Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Music Essentials forum

'70s Progressive Rock

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 13, 2009 8:57:01 PM PST
Morly Grey's " The Only Truth"

Posted on Mar 7, 2009 5:34:21 PM PST
D. West says:
Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, VDGG, Camel, Pink Floyd and the list goes on...............................................

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 12:35:53 PM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
Some of it was good...but more of it was bad. For the good stuff, I'd take the first five Jethro Tull albums thru 'Thick As a Brick', most of ELP's stuff, Procol Harum, some early King Crimson, early Queen and Roxy Music (though perhaps they fall more under the category of 'glam rock'). I never cared for Yes and thought they were incredibly pretentious; same goes for Genesis. Pink Floyd I respect more than actually like, although I can admit that I still get enjoyment out of 'Dark Side of the Moon' and 'Wish You Were Here' when I listen to them. My vote for best progressive rock album would be ELP's 'Brain Salad Surgery' - I still think that's an amazing tour-de-force of ferocious playing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2009 9:04:52 PM PDT
On the Progressive Side -
- at the start of the revolution;

The Nice
The Moody Blues
King Crimson
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Jethro Tull
Genesis (w' Peter Gabriel)
Pink Floyd
Chicago (yea, Chicago)
Kate Bush
I hedge (only because he fits into so many categories)
but have to add - David Bowie

a wee bit later on but still a unique sound - Kansas

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 11:50:39 AM PDT
G. Hayes says:
My question is why has Prog all but dead in the U.S.A.?
There are plenty of amazing Prog bands today.
Anything Neal Morse (Spocks Beard, Transatlantic, Solo stuff), Spocks Beard (post Neal), Sieges Even, Flower Kings, Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Riverside, Proto-Kaw
Honestly the list goes on and on, but the point is, it's not recognized here in the States.

Of the 70's I like:
Yes, Moody Blues, Gentle Giant, Kansas, ELP, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 9:28:43 AM PDT
Steven Marks says:
My top ten prog albums - ten different artists

Spring by Spring - 3 mellotrons - very sweet
Ashes are Buring - Rennaisence
Close to Edge - Yes
Snow Goose - Camel
Blue Water - Vermillion Sands
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
Days of Future Past - Moody Blues
Per un amico - PFM
Demonds and Wizards - Uriah Heep
Dark Side of Moon - Pink Floyd

Happy listening

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 12:02:28 AM PDT
Inca Rhodes says:
My ten favorites, no particular order:

The Shaming of the True - Kevin Gilbert
Live In America - Transatlantic
B'Boom - King Crimson
Bursting Out - Jethro Tull
Live At The Rainbow - Focus
Seconds Out - Genesis
Roxy & Elsewhere - Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention
An Evening Of Yes Music Plus - Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe
Fire Merchants - Fire Merchants

I highly recommend giving the "internet streaming radio" at a listen.

And the 12-part "Evolution of Prog" podcasts archived at

I might not agree with "Papa J" 100% as to what is and what is not prog, but it is an excellent overview of Prog (and almost-Prog) through the '70s. At the very least, an opportunity to find out which artists capture your imagination enough to go on a buying spree...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2009 12:29:00 AM PST
dazza says:
Thanks for the link to the "Evolution of Prog" archive. Very good stuff..... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2009 9:19:35 PM PST
Joe Jenkins says:
Anything by The Strawbs but particularly Hero and Heroine and Ghosts.

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 12:03:21 AM PDT
Rocky G says:
Nice list Steven Marks i was suprised to see Uriah Heep in there but i guess Heavy Prog or Proto Prog counts i love the heep. For me Yes-Close To The Edge is my number one i love all three songs on the album and the title cut could be the best prog suite ever. Van Der Graaf Generator-H To The He Who Am The Only One would be in there same with Emerson, Lake And Palmer-Tarkus and Perhaps something by Focus. There was a prog band from Switzerland that released one album in 1977 there were called Island other than the great musicianship that album is terrible. Prog is tricky because it can go either way i believe if it is really good then it is leaps and bounds above all other music but if it is bad then its bad. I dont like prog that is weird for the sake of being weird take Genesis for example great band and i love some of the Peter Gabriel era but for the most part i find it to strange and hard to listen to take The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway album i have tried so many times to like that album but i just cant get into it does anyone feel the same????. Oh one more i love Kansas they were tight and Steve Walsh had a killer voice too bad he has lost it. Kansas were able to combine great prog songs and regular rock songs on the same album Kerry Livgren is a great songwriter.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010 9:53:19 PM PDT
alex says:
The prog genre is such a big one.. people say its dead or near to it but i say its booming in a lot of areas. Think of bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Mastodon.. These are all great prog bands from our time that pay great homage to the greats of the seventies (mastodons '"colony of birchmen" comes to mind). I really think alot of people who care about prog nowadays can thank them for sparking some flame. I know it was them that got me interested, well them and pink floyd.
My essential prog albums have gotta be..
(no order)
Pink floyd- a saucerful of secrets, the wall
Frank Zappa- hot rats
Tool- laterus (another modern great that introduced the genre to me)
King Crimson- 21st century (side one just about sums it up!)
Yes- fragile (side two..)
Rush- 2112 (probably the most essential.. havent heard much else by them i like but this..)
That about sums it up..

I guess im a little new to the genre yet considering i couldnt tell ya what ELP even sounds like.. Im not to big on Kansas either (atleast what ive heard- that just being the leftoverture album) there not bad but just dont do it for me. When im in the mood i spin it and really enjoy it but then im good on it for awhile. I was introduced to them from youtube and loved what i heard but i just havent found that yet again i guess. I love Blue Oyster Cult and think there very underrated.. Camel is pretty alright to- I only know there Live Record but its not bad at all. I certainly agree Livgren is one of the best songwriters of that era..

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2010 11:10:22 AM PDT
Bobby Logan says:
I don't get it either. I loooooove progressive rock and if I didn't have Rhapsody I would never know about great bands like porcupine tree ,Blackfield and glass hammer. They just don't know what they are missing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2010 11:12:15 AM PDT
Bobby Logan says:
I don't understand how music can be "pretentious" It is what it is.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 9:43:21 AM PST
Music Lover says:
The Shaggs

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:21:21 PM PST
Piehole says:
I agree - more bad than good. But the good was great. My dad had "Tarkus" by Emerson Lake and Palmer, and I have tried and tried over the years, but damn if can get into it. It's almost unlistenable. Hate to say it because I consider myself a music junkie and a lover of just about all styles, but generally speaking, my favorite prog is also the most accessible prog. When it ventures too far from center, it becomes quite a challenge. Yeah, I get it. That's why some people like it, and on occasion, I like to be challenged too, but more often, I'm not in that mood to be challenged. But "Karn Evil 9" rocks! As does "Yours Is No Disgrace". As does "Cross Eyed Mary" .....

To me, Pink Floyd isnt really prog. And they are THE most overrated group of all time. Not saying they dont have some good songs, but overall, way overrated.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Band of Gypsys
Band of Gypsys by Jimi Hendrix (Audio CD - 1998)
4.8 out of 5 stars (397)