Profile for Mia > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 127

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mia "Who Digs Movies and Music" RSS Feed (OH USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
by George R. R. Martin
Price: $13.34
146 used & new from $2.83

2.0 out of 5 stars A Win. Somewhere. Please., June 11, 2012
I'm looking forward to watching the HBO series when it comes out on DVD. This way, I'll only use up 10-12 hours of my life instead of the 16 or so hours it took me to wade and slog through the depression, battles, death, dirt, filth, destruction, rapine etc. of A CLASH OF KINGS.

After a while, I thought to myself, "The author is loading us all with this crud, it's shock value now. Yeah, I get the stabbings, heads on spikes, rape the dog-girl, blah-blah-blah. Get on with it all right all ready." That's why it get 2 stars: character and scenic descriptions are great!

Thank heavens I got it out of the library instead of paying money for the Kindle version or buying the book!

I really liked the first book so I was looking forward to the second book. And I do like that characters are followed and you see different points of view. I understand that people are not black and white but shades of gray. But I started to not like (or root for) any of the characters. I couldn't wait to get out of Westeros, take a bath (the author did a good job of making me feel dirty) and dive into a good grisly murder mystery. I still can't get those hours of my life back.

Frankly, I'm rooting for Tyrion's (the dwarf) girlfriend, Shae. No doubt she gets killed of in Book 3. I hope Joffrey, the bratty boy king does get knocked off. I doubt it, too bad.

Thank heavens for the internet. No doubt I can find a synopsis of the next books so I don't have to waste more of my time. If HBO does as good a job on this book as they did on the first, take my advice, watch the miniseries.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2013 10:56 AM PDT

Daydream
Daydream
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice!, June 7, 2012
This review is from: Daydream (MP3 Music)
I heard her on Pandora, and her style is really nice. I particularly like her more uptempo songs. She does a neat twist on Nat King Cole's NATURE BOY! Love SWEET BLOSSOM too, I'd never heard this song before. Nice, light, not overdone style on vocals and instrumentals!

Harry's Law: Season 1
Harry's Law: Season 1
DVD ~ Kathy Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This Show, May 27, 2012
This review is from: Harry's Law: Season 1 (DVD)
We love this show! We love Kathy Bates!

I cannot believe that NBC is cancelling it because the demographic is "too old." What is that all about? Baby boomers have the most disposable income of any "demographic.' So the audience loses and the advertisers lose too. And yes, we've written to NBC to complain.

This show is well written, well acted and not everybody in it is "pretty" or a size 2. (Granted there ARE some ladies like that but they're still great.) I didn't enjoy season 2 locale change as much (out of the shoe store) but I think this show is gutsy and fun and SMART!! Both Seasons!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 11:13 AM PDT

Strictly Romancin'
Strictly Romancin'
Price: $16.99
30 used & new from $11.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner!, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Strictly Romancin' (Audio CD)
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! I was so excited to hear that Catherine Russell had released another CD! Yippee-skippy dance! Miss Cat does not disappoint! Such a nice rich voice, great arrangements. I loved every song, and that is a rarity for any CD. Some standouts for me were: Ev'ntide (makes my toes tap), Romance In The Dark (such a bluesy feel), Satchel Mouth Baby (let's dance) and Don't Leave Me (think smoky, dark cafe and too much booze).

I want to be her when I grow up; each song is a Master Class in Jazz singing!

I bought the whole album as an MP3 download just because it's her and I'm a big fan and it's great, better than expected!

Highly recommended!

Kisses on the Bottom
Kisses on the Bottom
Price: $10.35
98 used & new from $3.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortless And Easy Pleasures for the Ear, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
My pre-teen crush, former Beatle Sir Paul takes on standards. Bound to happen once Rod Stewart did it! There is some truly fine musicianship here, especially guitar work, on this CD. It's the perfect accent for relaxing, romancing, having a fine glass of wine or a classy dinner party (does anyone do that any more?)

Paul's voice is nice and light and easy. The orchestrations are lovely and not overbearing. He seems very at home doing standards and it just goes to show: standards ARE standards because they've stood the test of time. Like many of his compositions will (think Yesterday).

Very enjoyable and delightfully recommended.

Sweet Forgiveness
Sweet Forgiveness
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A Forgotten Gem, April 26, 2012
This review is from: Sweet Forgiveness (MP3 Music)
This is a great album, released in 1977 and there are some real winners on this CD. "Home" my all time favorite Bonnie Raitt; LOVE that song, have from day one. "About To Make Me Leave Home," "Louise" and "Three Time Loser" are stand-outs in my mind. I love her version of "Runaway," so gutsy and raunchy. I do not like EVERY song, so normally it would get 4 stars but the ones I do like are super standouts, thus the 5 stars!

I think this album got lost by her being over-shadowed by Ronstadt who was putting out some great albums at the same time.

Home [Remastered version]
Home [Remastered version]
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, April 26, 2012
If you've ever been homesick, this is the song for you. Ever wanted or need your own place, your home...this will strike a true chord, I think. Very evocative song, and one you almost never hear from Bonnie or anyone else for that matter. It's like folks forgot she did this and it is so memorable.
Wonderful song, my all time favorite from this artist!

JW Pet Company Hol-ee Roller Dog Toy, 5-Inches (Colors Vary)
JW Pet Company Hol-ee Roller Dog Toy, 5-Inches (Colors Vary)
Price: $7.25
30 used & new from $3.63

3.0 out of 5 stars It smells but it's great, April 22, 2012
It smells like bad latex, not even rubber, like a Kong. I have the "Grand" size. Does anyone know how to get the stink out of it. I can't have it in the house AT ALL! My Australian Cattledog youngster (8mos) loves it!

Does any one know how to get the stink out of this toy? The smaller one I bought at the same time, does not smell 1/10 as bad! I can't get the stink out of my hands either!

Help!

The Sword And The Rose
The Sword And The Rose
Offered by Triangle Media
Price: $33.49
21 used & new from $24.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie!, March 24, 2012
This review is from: The Sword And The Rose (DVD)
Glynnis Johns (the mother in Mary Poppins) and Richard Todd star in a costume drama about Henry VIII's younger sister, Mary Tudor. Fun movie, very well done and HARD TO FIND!

Bags on Board Regular Bag Refill Pack, 120 Bags
Bags on Board Regular Bag Refill Pack, 120 Bags
Price: $8.29
31 used & new from $3.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sturdy Bag, February 26, 2012
I have a dog who eats poop. He eats his sometimes but he most definitely eats the other dog's poop, as soon as she goes!

So I have to pick up poop every time 2 medium sized dogs go out in our backyard. And I don't do poop-scooping well (hand problems). I've used these for years when I cycled with my dogs. They are sturdy. You hands don't get gross even if you're picking up loose stool, which I have been recently as one of my dog's is sick. I think they are a good bargain if you buy them in a packages of eight.

I don't know how well they'd work if you had, say, a Great Dane, but they seem to have a good capacity.

Biggest downside is they are hard to open, like a sticky plastic bag would be....you have to struggle a bit but it's understandable because they are on a roll! I try to get the bag going before I really need it! Plus they're not biodegradable but I've also heard you shouldn't use dog stool as fertilizer anyway.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13