Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed (Minnesota, USA)

Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)
Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $22.99
3166 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd hate to say "I told you so," but..., August 3, 2008
I told you so! As far as entertainment value goes, the first two books in the series weren't bad books or good books--they simply passed the time. My objections to this series had more to do with the message it sends to impressionable young girls: act helpless, whine a lot, and ignore nice normal people in favor of some prince in shining armor who will save your behind all the time. Unfortunately, not many people saw what poor role models most of the characters make.

Thankfully, the last book reveals the whole series for what it is: tripe, and reactionary tripe at that. In a response to criticism that she was "anti-female," Stephanie Meyer retorted that she was not, in fact, anti-female, but "anti-human" on her website. Anti-human, and Breaking Dawn reveals it for all the world to see. Girls, don't bother with college. Who needs friends? All you need for happiness is an early marriage to an overbearing husband--and don't forget the teenage pregnancy. *headdesk* How could anyone possibly compare this self-destructive, delusional, esteem-lowering series to Harry Potter?

The fact is that fiction influences us. How we think, what we value, even what we love--these critical elements of our psyches can be subtlely (and not so subtlely) molded by fiction, whether it is the author's intention or not. I know that only the most delusional readers will not recognize the series as pure fiction, but that doesn't change my point. Stories, whether fiction or not, speak to something within us, and the message spoken by these stories is unequivocally a negative one that reviles human nature.

Schadenfreude isn't the most noble of emotions, but it's a human one, and I think those of us who saw the series for what it was earlier on have earned the right to gloat, just a little. Frankly, I'm glad the series imploded on the last book. I'm glad that a lot of its own fans disliked Breaking Dawn. Maybe now, readers will reexamine the series as a whole and think twice before gushing over these books.

Watchmen
Watchmen
by Alan Moore
Price: $11.29
463 used & new from $3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Comics...for all the big kids, April 23, 2006
This review is from: Watchmen (Paperback)
I will agree with some of Watchmen's amateur critics and say that it gave me a huge headache the first time I read it. Guess what that headache comes from? Thinking. Thinking long and hard late into the night about the human condition. Struggling to comprehend exactly what makes the characters tick, and why there has to be so much trash in their world and ours. Trying to overcome some of my instinctive, visceral horror at some of the events as they unfold toward their shattering conclusion.

Watchmen is a book for those who like to think about the things that all of us fear. In fact, it FORCES its readers to think by plunging them headfirst into a plot that's unintelligible UNLESS one is actively thinking. It completely destroys the typical image of innocent comics and simply superheroes. Rorschach is not the Dark Knight; he's the mirror image of the darkest in all of us. Dr. Manhattan isn't the American Superman; he's God, and he doesn't care about humanity. Ozymandias isn't the world's golden boy, Laurie isn't Catwoman...I could go on forever. The people of Watchmen and their actions are both us and not us. They are us through a telescope and under a microscope. Watchmen takes all the mundane horrors of daily life, mixes in a little salt and vinegar, and throws them in our wounds.

Watchmen was for me and so many others a masterpiece, a challenging, fascinating, and horrifying experience. But it's small wonder that a lot of people don't understand this book. Lots of us choose to go around with iPod headphones in our ears and tape over our eyes.

...just don't blame me when Rorschach comes to call.