Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Mark Thrice > Reviews

Browse

Mark Thrice's Profile

Customer Reviews: 62

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Thrice "elfhund" RSS Feed (WV USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Popular: How a Geek in Pearls Discovered the Secret to Confidence
Popular: How a Geek in Pearls Discovered the Secret to Confidence
by Maya Van Wagenen
Price: $8.66
83 used & new from $1.28

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the most boring pieces of crap that I have ever tried to ..., May 17, 2016
One of the most boring pieces of crap that I have ever tried to read. This is not about applying the popularity techniques of the 1950s. It is about the uninteresting reflections of a boring teenager.

The Serena Technique of Belly Dancing
The Serena Technique of Belly Dancing
by Serena Wilson
25 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners!, March 31, 2016
This is one of the best books on belly dance despite being an older book and having a cheesy cover. Lots of stuff well explained.

All Dogs Go to Kevin: Everything Three Dogs Taught Me (That I Didn't Learn in Veterinary School)
by Jessica Vogelsang
Price: $18.18
97 used & new from $1.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Title Misleading and Set Me Up for Disappointment with Book, March 31, 2016
I guess I'm in the minority here in my opinion of this book. I hesitated to write a review, but finally decided to do so.

I thought this book would be an intensive and insightful study of three dogs and their impact on a person's life. The dogs, however, were largely incidental. I also thought that Kevin, whoever he was, would be central. After all, if all dogs go to Kevin, perhaps he was a healer or dog trainer with an especially large heart. Kevin is someone whom the author knows and he, too, in largely incidental.

So, I'm waiting for the dog stuff to get detailed and for Kevin to appear in person and assume his central role. Instead, I read page after page of this author's not especially skillful chat about her veterinary career. The title is just a cheap attempt to link the book to the "All Dogs Go to Heaven," in hopes, I guess of pulling in that reading audience.

The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace: A Brilliant Young Man Who Left Newark for the Ivy League
by Jeff Hobbs
Price: $9.87
173 used & new from $1.04

2.0 out of 5 stars but he chose the easy, lazy, March 4, 2016
So this guy was very bright, but not bright enough to avoid selling drugs for fast cash. He was handed a shiny future that might have raised his relatives and himself from poverty. but he chose the easy, lazy, fitting-into-da-hood way and he died. That's sad but hardly worth trudging through a pandering, poorly written book to discover.

Knitted Shawls & Wraps (Heritage of Knitting) (Volume 3)
Knitted Shawls & Wraps (Heritage of Knitting) (Volume 3)
by Tessa Lorant
Price: $10.00
24 used & new from $6.61

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a good enough knitter to work it out myself and don't ..., February 15, 2016
Not enough info on how to do these pieces in modern yarns. I'm not a good enough knitter to work it out myself and don't have money to buy yarn and then have it not work out. I wish someone would do a modern edition with modern yarns' weights and equivalents. Any knitting experts out there listening?

I'll Have What She's Having: My Adventures in Celebrity Dieting
I'll Have What She's Having: My Adventures in Celebrity Dieting
by Rebecca Harrington
Price: $13.00
100 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars What an Awful, Dull Book with no content and every single chapter disappoints -- an achievement in itself, I guess, February 15, 2016
Such a derivative bore. The title is a stolen line from "Pretty Woman," the diets were developed by other people, Harrington follows each diet for 10 days or so and tells you if she liked or disliked each dish. Even if you're such a Beyonce-bot or a true Beyonce-hater and you buy the book for this chapter, you're going to be disappointed because after Harrington regurgitates (poor word choice) bits from published interviews all you're going to get in addition is, "I like this. I didn't like this. I had a dinner party and people didn't like this."

Harrington keeps calling herself a journalist, but a journalist does more than type up blog entries.

I would like to have read something about celebrity diets and the industry around them. The blatant falsehood of most reported health doings of celebs is an interesting example of the modern industry of building fake realities and then marketing them as achievable for unprivileged ordinary types such as fans.

BTW, the first celebrity diet had to be that of Mary Pickford, who as a child bought and ate a rose whenever she could get pennies together because she hoped the sweetness and beauty of the flower would eventually become a part of herself. I wonder if Harrington did any research on the subject or just took what seems to have been a dull blog and sought a publishing contract.

Another BTW, why do people in New York always think that what they do is interesting? This book is a variation on the "I'm from New York and I'm going to do something for a year and write a book about me -- oops, I meant 'it'."

I listened to the audio read by Harrington and her relentless "I'm so darned cute and kinda clueless" voice and manner is, after a while, like being accidentally scratched by a straight pin 10,000 times in an evening.

My advice -- don't look at Harrington's book for laughs or information -- buy a better book by a better writer. It won't be hard. I recommend The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald. It's not about diets, but is written by the best female comedy writer that America has ever produced.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2016 2:15 PM PDT

Ma Vie Duncan (Folio) (French Edition)
Ma Vie Duncan (Folio) (French Edition)
by Isadora Duncan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $21.95
26 used & new from $7.62

3.0 out of 5 stars the book is tedious, but worth plowing through because it is all ..., January 7, 2016
This is suspected to have been rewritten after Duncan's death to insert "racy" stuff (for the time). Mercedes Acosta, who seems to have been somewhat unstable, is rumored to have been one of the rewriters along with Duncan's publisher. Parts of the book are written with intelligence and insight - especially discussions of dance. So, the book is tedious, but worth plowing through because it is all we have left of Duncan's original manuscript. The best Duncan biography that I have seen is Victor Seroff''s.

Against Depression
Against Depression
by Peter D. Kramer
Price: $14.89
132 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning to those who struggle with depression., December 24, 2015
This review is from: Against Depression (Paperback)
I have been depressed for years and must say it was not empowering to read Kramer's summary (accurate) of my childhood, my youth, my maturity, and the present and his sad predictions for my elder years. I now feel as if I have never had a personality, but just a grab-bag of what he describes as the "charming" attributes of the depressed personality. This news I could have done without. I wish this book could have somehow been restricted to his colleagues -- I didn't need it on a lonely Christmas Eve.

You see, the impulse to help the helpless is captivated by what Kramer says is "charming" symptoms of the depressed personality's mental illness.The implication is that depressed people are a mix of sick needs that aren't rejected by the medical establishment outright as indications of illness (as is the case, say, with cancer) because of that appeal to primal caring instinct.

I do think that Kramer's own hyper-achieving personality has blinded him from the muddled way that most people live -- the haphazard way that they are led to give up interests because they have married, have a new job, joined a club, or whatever. Perhaps it is time for him to get some analysis himself.

But even so, this book is not for the suffering. It will strip you of what dignity you have managed to create, reduce your efforts to "charm" tactics to manipulate others, and if you value anything in your personality, be ready to learn that you must lose it in order to achieve Karmer's "health."

Pitted Dried Plums by Kirkland Signature & Sunsweet Gold Label - 50 Oz.
Pitted Dried Plums by Kirkland Signature & Sunsweet Gold Label - 50 Oz.
Offered by Buy Better
Price: $20.00
3 used & new from $15.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm giving this a one star because the customer questions ..., December 10, 2015
I'm giving this a one star because the customer questions are closed. I needed to know this afternoon if these dried plums could be substituted in recipes for prunes and what the measurement ratio would be if they can. I couldn't find any recipies for "dried plums," so had to postpone my baking until I could go back to the store for some prunes. Thanks, Kirkland.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2015 5:55 PM PST

101 Designer One-Skein Wonders®: A World of Possibilities Inspired by Just One Skein
by Judith Durant
Price: $17.01
184 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst knitting book I ever bought., October 14, 2015
The problem with this book is that it offers a few patterns for about six different weights of yarn. So you need a wealth of circular needles in different sizes and lengths, sets of four and five doublepointed needles, and regular knitting needles. The economical aspect of having to buy only one pricey skein of yarn is lost if you have to buy two or three sets of needles to make it.

Next, the directions are for some reason done in a chatty style, so you must read them VERY carefully or you'll miss something. And they say things like "with smaller needles" instead of "with the size 9 needles" -- why? what's the benefit of this imprecise wording? I finally rewrote the directions in pencil to make them clear and quick to read.

There is no help in switching one specialty yarn for another -- suppose you don't have Freddie's Glamour Autumn Rolly Slub, but you want to make the beret? You're completely on your own and can look forward to buying single skeins and knitting swatches potentially forever. (This is a general problem with knitting books, but usually they feature a single brand or type of yarn, in this book every project uses something different.)

Then we come to the errors in the book. I didn't get far enough into any project to meet up with errors, but I surely am sorry that I bought a book so amateurishly produced that it requires pages of corrections to be gotten online.

Most of the time I pass a book along if it doesn't meet my wants. This one I am putting into the trash can.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7