Profile for Brett D'Onofrio > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brett D'Onofrio RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Nintendo Wii U
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Nintendo Wii U
Offered by YOYO GOGO GADGETS
Price: $46.91
27 used & new from $24.99

1.0 out of 5 stars broken?, March 21, 2015
Didn't even work. Wouldn't load past the intro screen. Was most likely the disc, but still, bad first impression. Returned it and never tried again.

Mario Party 10
Mario Party 10
Price: $48.88
32 used & new from $41.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity., March 21, 2015
This review is from: Mario Party 10 (Video Game)
Two main complaints. But they are huge.

Not being able to play the game as anyone but bowser unless you have a wii remote? (which I don't have); Total bull. I have three different controllers for the Wii U (gamepad, pro controller, smash GC controller) and NONE of them work with this game. Why is the wii remote (a controller that doesn't come with the console OR the game) required to play?! Complete BS and a good enough reason to skip this altogether.

Second, No online multiplayer. In a party game. When Nintendo FINALLY has a great online network. It's Mario PARTY, you need to play with friends to get the full enjoyment out of the game and not everyone has three to four friends near you to play with. How about some support for people who live far away from their friends that also have Wii U's?

Those two reasons alone are enough to make me regret my purchase and I would strongly consider everyone skip this game, even huge first party Nintendo fans like myself.

I can't speak for anything but bowser mode and it's boring to play alone (big surprise). I really like the mario party franchise as whole before playing this game and I thought I would finally get some enjoyment out of a "next gen" version with some online friends. But it seems I paid $50 for a game I can't even play.

HUGE disappointment!

Super Smash Bros. - Nintendo Wii U
Super Smash Bros. - Nintendo Wii U
Price: $57.08
98 used & new from $46.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo is the only company that can launch a finished game., November 21, 2014
I was SO scared that after the string of third party games released DOA this year that for some reason Nintendo might fall down that same road with the online portion of smash. I regret even thinking that and forgetting that Nintendo doesn't rush games out like seemingly everyone else these days.

To start, I went right into online mode and started up a match. Not only was everything working properly on the first try, there was ZERO lag during the match. Next I tried a private game with a friend, again, no issues whatsoever. I couldn't be happier.

I can't talk about the single player stuff or unlocking all of the characters, it's too soon for that. But I CAN absolutely suggest anyone with a Wii U should buy this game. And if you don't have a Wii U, buy one just to play this game. If you were ever a fan of the Smash Bros. series, you will love this.

I guess Nintendo still has to give these third party dev's lessons on how to release a finished game and not use online patches as a crutch.

Oh btw, Halo mcc STILL doesn't work after 10 days and a mystery 1.5gb patch that did absolutely nothing. Nintendo's specialty isn't even online fighting games and there were zero problems playing online on launch night. Some of the 343 team created halo and they still can't even get it to work almost two weeks after launch. What's their excuse?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2015 7:48 PM PDT

Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Offered by EA Electronics
Price: $34.97
118 used & new from $28.00

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, November 15, 2014
I have been a fan of halo since christmas 2002. I downloaded this and pre loaded it because I knew I would never want to sell it or trade it in. This has been the worst launch for a multiplayer game that I have ever seen. This game came out monday night and I STILL can't find a match with or without friends.

343 keeps saying they are working on it but they are putting out patches that have nothing to do with the matchmaking. (fixing leaderboards, fixing the HUD) Nobody can play your broken game and you are fixing the HUD?!

Very rarely, someone on my friends list will be able to find a match but it's always unbalanced. 4v1 or 5v2. And trying to find a match while in a party with friends is physically impossible. It stays searching forever. We waited in a search lobby for 2 hours while playing handheld stuff or browsing the internet and we still never found a match so we gave up. We try again and again every night and nothing has changed.

343's bandaid fix was to remove playlists (still didn't work). There aren't enough playlists to begin with! Remember when they said each game's online mode will feature the same ranking system as they did when they came out? Well there is no ranking system whatsoever except in one specific playlist, and it's for that playlist only. Not for the individual games like they promised.

Even IF these issues ever get fixed, the players need to send a message to the developers and publishers to NOT rush games out when they aren't ready. We will just keep getting screwed if we ignore that we are the solution.
Right now I have a basically broken set of data on my hard drive that plays halo music when I start it, I certainly didn't buy any "game" for my $60.

I guarantee they learn nothing from this launch and halo 5 next year has the exact same problems. Unless they go back to player hosting.

This is just another in the long list of disappointing games this holiday. Everything is being rushed out before it's ready and it needs to stop.

Assassin's Creed Unity - Xbox One
Assassin's Creed Unity - Xbox One
Price: $19.99
146 used & new from $15.00

1.0 out of 5 stars The first Assassin's Creed game with a bad story., November 11, 2014
Another holiday 2014 release that left me unimpressed. I guess the quality expected of developers is dropping quick.

Gameplay: Riddled with glitches, I would regularly fall through a building while trying to climb down it and be stuck in the map until I restarted the game. I had problems with combat not working at all, problems with glitchy freerunning mechanics that would constantly push me away from what I was climbing, this is especially frustrating in a mission. The framerate in the xbox one version never goes above 25fps. That 60fps E3 "gameplay" video was clearly a load of crap.

Story: What story? Usually Assassin's creed games let you play historical moments. This game seems to keep you away from historical moments at all costs. Was this just laziness from the writers not being able to work you into the real world events? Must have been different writers from creed 3 and black flag, those games nailed the story perfect.

Co-op: As disappointing as it is that coop is just separate missions and not campaign coop as they insinuated at E3, what's more disappointing is not being able to play it at all because of the crappy uplay servers.

Summary: Take from a long time fan of assassins' creed. If you want to play a great creed game, play black flag, or revelations, or anything besides this rushed garbage.

The players NEED to show ubi that a yearly release schedule is bad for everyone! Don't buy this game!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2014 8:04 AM PST

The Evil Within
The Evil Within
Price: $39.25
73 used & new from $25.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs! Save your money!, October 15, 2014
This review is from: The Evil Within (Video Game)
I can't honestly tell you something is wrong with the gameplay or story in this game. All I can comment on is the atrocious engine that is powering it and the ridiculous choice of fixed letterbox aspect ratio. It's hard to describe with words why it breaks the game but I'm going to briefly try.

The letterbox bars feel like they are just photoshopped on top of the game image behind them. Like they are cutting off key things just to make the game run better on consoles, which doesn't work anyway. It's running at 720p and 30fps (supposedly) and it still chops and stutters with horrible textures and an aspect ratio of an snes game.

There are key moments right in the beginning where you have to run from things but you get to a part where you need to tilt down to see if there is something in the environment to help, then tilt back up to see which context sensitive button you have to press, then tilt back down to press it on the object. All this while being chased or attacked. The difficulty in a game should come from a challenge in gameplay, not the inept programming choices.

They sacrificed a potentially decent game because their engine sucked and they were too lazy to fix or change it.
I haven't felt this tricked with a video game for 10+ years. The only thing I can do to even hope to redeem my lost $60 is try to prevent other people from wasting theirs.

Again, I am not, and cannot say ANYTHING about the gameplay or story itself because the visuals and choice of aspect ratio makes the game unplayable for me personally. Save your money!

Destiny - PlayStation 4
Destiny - PlayStation 4
Price: $29.99
178 used & new from $20.40

1.0 out of 5 stars only not a disappointment because i didnt expect much., September 9, 2014
This game just seems lost. Like they couldn't decide on what kind of game to make so they took a little from almost every genre. That isn't a good thing. To avoid being completely negative, the campaign is enjoyable if you like the kind of borderlands quest gameplay in single or co-op mode. It's nice to turn your brain mostly off and mindlessly do quest after quest. It's kind of relaxing. The story however is not a reason to play that campaign. It suffers from the same lack of depth that the halo campaign suffered from. everything feels shallow and rushed when it comes to the background story and the reasons you are doing missions.

The multiplayer is a disaster. As a long time fan of the halo multiplayer setup. This game is as unbalanced as they come. Bungie is the group that basically invented balanced online multiplayer but they chose to throw all of that experience out the window in favor of a hybrid clone of call of duty and borderlands if it had deathmatch.

Anybody who plays the campaign for long enough can just hop in multiplayer with a ridiculously overpowered weapon or ability and win without any challenge. I had hoped they would do some balancing after the alpha and beta but I guess they chose to just work on servers and leave gameplay alone.

I can't recommend this game to a halo fan and I can't recommend it to a cod fan. It's just a weird middle child that appeals to no one while attempting to appeal to everyone.

I only gave it a 1 because of the co-op aspect of the campaign. Without that mindless enjoyment, this game is not worth your time. Want a good multiplayer game? Halo collection or cod advanced warfare. Those are your best bets.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 2:36 PM PDT

Watch Dogs - Xbox 360
Watch Dogs - Xbox 360
Price: $19.99
115 used & new from $11.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Not even close to a must buy. Ubi tried too hard and failed., June 4, 2014
This review is from: Watch Dogs - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
You can tell this game was meant to be a starting point for a new franchise and they didn't even attempt to give it a solid start. They set up the main character about as well as a second grade english student would in their book report. None of the characters, even the main ones, have enough screen time or back story given for you to care about them. The whole story feels hollow and rushed. As far as the gameplay goes, there are good moments and frustrating moments. The good moments are really only fun if you enjoy freeroaming games, the worst moments are trying to avoid the cops at the end of certain missions. They are relentless and there is only one spot on the map that you can use to get away and it just feels like cheating since it's a spot the cops can't access.

Towards the end of the game, the story reaches a point of complete nonsense and incoherence. If you can tell what's going on and why, please let me know, I couldn't follow it nor did I care to. The ending is really four different endings, picture the LOTR return of the king "endings". Just like that. It seems like they didn't know how they should end the game so they just threw in all of the suggestions from the writers table.

As a standalone game, I would suggest you skip it entirely. As a starting point for a franchise, maybe it will have some value in the future when they flesh out the world and (surviving) characters more. But even then, I don't feel good about spending $60 on a game that's only existence is to make room for a new IP and not actually accomplish anything on it's own merit. It's a shame really, because the concept could have gone a lot further.

But then again, this is UBI, maybe they will pull an assassin's creed 2 with this franchise and WD2 will blow my mind. It remains to be seen.

Murdered: Soul Suspect X360
Murdered: Soul Suspect X360
Price: $10.99
67 used & new from $4.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent game overall! Must play!, June 4, 2014
The only problem I had with this game was the lag/choppiness in the xbox 360 version.
The story was excellent, the characters were well written. The gameplay is a more interactive version of LA Noire, which is my favorite game of all time. In Murdered, you feel more responsible for solving the crimes, the answers aren't just handed to you. It's a good trade off for not having an interrogation mode.
If you like mystery movies/games, you HAVE to play this. Whether you buy it or rent it. You won't regret it.

PROTOTYPE - Xbox 360
PROTOTYPE - Xbox 360
118 used & new from $2.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Garbage, May 29, 2014
This review is from: PROTOTYPE - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Avoid this mess of a game! It lures you in with the very fun intro level and then insults you with a horrible difficulty scale and infinite spawning enemies with a broken, 'hiding' system that makes the game unplayable halfway through. I have no idea why this game is so expensive but it doesn't deserve to be played by anyone. Even the easiest difficulty is impossible on certain missions. I want my two hours back that I already put into this garbage.

Page: 1 | 2