Profile for Mumblin' Berk > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mumblin' Berk "Berk" RSS Feed (Bowelsong, NJ)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Smart Weigh Digital Pro Pocket Scale with Back-Lit LCD Display, Silver
Smart Weigh Digital Pro Pocket Scale with Back-Lit LCD Display, Silver
Price: $16.98
9 used & new from $13.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice scale. Sturdy enough for the kitchen, March 27, 2015
Nice scale. Sturdy enough for the kitchen, nice display, fairly consistent, seems reliable thus far, and the price is right.

I'm a regular scale user. I have daily use for a variety of scales. Postal, food, hobby, health, etc. I have to mention that using digital scales for quite a few years, from a variety of manufacturers. I seem to get reliable use out of them for 5 or six years, then they die. (usually from accumulated bumps and bangs during use. They are just a tad fragile, as they warn in the instructions)

This particular scale replaced my small kitchen scale. It's primary function at the moment is for measuring coffee. I measure by weight, not by volume, so this scale gets constant use.

Here are the features that I most appreciate, in no particular order:

Excellent display. It has large digits, uncluttered display, and nice back-lighting. Easy to read without leaning over or squinting.

Uses normal batteries.

Weight to 1/10 gram. That's a nice increment for many uses, and nice in the kitchen. Great for coffee.

Self zeroing, I can place my container on the scale, and turn it on, it sets itself to Zero so I'm only weighing the contents, not the container.

Can undergo precise calibration if one ever requires it. Though frankly, if you need that kind of precision, this is probably not the scale for you. I wouldn't depend on this one if I were transacting precious metals.

One unexpected thing I like. It has a nice, firm, clear plastic cover that fits over the whole scale, like a hat. I use that. Keeps the whole thing clean. No food particles or spills to get on the display or buttons.

This is fun, it does one neat "trick" I haven't had on any of my scales before. It can count stuff. For instance, if you wanted to know how many candy pieces are in a "batch" you weigh one, hit the counting button, then weight the whole batch, and it will tell you how many are there. Actually, I can't think of a use for that feature, for myself. I just use it as a scale.

If it fits you're needs, I have no doubt most users would be very happy with this one. It was pleasantly surprised with it.
Hope you will be, too.

Hario Coffee Mill Slim Grinder, Mini
Hario Coffee Mill Slim Grinder, Mini
Offered by VALUE'S JAPAN
Price: $22.46
108 used & new from $14.30

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm amazed that Hario allows their name to be printed on ..., February 9, 2015
This item should be taken off the market. It is fundamentally flawed, and they know it. I highly suggest you pay heed to the other negative reviews. Here's the scoop:

The handle (flat stamped steel) fits down onto a soft (Chinese) metal shaft. Neither of these are machined well. As a result, the handle "bites" into the soft metal shaft and rounds it off in no time, rendering the device unusable. This is very obviously NOT a Japanese made product.

I'm amazed that Hario allows their name to be printed on it. It certainly does not reflect well on their name, or their company.
Now I have to waste my time doing the whole return process.

Save your money and time. Go with a more reliable product. (if I find one, I'll let you know)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2015 9:05 AM PDT

URC WR7 Universal Remote Control for up to 7 A/V Components with 4 Favorite Channel Buttons

5.0 out of 5 stars A real work-horse. And built like a tank., January 5, 2014
Actually, I was surprised to see the WR7 is still sold. I've been using mine for a very long time. More than five years, probably closer to 8. It's been with me through several generations of TV, and 2 AV receivers. I just clicked a new one into my shopping cart, because I'd be mighty sad if this one broke.

I like my home theater, love movies, big surround-sound fan. I keep an eye on the universal remotes because like so many of us, I am always on the upgrade trail. But as many of us gadget loving guys learn, "Upgrades" are NOT always improvements.

Some of the features I'm very fond of:

I like, and use, the channel and volume "Punch-through" so that no matter what device I'm controlling at the moment, Channel commands go to my cable box, and volume commands go to the amp. I suppose that is a common feature these days, but would never buy a remote without it.

Nice back-lighting on the keys, and it's red so it won't blow out your night vision.

Macros. Gotta love the macros. I've used quite a few over the years. I'm about to add another (thanks to someone elses review here) I like to listen to a particular music channel while I sleep. A one-touch macro will give me that channel, drop the volume, set a sleep timer, and kill the screen for me.

And of course the learning function. I know, it's not unique or anything, but I find it essential when I don't agree with a pre-programmed layout, or stubborn device control.

I realize this isn't god's gift to remote control heaven, but it's well built, priced right, looks good, feels good, works good, and has all the really important features, all at a good price. Hard to beat that combination. I guess THAT'S why it's still being sold. I just wanted to give a respectful nod to a product that has served me well under hard use, for a very long time. I've come to appreciate that more and more lately, as we seem to be drowning in a sea of planned obsolescence. I think it's important the the products we buy should LAST for a while. I appreciate being able to share product info with my fellow consumers.

Hope that's of some help to you. Good luck with the hunt!

-berk

Scotch-Brite Stainless Steel Scouring Pad, 3-Pad
Scotch-Brite Stainless Steel Scouring Pad, 3-Pad
Offered by SJS Commercial
Price: $5.45
47 used & new from $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, long-lasting pad. Small, though., December 1, 2013
I've been a big fan of these (various brand) quality stainless scrubbers for a long time. They do a fantastic job in the kitchen (and elsewhere), they last for YEARS, and with a gentle touch, they don't scratch up your goods like the disposable steel wool pads do.

I did have to knock one star off because these are tiny. The one's I usually get are a nice hand-full of scrubbing power, roughly say the size of a large orange or apple. These are more like the size of a clementine, so I end up having to use my finger-tips to hold them, instead of my hand. They still WORK great, though.

If you've never used these before you'll be in for a treat. If you are used to the larger ones, these aren't those.

ALLSTAR MARKETING GROUP CM011112 Cat's Meow Cat Toy
ALLSTAR MARKETING GROUP CM011112 Cat's Meow Cat Toy
Offered by Buy A Lot
Price: $10.45
57 used & new from $7.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Major design flaw. Guaranteed to fail., December 1, 2013
Motors will burn out, VERY quickly. There is no clutch mechanism, or monitoring circuit to save the motor. When the cat catches the little moving arm, stops it from moving, and ** POOF ** no more motor. We've had 2 of these in the past 2 months. One was a gift, the other I bought locally. Sad part is, the mfg HAD to be aware of this. So please, do return these when they die. The entire shipment needs to go back whence it came, along with a big slap on the wrist for bad form.

PS: "As Seen On TV" we should have known better.

Star Trek Original (Remastered) Season 2 [HD]
Star Trek Original (Remastered) Season 2 [HD]
DVD
Price: $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Original series, Season 2, October 3, 2013
It's just great fun. I especially appreciate the remastering.
For my full review, see my Season - 1 review previously posted.

Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary
Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter *Colors Vary
Offered by Battery Superstore
Price: $17.74
55 used & new from $16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah... This is the good one, alright., September 12, 2013
Yep. This one is a winner. Probably "Best in class".

I am unaware of any micro heli's in this price range that offer a better experience than the Syma 107. (If there are any, please comment below, I'd love to give it a try!)

Mom: If your buying this for a youngster who hasn't flown, it may or may not be the right thing. The product is fine, but success in flight depends on one's patience, and ability to read and follow instructios. They suggest age 14 and up. I'm not a big fan of age limits. Flying is practice, patience, and muscle memory. You make the call; but you'll be best served by thinking of this more as a delicate and precise machine, than a "toy".

Pilots: I've always enjoyed the little micros. This one easily stands out as a cut above, especially at these deliciously low prices. It's just a nice little machine. Docile. Very stable. Love the USB port for charging, rather than draining the transmitter all the time. I though the weight was a bit much at first, but it seems to add to the stability, and flight times are fine. And it LOOKS just great.

Pros: Over all build quality is good. Very solid and durable. Looks great. Nicely balanced right out of the box with no flight errors. Required very little trim. Just sweet. And frankly, chicks dig micro helis made of metal. Even my wife admits it's "cute". (but in a manly way, of course)

Cons:

There's just NOT much negative to say, so these are just considerations, or F.Y.I.

1) Battery and motors are soldered in. Not that big a deal. If you keep this little fellow alive long enough to wear out the motors or lipo, then go ahead and solder in replacements. It's good practice for you.

2) Indoor only. Infrared TX can't compete with daylight, and very light control authority is overwhelmed by the light breezes.
But then again, that's what it was specifically designed for. So... there you are.

Hope this was of help.
Enjoy!

Spyderco Kiwi3 Stag PlainEdge Knife
Spyderco Kiwi3 Stag PlainEdge Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love it., September 1, 2013
Kiwi goes back a ways with Spyderco. I'm particularly fond of this stag-scaled version. The stag scales improve my grip dramatically. See how the front choil is split, with 1/2 on the blade and 1/2 in the handle? Great design. Lets me get a good strong hold when the need arises even with larger hands, but keeps the folded knife profile very small for pocketing.

I've gotten several of these as gifts for people. Most recently, my mother-in-law, who absolutely loves it. To my delight, she USES it all the time. She tells me "You were so right! You never realize just how many times you need a knife on a daily basis until you start to carry one with you."

I no longer carry the Kiwi. It's been relegated to desk duty, but I still give them as gifts. If this one seems interesting to you at all, I can confirm that the quality is certainly there, and the stag version is much "warmer" and more comfortable to grip.
Hard to go wrong with a quality Spyderco.

Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater
Lasko #100 MyHeat Personal Ceramic Heater
Offered by Galactics
Price: $23.32
43 used & new from $16.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the thing!, September 1, 2013
FOR THE PRICE, this is a very nice unit. It is well-made with a very long and sturdy, heavy-duty electric cord. It has an attractive case, with a simple on / off switch, and a very quiet fan. My wife wanted this under her desk to aim at her feet in the winter, instead of turning up the heat in the whole house.

As for how much heat it produces, this is a tiny 200 watt unit. Think of it in terms of two 100 watt light bulbs. Not quite as much as your daughter's 1,000 watt big-hair dryer (which is similar to your 1,000 watt microwave). It will warm you up a bit, in a personal space. Might work nicely if you have a particularly cold bathroom, say. I had a very cold dorm room once, it would have been a welcome addition there. Anything bigger than that, and you'll want a more ambitious heater.

If this sounds like what you're looking for, I think you'll be happy with the quality of this little guy. We like it very much. I would have rather had the red one, but they were asking premium money for RED for some reason. Must be running out of RED in the plastic mines or something. Ah well.

Cuisinart CSB-76W SmartStick 200-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, White
Cuisinart CSB-76W SmartStick 200-Watt Immersion Hand Blender, White
Offered by F1RST CLASS DISTRIBUTION
Price: $69.99
11 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little immersion blender. Not a food processor. Not an ice crusher., September 1, 2013
Having seen mixed reviews on this one, I bought it anyway as it seemed to be the only one that was meeting my needs at a reasonable price. I held off on reviewing it until I had given it quite a bit of use. My best guess is that perhaps some folk aren't using it as it's intended? Not sure. But here is my experience.

It's well built. Motor is fast, and strong. It doesn't bind up or slow way down, or over heat when you work it hard. Blades are sharp. Construction is good over-all. The cord is long. Nice and sturdy too, it's not one of those thin, light-duty little cord.

My uses: Smoothies / shakes using frozen fruits / bananas / strawberries and avocado. NO ice. My ice machine makes crushed ice, and I have used that with no problem, but if you're trying to crush cubes with this thing, that's a mistake. Wrong tool for the job.

Soups, gravies, it makes short work of anything you want to do with a creamy soup. Zucchini, salsa, guac, that sort of thing. The most utility I get from it is very very thick things that just won't work in a blender. I make these ice-cream thick desserts and puddings with avocado, and a variety of other natural foods as thickeners. If you try it with a blender it just won't work. I could use a food processor, but that gets too involved for just a simple one-pot or one-bowl concoction.

The included graduated cup is a nice part, but I don't use it with this hand blender.

Another big "Pro" about this one, it doesn't come with a whole box full of totally unneeded and unwanted pointless accessories to boost the price up. I just wanted the blender, NOT 6 more bowels I don't need and 12 absurd attachments to pay for.

This is a slim, efficient, handy tool that gets a lot of use.
If it sounds like what you're looking for, this might be the one for you.

Hope the review helped.