Profile for Smurf > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 74

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Smurf RSS Feed (Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Audio-Technica ATH-T200 Closed-Back Dynamic Monitor Headphones with 40mm Driver - Black
Price: $27.24
38 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good headphone at a good price for the studio, February 21, 2015
First off what these are NOT....they are NOT anywhere near as smooth as the ATH-M40fs, M40d's or M50's (which I own). The high mid's and up are "jagged" sounding on a lot of material. The separation is also slightly "choked" sounding & not as expansive as the ones mentioned. The cabling exiting the ear cups is pretty thin with almost zero strain relief.

What these ARE....as comfortable as the above mentioned models, similar non-exaggerated low & low mid's, pretty smooth vocal - speech 800-3k range. Very easy to drive with a laptop soundcard. Pretty good isolation from outside noise. Frequency response is pretty even at most volumes.

The complaints about no low end is not really accurate, the low end on these are pretty much as true as the recording, no artificial boost to make it sound exciting. The harsh high end mostly goes away when listening to REAL audio wave files. When you listen to mp3-ogg the highs ARE harsh due to the compression scheme, APE and Flacs are much better in this regard.

Would I trust these to do mix downs in my studio like I do the M40fs or M50's at times? No, I would not. They are the best headphones I have heard in the below $30 price range by far, but are not accurate enough to trust to do heavy lifting. Would I use them for tracking? Absolutely, they are isolated enough & sound fine for this. Would I use these as everyday listing headphones? You bet!

I have been a Audio Technica fan for decades, and these cheap cans do not change that at all.

**Update 2-24-15**

The last 2 days I was in the studio and got to use some of the better Sony headphones side by side with these, and truth be told for the money I would get these over any of the "top of the line" sony's I used these last few days...really....

I am shocked at how much better the low end & low mids are. I was tracking a Yamaha e-kit and rock rhythm guitars.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H300/B Compact Zoom Digital Camera in Black + Sony 32GB Class 10 Secure Digital Memory Card + Carrying Case + 4 AA Rechargeable Batteries w/ Charger + Accessory Kit
Offered by Focus Camera
Price: $239.00
2 used & new from $239.00

3.0 out of 5 stars The GE X500 is a better deal IMHO, January 11, 2015
Nice, full package.......but......

The GE x500 takes as good of pics and is around $50 used on ebay most days, $130 new most places. It is only 16x zoom and 16mb sensor, but it also takes AA batteries and has the full range of manual settings.

The best "bridge" camera out there IMHO......

GE X500 16MP 15x Optical/6x Digital Zoom HD Camera Black [Camera]
GE X500 16MP 15x Optical/6x Digital Zoom HD Camera Black [Camera]

4.0 out of 5 stars Grab this ahead of any pocket P&S, September 23, 2014
I was tired of taking pictures with my Insignia 12mp 1080p camcorder for the last year or so, and wanted to step up some. Tho the pictures were absolutely fine, it is fully auto, period. It is a great Full HD 1080p camcorder that you can pick up for less than $100 most days on eBay, but very restrictive for photos.

I wanted more control over the usual stuff and decided to go looking for a low cost used DSLR. My sis & bro-in-law are pros at this stuff, having the whole 9 yards years ago, including their own dark room, so I do know a little about what to look for in a DSLR.

After a few months of looking & learning I settled on a 'Bridge” camera, and even tho a lot of reviews were not flattering to the GE X500, this was the only bridge DSLR camera that had most every Manual Setting that a “real” DSLR has, minus Manual Focusing & the ability to change Len's.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Attached is a link to a Flicker Album with a few of my first days efforts, shot using just the Scene pre-sets.

[...]
I have to say that this used $53 eBay Camera is a winner so far. Over the last few days I have learned most of the manual settings, plus the one HUGE downfall of this camera...it eats batteries for Breakfast, Lunch, AND Dinner! In 2 days I have gone thru 4 packs of brand new Rayovac & one pack of Duracell Alkaline's. The Manual says 300 shots with Alkaline, try 139-146 tops.

Rechargeable are in my future for sure.

I can not see any reason to grab ANY P&S over this one, even if the pictures are better. Why? Because with the GE X500 you can learn real-world manual settings that will transfer if / when you decided to step up to a “Pro” DSLR.

As for video, it sucks...not even acceptable for you tube. Way too grainy, too much mechanical noise in the audio,etc,etc....really, it sucks!

Bottom line, this GE X500 is one of those hidden items that delivers far above it's price or name. Like the Peavey T-60, grab them before folks find out what a gem they are!

120 Patterns for Traditional Patchwork Quilts
120 Patterns for Traditional Patchwork Quilts
by Maggie Malone
114 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Some classic designs are here!, September 23, 2014
Some good info here!

GE Power Pro X500-BK 16 MP with 15 x Optical Zoom Digital Camera, Black (OLD MODEL)
Offered by DiscountsJungle
Price: $119.99
24 used & new from $50.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Grab this ahead of any pocket P&S....really...., September 23, 2014

After a few months of looking & learning I settled on a 'Bridge" camera, and even tho a lot of reviews were not flattering to the GE X500, this was the only bridge DSLR camera that had most every Manual Setting that a "real" DSLR has, minus Manual Focusing & the ability to change Len's. The other downfall is it does not shoot RAW, only .jpeg, so doing HDR is close to impossible.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Attached is a link to a Flicker Album with a few of my first weeks efforts, shot using both the Scene pre-sets & Manual functions.....

Rechargeable are in my future for sure.

I can not see any reason to grab ANY P&S over this one, even if the pictures are better. Why? Because with the GE X500 you can learn real-world manual settings that will transfer if / when you decided to step up to a "Pro" DSLR.

Lost Art of Country Bass Book/CD
Lost Art of Country Bass Book/CD
by Keith Rosier
Price: $15.87
52 used & new from $11.74

5.0 out of 5 stars THE way to learn authentic Country Bass, August 30, 2014
You want to learn authentic Country Bass, this is the book to grab hands down. Besides playing styles, it also includes equipment & tone tips.

Velbon QB-4W Quick Release Platform
Velbon QB-4W Quick Release Platform
Offered by Jia Taizhe Company
Price: $8.20
12 used & new from $8.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a drop in replacement for a Ambico V-0542, August 30, 2014
I bought this item from Mel Pierce Camera (HIGHLY Recommended!) for a Ambico V-0542 Tripod I got for cheap. The head felt great, and some reviews said this fit it, so I took the chance.

This plate does NOT fit the V-0542 Tripod head without some semi-serious sanding along the SIDES of the plate. The Ambico has straight sides along the Length of the pocket, where this plate has angled. Front-To-Back fit absolutely find, just the sides need some work.

Take your time and it will drop right in. It took me about 20min with some medium grit sandpaper to get it right.

Overall this is a solid piece of plastic that has a textured wheel to grab a hold of, along with a slot, to attache the camera.

Life Application New Testament Commentary (Life Application Bible Commentary)
Life Application New Testament Commentary (Life Application Bible Commentary)
by Bruce B. Barton
Price: $19.88
46 used & new from $7.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like the Life Application Notes in your Bible....., July 25, 2014
Against my better judgement I grabbed this because it was absolute cheap. I am VERY leery of the Life Application Notes included in most bibles, mainly because they are SO off in parts. Just reading the Word that these comments refer to ON THE SAME PAGE is, a lot times, a "What?!!!" moment...they will absolutely be 180deg opposite of what God's Word plainly says, no matter what version of the Bible is used.

That said, and like I have said before, this is basically the same notes included in the LAB's, just expanded some...and even tho they have more room to get things right, they do not.

This, and the full Life Application Commentary Series, is OK IF you like the LA notes in your Bible, but for anyone else I would say skip them. If you use the NLT version of the Bible the Cornerstone Commentary is a MUCH better series than the LA one by far....save your hard earned $$$ and buy those IMHO....

iLumina Gold Premium Upgrade
iLumina Gold Premium Upgrade
by Visual Book Productions
Edition: CD-ROM

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait...., June 16, 2014
I originally bought the Gold version back in 2004 with the Guide Book, and have been a very happy user. Like most folks I was disappointed that they makers never did fulfill their promise of more animations, but hey, it was still a good study program.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I received the Premium Upgrade I finally found for a fair price. It is like I have a totally new program! LOT'S of extras, and all are perfect upgrades to the main Gold program....I can see this getting used more than it has been the last 10 years, if that is possible.

I have loaded it on an old iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1GB memory, with OSX 10.5.8, a P4 1.2GHz, a 2.10GHz Core2Duo Dell Laptop, a 1.60GHz Core2Duo Toshiba Laptop, and some beefy desktops, and it runs fine on all of them.

The ONLY problem I have is that it uses the NLT Second Edition, which changes SOME stuff for the better, but a lot of the NLT updates are just foolish....thus only 4 stars. Do a search on the differences & see what I mean.

I have seen the Premium Gold on eBay for as low as $5 (there is one on there as of today) so there really is no reason not to grab iLumina & see what all the fuss was about.

And if you have an earlier version I would not hesitate to recommend updating to the Premium, if you liked the software before you will love it after the update!

Planet Waves Thumb Picks, Large, 5 Pack
Planet Waves Thumb Picks, Large, 5 Pack
Price: $3.59
15 used & new from $2.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really a Large & Thin compared to others..., March 10, 2014
I would place them as a "oversized Medium", but in NO way are they a Large compared to Nationals, Fenders, Dunlop, etc. They were easy to adjust, so no problems there.

They are also thinner than the others, about a Dunlop Nylon .73mm, which I like a lot. Easy to file & speed pick with.

Overall for the price they are a great buy IMHO.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8