face it, some cookbooks that focus on convenience cooking talk a good game, but fail to deliver recipes that taste as good as they appear on paper. Not this one! The recipes in Dinner's Done are streamlined enough to prepare on a busy weeknight, yet they are sophisticated enough to serve to weekend guests.

If you cook for the kid set, it's good to know that the recipes in this cookbook are family-friendly, yet the book is free of recipes designed to appeal to kids but not their parents. I'm tired of recipes for smiley-face pizzas and endless permutations of mac n' cheese. Though Dinner's Done is mercifully free of such fare, my 5-year-old daughter loves looking at this cookbook. She enjoys picking out recipes which she can assist us in preparing, and she's excited to eat the results. She is a very picky eater, so any cookbook that gets her excited about eating dinner is a winner in my eyes.

If you're looking for a cookbook full of delicious, quick-to-prepare, and healthy recipes that will appeal to the whole family, this is it. I can't recommend this cookbook enough.