Profile for Jeffrey P. Wood > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jeffrey P. Wood RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Mizuno Men's Wave Paradox Running Shoe
Mizuno Men's Wave Paradox Running Shoe
Price: $119.99 - $135.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Issue with Eyelets, July 21, 2014
I'm on my second pair of these - had to return the first because the eyelets gave out after a few months and am already having the same issue with the replacement pair. I wouldn't recommend purchasing the 1.0 version and would wait to see if the eyelet issue is corrected with the 2.0 version.

Core Values - U.S. Army Challenge Coin
Core Values - U.S. Army Challenge Coin
Offered by A Coins
Price: $9.79
6 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate, November 2, 2010
This is truly a beautiful coin. I bought it for a friend of mine and I think that for the money, it's one of the best looking coins available. The die cut portions are well done and Northwestern Territorial Mint always does a great job with enamel and colors.

Reign in Hell
Reign in Hell
by William Diehl
359 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, November 2, 2010
I just recently read this after having read the two previous Martin Vail books several years ago. Overall, I would not recommend it. It does a poor job of advancing anything from the previous two stories and in fact, the book would not have been any different had the Martin/Aaron characters not even been in it. Overall, it almost felt like a 'I want to retire but want one more big payday' type of book, which is a shame.

As others have mentioned - a lot of the details that are provided are just plain wrong. I realize that I might have more of an eye for this as a soldier - but I start to feel like 'if the author took shortcuts with this, what else is there?' If you are going to write a book about conflict between militias and soldiers - at least learn the equipment.

Also - many of the additional characters that were added were complete stereotypes and never really seemed to have any depth.

Overall - a poor effort that I cannot recommend in good faith.

Salt (Deluxe Unrated Edition)
Salt (Deluxe Unrated Edition)
DVD ~ Angelina Jolie
Price: $7.49
207 used & new from $0.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Just plain bad, November 2, 2010
I don't think this is the worst movie I have ever seen, but it is probably in the top 10. I would recommend skipping it (unless you want to complete the Tomb Raider/Wanted/Salt trifecta). Here are some of the reasons:

- Stereotypes: Russians, CIA operatives, politicians - you name it and they are stereotyped in this movie. Absolutely nothing new, original, professional or fleshed out. Absolutely no character development.

- Plot: I was expecting to spend at least part of the movie wondering "which side is she on?" That never happens. Plot holes are huge and distracting. Easily spotted plot turns with a final 'twist' that is so telegraphed that it doesn't come as a surprise at all. The ending screams 'sequel'.

- Acting: Honestly - if Megan Fox had been in this instead of Angelina Jolie, people would be ripping it apart. Somehow, Jolie seems to get a free pass and brings 'controlled depth' and 'icy calm' to the character when I saw it more as 'sleepwalking through a role'.

- Production values: jerky camera work and convoluted camera angles that don't really capture the action as much as give you a headache when trying to follow it.

Overall, the only positive thing is that at least it wasn't a long movie. I guess if you don't do any character development and rely on stereotypes then you don't have to spend a lot of time on it. Just patch together a bunch of bad action scenes.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2011 10:30 AM PST

Hard Rain: A Thriller (Vin Cooper)
Hard Rain: A Thriller (Vin Cooper)
by David Rollins
123 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but Far Fetched, October 3, 2010
I've read all three of David Rollins' Vin Cooper books and honestly, this was my least favorite of the three. I thought it bogged down in several places and the investigative pieces did not seem as thorough to me as they have been in previous books. I often found myself saying "why aren't they (looking into this)" .... Also, while there are some scenes in the previous books that require suspension of disbelief, I found 'Hard Rain' to be even more like "Mission Impossible" in that some of the action scenes were completely over the top.

A few personal issues that might not bother other people - as a soldier - I would say that Rollins still does a much better job with Air Force characters than he does with other services. Additionally, as someone that has served in Iraq and has been in several Iraqi hospitals, some of the scenes in this book do not really ring true to me.

Overall, I would say that it was a decent read. However, I will likely wait until the next Vin Cooper book is in soft cover to purchase it based on my experience with Hard Rain.

A Knife Edge: A Thriller (Vin Cooper)
A Knife Edge: A Thriller (Vin Cooper)
by David Rollins
85 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but with a little too much good luck, October 2, 2010
Overall, I found "A Knife Edge" to be an interesting story with good dialogue and a likeable protagonist. It follows on the heels of the Death Trust and it probably is best to read the books sequentially as this will help provide some background about some of the relationships (this isn't a requirement but it will flesh some things out). The story moves along at a good pace and the action scenes are well written.

My criticisms are that there are a few occasions (especially one parachute scene) that just seem too coincidental to actually happen. I realize that it's sometimes necessary to suspend disbelief to enjoy an action novel, but this particular incident is just completely over the top and I thought that it significantly detracted from the book. It also seems like any female character in the book is either a smoking hot nymphomaniac or a troll. It would be refreshing to see a little more middle ground which I think would help the book stay a little more grounded as well.

Also - as a soldier, there are some inconsistencies that I found bothersome but that may not bother non-military readers (e.g. alluding to Airborne School taking place at Fort Bragg instead of Fort Benning, the lead character getting off a C-130 with his ears ringing when hearing protection is mandatory to fly in a C-130, not mentioning that HALO jumpers have an Automatic Deployment Device for their chutes, etc). It probably wouldn't have bothered me as much except so many of the critical reviews for this book talk about how correct the military aspects are. However, I think that these are small details and at least from my limited knowledge, he appears to get all of the Air Force pieces correct.

Melitta Ready Set Joe/Mug 64010 Coffee Makers Speciality, Black
Melitta Ready Set Joe/Mug 64010 Coffee Makers Speciality, Black
Offered by ALL MAX
Price: $8.17
17 used & new from $5.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Both Fantastic and Inexpensive, September 24, 2010
Having a wife that worked as a Barista, I have run the gamut of individual coffee makers - from the single French press to the single cup coffee maker. This is my absolute favorite for the office. It makes great coffee and is inexpensive - what more could you ask for? Clean up is simple and I like the fact that you can see the coffee level in your cup so that you don't overfill it.

The Moses Expedition: A Novel
The Moses Expedition: A Novel
by Juan Gómez-Jurado
214 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Premise, September 24, 2010
This book started with a lot of promise, but I just didn't feel like it was completely fleshed out. Some of that might be that I did not read Mr. Jurado's previous book - so some of the character development might have taken place there. It felt to me more like I was reading a movie treatment rather than a novel as details and motivation were often left out.

On the positive side - it was a pleasant diversion and a quick read. As some other reviewers noted, it would be a good poolside book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2010 11:45 AM PDT

Redemption Street (Moe Prager Series)
Redemption Street (Moe Prager Series)
by Reed Farrel Coleman
51 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Depth of Character, September 24, 2010
I just recently started reading the Moe Prager series (in order) and am delighted with the depth and emotion that Mr. Coleman conveys in his writing. I also like the fact that the cases that he writes about are plausible.

I will warn you that there is some character development that takes place in this book that I think will be necessary for the subsequent books (which might make the story seem to lag a bit at times if viewed as a stand-alone book). I would also recommend reading 'Walking the Perfect Square' first to understand the groundwork for some of the family dynamics.

Overall, I found the book to be enjoyable and interesting and would highly recommend it.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
by Malcolm Gladwell
Price: $15.30
950 used & new from $0.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Roadmap, August 29, 2010
It seems like a lot of reviews have spent a lot of time bemoaning what "Blink" isn't. It isn't a self-help guide that will teach you "how to harness the power of thin slicing to win at business, cards, love, and the stock market" which it seems is what a lot of Americans are looking for. To me - it seems more like an examination of the fact that we've become so data driven in the workforce that we've lost some of the balance between informed decisions based on data and 'gut feel.' I would also say that Gladwell didn't lay out a map of "this is how you, too, can thin slice" because it would be different for each of us depending on background, experience, the purpose we wish to achieve, etc. etc. etc. Instead - it's a personal responsibility to think about the ways that you make decisions and ways that you may be overwhelming yourself with data rather than doing something that comes naturally.

Overall - I enjoyed the book for what it was and it made me spend time thinking about the different ways that I make decisions. I found the examples interesting - but maybe that's because I'm an Army officer that works in the medical field that has a car salesman for a father (all of these play a role in the book). It seems to wander a little at times and not all of the examples seem relevant to me, though.

Page: 1 | 2