Profile for J. Haynes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Haynes RSS Feed (Southern California)

Page: 1 | 2
E2: Intervention Architecture
E2: Intervention Architecture
DVD ~ E2: Intervention Architecture
Price: $14.82
24 used & new from $6.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and important content, but somewhat dry presentation, September 20, 2014
This film is about five projects that have won the Aga Kahn award for architecture. From Wikipedia: "The Aga Khan Award for Architecture (AKAA) is an architectural prize established by Aga Khan IV in 1977. It aims to identify and reward architectural concepts that successfully address the needs and aspirations of Islamic societies in the fields of contemporary design, social housing, community development and improvement, restoration, reuse and area conservation, as well as landscape design and improvement of the environment. It is presented in three-year cycles to multiple projects and has a monetary award, with prizes totalling US$ 1 million."

I found the content of this video to be very interesting, especially since the award attempts to be holistic instead of, as one person in the video put it, relying on mostly visual criteria as many architectural awards do. One interesting quote regarding a clothing factory that won the award is this: "Due to an industrial boom in the last half of the 20th Century, Turkey is strewn with dimly lit, cement laden, and metal clad factory buildings. They litter the edges of every major city across the county. Like most factories, they're environments that do not cater to human well being. Believing that everyone has the right to natural light, fresh air, and adequate space, the building's designers prioritized the well being of its occupants. Thus generating not only happiness, but increased productivity." On the other hand, the presentation of the material is often dry, with mainly clips of dialogue by persons involved with the design or judging of the projects. Many times, one clip of someone talking about the project would be butted right next to the next clip of another person talking about the project, with hardly a pause between them. Many times I found myself wanting to reflect on what was just said, but I was unable to because of the fast pace. I think the filmmakers may have had to fit five projects into an hour film, and so tried to jam as much content as possible into the hour. Because of the dryness, I felt my attention drifting often, and I would have to rewind the film. The was also my experience with the other e2 series films. The content of this series is important and sorely needed for our culture today, but it is really hindered by the delivery.

Original Penguin Men's Knit Argyle Logo Printed Fashion Trunk
Original Penguin Men's Knit Argyle Logo Printed Fashion Trunk
Price: $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange seams on back and tight legs, May 16, 2014
I have a pair of Penguin shorts and really like them so I thought I'd try these. They appear to be good quality and well made. But I realized when I first pulled them on that something was wrong. They have multiple large seams that run along the back and these felt really odd next to my skin, like I would notice them the whole day I was wearing them. And the legs felt strangely tight. These were the M size, which I usually wear. It became clear quickly that these would be uncomfortable to wear the whole day, so back to the store they went.

Seirus Innovation Men's Deluxe Thermax Liners
Seirus Innovation Men's Deluxe Thermax Liners
Price: $8.76 - $8,957.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Could use some improvement in sizing, March 25, 2014
I bought these for use because my regular ski gloves were not keeping my hands warm enough. These did keep my hands warmer, but my fingers still got slightly cold at times in mid 40s weather. The main problem with these is the sizing, it's sort of a two size fits all for adults: S/M or L/XL. The S/M was too small, and the L/XL was too big, but I went with the L/XL as it was the better fit of the two. But I quickly found out that because the liners were to big, the loose material on the liners would bunch up when I stuck my hands in my gloves, and I would have to wiggle and adjust to get it to even out. These also have some large seams that felt a little funny at first, but didn't really bother me after a while. And just FYI, velcro is hungry for these and will eat them if you touch some.

Merrell Men's Barefoot Reach Glove
Merrell Men's Barefoot Reach Glove
Offered by Comet Shoes
Price: $89.45 - $109.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I get excited each time I wear these shoes, July 21, 2013
I bought these to replace an aging pair of another brand that were hot and uncomfortable, and couldn't be happier. The first time I tried these on in the store, I was enthralled by how light they were, it was like wearing nothing at all. And they were super comfortable. I was hooked from the start. I was really happy getting these, because I had spent a lot of time looking for a good comfortable shoe that doesn't look like they belong to your grandpa, and had just come up empty. They fit well, maybe just a tad loose for my foot though. I used to wear sandals a lot for comfort, but now I usually choose these over sandals. These are almost like moccasins, I feel like I could be walking silently thru the forest wearing these. They breath well, I've had no problems with heat.

These shoes look great too, good for casual use or something a little more dressy. They are very low cut, I use no-show socks when I wear these with shorts. The materials all seem good quality. They do take a little time to get used to the barefoot aspect, but after a couple days I was fine. The only strange thing with these is that the sole is very thin and now the back bottom edge of my long pants drag on the ground. I have to roll my pants legs up a little to stop this. I could re-hem my pants, but then they would be too short with other shoes.

Allsop Monitor Stand Redmond - Black (29248)
Allsop Monitor Stand Redmond - Black (29248)
Price: $26.13
86 used & new from $23.01

4.0 out of 5 stars New version fixs some problems, introuduces others, February 1, 2013
This stand has been updated to a new version recently, I have had both the old and new versions of this stand and both have their advantages and drawbacks. The new version was introduced in 2011 according to the Allsop website.

Old version:
This stand looks great and is very stylish, it has two thin, bent, brushed metal legs for support and a grip surface on the top to help hold your monitor in place. There is also a groove in the front to hold pens. It was the best looking stand I found out there when I was looking for stands. There is a problem with this stand though... it's wobbly. If you bump the stand, it will start moving up and down. I never had my monitor fall off, but I was always worried that an earthquake (since I'm in CA) would hit while I was away and the monitor would go flying off.

New version:
I noticed recently that a new version had been introduced, so I went ahead and bought it. When I got it, it did require some assembly and the parts fit together pretty tight so it took some pushing and grunting to get it to fit. It is definitely more sturdy and less wobbly and the Allsop website says it's been re-engineered to support more weight. The description still says it has a grip surface, but it does not have this anymore, just a glossy painted metal surface. But my monitor has rubber pads on the bottom so it doesn't seem to be a problem. The drawback with this is that it doesn't look as sharp as the old version. The legs are now bent rectangular extruded metal tubes painted gray. It looks pretty good in the picture on Amazon, but didn't quite look as good in person. No more groove in the front to hold pens either It's got a somewhat cheaper appearance overall.

Combing best of old and new versions of this stand would be great, but who knows if Allsop is interested putting out another version of this.

Outdoor Research Men's Southback Gloves (Black, Large)
Outdoor Research Men's Southback Gloves (Black, Large)
Price: $70.37
6 used & new from $70.37

3.0 out of 5 stars Fingers got cold in mild ski weather, January 28, 2013
Just used these gloves up at Mammoth for two days of skiing, temperatures were in the 30s, with some gusts of wind occasionally. These gloves seemed good for a while, but my fingers slowly got cold and I ended up balling my hands in the gloves while on the lifts to keep them warm. My cousin had some gloves by another major glove retailer and he said his hands were fine. Like another reviewer said, I'm confused by all the positive reviews these got, maybe Outdoor Research has changed these or got their friends to write 5-star reviews?? The info on the glove packaging said these are rated for -5 to 25 degrees F, but there's no way these would hold up in that weather. On the other hand, they seem well made and have some nice features like a easy cinch system. But these didn't keep my hands warm in mild ski weather, they'll be going back to the store.

Fellowes Office Suites Laptop Riser (8032001)
Fellowes Office Suites Laptop Riser (8032001)
Price: $20.99
63 used & new from $15.34

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job...barely, September 21, 2012
I've had this riser for a few years, and always regretted getting it and not getting something better. It does work for elevating your laptop, it's just cheap construction and poor design. Parts of it almost seem disposable. The rear piece that elevates the tray up or down is a small single plastic piece in the middle, and only supports the middle. So if the laptop is elevated, it's quite unstable and can rock left to right if moved. The front shield that keeps the laptop from sliding forward is pretty flimsy too, and I've often thought it might break if my laptop was heavier. Save your money and get something better.

Clif Crunch Granola Bar, White Chocolate Macadamia, 5 Two-Bar Pouches
Clif Crunch Granola Bar, White Chocolate Macadamia, 5 Two-Bar Pouches
Price: $3.99
11 used & new from $3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty Crunchy Snack, April 6, 2012
I just got these in the mail, and I've enjoyed them, they seem made to compete with Nature Valley Granola Bars. You can definitely taste the white chocolate and macadamia nut in them, they taste similar to the regular white chocolate and macadamia nut Clif Bars, but these are drier. They have a somewhat crumbly texture, so you have to be careful about dropping crumbs, but that's just how granola bars are.

You should be aware that Amazon's title is a little misleading. The Amazon title says "1.5-Ounce, 10 Count" which makes it seem like you get 10, 1.5 oz packages. You actually get 5, 1.5 oz packages, since each individual package has 2 smaller bars inside. The box says "10 Bars" in big print, and then under that in smaller type it says "5 Two-Bar Pouches."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2012 7:42 PM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but connection is a little loose, March 14, 2012
I installed this in about 20 minutes, it plugged in fine to my Pioneer head unit and I get good sound from my iPod. The only issue is that the 3.5mm connection to my iPod is kind of loose. It plugs in and catches, but it slides out with just a little tug. All other 3.5mm plugs I've used on my iPod (ie headphones) are a more solid connection. I'm worried it may pull out when driving, but so far it hasn't happened yet.

Guide to the LEED Green Associate Exam
Guide to the LEED Green Associate Exam
by Michelle Cottrell
Price: $49.79
58 used & new from $26.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Great format and organization, but short on depth, April 9, 2011
I wish Amazon had a 10 star rating system, as I would give this book a 7/10, instead of 3/5. That being said, I got this book based on the reviews written here on Amazon.com, and I'm disappointed to say that the book did not quite meet my expectations. But first the good points about the book. The layout, design, and format are all excellent. The book is inviting to pick up and look through. There are many pictures and side notes, and each page has plenty of white space so the book doesn't look overcrowded with information. The flash cards at the end are a nice extra too. The book also has some useful appendices with information about the LEED rating systems.

Now for the not so good. As one of the main reviews said, this book is great for cramming, but not for comprehension. Many times while reading the book, I found myself wanting more explanation on topics, as I just didn't feel like I understood some points. It treats some topics superficially and sometimes there is just a brief side note on things. I like to really understand what I'm reading and learning about, and not just memorize it, so that was a constant frustration for me. But some topics are dealt with throughly enough that I felt like I really understood it. I'd say about half were this way. I also noticed many times that a practice question would ask something that was not covered at all in the text, or not covered in enough depth to be able to answer the question. That was another frustration, to have a question on something, and be searching through the book for the answer, but not finding anything on it. Overall, I think this book needs to be revised to a 2nd edition, and maybe (hopefully) that is set to happen as it was only published in 2010.

Page: 1 | 2