Customer Discussions > Amazon.com Music Essentials forum

how come everyone knows the rock essentials but not the alternative rock essentials

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2008 6:04:05 PM PDT
Mac McOsker says:
whats up with that?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 6:28:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 27, 2010 1:44:02 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2008 11:24:04 AM PDT
L. Rankin says:
Nobody knows the alt rock essentials because that's part of what alt rock is. An alternative. To what most people like.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2008 4:19:49 PM PST
Sandy Singer says:
SOMETHING ABOUT THE HISTORY OF EARLY ROCK & ROLL, POSTED IN NEWSWEEK:
I have been a radio DJ since 1949. In 1946 I began listening to a black, now legendary, DJ named Al Benson, broadcasting from station, WHFC, on the south side of Chicago. When Decca sent me a copy of Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley it all came back to me, I had heard this music 10 years earlier. I contacted a Chicago music distributor, Milt Salstone, and asked if he would send me the original R&R recordings of the hits that were being covered by white artists, [Little Richard by Pat Boone], etc. -- I wanted the kids who listened to me to hear the originals. Received a lot of flack from the record companies [a bit of this in the below article] but continued to play the original black artists versions, they were raw and ruckus, but highly stimulating. Must have done something 'right' as I still hear from those kids that listened to me in the early '50s, on KCRG, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, a city 98% white.
www.SandySinger.biz
SinatraDJ@juno.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008 4:17:35 PM PST
Most people like crap. For an example, turn on your local classic-rock station. You'll be minutes away from Foreigner, Peter Frampton or the Doobie Brothers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 6:50:06 AM PST
What most people like is not crap,but,familiarity.That's why,as much as I like alternative music,I also like my Beatles,Stones,Who, and yes,Foreigner,Peter Frampton and the Doobies.So shoot me!

Posted on Apr 17, 2009 12:26:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2009 12:31:13 AM PDT
Mike S. says:
Ok, to start off being a music tech major, I am currently taking a history of production techniques/rock history class (up to 1985) that can easily answer this question. Most people listen to "classic rock" because it is timeless. Who knew back in the late 60's we would still be listening to the rolling stones, led zeppelin, the beatles, and so forth 40 years later. So because we are, it shows those records are more then just good albums, but also showcase a time in history. Because of this, many old folks like to reminisce about the past, and newer younger generations appreciate the good old rock and roll that influenced today's current music. The reason less people know the alternative rock classics is because they are still fairly recent, and even though most people would agree albums such as Nirvana's Nevermind will probably still be played 20 years later from now, we cannot tell all the albums that will since music fads come and go, leaving the most essentials left. Perhaps 20 years later we will re look at some of these alternative classics and still see which ones are still being popular sellers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Fumbling Towards Ecstasy by Sarah McLachlan (Audio CD - 1994)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (399)