Profile for Robert Petkus > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 63

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Petkus RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
SANOXY® Premium Battery Charger with Car Charger Adapter for Olympus LI-50B Digital Camera and Camcorder
Offered by Everydaysource
Price: $4.00
6 used & new from $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, June 2, 2011
I lost the battery charger for my Olympus point and shoot. I'm so glad I purchased this inexpensive product. I was ready to purchase a similar LI-50B charger at BestBuy for $40 until I found this offering on Amazon from my phone. Since receiving, I've used the charger countless times without fail.

CHICHITEC Sprint HTC EVO 4G 2x1900 mAh Battery Slim Design Longer life than OEM+Wall Travel Dock USB Charger also for EVO Shift 4G,Verizon Droid Incredible 2, Touch Pro2, myTouch Slide, Google DesireZ, G2 by CHICHITEC ONLY BEWARE KNOCKOFF

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, June 2, 2011
The two batteries arrived exactly as described (1900mAh) and were pre-charged. While I haven't had them for long, battery performance is indistinguishable from the original. Based on other reviews, however, I suspect this will not hold true over the life of the product. While swapping batteries requires a reboot and loss of state, I prefer an extra battery over the higher capacity Seido battery that resembles a bulbous lozenge. Lastly, as others have mentioned, the included wall charger is absolutely useless.

SGP STEINHEIL HTC Evo 4G Sprint Screen Protector (Anti Fingerprint)
SGP STEINHEIL HTC Evo 4G Sprint Screen Protector (Anti Fingerprint)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - would buy again, June 2, 2011
The product perfectly fits the HTC EVO 4G and two protectors come in the pack. Installation does not require the use of liquid.
I was somewhat concerned that the matte finish would dull the luminosity and quality of the screen and waffled between this and the crystal protector. However, the matte finish is perfectly fine and doesn't detract from the experience - be it watching movies or surfing the web. Not having smudges all over the display is nice.

I would buy this product again and again.

Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 Digital SLR (Retail Packaging)
Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 Digital SLR (Retail Packaging)
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $189.00
7 used & new from $149.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the imitation, January 26, 2011
When I purchased the Pentax K7, I agonized over which battery grip I should purchase - the Pentax BG4 or the Chinese knock-off available here and on the auction site. I went with the imitation and, never having used the real Pentax, it seemed adequate. But I had issues - the silkscreened button labels rubbed off, the rubber veneer began to peel back, and the wheel and buttons were wobbly and cheap feeling.

After purchasing the Pentax K5, I decided to get this grip - the real Pentax BG4. What a pleasure it was to take this out of the box and wheel it onto my camera. The fit and finish are impeccable and the button/wheel action mirrors the camera's own. It's also worth noting that the rubberized sections have a nicer look and texture. I believe this product will last a long time.

For those on the fence regarding either the genuine or counterfeit grip I recommend the genuine artifact. I sympathize with you regarding the high cost but, then again, you did purchase a $1500 camera.

Final notes:
- The grip is plastic, not magnesium alloy but is tough, well-balanced and feels like the latter.
- The grip is waterproof whereas the imitations are not
- The tripod mount thread is off-center as it is on the imitation.

Victorinox Cybertool Lite Translucent Ruby Multi-Tool
Victorinox Cybertool Lite Translucent Ruby Multi-Tool
Price: $115.99
15 used & new from $115.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Never without it, January 13, 2011
The Cybertool Lite is the best multi-use tool I've owned. I'm an engineer who loves DIY projects. This tool is used almost every day at work (electronics), home (DIY, miscellany), and outside (fishing, camping). For 2 years this knife has lived in my front pants pocket - collecting lint, scratching against coins and keys, and otherwise getting banged around. It continues to look great and function perfectly and I expect it to last a very long time.

I gave my wife a list of (3) CyberTools to select from as a Christmas gift for myself - CyberTool 41, 34, and Lite. I'm glad she chose the Lite - I actually use that little light frequently and it's smartly positioned to beam along the plane of the bit drive. One of the best gifts I've ever received. Thanks, Honey!

Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder
Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder
Price: $99.99
17 used & new from $90.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound, Cheap Plastic Junk, January 10, 2011
Let me start by saying that all the luminous 5-star ratings are valid within their context. For me, however, the Zoom H1 fell short of my needs.

I wanted a compact digital recorder to record separate audio while using a Pentax K5 DSLR. My objecties were to 1) shoe-mount the H1 when in a pinch, 2) connect an external mic to the H1, 3) connect external balanced mics to a pre-amp connected to the H1. The H1 can do all of these things and doesn't sound half bad even without a limiter.

My problem was the cheap construction. I read about this in reviews but thought, How bad could it be? Indeed, the product image does look attractive and well-made. But in reality the case is cheap, thin plastic - the whole unit creaks and flexes if squeezed tightly - and feels like to would disassemble if dropped. Add to that a plastic hot-shoe thread in the back - several twists with an imperfect line-up will ruin the threads.

So if you're a user like myself who 1) intends on packing their audio recorder in a jostling camera bag filled with stuff and 2) will be mounting and un-mounting fairly frequently, then I suggest a unit with better construction. The Olympus LS-11 would be a good choice and has outstanding sound.

If the budget is limited, however, the H1 probably has the best sound for the money. I would suggest getting a silicone jacket and permanently affixing the H1's hotshoe mount to a quick release tripod plate, either Manfrotto RC2 or Arca-Type.

Good luck.

Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras (Model A09P)
Price: $499.00
15 used & new from $279.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Did I Wait So Long?, December 26, 2010
I'm a long time Pentax user and for some reason passed over this superb lens. Instead, within this focal range, I opted for the Pentax DA* 16-50/2.8 lens. While that lens has outstanding construction, is weather-sealed, and whisper quiet (SDM), I was never satisfied with that product. I went through 2 copies and ultimately felt the 16-50/2.8 was too soft, quirky, and with decidedly poor CA. It was the lens I wanted and tried to love because I felt it rounded out my outfit perfectly.

But this review is about the Tamron 28-75/2.8, not the Pentax lens it replaced. I absolutely love this lens - images are tack sharp and CA and distortion are well controlled all through its focal range. While not weather-sealed and all-metal like the Pentax, the lens is well-balanced and movement well dampened. This is a full frame lens with an aperture ring which I consider a positive.

I use this lens both professionally in the studio and for portraits, interchangeably with the Pentax DA* 50-135/2.8 (another outstanding lens). It also makes for an excellent general purpose, walk-about lens - especially when the use of a prime lens isn't ideal (e.g., stationary seating, etc.).

On a last note, I waffled between the 28-75 and the 17-50 2.8 lenses, both from Tamron. For me, the additional length is more useful. When I need to shoot wide I usually reach for the DA 15/4.

Currently this lens is used with a Pentax K5. I would buy this product again.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2011 7:31 AM PDT

Zoobles Starfish and Fish + Happitat
Zoobles Starfish and Fish + Happitat
Offered by Dept229
Price: $10.91
2 used & new from $10.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids 3 and 5 Love Them, December 26, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
These balls are cute if not over-priced. Gave a few pairs to my daughters for Christmas. Zoobles are constructed with tiny metal springs that hinge small plastic panels that open and close (eyelids, ears, etc.) when placed on a magnetic surface.

Since they're new I can't attend to durability - however, survivability if stepped on, dropped, or thrown lacks any real promise.

Get em while they're hot!

Giottos AA1910 Medium Rocket Air Blaster (6.6)
Giottos AA1910 Medium Rocket Air Blaster (6.6)
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $8.85
17 used & new from $7.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Good size and function, December 26, 2010
I use this to clean photographic equipment - my lenses, around the camera body, and inside the DSLR cavity (AA filter, mirror). Admittedly, though, an air blower isn't ideal for sensor cleaning since dust is just blown around rather than removed. For sensor cleaning, I'd recommend Visible Dust swabs and products. Still, for me, it's a must-have product with a surprisingly potent blast of air.

I looked at the different sizes and preferred the medium- the small is like a baby's nasal bulb and the large takes up too much camera bag space.

Benro A48F Classic Monopod with Aluminum Flip Lock Leg
Benro A48F Classic Monopod with Aluminum Flip Lock Leg
Price: $73.00
8 used & new from $49.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, inexpensive monopod, December 26, 2010
I'm a long-time Manfrotto consumer and decided to take a chance on this new product from Benro. My criteria:
1) Lightweight
2) >5 feet extended and <= 20 inches folded
3) Flip-lock levers
4) Excellent quality

This product squeaks past my desired folded size at 20.9 inches but everything else is on the mark. The monopod feels and looks nicely machined and is well balanced. The "pod foot" is a nice bonus I initially wasn't seeking but it really helps to stabilize the shot. If the foot is rotated up, this product can be used with a monopod holster, though not as easily as without.

I've used both flip-lock and twist style extenders and prefer flip-locks. A matter of taste...

I'm using this monopod with a Manfrotto 496RC2 compact ball head and Pentax K5 DSLR both with and without the optional BG4 battery grip. I hook the tripod to the side of my Domke F-2 bag with some loops I installed.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with this product and would purchase again.

Note that this product is made in China - it's not mentioned anywhere as far as I can tell.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7