Profile for almazz > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

almazz "almazz" RSS Feed (West Chester, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Acer Aspire ATC-605-UR14 Desktop (3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4770 Processor, 12GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1) Black

1.0 out of 5 stars System died less than 3 months old, August 20, 2014
System died after less than 3 months. Acer support site is not very useful: difficult to find info and when you do find it, it is not pertinent to the topic.

UPDATE: after some experimentation, I discovered that the PCI-e slot had stopped working. As I was using a DVI video card, that accounted for the blank screen. I was able to use the VGA output but trying another working video card resulted in no output. Both of the cards I tried worked fine in another computer.

Even though the system is less than three months into a one year warranty, I still had to pay $80 for shipping and insurance to Acer's repair facility. Add to that the time required to delete personal data from the hard drive, plus the time it will take to reinstall everything once the computer is returned.

Altogether, not a good experience and for me reason enough to nat purchase another Acer.

27 Watt MyGift Fluorescent Linear Quad Replacement Light Bulb for Light of America Floor Lamp or Desk Lamp
Offered by MyGift
Price: $11.05
6 used & new from $5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not fit fixture, July 11, 2013
The base of this bulb differed from the more expensive version I was replacing. Returned this one and purchased the Verilux bulb from Amazon. The Verilux fit perfectly.

Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Sensitive Skin Lotion SPF, 4 Ounce
Eucerin Q10 Anti-Wrinkle Sensitive Skin Lotion SPF, 4 Ounce
Price: $8.99
15 used & new from $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK product but misleading labeling., June 23, 2013
This is fine as a Sunscreen lotion but the front labeling and description on Amazon is misleading. When you read the Active Ingredients label on the back of the product (which you cannot review in the online product description) you see that this is simply a mild sunscreen.

Again, it is ok as a sunblock, but not how it is advertised.

Janco Lens Hood for Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX zoom len replaces Nikon HB-34 Hood

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than Nikon original, June 2, 2013
I ordered this after the original Nikon lens shade I purchased turned out to fit too loosely. This was less money and fits perfectly.

Cimo HTC One Case [ULTRA SLIM] S-Line Premium Flexible TPU Cover for HTC One (M7, 2013) - Clear
Offered by Cimo Technologies
Price: $9.96
3 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, May 14, 2013
This is a great buy at three times the price. Actually, the least expensive case I saw when I purchased the HTC One a few weeks ago was three times the price and not nearly as good looking.

This case fits the HTC One perfectly. It adds very little bulk to the phone and is very comfortable to hold. While not completely clear, it is transparent enough to not hide the beautiful finish on the phone.

Also, the cutouts are all the correct size and line up exactly. In addition, the power button is not blocked by the case. There is a cutout for it so the IR blaster works fine.

The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life
by Timothy Ferriss
Price: $21.00
195 used & new from $6.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Another home run for Mr. Ferriss, February 8, 2013
This is a good companion to Ferriss's last book "The 4-hour Body." In addition to reading it, you can use it as an exercise weight. It is quite substantial.

In all seriousness, this is a book that was put together will a great deal of care. Not only is it well written, the subjects covered are wide ranging and the photographs are outstanding.

Invicta Men's 11252 Ceramics Chronograph Black Dial Black Leather Watch
Invicta Men's 11252 Ceramics Chronograph Black Dial Black Leather Watch
Offered by A Bargain Now
Price: $174.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Warranty is Worthless, Watch is Fine, February 8, 2013
The watch itself is fine. It keeps excellent time and the fit and finish are well executed. However, you should be prepared to just throw it away when it breaks. Why ? See next......

I purchased this Invicta as a replacement for my previous Invicta of a different model. I was very satisfied with it, but one day on of the small hands fell off and was "floating" around under the crystal. It was one of several watches I own and did not see hard use. Since it was well within the full warranty period, I was not concerned. When I went online to file a warranty claim this is what I discovered:

I would have to pay the postage to send the watch back to Invicta. Fair enought.
They wanted me to send them a check for $28 to cover return postage back to me. This is where I said "wait a minute." Postage both ways will be over 1/3 the cost of the entire watch.
Plus, the repair time quoted was 3 to 4 MONTHS.
One more thing, if Invicta determined the problem wasn't covered under warranty (and they don't specify what the circumstance would be that would determine this) there would be a minimum $35 repair charge.

Since I did like the watch, it made no sense to me to end up paying close to the price of a new watch to get back a repaired one that was a year old. I just ordered a new one.

So, if you are fine with the prospect of throwing your watch away if it breaks, this is a good buy.

Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite for Canon Nikon Sony Panasonic Olympus Fujifilm Pentax Sigma Minolta Leica and Other SLR Digital SLR Film SLR Cameras and Digital Cameras with single-contact Hot Shoe
Price: $35.28
29 used & new from $28.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Manual Flash, September 9, 2012
INTRO:

Equipment used to test - Nikon D3100, Nikon SB-700, Yongnuo Wireless Triggers.
I tested this in the studio and did NOT test it on the camera body.

My basic setup used the Neewer and the SB700 in manual mode. Each mounted on a Yongnuo transceiver. Another Yongnuo was used on the D3100 and a fourth Yongnuo used as a wireless shutter release.

ITEM AS DESCRIBED:

The TT560 feels solid and appears to be well made. The finish on the body is unblemished and there are no rough edges.
The battery door closes securely and all the buttons work without undo pressure.
The power level LED lights are easy to read.

PROS:

While not as powerful as the SB700, the Neewer was more than adequate in the studio (dimensions 19'x12'x10' ceiling). With the Neewer and SB700 on light stands, I alternated each between the main light and fill light. The Neewer performed well in both setups.

It is easy to adjust the Neewer's power seetings with a simple pair of + and - buttons. On 100% power, the flash recycled in a few seconds with multiple exposures. The manual states that the thermal cut off will kick in after aproximately 20 full-power flashes. I shot in excess of this number without any problems. The flash felt warm, but not to hot to hold.

The light pattern seemed to be very uniform, with no apparent hot spots. The flash does not have a zoom, but that was not a concern for me.

I did not test the flash's S1 and S2 modes as I will be using it exclusively with the wireless triggers.

CONS:

Really none for my uses.

VALUE:

I purchased this on Amazon for just under $40 including Prime shipping. If you don't need TTL or a Zoom feature, this is an excellent value.

WOULD RECOMMEND:

Yes, I would definitely recommend this to a friend.

2 PACKS Replacement rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack for Nikon EN-EL14 Nikon Coolpix P7000
Offered by 33 Street Camera
Price: $27.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Batteries for $12 vs. One Battery for $50, August 27, 2012
I purchased this 2-pack from on Amazon from ATC for $12.07. No shipping charge. B&H sells a stock Nikon EL14 for $49.95.

I bought these batteries considering the possibility that they would be useless. But I was curious to see how a $6 battery would stand
up in comparison to a $50 one. Previously, I had a good experience with a 3rd party battery charger I bought as a backup. It was a
fraction of the price of the Nikon charger, and has functioned with no problems.

ITEM AS DESCRIBED:
The batteries are close in appearance to the Nikons and the stated specifications are the same.

ARRIVED ON TIME:
My package arrived quicker than promised.

PROS:
They charged in about the same amount of time as my two stock EL14's. Running through some test shots using the built in flash and
live view turned on to drain the batteries as fast as possible, they seem to hold a charge well. I'll update this review at a later date if
that proves not to hold up long term.

CONS:
The only negative is that you can't use these directly in your camera, as the stock battery is chipped and the camera is programmed
not to accept non-Nikon ones.

However, this was not a negative for me, as I intended to use these in the Neewer battery grip I just purchased from Amazon for my D3100.
As some reviewers have stated, and you can see if you search YouTube, it's a simple proceedure getting these batteries to work in an accessory
battery holder/grip. It takes about a minute and all you need in addition to the grip is one stock Nikon battery.

VALUE:
$12 for $100 worth of batteries. I don't think this requires added comment. If I get a year's worth of use from these, it was completely
worth it.

WOULD RECOMMEND:
I would absolutely recommend this to a friend. (I purchased these from ATC. There are other sellers of this product on Amazon but I
have no idea if the other batteries are the same as these.)

Professional Vertical Battery Grip Holder for Nikon D3100 SLR Digital Camera EN-EL14 Battery
Price: $26.23
11 used & new from $21.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth much more than I paid, August 24, 2012
This just arrived a few days ago. While I haven't had a chance to take it out for a shoot yet, I did play around with it in my studio.

ITEM AS DESCRIBED:
As some of the previous reviewers have mentioned, the look and feel of the grip is not an exact match to the D3100. However, it is close
enough not to be a glaring mismatch. And while the plastic is a bit on the thin side, it is more than acceptable.

ARRIVED ON TIME:
My order arrived a day early and in excellent condition.

PROS:
Nikon doesn't make a battery grip/holder for this model, so all your choices are third party. After reading all the reviews I could find, I
saw no reason to go with another model selling for more than twice as much.

While some buyers report that the battery door rattles, my seems to fit well and closes securely.

The short wire connector between the grip and the camera body does not get in the way noticeably and looks like it will last.

Since this is a somewhat small camera, the extra size adds a feeling of stability.

CONS:
The grip is not a perfect fit to the body. Even when fully tightened against the body there is a slight gap on one side.

VALUE:
Hard to beat the price. (I paid around $20 including shipping.) I purchased this and two 3rd party replacement batteries for less than
the cost of one Nikon brand battery.

WOULD RECOMMEND:
I would definitely recommend this to a friend.

Page: 1 | 2