Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for Mike > Reviews

Browse

Mike's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike "Mike" RSS Feed (Boston, MA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
FRAM CF10134 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter
FRAM CF10134 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter
Price: $17.05
37 used & new from $14.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Added my own activated carbon., January 11, 2016
I got this cabin filter for a local store for my 2013 Accord. I replaced my OEM filter because I started to get a slight musty smell when the weather was damp. This filter fixed the problem.

However about 9 months later I would occasionally get a musty smell again. I decided to test if adding some activated carbon from a pet store which is used for aquarium filters. The air flow in my car is down and the small amount of activated carbon I added fits below the top of the filter and between the sides with space for the air to flow around the small carbon particles. They do not block the filter. Anyway, sometimes the musty smell is still their when I start the car but disappears within 30 seconds.

This filter also has a few less pleats then the OEM filter but it does not seem to be a problem.

4x 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb
4x 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb
Offered by MyGardina
Price: $2.74
10 used & new from $2.74

2.0 out of 5 stars May fall out, November 9, 2012
The connector is just wire and can easily break. The bulb falls out. The bulb's connector wire also shorted the connector and blew the fuse.

A Charlie Brown Christmas - 50th Anniversary of a Peanuts Classic
A Charlie Brown Christmas - 50th Anniversary of a Peanuts Classic
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Christmas App, December 23, 2011
A wonderfull app and is great on my Kindle Fire. I love how you can make the gang skate on the ice pond. Can't wate to show it to my niece. I only gave it 4 stars because it only supports one screen orientation. Other the that, it is a 5 star app.

Updated:
Hey, even the volume control on the record player works, so I updated from 4 to 5 stars. :)

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
44 used & new from $36.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic 7 in Tablet for $199!, December 13, 2011
I notice some recent negative articles from news services and decided to comment on them. I will also give my experience and help you decide should you get a Kindle Fire.

Many of these articles are basted on comments and a report by Mr. Jakob Nielsen. Mr. Nielson comments on the Kindle Fire are interesting in that he states the 7 inch screen of the Fire is too small when compared to the iPad. But a little latter he states the Fire is too heavy and you need the arms of PopEye to hold it. He said nothing about the Fire weighting a lot less the iPad.

One of Mr Nielsen examples of privately concerns was a husband cheating on his wife! #?@

Mr. Nielson report is based on input from only 4 people, at least half of which appear to be Apple fans. According to his Bio, Mr. Nielson is a principal of the Nielsen Norman Group which he co founded with a former VP of Apple computer.

Anyway, should you get a Kindle Fire or not?

The bottom line is, what the user really does with a tablet, not what he think they will do. IMO, today's tablets do not have the computing power of a laptop and I use my laptop for serious computing. For me, and I'm sure many others, the Kindle Fire is an excellent chose for a tablet to supplement a laptop or home computer.

I use my Kindle Fire mostly for the following in the following order:

1. Surfing the internet when I'm on the couch or in bed, I find the size of the KF perfect for this and I have none of the problems Mr Nielsen talks about. I have my FK configured to always use the desk top browse view when a site also has a mobile view. I use my FK horizontal when what I reading span most of the page and use the FK vertically when the web story has ads on the sides of the story. Sometimes links are too close on a web site but I simply zoom it when this happens and I want to link to some place else.

2. Play games. I know this is a waste of time but I do it anyway.

3. Read some eBooks. I am not a big user of eBooks but the FK give be a good size for this.

4. Finish a stream video I was watching on my HD TV when I go to bed.

Typical, electrons are updated about once a year and I expect the Kindle Fire will be the same. However, software is updated more frequency and Amazon will soon (if not by the time you read this) release an update to improve some of the concerns, Including Mr Nielsen concerns about a cheating husband being caught by his wife.

I also found that many of the problems some people have with the fire can be solved if only they read the online documentation. I think this is mostly human nature but may also be because the Kindle Fire opens up the table market to people who are not techno geeks which camp over night and wait hours to get some new, over priced, high tech gadget.

Updated Dec 21 for firmware update 6.2.1:

Firmware update 6.2.1, adds enhancements including enhanced fluidity and performance, improves touch navigation responsiveness and basic Parental Control. I expect more updates with enhancements to be coming including additional Parental Controls.

One of the changes is being able to remove items form the Carousel. Now Mr. Jakob Nielsen and Mr. Norman (former VP at Apple) will no longer have to about worry about cheating husbands being caught by their wifes. :)

I notice Amazon is not calling the wi-fi pw a Parental Control in the description. I think that is because this was a quick fix. That is why it is only a .1 update.

I think they are now working on a more enhanced Parental Control like limiting books and videos basted on content. They may also be working on 1-click with password.

C&E USB to Micro-USB Cable - 6 Ft
C&E USB to Micro-USB Cable - 6 Ft
Offered by deserved-s
Price: $6.00
23 used & new from $0.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Got this for my Kindel Fire, December 10, 2011
I ordered 3 of these for my Kindle Fire. They arrived before my Fire did. I wanted several long ones so I can keep my Fire on charger in different rooms of my home. I have several 10 watts chargers so this was not a problem. The 6 foot lent is very usefull to both use and charge my KF at the same time. The cable also works on my computer where I can see the files on the KF with my computer.

EzFoto 49mm Center Pinch Lens Cap lens cover with lease
EzFoto 49mm Center Pinch Lens Cap lens cover with lease
Offered by MaximalPower USA
Price: $3.95
3 used & new from $3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertied, December 10, 2011
The lens cap was as advertised. It fits the standard zoom lens and the wide angle lens on my Sony Nex-5 camera. The string was a little hard to fasten to the cap but was able to do it with the help of a tweeter. I've lost the lens caps on my two lenses so this is a product I needed. I wanted to see one first. I've just ordered the second one. I would only have saved 1 penny if I ordered two at the same time from the shipper.

Amazon Music with Prime Music
Amazon Music with Prime Music

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not display embedded Post Cast info, December 9, 2011
I'm assuming this is the same music player built into the Kindle Fire. I'm looking for a mp3 player which will display Podcast Info and subtitles embedded within mp3 files as the audio is played. This is not state it does in the descriptions nor was it able to. So I'm giving the neutral ratting of 3. However, the cloud storage works great! I will upgrade to 5 stars should this app be updated to do this. You are welcome to leave a comment to my review should you know of on which does this.

Background info of what I'm looking for:
My Chinese lessons mp3 files have Chinese phonetic, English translation, and Chinese characters along with the audio. This makes them very useful to learn the foreign language. The size of my Kindle Fire is perfect for studding my lessons. However, the KF MP3 player and this app does not do this.

To enable this feature for Windows Media Player, to the following:
Right click screen on WMP, mouse over pop up menu "Lyrics captions subtitles", click "On if available"

To enable this feature on an iPod Touch MP3 player (may be the same for iPhone and iPad), do the following:

Music Player - Free Player
Music Player - Free Player

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not display embedded Post Cast info, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Music Player - Free Player (App)
I'm looking for a mp3 player which will display Podcast Info and subtitles embedded within mp3 files as the audio is played. This app did not state it does in the descriptions nor was it able to. So I'm giving the neutral ratting of 3. I will give a 5 rating when I find an app which does this. You are welecome to leave a comment to my review should you know of on which does this.

Music Player for Android
Music Player for Android

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not display embedded Post Cast info, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Music Player for Android (App)

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2012 1:12 PM PDT

Meridian Player
Meridian Player

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not display embedded Post Cast info, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Meridian Player (App)

Page: 1 | 2