Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Profile for Kindle Customer > Reviews

Browse

Kindle Customer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 28

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kindle Customer RSS Feed (Louisville, KY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The BFG
The BFG
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Saw the movie first, July 19, 2016
This review is from: The BFG (Kindle Edition)
Then read the book. The movie was magical: the book was even better. At it's heart, I think that this book is really about courage in the face of evil and dealing with the evildoers regardless of how scary they might seem. It's a morality play that also happens to be tons of fun.

The English Patient (Vintage International)
The English Patient (Vintage International)
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy book, July 18, 2016
But worthwhile, I think. I saw the movie years ago and I read the book now because I am about to watch the movie again. I remember the movie being beautifully filmed and I loved the score, but I left the theatre feeling confused. As I implied in the title, this is not an easy book to read: to puzzle out. At the end, nothing is as it appeared at the beginning. How anybody makes the book into a movie is beyond me.
But if the book is difficult to read and understand, it is beautifully written. The language is lyrical. At the end of WWII, a young woman, a nurse, winds up living with three men in a bombed out wreck of an Italian Villa. One is The English Patient, hideously burned in a plane crash in Libya, and supposed to be dying. The other three are also victims of the war, although their wounds might be more difficult to see. The interactions of these four damaged survivors are woven into a tapestry as the novel unfolds, beautiful but, at the end, still difficult to comprehend.

West with the Night
West with the Night
Price: $8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, July 10, 2016
Very often a good book fills up my "To Read" shelf with even better books to read. So it was with "Circling The Sun". Who could read that book and not read Beryl Markham's book? (Or Karin Blixin's book for that matter.) And so I read " West With The Night" and I was amazed at how beautiful the writing is and how focused the author is. This is not a retelling of the story that "Circling The Sun" told: Karin Blixin is not at all and of Denys Fitch-Hatton, only his death is mentioned. No, this is a book about a woman's love affairs, first with training race horses and then flying. The language is both spare and gorgeous. I meant to read this book when I was much younger, but I am glad that I did not as I don't believe my younger self would have understood it.

Pierced by the Sun
Pierced by the Sun
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but feels unfinished, July 4, 2016
When this novel, I wanted to know more about Lupita. The purification ceremony was fine, but how did her life actually change? This is a story of personal growth that seems to have ended before it should have.

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World
The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful book., July 2, 2016
I had only the vaguest notion of who von Humboldt was when I heard an interview with Andrea Wulf on NPR. I got so excited listening to the interview that I immediately did something I rarely do: I paid full price for the book. I am not sorry that I did. Alexander von Humboldt was an amazing man and Andrea Wulf is the perfect person to tell his story.

Essays After Eighty
Essays After Eighty
Offered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, June 9, 2016
The oldest living people all have something to teach us, but Donald Hall is a poet, essayist and national treasure: his lessons are served up with a raw beauty that is only possible from a poet. I was shocked and dismayed when, suddenly, Iran out of book to read. I was that enthralled.

Everybody's Fool: A novel
Everybody's Fool: A novel
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book, May 24, 2016
Nobody's Fool engaged me from beginning to end: engaged me the first time I read it and when I reread it recently in preparation for this, the follow up novel. I waited to fall in love with the characters and the story all over again. That did eventually happen but not until almost the end. A really good read from anybody else, but disappointing from Russo. The style was off putting; I felt like large parts were just just written to help readers catch up on stuff that they should have remembered from Nobody's Fool but might have forgotten. Motivation was also a problem for me. In the first book, I understood why everybody did what they did. This time, the characters motives are explained rather than understood.

Nobody's Fool (Vintage Contemporaries)
Nobody's Fool (Vintage Contemporaries)
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars That rarest of all rare things: a magnificent book that became an alltime favorite movie,, May 16, 2016
I reread this book in preparation for reading Richard Russo's new book, Everybody's Fool. This is a marvellous book in every way that a book can be marvellous,

The Art of Racing in the Rain
The Art of Racing in the Rain
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful!, May 3, 2016
Loved this book. It was not a "good read": it was a moving experience. I have never experienced a book like this....ever

Brightech - Litespan LED Reading Floor Lamp - Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Light - Fully Adjustable Neck - 12 Watts - Alpine White
Offered by Brightech
Price: $120.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Fan of LED Lighting Systems, March 10, 2016
The deeper we get into the LED lighting era, the better I like the technology. This fixture could be a bit brighter but in all other ways is totally satisfactory: inexpensive, low energy consuming and attractive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3