Profile for David E. Woon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David E. Woon RSS Feed

Out of the Darkness (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, Book 3)
Out of the Darkness (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, Book 3)
by Peter David
43 used & new from $14.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the rest of the B5 story (NO SPOILERS), October 31, 2000
With this final volume of the Centauri Prime trilogy, Peter David completes the story of Londo Mollari. I found the first two books in the series to be well-written and completely in tune with the feel of the Babylon 5 universe. But after feeling let down about the conclusion of the PsiCorps trilogy, I wondered if this book would also falter. But it does not. It fills in the gaps and takes us beyond what we've seen in stories like "War Without End" and "In the Beginning." The only negative is that this story wasn't filmed and televised.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2010 12:53 PM PST

Deadly Relations: Bester Ascendant (Babylon 5)
Deadly Relations: Bester Ascendant (Babylon 5)
by J. Gregory Keyes
91 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting biography of a complex character, March 5, 1999
Bester is one of the reasons I got involved in the B5 story during its second season. Assigning that name to a telepath told me that the writer knew and respected classic science fiction. In this book we finally get to see what makes the guy tick. Like most B5 villains, the character is too complicated to write off his evil as simply necessary to the plot. The book explains why we knew this person as Bester rather than as Stephen Dexter, and it does it in such a way to build understanding without expecting sympathy. I am very much looking forward to the final contribution to this trilogy, FINAL RECKONING, which would seem to be poised to tell the story of the Telepath War.

Earthquake Weather (Tor Fantasy)
Earthquake Weather (Tor Fantasy)
by Tim Powers
76 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and overlong, January 15, 1999
I expect great things when I pick up Powers. I've read most of his novels, including hard to find ones like The Drawing of the Dark and Dinner at Deviant's Palace. I expect to learn about some area of mythology while being swept up in the new world he synthesizes from the material. I consider Last Call and The Anubis Gates to be two of the best fantasy books of the last 15-20 years. But it took me three months to force my way through Earthquake Weather. All the parts were there, but it couldn't hold my attention for more than a few pages at a time. Maybe I'm tired of the sameness of Powers's characters and plots, or maybe there was a decent 450-500 page book buried here. Maybe it's because I live in the Bay Area and the sense of place didn't ring true. [e.g. I don't know anyone here that refers to freeways with the definite article. That's an LA thing...] I don't know. I hope there's more enthusiasm in his next effort.

Reasonable Faith: Basic Christian Apologetics
Reasonable Faith: Basic Christian Apologetics
by Winfried Corduan
56 used & new from $2.91

2.0 out of 5 stars This passes as sound argumentation in Christian circles?, May 17, 1998
The subject of Christian apologetics holds a fascination for a small group of believers and nonbelievers. A well-written case for the affirmative suitable for non-scholars on either side would be very welcome. While this book does cover the relevant topics in a logical and coherent sequence, I found many of its arguments to be ill-posed or ineffective, and in a couple of cases, offensive (for example, the author describes two forms of agnosticism, benign and malignant; surely he could have chosen terms with softer connotations). As an example of a poorly reasoned argument, atheism is defined as "the denial of any God whatsoever," an extremely narrow definition. Atheism is then dismissed as unprovable, against human nature, and forced to derive its values from theism. Theism is just as unprovable, against human nature, and derivative. I can appreciate that this book was largely intended for a Christian audience, but I suggest that this purpose might have been served better if the author had sought constructive criticism from someone on the other side of the fence.