Profile for Eddie Mayfield > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eddie Mayfield RSS Feed (norcross, ga USA)

Page: 1 | 2
The Naked Future: What Happens in a World That Anticipates Your Every Move?
The Naked Future: What Happens in a World That Anticipates Your Every Move?
by Patrick Tucker
Price: $19.07
82 used & new from $3.44

4.0 out of 5 stars I find this book interesting, exciting, and disturbing ..., August 18, 2014
I find this book interesting, exciting, and disturbing at the same time. I tend to be one of those that worries about the abuse the government can perpetuate by having complete access to what we used to consider private and even secret information. Made even more worrisome by the idea that not only are your present activities "naked," but your future activities can be predicted. Tucker acknowledges the possibility of abuse, but makes a (valid I think) point that this transparency also makes the government more visible at all levels, which should serve as a check and balance.

It is a thought provoking look at what may be our future. As he says.. technology, once released, doesn't go back in the box. I do think that privacy will be harder to keep, and whatever our opinions, we're going to be living in that reality.

Riding the Shortwaves: Exploring the Magic of Amateur Radio
Riding the Shortwaves: Exploring the Magic of Amateur Radio
by Don Keith
Price: $16.40
28 used & new from $11.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic and passionate review of amateur radio, August 8, 2012
I have not been an active ham in over 30 years, but this book makes me want to brush up on my theory and re-license. Don's knowledge, and passion for the hobby is matched only by his writing skills.

This is a terrific look at the history and current state of a hobby that's still thriving in spite of the internet and cell phones. If you're a techno, you'll enjoy the discussions of antennas, propagation, and other technical information. However, if you're not, there's a great deal of nostalgic Americana about a unique hobby here.

Sitting in a room alone, on a cold evening, and picking up a distant CW (Morse Code) signal, answering, and then engaging in a delightful conversation with a complete stranger, from another country and culture is a unique experience. Knowing that signal bounced off the ionosphere, somehow, makes it better.

Riding the Shortwaves captures that experience. Read it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 10:30 PM PDT

Hoover Tempo WidePath Bagged Upright, U5140900
Hoover Tempo WidePath Bagged Upright, U5140900
Price: $70.00
36 used & new from $56.01

1.0 out of 5 stars very poorly packaged, August 3, 2012
This unit arrived in a box with the UPC code cut off, torn box taped back together very unprofessionally, and magic marker writing all over the box.

When I complained, we were told that this came from a warehouse, and that the unit was fine. The unit does work, but has obviously been used.

I wouldn't recommend buying anything from this vendor.

After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
by Mark Steyn
Price: $17.69
225 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty and frightening, September 24, 2011
I found this book hard to put down, sort of like a horror movie that you sit up way too late watching. First, Steyn is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I'd never read anything from him before, although I've enjoyed him on radio and television.

The fact of his brilliance makes this even more frightening. Steyn says that it's not that we're on a kluge ride to oblivion, it's that the present political realities don't allow a correction. And sans that correction.. America is in fact doomed.

His examples are both simple and relevant. We built the Empire State building in 18 months, but ten years after the September 11th attacks, there's still a hole in the ground where the Twin Towers stood. We can't build refineries in the United States, we have states suffering from floods and droughts, and are impotent to do anything about it. Steyn says that not only will America NOT go back to the moon, but in fact, we CAN'T go back to the moon. That's horrible, frightening, and true.

Every high school and college student should read this. Steyn is, in my view, correct in his assessment that the problem isn't which political party wins the presidency, its whether the nation wakes up to the fact that a large nanny state is doomed.

Please read this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2011 7:00 PM PDT

The Ice Diaries: The True Story of One of Mankind's Greatest Adventures
The Ice Diaries: The True Story of One of Mankind's Greatest Adventures
by Don Keith
Price: $18.95
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific book, June 19, 2011
I've always been fascinated with the technological achievements that nuclear submarines represent. But, I don't think I fully appreciated the difficulties that even these magnificent vessels faced in operating under the polar ice. This is a well written and detailed book, written from the personal observations of her skipper.

Not only the technical problems are explained, the political games that were integral to the success of the Nautilus are presented as well.

Terrific book, hard to put down.

UnSelling: Sell Less ... To Win More
UnSelling: Sell Less ... To Win More
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking, June 9, 2011
Peter Bourke captures the essence of why most conventional sales approaches don't work. This should be required reading for anyone attempting to do business in today's economy. Very well written, short, interesting, and immediately applicable.

The Privileged Planet
The Privileged Planet
DVD ~ John Rhys-Davies
Offered by BuckeyeState-Bulk
Price: $15.99
19 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well produced, March 14, 2006
This review is from: The Privileged Planet (DVD)
This is a beautifully done DVD, and is awe inspiring regardless of your philosphical viewpoint. While done primarily from an intelligent design viewpoint, it treats the other side fairly.

I personally, find the evidence of design compelling. In no other area of thought would we even consider complexities of the sort routinely observed in the material universe as accidental. When we find ancient art or structures no-one suggests that they happened by accident. Yet, given the much higher complexities of the universe, and especially of life, many are willing to take what seems to me, an irrational position. IF in fact, life is such an obvious accident, then why can't we, as intelligent creatures, create it? We can't even create plant cells, much less animal; as I said, I find design compelling.

This is a very thought provoking dvd; I intend to read the book.

My Baby Don't Tolerate
My Baby Don't Tolerate
Offered by Mount Juliet Books and Things
Price: $29.73
50 used & new from $0.55

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't pretend to understand him, September 24, 2005
This review is from: My Baby Don't Tolerate (Audio CD)
I love Lyle Lovett's music, while admitting that I don't really understand half of the lyrics. Maybe he's just nuts! My favorite songs on this CD are 1. Cute as a Bug 2. My Baby Don't Tolerate 3. Wallaceville Road

No-one, anywhere, sounds like Lyle Lovett.. I started noticing him on Austin City Limits years ago, and have bought about everything he's recorded since.

Really talented guy (albeit nuts), and this is a good CD.

One Moment More
One Moment More
Offered by J&S GAMES
Price: $6.93
207 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars very fresh voice and method, September 24, 2005
This review is from: One Moment More (Audio CD)
Whether singing the intriquing lyrics to "Come to Jesus" or revisiting Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Mindy's voice and presentation has an almost haunting, emotional quality that somehow remains with you long after the song has ended.

This is a gifted lady.

Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity
Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity
by Nancy R. Pearcey
91 used & new from $3.31

5.0 out of 5 stars clear, concise, and compelling, September 24, 2005
Nancy Pearcey has the ability to communicate what seems to be impossibly deep subjects, in elegantly simple terms. This is the best book I've ever read on this subject. Her research is so thorough that, believe it or not, even the appendex is interesting!

I notice that those who choose to criticize this book spend their time attacking Pearcey. I suspect it's because her work is so well documented that it's difficult if not impossible to attack it directly.

If you're going to only read one book that deals with the American culture and want an honest aplogetic on the Christian faith.. this is the book to read.

Page: 1 | 2