Profile for Evelyn Getchell > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 229

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Evelyn Getchell RSS Feed (Bradenton, Florida)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Men's Grateful Dead Skeleton Socks (Size 10-13)
Men's Grateful Dead Skeleton Socks (Size 10-13)

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep Truckin' - like the doodah man, August 1, 2015
I purchased these beautifully made Grateful Dead Dancing Skeletons socks as a gift - from the heart of one Deadhead to the heart of another - and let me tell you they are just too hip.

These so cool socks are a licensed Grateful Dead product and they are really highest quality. They are made of 80% cotton and 20% nylon and are oh so soft. The colors are vibrant and the skeletons vivid and sharp.

I'm an old Deadhead hippie chick from way back and I wish these men's socks fit me because I wouldn't be able to resist keeping them for myself otherwise. I can still see my old lady dancing feet doing the hippie twirl down the street in these so very dear-to-me Dancing Skeletons.

Keep Truckin' - like the doodah man
Together - more or less in line
Just keep Truckin' on
-Robert Hunter

Jag Jeans Women's Amelia Pull-On Ankle Twill, Black, 4
Jag Jeans Women's Amelia Pull-On Ankle Twill, Black, 4

5.0 out of 5 stars The fit and style is so perfect for me - I actually feel sexy in these, July 31, 2015
This is absolutely the best fitting pant in my closet! And it makes me feel sexy because when wearing it I actually have a bootay!

Hey, girls...If you are reading this review because you are wondering how these cute pull-on ankle Jag Jeans fit, let me tell you that I, as a skinny little woman of a certain age whose figure has changed with my years, think the fit is absolutely perfect! I love Jag Jeans! I really do. Amelia is my new favorite. And here is why:

- I have no butt and size 4 fits so well and is so flattering - when wearing a pair of Amelia's I feel like a young chick again!
- I love pull-up pants because I have never liked tucking in my shirts. Nor do I like wearing belts. So this pant is perfect and shows no bumps or bulges from a zipper or belt loops (or waist draw strings).
- I luxuriate in the comfort of its cotton. There is a small amount of spandex to provide a little give where you need it - for me in the knees.
- The twill fabric is high quality and the workmanship flawless. The embroidery on the back pockets is very nice too.
- The wide elasticized waist band suits me well. I have IBS and often must deal with consequential abdominal bloating and this waist band fits me like a glove on my bad days as well as my good.
- The ankle length is perfect, particularly for the shorter women!
- They are definitely not your old lady pull-ups! No. They are stylish and sexy. Now all I will wear is Jag Jeans pull-ups!

There is not a thing I dislike about this pant. I'm so pleased with the style and fit of these Jag Jeans Amelia's, I will definitely be buying myself a few more pairs. I'm so glad I found them here at Amazon.

Kuchenprofi Stainless Steel Tamper/ Pusher, 2.75cm
Kuchenprofi Stainless Steel Tamper/ Pusher, 2.75cm
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect companion to the Kucheprofi 3-inch food ring molds, July 30, 2015
I recently purchased this Kuchenprofi stainless steel tamper to specifically use with my Kuchenprofi 4-Piece 3-Inch Food prep/Plating/Forming Rings in 18/10 Stainless Steel. It is the perfect companion to the set of 3-inch rings.

I use the food rings for pre-cooking my homemade gluten free vegan English muffins in a skillet and once the muffins are cooked and browned on both sides I use the tamper, which fits perfectly within the ring, for gently pushing the muffin and removing it from the ring, then transferring the pre-cooked muffin to a baking sheet for final baking in the oven. Believe me, this tamper makes removal from the ring so much easier.

The tamper is also perfect for creating stacked and layered desserts and appetizers as well as many raw food presentations.

Like all Kuchenprofi kitchen tools, this stainless steel tamper of highest quality is made in Germany.

Price: $24.54
4 used & new from $23.44

5.0 out of 5 stars I sure do love me my nooks and crannies!, July 30, 2015
Oh how I enjoy a good English muffin and this set of four Kuchenprofi 3-Inch Food prep/Plating/Forming Rings in 18/10 Stainless Steel and my favorite cast iron skillet are how I accomplish baking my own delicious and healthy gluten free vegan English muffins at home. For those of you who are also gluten free vegans I found the best English muffin recipe in Erin McKenna's Bread & Butter: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes to Fill Your Bread Basket. And the Kuchenprofi's are the absolute best ring molds to bake them with!

These rings like all Kuchenprofi kitchen tools are made in Germany for the professional chef or any discriminating home cook who prefers only the highest quality kitchen tools. Yes this set is expensive (especially when compared to made-in-China tin-plated Fox Run Set of Four English Muffin Rings for example) but as far as I am concerned the food I prepare in my home kitchen is worth it.

These 3-inch ring molds are 2 inches deep and are very versatile and a wonderful tool for expanding your kitchen creativity. Beside baking the perfect English muffin or crumpet, they can also be used as egg rings for cooking perfectly round 3-inch eggs for English muffin sandwiches. They can be used for easy plating and stylish food presentation, especially essential for raw food preparation. They also serve well as cookie or biscuit cutters. And too they are great for portion control.

Since I like to bake more than 4 English muffins at one time, I bought two sets of Kuchenprofi's with an Amazon gift card I recently received...and I couldn't be happier! I was really thrilled to find this set of ring molds and an accompanying Kuchenprofi Stainless Steel Tamper/ Pusher, 2.75cm here at Amazon.

I sure do love me my nooks and crannies!

Robin Robertson's Vegan Without Borders: Easy Everyday Meals from Around the World
by Robin Robertson
Price: $22.29
58 used & new from $19.31

5.0 out of 5 stars I can proclaim without a single quibble that every recipe is a vibrant success, July 28, 2015
I purchased Robin Robertson's marvelous VEGAN WITHOUT BORDERS cookbook when it was first released some months ago and now that I have studied it from cover to stunning cover and have tried so many of her extraordinary, culturally diverse recipes - I can proclaim without a single quibble that every recipe is a vibrant success. I am thrilled to give this wonderful, wonderful vegan cookbook my solid 5 star rating.

I live for ethnic food and this international cookbook is such a treasure! I can tell you honestly and enthusiastically that this brilliant book is truly an exciting celebration of tastes from around the globe... Europe (Italy, France, Spain and Portugal, Greece, Eastern Europe, the British Isles), the Americas (the USA, Mexico,the Caribbean, South America), Africa, the Middle East, India, Asia (China, Thailand, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Southeast Asia Islands). What's more, this book offers sound nutrition, moderate use of fats, excellent food combining and bright, interesting flavors! Almost every recipe has an interesting and informative recipe note and the food photography is definitely worthy of an OMG!

I can enjoy any of these recipes without guilt or indigestion! With their interesting, lively flavors I find them truly inspiring and extremely appealing. I have been a vegetarian since the 70s, a vegan since the 90s, and a gluten-free vegan for the past ten years or so. I've also worked in professional food service for many, many of those years so the vegetarian kitchen is not new to me, nor is it a challenge, but I think this book is as wonderful for the inexperienced cook as it is for the accomplished one.

It is said that "the proof is in the pudding" and Robin's "pudding" proves to be flawless. Her recipes are so well tested that every one is truly easy and fail-proof. Each recipe is written clearly and precisely so that the inexperienced will not be daunted by any of them. Robin also provides a lot of helpful and interesting information which should put the inexperienced cook at ease. The recipes are unique and sophisticated enough to keep the accomplished vegetarian cook from the boredom of repetition as well.

This book is well organized and cross reference is easy. The Indexes and resources are also excellent, providing a wealth of comprehensive information - recipes by categories of gluten free, soy free, low oil/no oil, and quick and easy; menus; glossary of ingredients; metric conversions and equivalent.

The book itself is really beautiful and a publication of highest quality. At first because the book is so attractive I displayed it on my coffee table whenever I wasn't using it in the kitchen. But soon I had to remove it to my cookbook shelf because the food photography was just making me too darn hungry. I think I gained five pounds from just looking at the pictures of the recipes!

So, my vegan friends, do yourself a flavor, oops I meant favor, and expand your horizons with this extraordinary vegan cookbook. Bon appetit!

The Complete Coconut Cookbook: 200 Gluten-free, Grain-free and Nut-free Vegan Recipes Using Coconut Flour, Oil, Sugar and More
by Camilla V. Saulsbury
Price: $20.35
49 used & new from $13.89

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best gluten-free vegan cookbooks on my shelf, July 27, 2015
For over three decades I have embraced a vegan lifestyle and during those many years I have collected many fine vegan cookbooks. THE COMPLETE COCONUT COOKBOOK has certainly become one of my favorites considering that I think I was a coconut in one of my past lives.

But there is a practical reason beside my passion for the coconut why I love this cookbook so much and that is because I suffer from celiac disease and cannot consume gluten in any of its incarnations. Coconut flour has come to my rescue in so much of my gluten-free baking and cooking and Camilla Saulsbury's brilliant cookbook has become one of my lifelines, my go-to source for putting to incredibly healthy and tasty use the many coconut products that grace my pantry.

Camilla is a masterful food writer and recipe developer and this gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free vegan cookbook demonstrates her authority over the health benefits of coconut products. And she does so with panache and polish. Even though I've been vegetarian for many, many years and have also worked in professional food service for most of them, the gluten-free vegan kitchen is not a new concept to me, nor is it a challenge. But Camilla's book is as practical for the inexperienced cook as it is for the accomplished one.

I like to apply the quote "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" to my favorite cookbooks and let me tell you that eating Camilla's "pudding" for me has proven every time to be well-tested and fail-proof, easy and reliable, nourishing and delicious.

Her recipes are written clearly and precisely so that the inexperienced will not be daunted by any of them. Camilla also provides so much helpful and interesting information that she puts even the most inexperienced cook or baker at ease. She demystifies the use of coconut products such as coconut flour, oil, sugar, milk and water. And she blows the myths and faulty nutritional information about the humble coconut. Her recipes are diverse and sophisticated enough to keep the accomplished vegan cook from the boredom of repetition.

This cookbook book is also well organized and cross reference is made easy. The References and Index are excellent and comprehensive. In fact, I love the way Camilla has organized these recipes by breakfast, beverages, breads and muffins, salads, soups, stews and chilis, main dishes, side dishes, cookie and cakes, pies, puddings and other desserts.

I love reading healthy and culturally diverse cookbooks and I can promise you that this is one of the very best on my cookbook shelf. It's one of those cookbooks that you can open to any page and find a wealth of information as well as simple and dependable recipes that put the health benefits of the coconut into almost every meal or dessert.

I give you both my thumbs up for THE COMPLETE COCONUT COOKBOOK. I encourage you who are reading this review - gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, vegan or not - to embark on an exciting culinary adventure and explore the healthy and flavorful world of the versatile coconut.

Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen: Traditional and Creative Recipes for the Home Cook
by Richa Hingle
Price: $11.49
52 used & new from $9.71

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read it from cover to cover; now I am cooking from it cover to cover, July 22, 2015
I've been a vegan for over three decades and finding VEGAN RICHA'S INDIAN KITCHEN by Richa Hingle was a stroke of my vegan good karma!

This book is an Indian culinary adventure exploring the many Indian states with their own cuisines and specialties. It takes me to an ethnic gastronomic nirvana every time I open it. It is soulful. It is transformative. It is creative. It is fresh, healthy, and culturally complex. And it is an enlightening and inspiring reading experience as well! When I first got this book I stayed up late, way past my normal bedtime, reading from cover to cover this masterfully written cookbook with its beautifully photographed recipes. Now I try to cook from it cover to cover!

Because the recipes generally yield four to six servings, while perfect for the family or for entertaining - and trust me, even the most stubborn non-vegetarian will enjoy this vegan Indian cuisine - I don't mind preparing these recipes for my lone self whenever I feel like playing in my kitchen in order to satisfy those cravings for my favorite Indian dishes. It's so great to have those leftovers to look forward to! And so much better than the local Indian restaurants.

As a sufferer of celiac disease, I am particularly thrilled with all of Richa's delicious gluten-free options. I thought I died and went to heaven when I had my first gluten-free Gulab Jamun, a doughnut soaked in a raw sugar syrup that I adore. And Richa's recipes for gluten-free naan and chia rotis knock my socks off.

This superb cookbook is a testament that the foods of the various Indian traditions, which generally are rich with dairy products (especially ghee), can be naturally healthy without sacrificing flavors and soulfulness.

Now I can cook North Indian cuisine (among others) almost as good as my vegetarian Punjabi girlfriends and spiritual sisters.

Teff Love: Adventures in Vegan Ethiopian Cooking
Teff Love: Adventures in Vegan Ethiopian Cooking
by Kittee Berns
Price: $12.90
55 used & new from $10.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Run, don't walk to this phenomenal ethnic vegan adventure, July 22, 2015
Because I live for culturally diverse food, TEFF LOVE by Kittee Berns has become one of my best loved ethnic vegan cookbooks. I devoured this book from cover to cover, so completely immersed in spice and Injera, Kay Wot, Alicha Wot and Shiro - I barely came up for air. There is such a wealth of ethnic riches contained in these pages that it is truly a rewarding reading experience. Now I can hardly wait to get back to my kitchen and this cookbook and continue cooking from it cover to cover.

Even though I live alone and have no other vegan to cook for, I still enjoy cooking from this book for just myself, whenever the frequent mood for Ethiopian flavor and nutrition strikes me. Many of these recipes are even better the next day, so a simple batch of stew or vegetable can keep me happy for more than one meal. I love it all and have not come across a single recipe yet that I wouldn't cook again, and again, and again. Best of all they are simple recipes and even the inexperienced vegan cook can enjoy success with these well tested recipes.

I encourage you who are reading this review, vegan or not, to run, don't walk to an exciting culinary adventure with the remarkable Chef Kittee as your captain and explore the rich culinary landscape of Ethiopa. This phenomenal cookbook is proof that the foods of the Ethipoa can be vegan, nourishing and exciting without ever sacrificing their exotic flavor and natural flare.

Jag Jeans Women's Felicia Pull-On Colored Crop, White, 4
Jag Jeans Women's Felicia Pull-On Colored Crop, White, 4
Price: $24.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, stylish, flattering, comfortable and a perfect fit too!, July 22, 2015
Hey, girls...If you are reading this review because you are wondering how these cute pull-on crop Jag Jeans fit, let me tell you that I, as a skinny little woman of a certain age whose figure has changed with my years, think the fit is absolutely perfect! I love this pant. I really do. And here is why:

- I have no butt and size 4 fits a tad large but it still flatters a mature figure.
- I luxuriate in the comfort of 98% cotton. There is a small amount of spandex to provide a little give where you need it - for me in the knees.
- The fabric is high quality and the workmanship flawless. The embroidery on the back pockets is very nice too.
- The wide elasticized waist band suits me. I have IBS and often must deal with consequential abdominal bloating and this waist band fits me like a glove on my bad days as well as my good.
- The mid calf length is good.
- They make me feel sexy even if they could be considered "old lady" pull-ups.

There is not a thing I dislike about this pant. I'm so pleased with the style and fit of these white Jag Jeans Felicia's, a white pant I can wear year round here in Florida, I just bought myself a second pair while they are on sale for less than $25.

Calvin Klein Performance Women's Cargo Cropped Pant
Calvin Klein Performance Women's Cargo Cropped Pant
Price: $47.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Three stars for my mixed feelings, July 21, 2015
I purchased these for an astounding price during a recent Amazon Lightning Deal. My wardrobe has been crying out for new pants and I love cargo pants and only wear 100% cotton, so I was very excited about my order of three different colors of these Calvin Kleins. However, unlike most reviewers here I was somewhat disappointed with them and had to return them because the negatives outweighed the positives for me.

Here's what I liked about them:
- I am a skinny little gal with no booty to speak of and I usually wear a size 4. Size small in these was a perfect fit through the waist and hips.
- 100% cotton, an absolute must with me in my clothing since I cannot tolerate even the smallest measure of polyester against my skin.
- Very comfortable except in the knees.
- The navy, quail and buckwheat colors are lovely.
- The pockets are a nice size and perfectly usable if you need them and if this pant fits you in the knee.
- Well made (even if in China).

Here's what I didn't like about them and why I had to return them:
- The fit through the knees was very weird and restricted normal movement. I couldn't bend my knees or sit without rubbing and this really bothered me. I just knew I'd be wearing out the knees in no time.
- I wouldn't be able to use the pockets because they are situated at the narrow knee.
- The elastic draw string in the ribbed waistband was twisted. I hate when draw strings do that.
- The cotton had a chemical smell, is shiny and squeaked when I moved (probably because of the fabric sizing).
- They will require ironing to look their best.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20