ARRAY(0xa68bf1c8)

Customer Reviews: 1

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joe Michals RSS Feed

The Walking Dead [Online Game Code]
The Walking Dead [Online Game Code]
Price: $24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, Shoddy Console Port, April 27, 2012
Episode 1 Review:

I'm a fan of the both the Walking Dead show and the comics, and I'm also a fan of Telltale and adventure gaming as a whole. This game creates its world from the comics and has a similar sense of dread and terror, sprinkled with some mild humor. It's an original story that intersects with characters, locales, and events from the comics. It's all about the characters, and the decision-based gameplay will definitely encourage multiple playthroughs. The graphics are pretty good for a Telltale title; it won't win any awards but the look captures the comics (and an overall comic feel) pretty well. I'd give the game about 4 stars - pretty good, but not for everyone.

My main gripe, however, is that this is clearly a console port with little-to-no care in tailoring it to PC gamers. The "Controls" option just brings up a picture of an Xbox 360 controller - no options to remap keys or even anything to tell you what the keys are. It's not too hard to figure out in-game, but not even simply showing Keyboard/Mouse users what the controls are before starting the game (not even counting the fact that you can't reassign the controls), seems to me like a pretty big omission.

I have a 360 controller for my PC and am getting accustomed to developers favoring a particular control method (Darksiders and Mass Effect come to mind), so I thought I'd just switch to that instead. That's when I noticed that the game doesn't have any option to invert look. That, to me, was an even larger omission/error than not being able to reassign KB/M controls. I imagine to some gamers, this could be an absolute deal-breaker with either input option. I was (kind-of) able to get used to non-inverted looking, but it still caused many user errors on my part because of what my brain is trained to do naturally.

Overall, I still think it's a good game and worth the price. Being that (as of my writing this), only 1 out of the 5 episodes has been released, there is still time for some of these egregious omissions to be remedied. Just be wary before buying if these issues would affect your good time.

It also uses Steam. I like Steam but, clearly, not everyone does so keep that in mind as well.

UPDATE 7/31/13:

I've finally gotten around to finishing the game and, unfortunately, many of the issues I had with the game were left unfixed. The only change was in the "Controls" option which now has a picture of the KB/M controls instead of just the Xbox controls, depending on what you are currently using. I used a PS3 controller with MotioninJoy to invert the Y Axis as tools like x360ce, Durazno, and JoytoKey were unable to do the job with the 360 controller.

My 4 star review of the game itself still stands; I thought that the game was very good, not exceptional, and certainly not for everyone. Though the choices you make don't amount to a whole lot in the end, the journey and possible variations, I believe, can still lead to some replayability.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2012 8:12 PM PST