Profile for DKH > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DKH "book lover" RSS Feed (Columbia, MO USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and a little cheaper., September 11, 2013
I have been using this product for about 5 years now. I'm not sure on the exact date. It is moderately priced compared with other products this company sells. My budget is limited, so this is my choice. All I can say is that my skin looks a little tighter than a friend of the same age. A number of people have put me at about 7 years younger than my real age. They are surprised that I am over 50 and I turn 56 next month. Are there better products out there? Maybe. Skinceuticals has higher end seri, but I'm getting a lot of bang from my buck with this level of product.

The Woman's Book of Resilience: 12 Qualities to Cultivate
The Woman's Book of Resilience: 12 Qualities to Cultivate
by Beth Miller
Price: $17.06
51 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidence-building, July 30, 2013
I first got this book thru my library. It was building me up in the face of a challenging time, so I bought my own copy. The author has wisdom and shares the real-life journeys of many women, so it is both practical and inspiring. It is also balanced and true, not just trying to share an agenda. Anyone who needs to become stronger could use the insights here.

Clarks Women's Truffle Sandal,Bone,9 M US
Clarks Women's Truffle Sandal,Bone,9 M US
Price: $43.12
3 used & new from $43.12

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, but could be thicker sole, July 30, 2013
These sandals are very comfy. I was surprised, however, with my feeling the sole to be a bit thin under the ball of the foot on my second or third day of use. I walk ten minutes 2x/day on concrete to and from my parking garage. I'm in my fifties. Maybe my feet just need a little extra cushion now. I will continue to use these sandals, but I just expected to them to feel better, longer.

Conversations with Children: Communicating Our Faith
Conversations with Children: Communicating Our Faith
by Sister Magdalen
18 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, loving and wise., February 10, 2013
This book was recommended to me by my Orthodox priest and I am so glad he did! Not a "how-to" book as much as window into the heart of how to gently lead and respond to children of various ages and dispositions. Reading how Sr. Magdalena interacts with the children in her classes and reading her additional asides to us readers is helping me develop a kinder, wiser, more Orthodox manner. (I am a recent convert.). Always respectful to the heart of each child, always reminding them to honor Christ and pointing to heavenly help from the Mother of God and the Saints who can pray for us, Sr. Magdalena demonstrates Christ's love and patience to all children whether they are eager or leaning towards a poor attitude. I recommend reading this book slowly, over time so as to absorb all its fullness and wisdom. Maybe a book to cycle through several times. The children with whom you interact would benefit.

Tapestry Listening & Speaking 3 & 4 CNN Video
Tapestry Listening & Speaking 3 & 4 CNN Video
by Karen Carlisi
Edition: VHS Tape

3.0 out of 5 stars Dated, but still worthy, February 10, 2013
This VHS accompanies two ESL textbooks. The footage seems to be from the 1980's. Some segments are humorously dated, such as the chapter on technology with the huge "satellite phones" people carried. However, a good number of segments are timeless, such as a Larry King interview of Ringo Starr, and a clip on the benefits of laughter for our health (featuring doctors in a pediatric ward dressed as clowns).

Christ the Eternal Tao
Christ the Eternal Tao
by Hieromonk Damascene
Price: $17.07
36 used & new from $9.83

5.0 out of 5 stars "Jesus is more Eastern than Western" said my religion teacher., August 15, 2010
This review is from: Christ the Eternal Tao (Paperback)
"Jesus is more Eastern than Western," said my religion teacher many years ago. That truth rested in the back of my mind for 25+ years. Recently, after 3 or so years of exploring writings on Orthodox Christianity, this book came under my radar. It carefully presents the idea that the Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu (Tao Te Ching) intuitively gained insight into a compassionate, self-giving God -- an inkling into what would later be clarified through the coming of Christ.

The book is a very thorough presentation of the history of the development of human understanding of God and the fulfillment of this understanding which came with the incarnation of Christ. The 2nd portion of the book is a fascinating, calming journey of poetry in which some of Lao Tzu's ideas are echoed or answered by some of the words of Christ. The similarities are striking!

This book helps one see how gently and faithfully God has revealed Himself through history bit by bit -- as much as we could handle at the given time. It respects both traditional Chinese thought and Christ as the 2nd person in the Triune God. This book even explains how the Trinity is an essential aspect of Divinity. I have been very blessed in my spirit from reading this book. I am about 2/3rds of the way through and am enjoying every word. It's a deep, rich book which can calm your heart and feed your soul. Something not to read too quickly. Savor it. Let it soak in.

I am concurrently reading the biography of Fr. Seraphim Rose: FATHER SERAPHIM ROSE, His Life and Works, also by Hieromonk Damascene. I'd also highly recommend that book. Fr. Rose's extensive study of Chinese philosophy is at the root of this current text. His personal journey through his studies of Tao towards Orthodox Christianity is fascinating and very encouraging for our times. Many Westerners are turning towards things Eastern these days. Perhaps if we looked again at the gentle "Eastern" ways of Jesus, we'd purify our own Faith and become better "fishers of men" in the process.

For those who want a teaser into this book, [...] has a podcast of the same title. The actual book, however, presents greater depth and breadth. I keep thinking of the many people to whom I could recommend this title. It is fantastic! It's a gentle, whole-person consideration for how to live out the Christian Life and how to grow spiritually. Christ The Eternal Tao touches the heart, not just the brain. This book redirects us to things Jesus said which are gently powerful. He came to Earth in a lowly form to lead us not to popularity or greatness, but to spiritual depth and intimacy with God. A welcome reminder and humbling, timely word.

A Life Complete: Emotional and Spiritual Growth for Midlife and Beyond
A Life Complete: Emotional and Spiritual Growth for Midlife and Beyond
by Sallirae Henderson
44 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful reflections as we mature, July 5, 2010
I'm enjoying this book. The author provides real-life examples of those who have lived well and also of those who haven't. Sometimes sober reading. Her thoughts are helping me consider how I have lived so far and what I could tweak to make my later years more rewarding. Too often, we live our lives without giving any thought to the choices we are making. She has us step out of ourselves and examine things a bit. Years of working with the elderly (in addition to her own maturing) have provided this author with experience and wisdom in how to approach life in one's later years. What can I begin to do now to prepare for my later years? How can I age gracefully while living in our youth-obsessed culture? What do I need to cultivate? What may I need to put aside? How can I learn to bless others more? Good stuff.

Gates of Repentance: Hymns from Great Lent & Holy Week
Gates of Repentance: Hymns from Great Lent & Holy Week
Price: $21.89
3 used & new from $21.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Snippets of the Season, May 16, 2010
This is my second CD by Fr. Apostolos Hill. I am an "Orthodox-in-training". This CD presents selections of the Lenten season for reflection and private worship. I was thrilled to recognize the memorable song from Good Friday (#23) on my first listening. Now I have several songs which are favorites. Fr. Hill sings with clarity of tone and great enunciation. Very good for a beginner to chanting, but good for all believers.

Seeds of the Word: Orthodox Thinking on Other Religions (Foundations)
Seeds of the Word: Orthodox Thinking on Other Religions (Foundations)
by John Garvey
Price: $14.40
38 used & new from $5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom and humility., February 27, 2010
I read this book as a library book and then decided I wanted my own copy. Since I have not read much on other religions, I appreciated the first half of the book which described them. However, I agree with another post which mentioned that the best portion of the book is a history or summary of the varied styles in which Christians have responded to those of different faiths. I've had exposure to several styles, some of which make me cringe. I fully appreciate the Orthodox perspective. How wonderful to consider that God does want to speak to all people and that some Truth, however clouded by human falsehood, is whispered into all of our hearts! (That is what I understood, anyway.) May we Christians reveal/reflect Him and His Ways more and more. May we walk and speak with greater wisdom and humility. May our lives and words cause a greater number of people to be brought to the fullness of Truth and may His Name be glorified forever and ever. Amen!

A Daily Calendar of Saints
A Daily Calendar of Saints
by Lawrence R. Farley
19 used & new from $11.90

4.0 out of 5 stars martyrdom and holiness in Eastern Orthodox history, January 21, 2010
I've just begun my 2nd year using this book in my daily devotional time. After some prayers and before my Bible reading, I take a few minutes every day to learn about people and history from our Eastern Orthodox brothers. Most of these are stories I had never heard of before, as a Western Christian. I am humbled by the courage and devotion of these, our spiritual ancestors. I am embarrassed by our human (Western?) tendency towards excess as I read of certain ascetics who chose not to be distracted by earthly pleasures so as to better devote themselves to prayer. I've been enjoying this book very much. Perhaps if we are entering an age of greater persecution for our Faith-- as some think, we could learn a thing or two from those who went before us. The only reason I offer it 4 stars is because some readers may not appreciate the ascetic or otherwise Orthodox practices mentioned. Since I have done a good deal of reading on Orthodox theology, I am finding it a nice complement to that. It's Orthodoxy "with skin on". This book will open the Western Christian reader up to a broader perspective of Christian History, and by the way, many of their earlier "heros" are shared by all Christians.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3