Profile for David Miles > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Miles RSS Feed (Arkansas)

Factory-Reconditioned SKIL 5680-01-RT 7-1/4-Inch Laser Circular Saw
Factory-Reconditioned SKIL 5680-01-RT 7-1/4-Inch Laser Circular Saw
Offered by VMInnovations
Price: $56.49
2 used & new from $48.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, reconditioned = looks brand new, December 26, 2012
I was hesitant to buy a reconditioned tool, but I went ahead and bought this one. Needless to say, it looks brand new and performs great! For the price, I got a great deal and a better saw than what a new one would cost at this same price range.

I don't use it everyday since I'm a hobbyist woodworker, but the several times I have used it, it's performed flawlessly and I highly recommend it.

JessEm 4100 Router Fence
JessEm 4100 Router Fence

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice fence, just needs design improvements, April 23, 2012
I rely heavily on reviews found on Amazon when purchasing products and was surprised this didn't have any. I took a gamble anyways and bought it. I'm quite pleased with it, although it definitely could benefit from some minor design improvements.

CONS
* The Fence Height - This is among the shortest fences I've seen so far. Just under 3 inches tall, it doesn't offer much support for taller work pieces. This was nearly a deal breaker for me, but I decided to go with it anyways when weighing my options. A height extension would be a great accessory (for the right price if not included).

* Fence Shimming Bars - There's nothing keeping them from sliding right off the back of the fence (where they're stored when not in use) meaning they'll come right off if you tilt your table when transporting/storing. Some sort of resistant pad would've been great to keep them in place until you need them.
Also, when you shim your outfeed face board for jointing, they're a real pain to get back out from behind the face board without nearly taking the face board completely off. A stop to keep them from going completely behind the outfeed board or making the shim a little longer so there's a little hanging out would be great.
Another thought is they aren't marked which side is which, so determining which side is 1/32 and which side is for 1/16 takes a bit more effort than it should.

* Adjustable Bit Guard - It actually tightens against the face boards with a negative clearance, meaning you must loosen it in order to adjust the face boards since it tightens in a bind against them. A spacer behind the bit guard would fix this, but no such spacer is included.

* Mounting Rails - They only accommodate a table up to 1" max, so if you're building your own and laminated 3/4" MDF to make a 1-1/2" top, you'll have to route an indention for the tracks to fit or mount it differently than how it's meant to be mounted. It'll fit a 3/4" top just fine, but for those building a custom-built extra thick top, you'll find these to be a hassle.

* Fence Face Boards - A slight bevel on the outfeed face board's edge would be great! When jointing or running a board that's not perfectly straight, it catches on the edge of the outfeed board frequently. I suppose it's assumed only perfectly sraight-edged material will be ran across it, but if jointing a piece that needs a few passes, it'll catch and add to the danger of working with the router table.

PROS
* Mounting Rails - I really like the side rails instead of the grooves/tracks that most fences tend to use. It makes adding this fence to a custom built table much easier in my opinion. The fence moves smoothly through it when adjusting it and tightens firmly on them.

* Fence Shimming Bars - These are an awesome design concept over the plastic shims other fences use. With a little design improvement, they would be by far the best.

* Dust Port - It fits my Shop-Vac 2-1/2" hose perfectly! This seems to be rare when it comes to dust ports and perhaps dust collection systems use a slightly different connection size than Shop-Vacs do.

CONCLUSION
It's a great fence with minor drawbacks. The main thing I would say matters is the height of the fence compared to what you're needing the fence for. My "CONS" are minor ones (except the fence height) and definitely aren't enough to keep me from purchasing it again. I definitely recommend this fence if it suits what you're needing.
It only got 4 stars due to the minor design flaws, but quality wise it's hands down 5 stars!

Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table
Bosch RA1181 Benchtop Router Table
Offered by FaucetList
Price: $241.43
4 used & new from $199.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Warped tops, tried 2 of them, April 23, 2012
I really wanted this table to work out since I was in favor of the cast aluminum top, meaning it wouldn't rust nor warp if it got damp.
But upon receiving the first one, I immediately checked it with a straight edge to see if it was warped and it sure enough was. I posted a video on Youtube (aVkS2KlORLc) showing this.

I called Bosch and they said they couldn't do anything and for me to just send it back for an exchange. I didn't like this since there's a good chance I'd just get another one from the same batch and it'd have the same defects. Well, sure enough, I got another warped one. I sent both of them back and ended up buying the RA1171, which ended up having a warped router mounting plate. I called Bosch again and they once again told me to take it back and exchange it and they couldn't help.

Since it took me nearly an hour to assemble and I sure didn't feel like dealing with them anymore, I ended up going with the "Build your own" option. It doesn't necessarily come out cheaper, but if done correctly, it'll turn out to be much better quality than the sub-$200 options I found.

Bosch makes great tools from what I've read and experienced, but they apparently sub the manufacturing of their router tables to cheap Chinese manufacturing companies. I found a Craftsman one that was built just like it with different colors, coincidence?

This would be a great table if you're able to find a non-warped top. The fence looked the same as the RA1171 and seems to be good and sturdy.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2013 11:42 AM PST

Kreg KMS7724 12 Self-Adhesive Measuring Tape (Left-Right Reading)
Kreg KMS7724 12 Self-Adhesive Measuring Tape (Left-Right Reading)
Price: $10.97
6 used & new from $7.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for router table build!, April 23, 2012
I ordered two of these for a router table I made. I wanted to be able to quickly set my fence, so I bought one of these for each side of the table.
I didn't pay attention to the fact these are 12ft. long, so I had plenty to spare for other uses too!

It's only 1/64th inch thick, so if you're wanting to route a groove so it'll be flush with the table top, it'll be tedious. One note of caution: DON'T UNROLL it until ready for use! The backing paper will come off if you straighten it out since it's stuck on to accommodate the tape being rolled up.

These are great and I definitely recommend them.

Norton 24335 Japanese-Style Combination Waterstone 220/1000 Grit, 8-Inch by 3-Inch by 1-Inch
Price: $38.60
14 used & new from $35.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality stone, would skip waterstones in the future though, April 23, 2012
This stone is quality made and came with a neat plastic case to store it in and sit it on while using it. It has corner retainers on the top to hold your stone in place while using it.

I quickly found the drawback in using waterstones, the wear factor.
The 220 side wore a "dish" in it after honing just one chisel (a new Stanley FatMax) and I realized this stone was going to wear out quick after truing it back up after each use.
I remembered 3M makes a Wet or Dry sandpaper that's much cheaper and so I bought a square foot piece of granite floor tile from a local home improvement store along with some 3M General Purpose Spray Adhesive.
The Wet or Dry paper works GREAT and I've since purchased finer grits of it as well and ditched using the wet-stones all together since they wear fast and are pricey.

The sandpaper method is much easier for me and cheaper, but I suppose it comes down to a matter of preference.

These stones are of good quality, so I can't speak negatively of them, but not sure they're the best route for sharpening chisels/planer blades over using wet or dry sandpaper glued to granite....

BISSELL Cleanview Helix Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Bagless, 82H1
BISSELL Cleanview Helix Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Bagless, 82H1

5.0 out of 5 stars Great design, quieter than Dirt Devil, April 23, 2012
After breaking my Dirt Devil bagless vac (no fault of it's own), I had to find a new vacuum. What I favored about this vacuum was the easy release of the dirt chamber and the better filter design compared to the Dirt Devil. Surprisingly, this vacuum was quite noticeably quieter than the Dirt Devil, yet didn't seem to lack any power in comparison. I thought at first it was weaker since it was so noticeably quieter, but that just wasn't the case.

Assembly was VERY easy, I recall only needing to attach the handle with a single screw and it was pretty much ready to go!
I've been a Dirt Devil loyalist since my Dirt Devil Breeze was still running strong after 5 years before replacing it with a new one, but Bissell has definitely impressed me with this one...

Head First PHP & MySQL
Head First PHP & MySQL
by Michael Morrison
Price: $32.43
128 used & new from $6.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Learning Book I've Ever Bought!, November 3, 2009
This review is from: Head First PHP & MySQL (Paperback)
This was the first HeadFirst book I've ever bought and it was my final choice after trying to decide from several in the book store. And I must say, this was by far the BEST choice!

I've picked up other books in the past when trying to learn PHP and they left me more confused than anything. But the HeadFirst PHP & MySQL actually explains things to where I can understand them instead of just assuming I'll somehow understand it on my own.

I got about half way through the book and was able to venture off writing my own web apps and had the ability to understand more complex functions and syntax. This book was an awesome foundation for beginning PHP!

The reason I left one star off was after a few chapters, they become not-so-clear on where or how to add the code to the work-along scripts and therefore it leaves you using the downloaded ones off their site. I'd rather write it all out myself to help me understand it, practice writing it, and help memorize technicalities of the syntax.

But all in all, this is an awesome book and a great one for anyone serious about wanting to learn PHP.